If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replace my trusted & loved 21:9 Cinema Philips 56pfl9954h

Options
  • 28-12-2019 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi John & Team,
    I've been using this unusual TV 56PFL for many years (bought from yourselves) and have loved every moment with it.
    The time has come to move on to something more modern with an equally immersive experience.

I'm not tied to Philips, but I do enjoy the ambilight effect on the wall behind. The 56 inch diagonal in the 21:9 format 
    has been a comfortable size in the living room when viewing even with the expanded mode on, I wouldn't want anything smaller but I appreciate the aspect ratio is different (taller) on most other TV's.

What would you recommend in the €2k-€3k range to replace what I have?.

Thanks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi John & Team,
    I've been using this unusual TV 56PFL for many years (bought from yourselves) and have loved every moment with it.
    The time has come to move on to something more modern with an equally immersive experience.

I'm not tied to Philips, but I do enjoy the ambilight effect on the wall behind. The 56 inch diagonal in the 21:9 format 
    has been a comfortable size in the living room when viewing even with the expanded mode on, I wouldn't want anything smaller but I appreciate the aspect ratio is different (taller) on most other TV's.

What would you recommend in the €2k-€3k range to replace what I have?.

Thanks

Hey Eoin Kavanagh 64.

Thanks for coming back to us again.

To get the Ambi Light you would need to satay with Philips.
    There are also currently no 21:9 screens that we can get out hands on.

You should check out the Philips 65OLED934 priced at 2999 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204361-philips-65oled934-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

Or the Philips 65OLED804 priced at 2299 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204301-philips-65oled804-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-premium-smart-tv-freeview-hd.aspx

OLED would be the technology to go for in My opinion and have fantastic image reproduction.

Moving away from Philips LG have their 65C9PLA priced at 2079 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204050-lg-oled65c9pla-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-tv-freeview-play.aspx

Sony have their 65AG8 priced at 2269 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-204102-sony-bravia-kd65ag8-65-inch-oled-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-smart-android-tv-youview.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Eoin Kavanagh 64

Hi Kenny, 

I've been mulling this over in my mind for the past few days since delivery wouldn't be until after the new year.
    From what I've researched on-line with regard to specs of the the Philips OLEDs,
    all the current Philips 65inch (65OLED804, 65OLED934, 65OLED984) use the same Display Panel, same processor generation, same Android Software Version.   

Obviously 984 has better sound bar, 4 sided Ambilight & pedestal stand, 934 lesser quality sound bar 3 sided Ambilight and different stand, while the 804 is basically the same as 934 except no sound bar and different stand. They all support Dolby Vision & HDR10+

Do you see or have you seen any other picture quality difference between the 3 models I'm looking at?.

I'm thinking the 804 might be the better purchase given I'll eventually upgrade my AV Amp and the sound bar becomes defunct.
    The saving would go nicely towards a UHD Blu-Ray player like the Panasonic DPUB 9000 or Panasonic DPUB 820.

What do you advise with regard to my thoughts and Blu-Ray player choices?.

Thanks for your help.

Hi Kenny, 

I've been mulling this over in my mind for the past few days since delivery wouldn't be until after the new year.
    From what I've researched on-line with regard to specs of the the Philips OLEDs,
    all the current Philips 65inch (65OLED804, 65OLED934, 65OLED984) use the same Display Panel, same processor generation, same Android Software Version.   

Obviously 984 has better sound bar, 4 sided Ambilight & pedestal stand, 934 lesser quality sound bar 3 sided Ambilight and different stand, while the 804 is basically the same as 934 except no sound bar and different stand. They all support Dolby Vision & HDR10+

Do you see or have you seen any other picture quality difference between the 3 models I'm looking at?.

I'm thinking the 804 might be the better purchase given I'll eventually upgrade my AV Amp and the sound bar becomes defunct.
    The saving would go nicely towards a UHD Blu-Ray player like the Panasonic DPUB 9000 or Panasonic DPUB 820.

What do you advise with regard to my thoughts and Blu-Ray player choices?.

Thanks for your help.
    Hi Eoin Kavanagh 64.

You are correct in your evaluation of the 3 sets.
    They are all 100HZ panels and all full 10Bit also.
    The 984 has slightly faster motion processing but it is minimal.

I have seen the 804 running in a customers house and it was fantastic.
    However stock is very very tight on all these models and we are awaiting on more arriving hopefully over the next few weeks.

If you plan on using a home cinema setup with the TV then the soundbar of the other two would be an extra cost that really wouldn't be justified. 

I could offer one of the 65OLED804 for £1800 delivered and also including our VIP 6 year guarantee free of charge.

The Panasonic DPUB9000 is a very good 4K player. Currently priced at £799. I could drop this to £755 along with a TV.
    The 820 is also a decent middle of the road player, although at its price I would check out the Sony UPBX800M2 at the same price of £299 (5 star reviewed)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-204258-sony-ubpx800m2-uhd-blu-ray-player.aspx

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi again Kenny,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll go with the 65OLED804 & Panasonic DPUB9000 as a package.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact details and you might give me the Stg vs Euro pricing when we talk.

Once again, thank you for the (as always) wonderful Customer service Richersounds have given me.

No rush on placing this order today if you're finishing early for New Year's Eve.

Hi again Kenny,

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll go with the 65OLED804 & Panasonic DPUB9000 as a package.

I'll drop you a PM with my contact details and you might give me the Stg vs Euro pricing when we talk.

Once again, thank you for the (as always) wonderful Customer service Richersounds have given me.

No rush on placing this order today if you're finishing early for New Year's Eve.
    Cheers Eoin.

Will drop you a call in a few minutes :D

• Advertisement

Arrived today, installed this afternoon .... mind blowingly good picture from the Philips & superb native 4k & 4k upscaling from the Panasonic 9000.

Many thanks to John, Kenny & RS team, wonderful advice & service as always.

:D:D:D  ;)

Arrived today, installed this afternoon .... mind blowingly good picture from the Philips & superb native 4k & 4k upscaling from the Panasonic 9000.

Many thanks to John, Kenny & RS team, wonderful advice & service as always.

:D:D:D  ;)
    Excellent News Eion :D

They really are a fantastic television.
    Now for many days and nights of enjoyment watching movies on it.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.