Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why and when did skinny jeans become fashionable for men?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Slim aren't that much different from normal to be fair, just don't have the width around the ankle as straight cut. I'm a chunky lad myself and I look perfectly normal in slim fit.

Skinny are a different beast entirely. Ridiculous looking on any man of any age. But I'll agree its nowhere near as stupid a trend as the no socks and trousers not speaking to their ankles.

Was at a work Christmas do a few weeks back and spotted a fella coming out. Wearing an ugly check suit, kinda shyte McGregor would wear. Top knot and bow tie (seeing a definite McGregor theme) and to top it off these ugly-as-sin slip on shoes, no socks, and I swear his trousers stopped a good 8 inches from the shoe. About a third of his shin was visible.

Hey its a free world, and he's perfectly free to wear what he pleases.

And I'm perfectly free to roll my eyes and shake my head at the plain stupidity of it all.

Best of it is, I work in an all female (other than myself) office. Age range from 19 to 55. Not a single solitary one of them find that look attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Skinny/slim fit is just a better clean look all around aesthetically.

Are you sayin I look duurty? All the jeans are made for the leggy rakes now I’ll manage to source a pair of ‘straight’ aka slim and then hem about 8 inches off the yokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭Millicently

Hmmmm, sounds like a good idea not to be threated like the husband ;)
    'threated'? Have you been on the sauce?

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Slim aren't that much different from normal to be fair, just don't have the width around the ankle as straight cut. I'm a chunky lad myself and I look perfectly normal in slim fit.

Skinny are a different beast entirely. Ridiculous looking on any man of any age. But I'll agree its nowhere near as stupid a trend as the no socks and trousers not speaking to their ankles.

Was at a work Christmas do a few weeks back and spotted a fella coming out. Wearing an ugly check suit, kinda shyte McGregor would wear. Top knot and bow tie (seeing a definite McGregor theme) and to top it off these ugly-as-sin slip on shoes, no socks, and I swear his trousers stopped a good 8 inches from the shoe. About a third of his shin was visible.

Hey its a free world, and he's perfectly free to wear what he pleases.

And I'm perfectly free to roll my eyes and shake my head at the plain stupidity of it all.

Best of it is, I work in an all female (other than myself) office. Age range from 19 to 55. Not a single solitary one of them find that look attractive.
    What is it with men wearing brown brogues with navy suits? It's atrocious and tacky.

Mushy wrote: »
    Went shopping for jeans last week, very little sign of regular ones. And if they did, was either way too small or way too big. Tried on some straight ones, it's just too tight. If didnt get long ones, they'd be too short.

Skinny ones are ridiculous. Throw in the no socks and it's just terrible
    Now you know how women feel when they're shopping for jeans. All the jeans are low waist and skin tight and highlight all the wobbly bits that women would rather not be seen. The jeans are designed for the under 30's usually at waif like teenagers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

I'm 40, not tall, in decent shape and quite slim. I only switched to skinny jeans (not over kill skinny, just comfortably skinny) a few years ago. It's only since then that jeans actually fit me. Crotch area is a different issue but at least the legs are comfy now and look half decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Gerry G wrote: »
    Seriously, they must be the most uncomfortable things to wear by a country mile. Thankfully I'm too old to engage in this phenomenon but Jaysus it's painful to watch all these young lads waddling around in them. They are too tight to be pulled up properly so the old kacks are always on display. They must crush the old nut sack to dangerous levels of discomfort and they look ridiculous yet still the young chaps flock to by them. Mostly accompanied by ankle socks and those ludicrous Toms slip on canvas shoes. So I ask ya, what's the attraction?

It doesn't bother me because they will never have offspring to pass their jeans to...

***Crickets***

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭Biodegradable

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have leg muscles so could never wear them
    So does Ronaldo!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Any man over the age of 40 who wears skinny jeans just looks ridiculous. I don't care how well toned they are, women just find it hilarious, if my husband came home with a pair I wouldn't know whether to laugh or be worried that he might be having a mid life crisis, still if it was a midlife crisis it would be cheaper than a sports car.

