Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best time to change credit cards to avoid double government stamp duty

Options
  • 27-12-2019 10:32am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking to switch to a different BOI credit card (have a premium one at the moment).

How do I do this to avoid paying two lots of the government charge, one when I close the premium card and getting charged again when I open a new one.

May also move away from BOI, how does that work and the fee I pay this April, is that for the year past or for 2020?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland Reps

Hi There,

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

If you would like to switch to another one of our Credit Cards you can certainly do so by contacting our Credit Card Team on 0818 251 251, one of my colleagues will be more than happy to help.

I have also attached a link here with a list of the Credit Cards we offer at Bank of Ireland which may help in your preparation of getting in touch with the team.

In relation to the Government Stamp Duty charged annually in April, this is charged in respect of the previous year. I have attached a link with more information on this.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Aisling.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks Aisling, the link is not working, can you please resend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kathryne

Hi there,

Thanks for linking back in with us.

We're very sorry that the link isn't working successfully. I've included it below for you to take a look. If you have any further queries on this please feel free to get back in touch and we'll do our best to help.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/e30-charge-credit-card-statement/

Wishing you a happy New Year.

Many thanks,
    Kat

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi there,

Thanks for linking back in with us.

We're very sorry that the link isn't working successfully. I've included it below for you to take a look. If you have any further queries on this please feel free to get back in touch and we'll do our best to help.

https://www.bankofireland.com/help-centre/faq/e30-charge-credit-card-statement/

Wishing you a happy New Year.

Many thanks,
    Kat

Thanks but the link does not explain how I avoid paying the charge twice should l switch to another BOI card or a card at another institution.

If I close my card now I'll be charged for 2019 but if I open a new card with you or someone else will i be charged a another fee straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Richard F

Hi there,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Government Stamp Duty would only be charged once as it is backdated to April 2019. If you have any other queries, it would be necessary to link in with our credit card services team on 1890251251.

Thanks and happy new year,

Richard

• Advertisement
Advertisement