Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV at work.

Options
  • 28-12-2019 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

It has come to the attention of the staff in our place of employment that our line manager has the CCTV connected to an app on their phone and is viewing all staff from home at night and on their days off.

Is this allowed?

Are they breaking the GDPR of the staff the view them in this way?

I also find it very creepy that they are doing this as there has been now major issues at work on an app on their phone.

The staff all agree this seems to much and as a group are considering going above the line managers head to put in a formal complaint.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

It has come to the attention of the staff in our place of employment that our line manager has the CCTV connected to an app on their phone and is viewing all staff from home at night and on their days off.

Is this allowed?

I also find it very creepy that they are doing this as there has been now major issues at work on an app on their phone.

The staff all agree this seems to much and as a group are considering going above the line managers head to put in a formal complaint.
    Did you get anywhere with the complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Is this allowed?

This happened in a place I worked in before. They installed a camera to monitor the front door but hid it. Only came to attention when someone spotted a light blinking in between 2 binders one morning and found it!!! Turned out the CEO had it linked to an app and was monitoring people entering/exiting ... although the official line was that it was there for security as there has been break ins in the industrial estate around that time.

Camera was removed immediately when HR were questioned on it and everyone was asked to sign a new contract agreeing to having camera in the workplace.
    Lot of people refused to sign so it was all kinda forgotten about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What kind of work is it?

Does it make sense there's a CCTV camera inside the building?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

I am guessing the CCTV is there for the right reasons to protect the staff and customers and the usual signs are up to say there is recording taking place for those reasons.

Is your line manager checking to see if you all working and doing your jobs is that what you are thinking?

If so I don't think (others may no better) they can use that against you if they find you aren't doing your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

We are recorded at our work everywhere but the bathrooms.
    It is checked when there's an incident or a report of someone not doing their work etc.

I'm so used to it Im only aware of cctv if someone comments on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We are recorded at our work everywhere but the bathrooms.
    It is checked when there's an incident or a report of someone not doing their work etc.

I'm so used to it Im only aware of cctv if someone comments on it.

Would it not be easier to check their work output to see if they are productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

Is this allowed?

I'm not a lawyer, but there seems to be certain things that your employer has to do before they can start recording you on CCTV.

Have you been informed that the CCTV is there to monitor the behaviour or performance of staff? If not that's an issue.

Is the phone your line manager is using to view cctv a work phone or a personal phone?

Have you been given information about how the cctv recordings are stored/how long they are stored/where they are stored (is a third party storing the footage, is it being held in the cloud)?

IS the footage held securely, is the access to it restricted?

Might be worth reading:

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html#lc3bfa

I'd be very worried about a line manager being able to view cctv on a mobile phone from home.

You could also think about making a complaint to the Data Commissioner.

You and your colleagues could also make data subject access requests asking for copies of the footage that is being taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,974 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'd be very worried about a line manager being able to view cctv on a mobile phone from home. .

In practice, you should assume that every pub manager / owner can view their CCTV feed live on their phone.

They will likely be watching for troublesome customers as much as for staff behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

CCTV, for security, of the staff, customers and anyone else on site.

It simply shouldn’t be used to monitor staff behavior, performance, time keeping etc... there are numerous ways and means of doing this, legally and legitimately...all be it a bit more effort is required on behalf of managers...

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Hammer of the Clods

In practice, you should assume that every pub manager / owner can view their CCTV feed live on their phone.

They will likely be watching for troublesome customers as much as for staff behaviour.

Yeah, I'd understand it in a pub. In an office environment not so much (I'm in an office environment, not saying the op is).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Strumms wrote: »
    CCTV, for security, of the staff, customers and anyone else on site.

It simply shouldn’t be used to monitor staff behavior, performance, time keeping etc... there are numerous ways and means of doing this, legally and legitimately...all be it a bit more effort is required on behalf of managers...

But where is the legislation that says this?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Is this allowed?

This seems like excessive processing of personal data. It does depend on the type of employment eg is handling of cash involved. Even if it is, the employer is obliged to be transparent in relation to employees and any external customers by having a privacy statement or notice setting out the purpose of any CCTV monitoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Lashes28 wrote: »
    But where is the legislation that says this?

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/surveillance_of_electronic_communications_in_the_workplace.html#lc3bfa

“Your employer must have a valid reason to use CCTV to monitor your workplace. They must also consider if using CCTV is reasonable. For example, using CCTV to detect intruders, vandals or thieves may be reasonable. However, using CCTV to constantly monitor employees would be intrusive and would only be justified in special circumstances.”

Advertisement