Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Essentials to have before babys arrival

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Antares35 wrote: »
    Oh yes her! :D Amazing how someone so small can create such chaos :o

That's a great idea about the freezer bags. Someone in work is kindly gifting me their steriliser, though I was tempted to pick up some of those self sterilising bottles you can put in the microwave, especially if we are going to travel (his family are living abroad).

I've no experience of the self sterilising bottles, I think they either came on the market after my first or else I didn't come across them. I had woeful pregnancies so shopping was a nightmare.

I still use the freezer bags for changes of clothes when we are out and about, very handy. I think they are 6L so hold a full outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

I still use the freezer bags for changes of clothes when we are out and about, very handy. I think they are 6L so hold a full outfit.

Great for storing any poonami wreaked closed when you are out as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

bee06 wrote: »
    Great for storing any poonami wreaked closed when you are out as well!

I did not think this through :pac::pac:

I saw "wet bags" in TKMaxx but remember thinking, sure you could just use a plastic one. Paying a tenner for a design. (They are cute though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

That's a great idea about the freezer bags. Someone in work is kindly gifting me their steriliser, though I was tempted to pick up some of those self sterilising bottles you can put in the microwave, especially if we are going to travel (his family are living abroad).

If you plan on beadtfeeding, hold off on buying bottles, or at least more than one of any type. It’s sometimes tricky to get a breastfed baby to take a bottle and sometimes you’ll need to shop around to find one they like

Maybe pack a facecloth for the birth.

I didn't on my first and didn't need or want one. However a day or so before the birth of my second, my sister mentioned how she loved having a cold facecloth on her face during the birth.

I thought no more about it, until during the birth when suddenly having a cold facecloth seemed like the best and most important idea ever... Except I didn't pack one.... Ended up with a maternity pad on my forehead... Ffs dignity well and truly at the door :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

Grandparents,,,essential to throw the new baby at now and again..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Haven’t used the self sterilizing bottles but the Milton travel sterilizer is dead handy for the odd bottle for a breast fed baby/traveling/pacifiers/teething toys/pump parts. They have it in alot of supermarkets and boots.

https://www.boots.ie/milton-microwave-and-cold-water-sterlising-travel-unit-10137441

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

If the baby is healthy and full term, you don’t need to sterilize bottles for breast milk or pump parts. A good wash in hot soapy water, rinse and dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I also use zip lock bags to store the nappies, sitting at the top of the changing bag just under the wipes! I hate when they are loose and always like having an emergency supply on hand so never leave with only 1 or 2 nappies.

I have a little roll of dog poo bags in the nappy bag as my supply of bags for dirty nappies/clothes. It's so handy and small so takes up so little room in an already packed bag!

I didn't on my first and didn't need or want one. However a day or so before the birth of my second, my sister mentioned how she loved having a cold facecloth on her face during the birth.

I thought no more about it, until during the birth when suddenly having a cold facecloth seemed like the best and most important idea ever... Except I didn't pack one.... Ended up with a maternity pad on my forehead... Ffs dignity well and truly at the door :)

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Grandparents,,,essential to throw the new baby at now and again..;)

Unfortunately we are not on speaking terms at present. It is a long story. I hope that we can find a reconciliation before the baby arrives. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I was reading through your post thinking “face cloth!, I’m sure I had a maternity pad slapped on my forehead. Then I got to the end, glad it wasn’t just me!

:D:D:D

I know!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DAT64

I’m a new mum and a few simple things come to mind. We didn’t have time to be running and racing to pick things up and these were things we needed soon after coming home.
    Thermometer
    Cotton wool pads for changing bum if not using wipes
    Bepanthan or similar to manage nappy rash - our little girl got one very soon after she was born.
    A basket to bring to bed every night - what I mean is - we have a two storey house so to save going up and down.... bring all the bits and bobs you’ll need to see you through the night and bring it back down following morning.... bottles, dummy, food for picking during night, water bottle, medicine if needed, phone charger etc -
    Clothes hangers - most clothes do come with hangers but some don’t and it’s easier to know what clothes baby has by hanging them up rather than folding - ikea do lovely wooden white baby ones
    I’m sure I’ll think of more as the days go on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Arnica tablets for after the birth - great for any swelling or bruising.

Advertisement