Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phenergan

Options
  • 27-12-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

Has anyone ever given their children phenergan for motion sickness? Or as an antihistamine?

Not looking for medical advice!!
    It has been recommend for my kids for a long haul flight. but I’ve never used it before so I’d be hesitant. My youngest is 2.

Anyone ever used it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

It works for motion sickness by making the child drowsy.
    The child does need to be a minimum of 2 years old.
    One of my kids gets very travel sick and we have used it, and it does help.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rather than drugging the kid (maybe not let sleep before the flight) try ginger
    Good chance the kid won't even be affected

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Who recommended it? A healthcare professional or someone you know? It's a pretty old school medication. I'd ask your gp or pharmacist if you haven't already.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

We used it very recently, it was prescribed by our doctor as our 5 year old had terribly bad chicken pox.She told us to give it to her for a night or two to enable her to sleep, she was in a very bad way. Took the itch out of the spots for her too at night.The doctor described it as a 'good old school antihistamine',for the situation in question.
    It seemed fine but honestly I would shy away from it for anything less serious.
    I don't think it puts them to sleep necessarily, but it would make them drowsy.I am not sure who is advising you on that, or what the reason is, but if it isn't a medical professional, then I wouldn't be doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Hi thanks all. It was a nurse who recommended it.
    And then when I asked the pharmacist they also said it would be fine for traveling as it’s good
    For motion sickness.

The only thing I’ve ever given my kids is calpol for a temp so I’d just be very hesitant... maybe I’m being OTT.

• Advertisement

I'm a pharmacist. Phenerfan is fine for a 2 year old. 5mg night before and 5mg in the morning (if felt necessary). With regards to somebody accusing drugging the child. Would you rather let the child suffer traveling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Phenergan works two fold. It's an antihistamine and it helps with travel sickness.
    I had an extremely travel sick child. Most car trips over 15/20 mins the child would vomit. It's extremely traumatic for the child. And it's also very dangerous; strapped into a 5 point harness car seat, unable to move properly, and vomiting. You risk the child choking on their vomit and you can't always pull off the road especially if you are on a motorway. There's the more trivial aspects like having to bring 3 or 4 changes of clothes for the child everywhere you go, towels, wipes, the car seat covers get ruined and have to be washed very often, the car stinks of vomit for days.
    We tried many things, including natural remedies and nothing worked great. Phenergan worked quite well, it was the best of the bunch. As the pharmacist above said, for travel sickness you give a dose the night before and then another dose the morning of the journey.
    Talking about drugging the child is ridiculous. The trauma my child from these ordeals was awful. We had to limit travelling anywhere, but of course some trips were necessary. It affected all of our lives greatly. My child still gets travel sick but has grown out of the worst of it.

Phenergan works two fold. It's an antihistamine and it helps with travel sickness.
    I had an extremely travel sick child. Most car trips over 15/20 mins the child would vomit. It's extremely traumatic for the child. And it's also very dangerous; strapped into a 5 point harness car seat, unable to move properly, and vomiting. You risk the child choking on their vomit and you can't always pull off the road especially if you are on a motorway. There's the more trivial aspects like having to bring 3 or 4 changes of clothes for the child everywhere you go, towels, wipes, the car seat covers get ruined and have to be washed very often, the car stinks of vomit for days.
    We tried many things, including natural remedies and nothing worked great. Phenergan worked quite well, it was the best of the bunch. As the pharmacist above said, for travel sickness you give a dose the night before and then another dose the morning of the journey.
    Talking about drugging the child is ridiculous. The trauma my child from these ordeals was awful. We had to limit travelling anywhere, but of course some trips were necessary. It affected all of our lives greatly. My child still gets travel sick but has grown out of the worst of it.

Thank you. It’s goid to hear your child has grown out of most of it! It must have been very difficult and traumatic! I’m lucky my child isn’t as bad... I think I’m just being more cautious x

I'm a pharmacist. Phenerfan is fine for a 2 year old. 5mg night before and 5mg in the morning (if felt necessary). With regards to somebody accusing drugging the child. Would you rather let the child suffer traveling?

Thank you this is great. My kids don’t get sick in the car. But they’ve never been on such a long flight before so it’s precautionary aswell. Although I’d obviously love them to be a bit more drowsy than normal... 🀣... I don’t want them to become disorientated or agitated etc... but the nurse and pharmacist said they would be fine. Thank you for your experience and advice.

Advertisement