Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst/Best Radio Ads rerun edition!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Is this also voiced by Ben Dunne or is it a different ad from the one in previous years where he repeats 'Ben Dunne Gyms' over and over again.

Gen Bunne Dym, Den Gunne Bym..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Renault ad with that lispy female voiceover. God knows how she got a job as one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Don't think I need add more...

🙄🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Fantasy lighting emporium on Newstalk.

"lyrics" written by a 3 year old and irritating jingle to accompany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

The one from Lidl with the woman screeching about their success at the Irish Food awards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

National Lottery ad where yer man says "sweet!" at the end. I utterly hate that expression and the type of insufferable cnunts who use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

If one of my acquaintances rang me with that tone thanking me for not coming to a party, it'd be the last time they'd be ringin me thats for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Latest version of that ad is thanking a workmate for not coming into work. They had a grand time without him going out for lunch together to celebrate something for someone. Not sure that going out for office lunches is the recommended message.

Is that the beardy lad who was turning up in loads of tv ads a few years ago at the same time? One with him dancing at an airport. Got a few mentions in the adverts you despise thread.

Yeah that's the one! You can't avoid him on the radio these days, he does the lotto adverts, Dacia, Dealz and more I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Overseas charity ads where the audio sounds like they're on a satellite phone. Probably recorded in a comfy studio and made to sound like their CEO is on the ground handing out bags of rice and water.

Charity ads begging for donations for vaccines; because big pharma boys are too tight to make their formulas generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

It's blatantly obvious that they go with the worst sound quality to make it sound like they are ringing from a phone box in the 3rd world. You can be sure Dr Georgina Jordan or whatever yer ones name is in the goal ads is not getting her hands dirty in the 3rd world

Close to going full Bill Murray in groundhog day to the radio if I hear another cash machine call ad. It's like something from a dodgy local radio station. Pat Kenny must grit his teeth when he has to push it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I know its for charity but the Trocaire dosh ourg with the fake strained concerned voice wrecks my head.

Is the eurocycles eurobaby ad the most annoying ad ever to grace Irish radio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

More man bashing in advertising well and truly alive, on the Citroen C5 ad, with the Husband forgetting everything for his Wife's birthday.

"She married a Cliche..."

"move over adults, we can save the world", the closing line in the advert for the upcoming BT Young Scientist exhibition.

From what I see most young today couldn't fix a lunch let alone the world...

Doddle.ie with some twat singing "its a doddle". Irtitating beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

I’m sick of Facebook crowing about the great work they do for small businesses in Europe.

There’s more than a touch of desperation about fb advertising on old fashioned media.

Appalling mock trad music ads and terrible name for a company.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭electricus

No but “old fashioned media” should be in irony quotes.

Wasn't aware of that...zucks must be in trouble if he has to resort to the worst advertising medium

I'd say he's ok for a few quid, FB is getting on... older age profile anyhow. Still money to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Duuuubliiiin, outside Duuubliiiin

Longford, Waterford, all the fords!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Annesley Williams with the creepy guy making laboured James Bond references...just stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

AIB have been backing "Brave" for a few years now but the other day Allianz (or is it AIG?) have now decided to cover "Courage". What a load of "you know what". Sure, if I decided to try and cross a tightrope between the poolbeg chimneys it would certainly be courageous (and stupid considering my vertigo and bad sense of balance) but i'll bet trying to get Allianz to cover me for life and health insurance for said event would be decidedly difficult.

• Advertisement

Ad agency must have been inspired by the motivational posters they got in their office.

Jaysus!! Niamh from Fair City on the latest "Government of Ireland" ad telling us all we are such good boys and girls to be free from restrictions BUT to be careful and get tests, vaccines and boosters..... feckin Nanny state.... like we can't live or celebrate life now without being told how to do it!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

The Lloyds Pharmacy ads, aaaargh.

Also an ad for a beauty salon (I think) says it has a 'covid friendly' environment 😆

The Peugeot ad that starts with "At Purrr-joe..." and then pronounces it the usual way in the rest of the ad.

Another Lidl ad at pains to point out they are Irish while not being Irish, with the woman who says "Oirish" as a way to drive the point home

The same annoying O'Meara camping ads coming out for another run for the 4th or 5th year in a row. Starting to become a bit like the fantasy lights Christmas ad

• Advertisement

Yer man's ma is on the floor again and he still doesn't know where she lives (near Kilmac) I guess he hasn't been around to visit much with Covid. With most of the Covid public info adverts being pulled I guess people can get back to regular stuff now, like.....falling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

That ad is often cycle repeated, sometimes just before there is a survey done to see how widespread the use of the Eircode system is. There was a bit of an issue over it being declared 'a public service announcement', (panic people into using it) but it was decided that although the term should only be designated for for official government use, this particular use had been approved by the relevant department that commissioned the service and therefore it was outside the scope of the regulator.

Greyhound Racing Ireland on a charm offensive hoping we'll forget about the bad press.

Looking after athletes...since when is a dog an 'athlete'?

And it's on 24/7. How can they afford that? I thought they were (rightfully) on their knees financially?

The the parents talking about "ah our Sinead" in the allianz car insurance ad. The father's high pitched nordy accent is extremely annoying - "spillun her cereal"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭Radio5

Halo Care. Putting Mammy under 24 hour surveillance so smug daughter doesn't have to do her share of the caring. Poor Mammy can't even have an affair in peace or go the Solicitor to change her Will without the App telling her nearest and dearest...

Tbf these two blethering on about their fictional daughter is less annoying than "it's a chup!"

A new trend in ads, a bland company name (Accenture) and an inspirational poster word salad without revealing what the company actually does.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I know I have mentioned it before but that ad about the 'silent conversations with drivers' - I now switch off the radio as soon as it starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭von Smallhausen

That ad irks me for some reason.

Ironically the other day that was on the radio and I turned a corner to see an auld wan in the middle of the road trying to cross.....nowhere near the zebra crossing which was only a few yards away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭I see sheep

Jamie Heaslip flogging lease cars 🤮 Sorry Jamie but you have the charisma of a sick bag.

For me, I think it's partly that she sounds really patronising.

And having seen the tv ad, I keep thinking why the **** would you stand in the middle of the road, to prove a point anyway.

FBD and their 'hilarious' talking inanimate objects.

Judging from a current thread, some posters would rather prove a point than look out for their own safety.

I hear they're now using the mental health angle "you're going to be great today 👍👍👍" to try flog booster jabs to the late teens to twenties age bracket. Using Blind Boy Boat Club and some other young wan to try make it sound more trendy and 'on their level' I guess. I wonder did anyone actually do a bit of research as to how many youngins listen to RTE radio?

• Advertisement
Advertisement