Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best phone international calls

Options
  • 27-12-2019 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭

Looking for phone packages that offer best price for international calls to landlines.

It's for old relative so they can't use Skype, what's app etc. All they want is to ring friends in Canada.

They can't get a landline themselves so looking for best mobile option

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Tesco 3c to landlines, 1c to mobiles (Canada)
    https://www.tescomobile.ie/roaming-and-international.aspx

Lyca charge 1c per minute to Canada landline and mobile if you opt in to their Saver rate, the only catch is you must opt in every month. Otherwise it's 2c per minute.
    https://www.lycamobile.ie/en/rates/#/international

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

1890 numbers now come out of inclusive minutes so you could call Canada using a service like DialWise:

https://www.dialwise.ie

***Apologies, DialWise have blocked calls from mobiles using the 1890 number. The inclusive 1890 deal will only work from landlines***

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

muffinhead wrote: »
    1890 numbers now come out of inclusive minutes so you could call Canada using a service like DialWise:

The unlimited minutes with a GoMo sim at €9.99 per month would allow your relative to call Canada at no extra cost using the 1890 access number. However, if they forgot to dial the access number, GoMo would charge them 50c per minute for calling Canada directly :eek: .
    Thanks for reminding me about Dialwise. I used to use it to call Canada from a landline and it was a great service. I'm not sure how Dialwise earns revenue from this operation but I always imagined they got a cut of the 1890 call charge.
    I wonder how they can continue to operate under this new charging regime where the call is included in free minutes packages?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

muffinhead wrote: »

The unlimited minutes with a GoMo sim at €9.99 per month would allow your relative to call Canada at no extra cost using the 1890 access number. However, if they forgot to dial the access number, GoMo would charge them 50c per minute for calling Canada directly :eek: .

They currently have no mobile at the moment. So they want to use the phone to dial Irish mobile numbers also. They want to use bill pay so no issues regarding topping up. Bills can be paid and checked by us. Don't want astronomical bills something manageable.

For dial wise does it have to be on any particular network or is it the case that you dial the dial wise number first wait for the dial tone then dial the Canadian landline number as if dialling from a landline? No sub charges for dial wise?

Need to look more into their website.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

They currently have no mobile at the moment. So they want to use the phone to dial Irish mobile numbers also. They want to use bill pay so no issues regarding topping up. Bills can be paid and checked by us. Don't want astronomical bills something manageable.

For dial wise does it have to be on any particular network or is it the case that you dial the dial wise number first wait for the dial tone then dial the Canadian landline number as if dialling from a landline? No sub charges for dial wise?

Need to look more into their website.

Thanks
    Last time I used dialwise, it didn't matter what network you were on. You simply dialed the appropriate number listed on their site for the country you wished to call and entered the personal phone number, including the international country code, when prompted. I'm not aware of any catches - I had no problems anyway and it did what it said on the tin.

I recommended dialwise to a number of elderly relatives over the years, even setting up speed dial for it on their landline cordless phones to make it easier. Only one ever used it, with no problems - the others reckoned there had to be a catch somewhere and continued to pay through the nose for international calls.

I'd still love to know how dialwise can make money out of this under the new pricing regime for 1890 etc numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Lissavane wrote: »
    I recommended dialwise to a number of elderly relatives over the years, even setting up speed dial for it on their landline cordless phones to make it easier. Only one ever used it, with no problems - the others reckoned there had to be a catch somewhere and continued to pay through the nose for international calls.

I'd still love to know how dialwise can make money out of this under the new pricing regime for 1890 etc numbers.

Dialwise and earlier incarnations like Telesaver are a great deal.

The amount they receive won't necessarily change under the new arrangements, they don't know what deal you have with the mobile operator.

One of my first mobile phones had a feature where if you held down the send button it dialled the prefix before the number in the phone. Very useful in those days when calls were seriously expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

https://keepcalling.com/ [Dublin Access Number = 01-5262994]
    0.7c To call Canada Landlines

Credit does not expire and the quality is very good.

Their web interface is great ....
    You can program in 100 speed-dial on the their website.
    You can also program in numbers you will be calling FROM for pinless dialling.

Dialwise to Canada is 15 cents/min using a mobile (1890 is not allowed).
    That's more than 22 times dearer that keepcalling.

Also ....

Tesco mobile seems best option

Call to Canada landline is 10c for 1st minute then 3c per minute after that. This is on the €10 per month plan and 100 minutes and 100 texts in Ireland.

The doro 6520 looks okay

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

eirman wrote: »
    Dialwise to Canada is 15 cents/min using a mobile (1890 is not allowed).

I have updated my post to reflect this info, I didn't realise Dialwise had blocked mobile calls to their 1890 number.

• Advertisement

Tesco mobile seems best option

Call to Canada landline is 10c for 1st minute then 3c per minute after that. This is on the €10 per month plan and 100 minutes and 100 texts in Ireland.

How can Tesco to Canada be be better when it is 4 times the cost of KeepCalling?

How can 100 minutes calls/texts for €10 be better than unlimited calls/texts for €10 (from GOMO)?
    (Not to mention 80 Gigs of 4G data with tethering allowed)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

https://www.call13434.ie/rates

5cent connect, 2cent per minute. No need to pay upfront. Dublin 01 number to call.

Can you used from the app, or local number mobile or landline. Different unlimited packages, or buy bulk minutes in advnace.

https://www.rebtel.com/en/#{%22country%22:%22CA%22,%22currency%22:%22EUR%22}

eirman wrote: »
    How can Tesco to Canada be be better when it is 4 times the cost of KeepCalling?

How can 100 minutes calls/texts for €10 be better than unlimited calls/texts for €10 (from GOMO)?
    (Not to mention 80 Gigs of 4G data with tethering allowed)

Relative is in their 80s and keep calling bit complicated for them. They don't need data as for tethering try explain that to half deaf relative.

Tesco easiest for convenience maybe not price but reasonable enough

• Registered Users Posts: 6,802 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Could install Yolla and tell her to use that icon for calling international numbers.

Relative is in their 80s and keep calling bit complicated for them.

Keepcalling is really really simple to use once it's setup.
    The setting up is a little complicated - but you will do that for them.
    Setup a speed-dial for Keepcalling's Dublin Number on the mobile (no pin needed).
    Program in the Canadian numbers on their website.

TO USE: Relative presses the speed dial you programmed,
    Keepcalling will ask "what number do you want to call" .... They then ...
    Press 1 to call person A in Canada
    Press 2 to call person B in Canada
    Press 3 to call person C in Canada
    etc.

If they want someone else on 4 they can call you and you add it from your home computer.

A speed dial followed by one digit is as simple as it gets

Even simpler ....
    For one button calling of Person C in Canada,
    Program this into speed-dial #3
    01-5262994,3

The comma is a two second pause.
    Press the *+# key and you should see Pause(,) key.

PM me if you want help with this

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

What would be the cheapest to ring a UK.mobile?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Pekarirska

Viber out - €6 a month

Vodafone Red Unlimited 30 day - €35 a month

Both offer unlimited calls to myriad of European mobile and landline numbers.

Advertisement