Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a single speed folding bike

Options
  • 26-12-2019 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I'm currently paying €8 a day for city parking for work.
    I'd like to park far away from the city centre in free parking and cycle in to save money.

I'd like to get a cheap, light folding bike.
    Something like the Vilano Urbana or Retrospec Judd.
    Both are listed on amazon for $219 however the Vilano doesn't ship to Ireland and the Retrospec has $165 import charges and shipping.
    I know there's lots of folding bikes on the market, I was looking at the Raleigh evo 2 in halfords for €300 but i'd love to get something much lighter and simpler (and hopefully a little cheaper) i.e. Less weight and less parts that can brake.

If anyone knows of a place to get a Vilano Urbana or similar (fixed speed, light, cheap, quick folding) bike in ireland i'd be very greatful. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sounds like you need a Raleigh 20 folder from the 1980's.
    Although "light" isn't a word often associated with them..... :D

Bought a 2nd hand B'twin Tilt 120 last summer, and its lighter than the 20, with much better brakes and more gears.
    Folds smaller too.
    Could do with a taller top gear for faster moving city traffic, I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I'm assuming Brompton are too expensive for what you want? They do single-speed versions that are very good, but they're probably somewhere around a grand.

Strida do a single-speed:
    https://www.foldingbike20.com/strida-lt-folding-bicycle-review/

No idea what they're like. Mixed reviews, I think. Ok for a few km, I think, but not for what you want.

Dahon do a single-speed called the Uno. Again, never used it, but Dahons have a pretty good reputation overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

have a single speed dahon speed uno I got second hand for 250-300. Mine is the one with a coaster rear brake. It's as simple as they come. I've not used it that much. As I stopped cycling shortly after I got it. Struggled to find fenders for it. It's great fun but if I was getting another I'd get one with a regular rear brake. The coaster is a pain for starting off, as you can't position the pedal where you like easily. I like the clutter free aspect though. Just a fun bike.

I have another folding bike with gears and fenders. I do like the gears but they tended to get knocked when using on the train. Didnt find one gear on the Uno a problem. The bike with gears is more upright and more comfortable. Probably more old fashioned looking though.

Other people might not notice it, but the Uno is a good bit lighter by a kilo or so. I feel it's significantly handier when lifting it. I was struggling with carrying the bikes on the over crowded trains. Partially why I stopped using them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

On a crowded space a Brompton is vastly superior for compactness. My dahons are 20" and probably the more compact folders at that size. (Some are abysmal mine are good). But a Brompton is much better.

Advertisement