Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running a second bike

Options
  • 26-12-2019 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Commute to work on the bike so looking for a a new bike to do touring. How does insurance operate with Liberty in regards to using a second bike, how often and for how long can you transfer insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

Not sure about liberty, but some other insurers do a multi bike policy.

Carol Nash do for sure, costs very little to get an additional bike for the year.

You couldn't be transferring insurance between bikes, there would be an admin charge each time!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Liberty don't do multi bike, which is a pain in the hole. I had to throw away nearly a year of NCB with them to switch away.

Most if not all of the other insurers do, generally they charge the premium for the most risky bike and a nominal fee on top of that, given you're only riding one at once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Carole Nash and Principle both do multi-bike policies.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I was insured with Principle last year (TPF&T)

I enquired about adding an additional motorcycle and they said I'd have to have both of them garaged. So it was no problem having one outside in the back yard, but for two I had to have them both indoors. :confused:

I'm with Carole Nash this year, just in case I get the urge for a second bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

CN also do open ride.. you can drive any bike not in you name once it's taxed.

So you could ride the wife's motorbike no problem once you have your own insured 😉

3rd party only of course but good for a cheap hack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

CorkCBR6 wrote: »

So you could ride the wife's motorbike no problem once you have your own insured ��

I know a few of the car insurance companies have a 'spouse clause'* to prevent people doing this with cars.

*I suspect this is not what they call it but it was definitely in the fine print of one of the companies I've used recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Had a CN multi bike policy for years.
    Good value. Used to keep a track bike road legal for riding to track days.

Policy is set by most powerful bike, each additional bike was €50 or so to add, TPFT, up to the power of the first insured bike.

Had three on it at one stage. None of them worth very much, though.

Only cancelled it recently as I am now the owner of just one bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Had a CN multi bike policy for years.
    Good value. Used to keep a track bike road legal for riding to track days.

Policy is set by most powerful bike, each additional bike was €50 or so to add, TPFT, up to the power of the first insured bike.

Had three on it at one stage. None of them worth very much, though.

Only cancelled it recently as I am now the owner of just one bike.

Carol Nash will do fully comp on all bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

So you could ride the wife's motorbike no problem once you have your own insured 😉

Apparently taxed and insured the other bike needs to be.
    I had read through my policy and only stated tax and road worthy but when i rang to double check I was told nope, the other bike needs an active insurance policy for my policy to cover me.
    The same as Aviva do,where you can drive other cars as long as there insured in someway by someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

So you could ride the wife's motorbike no problem once you have your own insured ��

Open ride and riding other bikes are 2 completely different thing. Open ride means anyone can ride [/B]your[/B] bike, riding other bikes means you can anyone else's.

Be careful about that "wife" thing there, as what she owns you legally do too so technically isn't someone else's bike it's yours and therefore not applicable under riding other bikes extension.

Always always always always (I can keep going) check your own policy as these extensions aren't standardised so they vary from insurer to insurer and policy to policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

As has been said before, Liberty won't do multibike, they're the only ones on the market AFAIK that don't do it.

I've had a 2nd bike many times down the years, but have always found that one just gets left aside and not used. Like my backup bike right now is a Fazer 600, but I've lent it to my brother for the passed 2/3 years as I've had no use of it, so would rather he gets the pleasure of it.

It's all personal I suppose, I tend to have the one bike that I use for going in and out of work as well as driving all around the country on.

EDIT: Boo, can't delete a double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have three bikes on the one policy, the extra bikes aren't very much more than the highest risk. Interestingly the MSX125 is harder to insure than the older 650cc machines.

Advertisement