I look awesome in skinny jeans over 40 thanks. Doesn’t suit many an Irish lad though so I can understand all the haters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Are you sayin I look duurty? All the jeans are made for the leggy rakes now I’ll manage to source a pair of ‘straight’ aka slim and then hem about 8 inches off the yokes.

It's a better look than bootcut jeans IMO.

I'm not a fan of the 'spray on' type skinny jeans TBH. Looks a bit too feminine for me.

But regular stretch skinny/slim/chino looks good and is actually genuinely very comfortable to wear.

As regards no show socks... I like to wear them with shorts and casual shoe/runner, so for me only summer use or if I'm running. Not really a fan of the ankle showing and short trouser/jeans look. A bit too Mr. McGregor for me.

I do cuff jeans/chinos though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

'threated'? Have you been on the sauce?

Yeah :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think they look hot on men and I'm glad it became a trend :)

flatface wrote: »
    I look awesome in skinny jeans over 40 thanks. Doesn’t suit many an Irish lad though so I can understand all the haters.
    You mean you think you look awesome in skinny jeans, you may very well look fantastic in them but most men over 40 just don't and it's not even about the condition someone is in, it just looks a bit desperate and midlife crisis, a bit like 50 year old women wearing miniskirts and telling people that they look more like their teenage daughters sister than her mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

I can't wait till I reach my midlife crisis :D I'll have the money to buy what I want, and the attraction of younger and older women. Will be great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

You mean you think you look awesome in skinny jeans, you may very well look fantastic in them but most men over 40 just don't and it's not even about the condition someone is in, it just looks a bit desperate and midlife crisis, a bit like 50 year old women wearing miniskirts and telling people that they look more like their teenage daughters sister than her mother.

Women compliment me and men curse me wherever I go.

People should wear whatever looks good on them, what looks silly is someone wearing clothes that don’t suit them just because Fashion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They look ok on some people but they certainly do not look good on many and especially those fellas that have bulked up on top but missed leg day...to anyone that fits that bill..you look plain stupid.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They look ok on some people but they certainly do not look good on many and especially those fellas that have bulked up on top but missed leg day...to anyone that fits that bill..you look plain stupid.

4384854463_a9687d76ac_z.jpg?zz=1

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Tights have literally been around since the medieval era. The stupidity of complaining about ‘kids these days’ wearing tights is probably lost on you all.

https://www.gq.com/gallery/men-in-tights-history

Denim is just fabric. Tights been around for centuries.

I dont wear them, but why whinge about this?
    if we stopped calling them skinny jeans and everyone referred to them as "denim tights" it might give some lads pause for thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

Men are morphing into women. Won't be any men left. Shaped eyebrows fake tan. Its getting weird out there. Male genitals are disappearing anyway so the jeans won't bother them. Only the strong survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's just another one of these trends that will go away in a few years.
    I'm in my late twenties and things that were popular a few years ago aren't now.

I do think one difference now though is guys really believe they are being really fashionable however they can be brutal at knowing when to wear something and when not to.
    Example: Wearing no socks is fine it may not be for me.
    However it looks brutal with a work uniform or a traditinal type suit.

• Advertisement

I can't wait till I reach my midlife crisis :D I'll have the money to buy what I want, and the attraction of younger and older women. Will be great imo.
    Can you afford the women?:D Young girls aren't interested in older men unless there's a financial incentive. I'm sure all the 20 something year old girls hanging off elderly men genuinely love them for their bodies and their personalities.

It's just another one of these trends that will go away in a few years.
    I'm in my late twenties and things that were popular a few years ago aren't now.

I do think one difference now though is guys really believe they are being really fashionable however they can be brutal at knowing when to wear something and when not to.
    Example: Wearing no socks is fine it may not be for me.
    However it looks brutal with a work uniform or a traditinal type suit.

