Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

metal board

Options
  • 28-12-2019 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi throwaway acc here,

Im getting a cu upgrade next month and am currently renting while upgrades regarding heating, insulation and electricity are completed. now the rec has said he will be fitting a plastic cu since the new rules have not yet been implemented, he will be replacing a main and a sub board in the house with a larger 3 row i think. my questions are will i be missing out on anything by getting a plastic one and could i get a temp board install and get a metal one if the rules are going to be changed soon?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Why bother with a “throwaway” account ???

Anyway:
    The REC is correct, the new rules are not in effect yet. Also new rules can not be applied retrospectively.

I was assured that the new rules would be out this quarter but obviously that is not the case. It would seem that there is a bit of a debate going on that is delaying the issuing of IS10101.

I am upgrading my distribution board soon and I will install one with a metal enclosure whether the new rules are in place or not. I would recommend the same to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 advise_needed

2011 wrote: »
    Why bother with a “throwaway” account ???

Anyway:
    The REC is correct, the new rules are not in effect yet. Also new rules can not be applied retrospectively.

I was assured that the new rules would be out this quarter but obviously that is not the case. It would seem that there is a bit of a debate going on that is delaying the issuing of IS10101.

I am upgrading my distribution board soon and I will install one with a metal enclosure whether the new rules are in place or not. I would recommend the same to anyone else.
    throwaway for 2 reasons, i didnt have an account and i was told this was a more controversial issue than smart meters and i didnt want my email spammed to death by people telling me to stop second guessing a rec. so if the install is plastic and i need anything new post rule change will it go with the plactic cu or will i have to get a metal sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

As a response to the Public Consultation process, the proposed requirement for distribution boards in domestic premises to be “non-combustible” has been changed. Industry representatives questioned how the “non-combustible” could be verified, where nearly every material used could eventually burn at some (albeit very high) temperature. Research also showed that the enclosure itself may not be the primary source of worry, with busbars and connections themselves presenting a fire risk. Switchgear components also present risk, where not installed according to manufacturers instructions. Therefore the new rules will continue the requirement for all distribution boards to comply the existing standard EN:61439, which already deals with the fire risk issues.

http://electric.ie/update-on-irelands-new-national-rules-for-electrical-installations-is10101/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

^^Good link!

I would guess that the rationale of this was to align domestic distribution boards a bit more with what those of us that work in industrial installations would normally deal with.

In the event that a distribution board were to go on fire I would expect a metal enclosure would mitigate the risk of the fire spreading. In a case such as the OP's I would consider it prudent to opt for a metal enclosure if replacing the board anyway. I would expect the cost impact to be minimal as most of the cost would be labour.

i was told this was a more controversial issue than smart meters

Really??
    I didn't think smart meters were controversial.
    and i didnt want my email spammed to death by people telling me to stop second guessing a rec.

They are not infallible, believe me they make mistakes just like the rest of us... :)
    If you look back through this forum you will see plenty of examples.
    so if the install is plastic and i need anything new post rule change will it go with the plactic cu or will i have to get a metal sub?

As above rules can not be applied retrospectively, so a plastic enclosure is permitted. However in my opinion a metal enclosure would be superior.
    I did think that this was OTT but I have since changed my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

Depends on the cost I suppose, anyone know how much more expensive a similar metal one would cost?

Really??

oh ya, i live in an estate current getting them retrofitted in certain houses and there was considerable opposition from those opposed to 5g even though they dont use it and there was an "info" campaign telling us they would not read properly and they go on fire, they give you cancer and cause cows to sling. needless to say im happy to get away from that for a while. thanks for the advice ill be back home by feb, worst case March so looks like ill be sticking with the plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,100 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

oh ya, i live in an estate current getting them retrofitted in certain houses and there was considerable opposition from those opposed to 5g even though they dont use it and there was an "info" campaign telling us they would not read properly and they go on fire, they give you cancer and cause cows to sling. needless to say im happy to get away from that for a while. thanks for the advice ill be back home by feb, worst case March so looks like ill be sticking with the plastic

Water meter protesters were claiming radiation risks too. Each & everyone of them carried a radiation emitting device with them as they recorded the Gardai & shouted peaceful protest yet they were worried about the radiation from a meter buried in concrete outside their home

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Water meter protesters were claiming radiation risks too. Each & everyone of them carried a radiation emitting device with them as they recorded the Gardai & shouted peaceful protest yet they were worried about the radiation from a meter buried in concrete outside their home

i dont really care if the thing makes me glow in the dark, i just want rid of the meter reader during the recession id say i only had the meter read probally twice in 5 or 6 years, since 2017 id see him anything from every 50 to 70 days and since im on direct debit its a real pain getting multiple bills and amended bills

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

i dont really care if the thing makes me glow in the dark, i just want rid of the meter reader during the recession id say i only had the meter read probally twice in 5 or 6 years, since 2017 id see him anything from every 50 to 70 days and since im on direct debit its a real pain getting multiple bills and amended bills

Would it not be easier to just read the meter yourself if it hasn't been read for a while and send it to them?

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connection/meters-readings/submit-a-meter-reading

• Advertisement

Would it not be easier to just read the meter yourself if it hasn't been read for a while and send it to them?
    i do read it, ive asked him why he reads mine even though i submit my readings online and the response ive got is he has been contracted to read the entire eatate

Really??

They are not infallible, believe me they make mistakes just like the rest of us... :)
    If you look back through this forum you will see plenty of examples.

As above rules can not be applied retrospectively, so a plastic enclosure is permitted. However in my opinion a metal enclosure would be superior.
    I did think that this was OTT but I have since changed my mind.

one more question whats the min / max height a cu is allowed to be placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

one more question whats the min / max height a cu is allowed to be placed?

Max 2.25m to top
    Min 1.4m to bottom(any less should be accessible by authorized persons only)

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

meercat wrote: »
    Max 2.25m to top
    Min 1.4m to bottom(any less should be accessible by authorized persons only)

What if the board is longer than 900mm?

What if the board is longer than 900mm?

Use the maximum top measurement and then accessible by authorized personnel only as stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Doolittle51

meercat wrote: »
    Use the maximum top measurement and then accessible by authorized personnel only as stated.

So if it's located in a normally locked garage, is it deemed inaccessible? i.e. kids can't get in there easily.

So if it's located in a normally locked garage, is it deemed inaccessible? i.e. kids can't get in there easily.

Not in my opinion.
    A lock on the db door would suffice

Advertisement