Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WiFi adapter for pc

• 27-12-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I bought a pc for Xmas for my son and had to buy a WiFi adapter for it to receive internet but every time he turns on the pc it slows my Android and makes it lag and sometimes it cuts out the internet is there anything I could do to resolve this ,would I have the same problem if I connected a wire from the modem to the pc ?? Any ideas please

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

I bought a pc for Xmas for my son and had to buy a WiFi adapter for it to receive internet but every time he turns on the pc it slows my Android and makes it lag and sometimes it cuts out the internet is there anything I could do to resolve this ,would I have the same problem if I connected a wire from the modem to the pc ?? Any ideas please
    Who is your ISP?

Sounds like new PC just eat up all your bandwidth.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

Who is your ISP?

Sounds like new PC just eat up all your bandwidth.

It’s eir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Either:

A) You've a terribly slow connection (<10Mb if not <3Mb) and any real use is just pinning you to 100% load

OR

B) He's slamming your connection with game updates or torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ED E wrote: »
    Either:

A) You've a terribly slow connection (<10Mb if not <3Mb) and any real use is just pinning you to 100% load

OR

B) He's slamming your connection with game updates or torrents.

C) Window Updates.

Id put money on Window updates due to being a new PC

Headshot wrote: »
    C) Window Updates.

Id put money on Window updates due to being a new PC

What’s the solution

• Advertisement

Turn off PC

Install
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.gworld&hl=en
    On your phone

Stand near the router.
    Run test.

That'll give a *rough* idea of how much you have to work with. Then we can advise.

Turn off PC

Install
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.gworld&hl=en
    On your phone

Stand near the router.
    Run test.

That'll give a *rough* idea of how much you have to work with. Then we can advise.

What s the app for the iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Speedtest by Ookla available from the App Store

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

but every time he turns on the pc it slows my Android and makes it lag

Talk about mixed messages here lady.

• Advertisement

Talk about mixed messages here lady.

Android box sorry

Android box sorry

6.02 download

2.76 upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

6.02 download

2.76 upload

So you are referring to an android box. Is this to watch streaming tv/movies ?

Netflix/Amazon Prime should be fine with that as long as your sons PC isn't doing massive downloads. Other services may not.

As others have pointed out: windows updates are one culprit. If he is downloading games/game updates and or torrents, it'll take the entire connection at those speeds.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There are so many possible causes, I would take them one at a time. So, no. 1.....

As someone else pointed out, a new PC may be downloading sizeable software updates. So, leave the PC on for a few hours (or overnight) and let it do it's business, and see whether the problem with your android box persists.

If it was me, I would pull up the task manager and check what the network stats were on the PC. That would visibly show you the bandwidth being taken up by the updates. Also, on the android box, set the apps not to auto update. Set it so you have to do that manually.

Advertisement