Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dogs have copped on to cctv camera alerts

• 27-12-2019 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I’ve two house dogs a Westie and Maltese cross, I have a camera outside the house that sends text alerts when it detects activity outside, every time my dogs hear the text alert on my phone they start barking and run to the door or sofa to look out the window, still amazed at how they figured it out. Probably when the postman arrives which the westie dislikes for some reason and he put two and two together, it’s the only reason I can think of.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Clever little feckers

They use association to understand what different noises mean.

If I or herself drive up my driveway, they run to the window wagging their tails. Someone else and they bark like hell - they know the sound of our cars and the manner we drive up to the house.

Here's a trick if you watch something regularly. Let's say the news at 9. Immediately after the signature tune, give them one treat.

Repeat for a couple of weeks.

Then one night, don't give them a treat.

Watch their reactions - you'll give in after a few minutes of eyeballs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Could you change your text tone to something none of them would recognize, like the theme for Fair City :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭stevek93

Stratvs wrote: »
    Could you change your text tone to something none of them would recognize, like the theme for Fair City :)

Imagine being a queue and fair city blasts from your pocket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was in a house one night and a neighbour was visiting with his Yorkshire Terrier.
    The dog was lying under the chair he was sitting on.
    He was chatting away and without changing the tone of his voice or moving he winked at us and said "I'll head off now".
    The dog jumped up and headed for the door.

Clever little feckers is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

elperello wrote: »
    I was in a house one night and a neighbour was visiting with his Yorkshire Terrier.
    The dog was lying under the chair he was sitting on.
    He was chatting away and without changing the tone of his voice or moving he winked at us and said "I'll head off now".
    The dog jumped up and headed for the door.

Clever little feckers is right.

Why do dogs think that everytime the door bell rings, they think it’s a caller for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why do dogs think that everytime the door bell rings, they think it’s a caller for them?

They don't, they are just nosy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

elperello wrote: »
    They don't, they are just nosy.

I’ve had a few nosy feckers in my day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Its like a Pavlovian response.:)

Advertisement