Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ear buds to replace scala rider

Options
  • 28-12-2019 8:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭

My scala rider is getting old and tired, sort of have to wiggle it a bit to get it working (ooh missus!) Instead of getting a new one, was thinking of buds, the galaxy buds look small enough and there’s a bit of a cutout in my lid that might accommodate them. Not bad reviews and about the same price as the scala(130). Anybody use buds? Recommend any? What to look for?
    Galaxy buds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I use a wired set of Shure se215 into my Sena's.

The sound is great and I can hit the Sena to activate Google assistant for playing certain things like radio or Spotify.

No idea about stand alone buds don't have any to try but id miss the Google assistant. And the microphone for taking calls. Buds won't work inside a helmet for voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

These have mics in them, so cant see why they wouldn't work inside a lid. Was more worried that they would be uncomfortable

• Registered Users Posts: 33,980 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These have mics in them, so cant see why they wouldn't work inside a lid. Was more worried that they would be uncomfortable

Having used multiple head sets in my lid there is no chance of a mic working from your ear location inside a helmet at anything other than stationary with no engine on

There's a reason they put mics out front. If your thinking of getting it to use the mic then I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

My scala rider is getting old and tired, sort of have to wiggle it a bit to get it working (ooh missus!) Instead of getting a new one, was thinking of buds, the galaxy buds look small enough and there’s a bit of a cutout in my lid that might accommodate them. Not bad reviews and about the same price as the scala(130). Anybody use buds? Recommend any? What to look for?
    Galaxy buds

I have 2x Scalas, which are coming to EOL - batteries.
    Buds don't work other than for listening only: but I hate them so I'm looking at going back to an Autocom.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

If you're just looking for phone connectivity (without rider to rider functionality), I've been using the Chinese-manufactured MH-05, which you can typically get for around €10 - cheap enough that I picked up a spare. It doesn't do fancy stuff like raise the volume based on ambient noise (and max volume is a little low at motorway speeds), but for city commuting and navigation prompts, it's really hard to fault at that price. Rechargeable battery lasts me about a week, with an hour a day of commuting. Used to use the MH-04, but after 2 years the separate charging lead cable started to get flaky - whereas the Mh-05 charging point is in the main microphone module.

Controls are inside the helmet (which helps make the unit its claimed IP65 waterproof rating), so they're not really usable on the bike, but you can set it to auto-answer, if you're the type who still gets phone calls!
    JaJaBor-5th-Generation-Motorcycle-Helmet-Headset-Wireless-Bluetooth-5-0-MH05-Scooter-Speaker-Headphone-Handsfree-Call.jpg_q50.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Incidentally, I have an NFC tag on my helmet, so when heading out on the bike, I just touch the phone off the NFC tag, and it enables Bluetooth, makes the connection to the Bluetooth headset, sets the volumes at appropriate levels for media and calls, and launches my preferred radio app or navigation. Saves a lot of fiddling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Got the galaxy buds anyway but defo not conducive to wearing in a lid. Although they don’t stick out too much, it’s a pain in the hoop squeezing the lid over them. Also, I’d be a bit para of one dropping out of the lid, you’d never get it back( even though there’s a find my buds function with them) So, happy with the buds as buds but not for lid use. In fairness, nobody ever rings me anyway so I think I’ll go for Krustys set up, just a spot of lid music is all I need. Although, might go the scala route again...

Advertisement