Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my VPN provider see my original IP address?

Options
  • 28-12-2019 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Elite Woad Raider

I know VPNs are used to mask IP addresses online. However I am concerned my VPN provider might be able to identify my IP address from my login details. I have recently started using Tor because I no longer trust my VPN provider.

Should I be concerned?

Comments

All VPNs can see your original IP address.

A VPN won't help if the Gardaí come knocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people have been tracked through tor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you think your VPN was adding any security. It wasnt.

If you think TOR is adding any security, it probably isnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Online privacy is a myth!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I know VPNs are used to mask IP addresses online. However I am concerned my VPN provider might be able to identify my IP address from my login details. I have recently started using Tor because I no longer trust my VPN provider.

Should I be concerned?

If you're doing something that you shouldn't be then yes you should be concerned.

To be honest, reading your post, I'm concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corminators

Better question: can your VPN provider identify you based on your payment details?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Pooinloo

Should I be concerned?

Yes of course they can. If you're just downloading movies, you'll be fine. If you're very concerned about online anonymity, you can set up your own VPN server, using one of the cloud providers. That way, you can route your traffic through a particular region, regardless of where your requests are being made from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Unless you are doing something incredibly dodgy, TOR is anonymous, it takes complex activity and control of multiple entrance and exit points to track people down on TOR, which is why all the Marketplaces rarely get taken down.

A VPN is also safe, unless you are doing something incredibly dodgy which would warrant law enforcement to issue a warrant to your provider, to reveal your details.

Sure in Ireland they don't even bother tracking people for using public torrents to dl movies etc.

Advertisement