Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toy separation anxiety

• 27-12-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

My dog (Yorkie) is three years old and great craic. She very playful and intelligent, always playing and running around with my son (11) and has lots of toys to choose from. She plays fetch and 'tug of war' a lot with all of them. A really active and playful dog.

On Christmas Day, Santa came and brought four regular squeaky toys for her. Naturally she was delighted and spent most of the morning trying to get the squeak out of them (as per usual). However, after that she proceeded to spend the rest of the day walking around with one of the toys in her mouth - for hours. Would take a rest and lie down with the toy, hear a noise and be off with the toy again in her mouth. Even slept with it on her pillow. Yesterday was the same pattern with her walking around with the toy in her mouth and today again. She plays with it here and there but spend seemingly hours walking around with the toy in her month.

It's so weird. I've had loads of dogs and never came across this before. Is she worried that one of the toys will disappear or be taken from her? I don't know what to make of it. Is it some sort of toy separation anxiety kinda similar to what some kids have? Will her jaw not get locked or something if in the same position for hours?

Anybody have any experiences with this before?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is she neutered and if not is she trying to 'nurse' the toy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Is she neutered and if not is she trying to 'nurse' the toy?

Yep she is (before the first heat) and never had anything like this with any other toy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It's not a phantom pregnancy then so I wouldn't worry. As long as she's not resource guarding it there isn't really a problem. Maybe she just really likes her new toy :)

Advertisement