Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mesh Wifi Setup

Options
  • 27-12-2019 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭

I am looking for the best value mesh wifi setup for the house, currently have a Virgin Media Home Hub 3.0, but it struggles with signal in the far reaches of the house where the kids bedrooms are. I can put the Media Hub in bridge mode and run the mesh off that existing router. What is the best bang for buck Mesh setup out there, please.

I only need 2, I would estimate to cover the whole house with 5Ghz wifi and keep the kids happy. I am very technologically proficient, so ease of setup is not a big concern, I just want the cheapest option that will do the job.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

forget mesh and just hard wire another AP in your house with the same SSID and password and using Ethernet over Power devices which is a quick easy way to do this. Personally I like Devolo and this is a good option (see link) that will plug and play (remember to get the the twin pack!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C5IA4TW/ref=twister_B015FWCJAG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭OU812

I use google wifi (v1). No complaints here. Definitely an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

BailMeOut wrote: »
    forget mesh and just hard wire another AP in your house with the same SSID and password and using Ethernet over Power devices which is a quick easy way to do this. Personally I like Devolo and this is a good option (see link) that will plug and play (remember to get the the twin pack!)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C5IA4TW/ref=twister_B015FWCJAG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure how my house is wired but I have tried these in the past and they didn't work that effectively, but thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

OU812 wrote: »

+1

Was a huge improvement, never looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Inquitus wrote: »
    Not sure how my house is wired but I have tried these in the past and they didn't work that effectively, but thanks.

never had an issue in any house I have installed (5+).

For Mesh then Unifi is what I'd recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

+1

Was a huge improvement, never looked back.

Loving the simplicities if google Wifi here too

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've tried Google Wifi and Netgear Orbi. I've found the Orbi to be the better system with better coverage and no issues with IPTV etc that I had with the google system. As my house was wired with Coax I was also able to hardwire one of the satellites using MOCA adapters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

OU812 wrote: »

I got 4 of them for my house recently and found them great. No issues streaming data from a server on the other side of the house to my living room. Wifi cameras are stable for the first time in years too.

Advertisement