Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about newborn

• 27-12-2019 5:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭

I'm a first time mother and have a few questions. My 5 week old son is sleeping great at night thank god and has about 3 naps throughout the day. Should I try to put him into a quiet dark room (his co-sleeper in our bedroom) for his daytime naps or should I be keeping him in brightness and noise, so he knows it's the daytime?

I've started a nice routine now in the evenings of a feed and bath time and he goes to sleep in his co-sleeper for me with white noise. I'll watch him on the baby monitor downstairs then. We don't really have a schedule or routine for during the day - I just feed and let him nap whenever suits him. Do people have a schedule/routine for the day with their babies? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I'm a first time mother and have a few questions. My 5 week old son is sleeping great at night thank god and has about 3 naps throughout the day. Should I try to put him into a quiet dark room (his co-sleeper in our bedroom) for his daytime naps or should I be keeping him in brightness and noise, so he knows it's the daytime?

I've started a nice routine now in the evenings of a feed and bath time and he goes to sleep in his co-sleeper for me with white noise. I'll watch him on the baby monitor downstairs then. We don't really have a schedule or routine for during the day - I just feed and let him nap whenever suits him. Do people have a schedule/routine for the day with their babies? Thanks!

I don’t know if there’s any right or wrong answer, but I’ve always kept my babies downstairs for daytime naps until they were much older than that! My kids are all heavy sleepers, can sleep through lots of noise, and I suppose that’s why.
    And I wouldn’t worry about routines either at that stage, it’s only an added stress when the baby decides to rebel against routine! Everyone is different though, if you ask 10 people you’ll probably get 10 different answers. And then you’ll get ten more answers from the people you don’t ask at all, lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Personally I would always keep a baby that tiny close to me where I could see him when asleep . During the day I would have him downstairs with noise and lights and where I could see him .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Don't worry about routines.
    I always moved mine into their basket/cot for naps from about 11 weeks on, and got a bit of a daytime routine going then.Anything before 11 weeks was a lot of effort for very little gain, to be honest, in my house.I just found that come about 8 weeks, they just didn't settle well downstairs,and never slept for long-they were more alert and interested in what was going on (apparently I have very nosey children).So they did much better in their own beds then.All you want up to about 6 weeks is for them to know the difference between night and day.Plenty of time for daytime routines in a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Our first was not out of our sight for the first 6 months or so. Our second was sleeping in her crib upstairs from 6 weeks (with video monitor on). Its your first so the anxiety will naturally be at its highest for you. Do whatever works, at that age they will generally sleep when they want and routines dont really mean anything from one day to the next.

Advertisement