Skinny jeans have been around since the late 70's and early to late 80's.

People always seem to think that this is a recent phenomenon. It really is not. It's something of a misnomer thing.

I give you Phil Lynott:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

2.14pm on August 29, 1997

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Acosta

Not a good look for me as I have big hips. Plus they are desperately uncomfortable and I can't understand why anyone would want to wear them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Can’t wait until this particular fashion trend fades out.....have never seen a man look good in skinny jeans.....and always make them look like their feet are too big for their body !! ��

People always seem to think that this is a recent phenomenon. It really is not. It's something of a misnomer thing.

I give you Phil Lynott:

The trend of them being popular and cool will go away and people will move onto something else.

The trend of them being popular and cool will go away and people will move onto something else.

Perhaps, although I think we live in too different times for that to be the case.

Flares could well come back in fashion in time but it's not exactly a functional clean look.

I reckon the fitted look in general is here to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

There was a neighbour of mine diagonally across the aisle at midnight mass on Tuesday wearing a pair of skinny chino type trousers, now he's in reasonable shape for his 40's but his trousers were so tight that every time he sat or knelt they rode up a little bit more so by the Our Father they were mid calf, not a good look.

Perhaps, although I think we live in too different times for that to be the case.

Flares could well come back in fashion in time but it's not exactly a functional clean look.

I reckon the fitted look in general is here to stay.

I think we're worst than even for people following trends it would take a few famous instagramers to cause an change with some people.
    There is a difference between a fitted look and skinny jeans.
    Skinny tight jeans that are to short for you are as impractical as flares.

Seamai wrote: »
    There was a neighbour of mine diagonally across the aisle at midnight mass on Tuesday wearing a pair of skinny chino type trousers, now he's in reasonable shape for his 40's but his trousers were so tight that every time he sat or knelt they rode up a little bit more so by the Our Father they were mid calf, not a good look.

I'm only 32! :eek:

• Advertisement

I think we're worst than even for people following trends it would take a few famous instagramers to cause an change with some people.
    There is a difference between a fitted look and skinny jeans.
    Skinny tight jeans that are to short for you are as impractical as flares.

Again it depends on the material of the skinny jean.

Stretch skinny or even better slim fit jeans are pretty comfortable and it's a cleaner fitted look then, say, bootcut or flares which soak up water on the street.

Not good.

But again fashion is subjective and ultimately people like what they like.

Again it depends on the material of the skinny jean.

Stretch skinny or even better slim fit jeans are pretty comfortable and it's a cleaner fitted look then, say, bootcut or flares which soak up water on the street.

Not good.

But again fashion is subjective and ultimately people like what they like.

I said skinny tight jeans were impractical.
    I never said nothing about slim fitting Jean's.
    You don't need to bold everything.
    We can read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm over 30 I wear gap skinny very comfortable and great fit. They look far better on people than something like straight or bootcut.

I said skinny tight jeans were impractical.
    I never said nothing about slim fitting Jean's.
    You don't need to bold everything.
    We can read.

How are they impractical?

Relax yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I give you Phil Lynott:

The skinny jeans around now are a lot tighter that that. They are elasticated and contour around the calves,now.
    In the late 80s I used to take in my tight fit Levi's to look somewhat like the ones in the pic.

I still prefer a slim cut jeans but I don't like the jeggings look around now - or the bare ankles.

How are they impractical?

Relax yourself.

Well I've seen guys in them having difficulty bending over, seating or them tearing due to the tightness of them.
    Then when they are to short and wear no socks they complain about being cold.
    They are also fair useless if you need to carry things around in your pockets without a big bulge on show.

Your the one with the bold issue. Your the one who needs to relax yourself.

Well I've seen guys in them having difficulty bending over, seating or them tearing due to the tightness of them.
    Then when they are to short and wear no socks they complain about being cold.
    They are also fair useless if you need to carry things around in your pockets without a big bulge on show.

Your the one with the bold issue. Your the one who needs to relax yourself.

