Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro to iPad Pro

Options
  • 26-12-2019 5:57pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I’ve a 2014 MacBook Pro. Thinking of upgrading it to an iPad Pro 12.9.

Would like to be able to use office 365 and AutoCAD a long with the usual iPad use.

The ability to hook up to a monitor would be useful also. Would be going for a full pen/case set up

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭FAMLEE

Stick with the Macbook Pro!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FAMLEE wrote: »
    Stick with the Macbook Pro!

Why? Third Gen iPad pros seem to be greeting very good,reviews with iPadOS

godtabh wrote: »
    Why? Third Gen iPad pros seem to be greeting very good,reviews with iPadOS

Even so, much more processing power in the macbook, its still a much more capable machine (despite being 5 years old) & can run the full verison of autocad as apposed to the mobile version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ones not a replacement for the other, if you haven't already put an SSD in the mbp that's about the best thing you can do for it.

The iPad pro 10.5 with the 120hz screen is the only one worth looking at, apple are moving to 120hz screens from the next generation of iPhones. Any iphone or iPad with a 60hz screen will feel archaic over night.

I couldn't imagine editing on an iPad, depends on what your using the iPad for but if it's what it's built for an iPad won't do.

I've both they complement each other.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have full versions of AutoCAD on the work pc. It was more of a case of been able to bring them with me as opposed to working on full CAD projects.

• Advertisement

I have full versions of AutoCAD on the work pc. It was more of a case of been able to bring them with me as opposed to working on full CAD projects.

Im not sure what to tell you, Overall the MBP you have is a much better overall machine and will handle tasks much easier. I always found iPads cumbersome to use, but hey if you like new shiny apple products and have the money why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,212 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Cash in the mbp then. I'm probably going to.

Cash in the mbp then. I'm probably going to.

That’s the plan if I do it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ones not a replacement for the other, if you haven't already put an SSD in the mbp that's about the best thing you can do for it.

The iPad pro 10.5 with the 120hz screen is the only one worth looking at, apple are moving to 120hz screens from the next generation of iPhones. Any iphone or iPad with a 60hz screen will feel archaic over night.

I couldn't imagine editing on an iPad, depends on what your using the iPad for but if it's what it's built for an iPad won't do.

I can’t see Apple putting 120hz screens in their phones 1) it’s a killer for battery life and because of that 2) that rate is only used for the pencil, which I don’t see the iPhone supporting either.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What do you want to use it for?
    I have the 3rd gen Pro 11” that I use for all my surveys, site visits and mark ups.
    I originally got it as I was due to upgrade the original iPad Air I had anyway and was looking for something to remove the pen and paper (waste) from my work.

I use noteability for my notes, surveys as you can draw in there too and then use a mixture of the above and the apple files system to have PDF’s of drawings when sitting with clients that I can mark up.

I still have to go back and draw the surveys properly on cad as I don’t think the iOS is there yet for it.

There could be more automation if you integrate the Leica disto app with tour disto tool but it depends on the person I suppose.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    What do you want to use it for?
    I have the 3rd gen Pro 11” that I use for all my surveys, site visits and mark ups.
    I originally got it as I was due to upgrade the original iPad Air I had anyway and was looking for something to remove the pen and paper (waste) from my work.

I use noteability for my notes, surveys as you can draw in there too and then use a mixture of the above and the apple files system to have PDF’s of drawings when sitting with clients that I can mark up.

I still have to go back and draw the surveys properly on cad as I don’t think the iOS is there yet for it.

There could be more automation if you integrate the Leica disto app with tour disto tool but it depends on the person I suppose.

We do very similar work and very similar reasons to use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We do very similar work and very similar reasons to use.

For elevation surveys I photo the elevation
    Insert into notability and overlay my measurements

120hz...way beyond your eyes ability to tell the difference :rolleyes:. You simply can’t tell the difference between 60hz and 120hz, it’s nothing but a poor attempt at trolling the Apple forum.

Advertisement