Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crappy presents - Candles

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

lol wasn’t smoking it, was amazed myself to find it was the candle, seriously google black up nostril with yankee candle

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mlem123

In theory I like candles but in reality as a guy I find it hard to get one's I like the scent of.
    I remember Aldi did them a few years ago but I haven't seen anything really since that.

I know they're kinda pricey but if you liked the Aldi ones you might like tghe Paul Costello range of candles in Dunnes! Amber Blush is the one I really liked but there's a good few to choose from

I'm so picky with scents and hate anything too sweet or floral! I'm not even a big fan of Christmas scents, but will put up with them to nostalgia :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,997 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm also a little cautious about giving people candles just encase they burn the house down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Candles can be nice to get but if the OP's wife has had enough of them she needs to speak up and point people in a different direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

r3nu4l wrote: »
    One person's 'spring meadow', is another's 'wet dog'.
    begbysback wrote: »
    I used to like them but you get black stuff up your nostrils from them
    New Home wrote: »
    You do know you're not supposed to smoke them, right? :pac:

This is a hilarious thread! Can't stop laughing at these comments! :D I've only ever given one candle as a present, €12 from the Arnott's bargain basement, I was told that the recipient loved candles. Job done!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    One of my relatives and I had a chat about the candle thing before the candles it was a craze of bags of pot porri!!

Before the pot pourri there was the bath salts. Remember those cubes of thrush inducing poshness from the poundshops that you'd fire into the bath for a special occasion? Flake optional... :pac:

I like candles, but I'm a bit fussy about scents. Some Christmas scents are ok but a lot are awful. I like citrusy themed ones.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Do I show my age if I say that not only do I remember bath salts, but I have also used them and was delighted to get them as presents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭DvB

My Mrs is a big fan of candles but over the christmas tends to go through a load of tea lights rather than lighting big scented ones. We have a few decorations that hold tea lights and she keeps them going for as long as the decorations stay up.

Neither of us really like the christmassy scented ones and when we've been gifted them in the past light them only for short spells as they can be quite overpowering if left burning too long.

In saying that if we received any as a gift in the past we've definitely kept them (or so i've been told anyway) but i don't really remember getting many of them.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

My wife loves them but I can't get my head around the fact the people will pay €17 for a smelly candle, really!

BTW bought her a couple for Christmas, definite brownie points earned.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    My wife loves them but I can't get my head around the fact the people will pay €17 for a smelly candle, really!

BTW bought her a couple for Christmas, definite brownie points earned.

Don't look up Molton Brown candles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Or jo Malone candle !!

I still do Dead Sea bath salts. More to help with a skin problem. They really help though. Those others had all sorts of rubbish in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,374 ✭✭✭bladespin

Don't look up Molton Brown candles!

:eek:

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

I can only recall receiving two candles in my life, both were Jo Malone candles for my 40th birthday two years ago and they smelt absolutely divine, regifted one to my sister for christmas as I don't use candles much

My mother lit a yankee candle and I didn't get much of a smell of it, the only one I can recall being able to smell once lit is a Jo Malone candle I bought years ago, in fact I finally used it all up after I received the ones for my birthday

If I was to buy a candle for myself I'd like to get something that has the strong scent of a Jo Malone candle but for a lot cheaper than a JM candle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I prefer using essential oils to perfume the home.
    Prefer non-perfumed candles, in cream colour.
    When I lived in Ireland I used to buy the Kinsale candles, are they still in business ?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

I'm with you on the essential oils. Theres one called winter magic by Atlantic and its Christmas in a little bottle.
    I do love non scented candles. I remember one year getting a pack of 100 tea lights. The person who have me the present said he knew I liked candles... ðŸ˜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Mutleyboo wrote: »
    I'm with you on the essential oils. Theres one called winter magic by Atlantic and its Christmas in a little bottle.
    I do love non scented candles. I remember one year getting a pack of 100 tea lights. The person who have me the present said he knew I liked candles... ðŸ˜

Tea lights are so handy though !
    I use lavender oil in Spring/Summer, and in Autumn/Winter I switch to something more Christmassy. Currently going through a ginger oil phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Probably the most useful present I got!

Love ginger oil, it mixes lovely with a citrus oil for something fresh or I love it with cederwood or frankincense in the evening to relax with..

I'm not sure if I posted this but I don't really like giving people candles incase they burn the house down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm still trying to chase down a specific scented candle my sister got given many years ago, that's basically the distilled smell of Christmas. The gifter cannot remember where they bought it!

Its basically cinnamon and other spices but nothing ever smells quite right. May be a touch of pine to it even.

I'd use candles quite a bit normally anyway, bought some slate placemats - which would now be seen as quite tacky I guess - specifically to use drippier pillar candles on without risk of destroying my ten quid cardboard IKEA coffee table and so on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Whilst I love candles. most scented ones make me wheeze, bar the really expensive ones. Yankee Candles tend to be re-gifted- and as a primary teacher I end up giving them to charity shops etc. it's a pity, but some children love to give gifts and being honest, a thoughtful card or even a nice note is really appreciated.

A good quality plain candle is better than a few cheaper scented ones, if you you buying them as presents.For our house, I use essential oils for the "Christmas smell," A parent gave me an electric oil burner which is safe than a flame, obviously, but still needs to be monitored. She also included oils. Far too much money to be spending by her, but the idea was lovely.

• Advertisement

Going wildly off topic, but when did parents buying presents for teachers start?

We got our year head a nice watch, between 150 of us (well, I'd say less than half contributed) in Sixth Year and I suspect that was the only present I ever saw a teacher getting. And I'm not that old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

L1011 wrote: »
    Going wildly off topic, but when did parents buying presents for teachers start?

We got our year head a nice watch, between 150 of us (well, I'd say less than half contributed) in Sixth Year and I suspect that was the only present I ever saw a teacher getting. And I'm not that old!

I assumed it was from the kid and most likely primary school...?:)

L1011 wrote: »

I went to school in the 1990's and it was a thing then.

I went to school in the 1990's and it was a thing then.

So did I, in a "posh" area, and the Gaelscoil that scooped up the fancier kids opened a few years behind me so wasn't an option (:pac:) - and nothing, nobody did it.

(trying to haul back to the forum topic at least...)
    We did have a Christmas card exchange one year that basically turned in to a popularity contest and was never repeated again; one unpopular kid 'sent' one to basically everyone else and got nothing in return

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Or jo Malone candle !!

I still do Dead Sea bath salts. More to help with a skin problem. They really help though. Those others had all sorts of rubbish in them.

You you mean the €100+ range....I know they have ones for half that but seems there is a wide range of brands and a wide price range to go with them.

https://www.brownthomas.com/brown-thomas-navigation-catalog/fresh-fig-cassis-ceramic-candle-300g/149495056.html?cgid=root#q=Jo%2Bmalone%2Bcandles&lang=en_IE&start=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'd consider candles a crappy one too. And flowers. Even wine. None of those things float my boat.

Advertisement