Well they need to buy better jeans then.

I like to highlight the most relevant parts of a post :D

Well they need to buy better jeans then.

I like to highlight the most relevant parts of a post :D

Thanks for letting me know.
    I was thinking it was caused by the tightness of your jeans.

The skinny jeans around now are a lot tighter that that. They are elasticated and contour around the calves,now.
    In the late 80s I used to take in my tight fit Levi's to look somewhat like the ones in the pic.

I still prefer a slim cut jeans but I don't like the jeggings look around now - or the bare ankles.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the spray on Skinny jeans TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

D3V!L wrote: »
    I have leg muscles so could never wear them

Yawn. These threads come up every few months. TL:DR old bloke's don't get fashion. It's not a shocking revelation.

But as it happens, they're made of stretching denim so they're actually very comfortable - I only have experience of the reasonably skinny ones, not the spray on ones.

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believe it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making any headlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yawn. These threads come up every few months. TL:DR old bloke's don't get fashion. It's not a shocking revelation.

But as it happens, they're made of stretching denim so they're actually very comfortable - I only have experience of the reasonably skinny ones, not the spray on ones.

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believer it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making and headlines.

Exactly.

If somebody called EL Duderino can't lay down the law on skinny jeans, who can?

The ones who think their balls are too big are being a bit too generous to themselves. Believer it or not, they actually fit clothes to the body shape these days.

But ultimately the statement “old boys don’t get why young people do things differently” isn’t making and headlines.
    40's and 50's isn't old. Being in your 40's+ trying to dress like a 20 something makes a man look old and pathetic. If you like skinny jeans and you're happy in them then that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭seamusk84

When I was in my early twenties and late teens it was all about boot cut and flared jeans. (Keep in mind I am 35 now)

Mad how it is all swings and roundabouts when it comes to jeans over time. These days I just sport the regular straight leg fit.

Thanks for letting me know.
    I was thinking it was caused by the tightness of your jeans.

You're welcome ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Now you know how women feel when they're shopping for jeans. All the jeans are low waist and skin tight and highlight all the wobbly bits that women would rather not be seen. The jeans are designed for the under 30's usually at waif like teenagers.

They're not designed for humans at all. I have been underweight for most of my life, and I have problems getting skinny jeans that fit. Mostly because my feet won't make it all the way through the legs of the jeans, but more recently because they are about four or five inches too short for my legs. I have stopped buying trousers in the likes of Penneys because they seem to think that all women are shorter than 5' and have no feet or shoulders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

I give you Phil Lynott:

These are not really the type of skinny jeans lads are wearing. They are more punk rocker type jeans. I disagree with an earlier poster that modern skinny jeans are tighter. Nowadays they seem loose yet skinny at the same time. Depends on the body type tho, jeans will look different depending on the person. I don't have long legs so they have that sort of baggy look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's odd. I mean its a fashion item that was really invented only for a woman's body.

My brother wears fitted jeans ..but not skinnies. Even skinny guys i know find them uncomfortable in the eh crotch area.

Plus apparently it bad for their fertility. Its all the heat and nut crushing.

Reminds me of the mighty boosh episode when Vince Noir wanted to wear skinnier jeans than anyone and tried to whither his legs down by only using a wheelchair.

Doesn't matter how little you walk guys you will never be skinnier than this guy

Obviously if you are gay ...carry on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

These are not really the type of skinny jeans lads are wearing. They are more ounck rocker type jeans

The fabric in those days wouldn't hold its clinginess the way lycra blends can now. They were punk/rock because that's who wore them. If you were wearing them, you weren't following fashion trends .

Are there any youth sub cultures any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Sardonicat wrote: »
    The fabric in those days wouldn't hold its clinginess the way lycra blends can now. They were punk/rock because that's who wore them. If you were wearing them, you weren't following fashion trends .

Are there any youth sub cultures any more?

Hypebeasts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

OP wears boot cut wranglers "The dirty looking eejit"

• Advertisement
Advertisement