Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computers / Laptops Tripping Plugs

Options
  • 26-12-2019 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

I have an issue where occasionally when I plug in a laptop or desktop computer, the switch trip and and I lose power to the plugs. The lights stay on.

It only every happens with laptops / computers and it's been happening for years. My wife's brand new Dell laptop caused it, my Macbook Air caused it, HP desktop PC caused it.

It doesn't happen all the time but I would say the majority of the time. Usually if you leave the laptop PSU plugged in and flip the trip switch back to the on position, everything is fine.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The two most likely possibilities are:

1) You have multiple faulty laptop chargers and PCs.
    2) There is an issue with this socket circuit.

If I were a betting man I would put my money in number 2

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭JL spark

2011 wrote: »
    The two most likely possibilities are:

1) You have multiple faulty laptop chargers and PCs.
    2) There is an issue with this socket circuit.

If I were a betting man I would put my money in number 2

:)
    Get your electrician to fit a dedicated circuit on a rcbo ,pcs might be pushing your rcd with earth leakage

Oversensitive RCD and PSU noise earth leakage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

When you say plug in, are you plugging it into an extension board by any chance? Is the socket switched or unswitched?

Advertisement