Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Did you ever get around to shorting it?

Or maybe the VIX would be worth a look?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

I didn't, everything tied up in Bitcoin now (luckily rewarded better).

No doubt the fed will intervene, despite it being a normal enough drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    any thoughts on Apple as a short option right now?

Its been overbought for months and there was news yesterday about production halts due to the coronavirus

Apple trying to generate some news in the mainstream about their new product launch to keep the stock from falling possibly?

just got out of this short, cant stand watching the screen any longer, small profits taken

about an 8% ish profit in less than a week, buys me a few plasters to cover the wounds suffered elsewhere

Who's buying and who's selling?

Crude below 50$ a barrel.

• Advertisement

Who's buying and who's selling?

Holding for now. Common sense has to prevail...eventually...I hope...

Holding for now. Common sense has to prevail...eventually...I hope...

I'd do the same. Sold for a loss in Oct 18 and missed out on 25% pump.

I'd do the same. Sold for a loss in Oct 18 and missed out on 25% pump.

Sooner or later there will have to be acceptance of this new norm. The horse has bolted. No point but n destroying the world economy trying to fix the unfixable.

Economy going to take a serious battering over the next few weeks and months putting billions into fighting this cv

Think I’m going to get out until we have the first case in America. Hopefully that will be the capitulation here. Will look to get long then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Think I need to delete my Degiro app for the minute to stop annoying myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,933 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow, -3.15% on the DOW.

Thargor wrote: »
    Wow, -3.15% on the DOW.

Is that capitulation?

Ouch..!!

I just liquidated my entire portfolio.

Probably a pretty rash decision but I’ve seen my gains cut from a healthy >35% down to a shade under 20% following the hammerings the past few days...nothing disastrous about it at all but happy to quit while I’m ahead - I’ll be keeping a close eye and will reenter as soon as signs are more favourable

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

What are people looking at with prices falling?

Looking at AMD, HSBC, ISHSRES clean ETF, maybe Ryanair.

I'm only started this month investing, starting small and looking long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

weemcd wrote: »
    What are people looking at with prices falling?

Looking at AMD, HSBC, ISHSRES clean ETF, maybe Ryanair.

I'm only started this month investing, starting small and looking long term.

I'd wait - widespread cancellations and a mostly likely imminent announcement of cases in the US mean there could be another 5-10% drop at any moment.

I wouldn't be buying anything for 3 months or more, unless thinking exceptionally long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I just liquidated my entire portfolio.

Probably a pretty rash decision but I’ve seen my gains cut from a healthy >35% down to a shade under 20% following the hammerings the past few days...nothing disastrous about it at all but happy to quit while I’m ahead - I’ll be keeping a close eye and will reenter as soon as signs are more favourable

Looks to be going in the right direction today. I'm planning to hold now after taking significant losses over the last two days.

This graph is looking much better than it did two weeks ago.
    The Euro situation is getting attention here for obvious reasons here but things really improving in China.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Wombatman wrote: »
    Looks to be going in the right direction today. I'm planning to hold now after taking significant losses over the last two days.

This graph is looking much better than it did two weeks ago.
    The Euro situation is getting attention here for obvious reasons here but things really improving in China.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I still think we could see one more sell off when we get confirmed cases stateside. My plan is to jump in then. Of course, that mightn’t happens and I miss it. But so be it if so. There’s always another trade.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I'd wait - widespread cancellations and a mostly likely imminent announcement of cases in the US mean there could be another 5-10% drop at any moment.

Solid advice. I'll keep that in mind. Paid tomorrow so I'll drop some cash into Degiro and keep my eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Ryanair will likely fall a good bit more as more areas get hit around Europe

Trump to speak in relation to covid19 after the markets close. Am I reading too much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

20% knocked off portfolio but it's only back to Jan levels. HODL strong!

I'm looking at: TSN, DIS, PH, GSK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Taylor365 wrote: »
    20% knocked off portfolio but it's only back to Jan levels. HODL strong!

I'm looking at: TSN, DIS, PH, GSK

I'd wait another while to buy Disney, few companies are as exposed to this virus

Beit cinemas or theme parks, all will likely see major reductions in crowds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Spare a thought for the poor souls (like me) who just started investing at the start of January. I invested mostly in large slow growing companies that would be "unlikely", only under exceptional circumstances to drop any more than 2-3% and would make headlines if they did.

Corona Virus: "Hold my beer"

Was at +8% after the first 3 weeks. Dropped to +4% this time last week and then down to -3% yesterday. Got out completely today at -2.4% after a slight recovery. I was going to weather the storm but the swiftness of the drop spooked me out as well as thinking of the fallout when it hits the US.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the poor souls (like me) who just started investing at the start of January. I invested mostly in large slow growing companies that would be "unlikely", only under exceptional circumstances to drop any more than 2-3% and would make headlines if they did.

Corona Virus: "Hold my beer"

Was at +8% after the first 3 weeks. Dropped to +4% this time last week and then down to -3% yesterday. Got out completely today at -2.4% after a slight recovery. I was going to weather the storm but the swiftness of the drop spooked me out as well as thinking of the fallout when it hits the US.

The bounce will come. Be ready for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

The bounce will come. Be ready for it
    Any idea when? I was lucky enough to cash out some vanguard shares about two weeks ago with a nice profit, am considering re investing the profit portion back into something but can't purchase these shares on Degiro anymore, pity, the dividend was a nice bonus as well, any decent shares where the dividend is auto invested?

august12 wrote: »
    Any idea when? I was lucky enough to cash out some vanguard shares about two weeks ago with a nice profit, am considering re investing the profit portion back into something but can't purchase these shares on Degiro anymore, pity, the dividend was a nice bonus as well, any decent shares where the dividend is auto invested?

Really hard to tell. I’m waiting for capitulation (if it hasn’t occurred already). If the virus claims a victim in the US, that could be the trigger. But that’s just a hunch

• Advertisement

Just throwing this out here lads. But for the video game industry, Sony are due to release a new Playstation this year, and Microsoft a new Xbox. I could see one or both being postponed.

Same goes for some AAA games titles like Cyberpunk and Final Fantasy VII. If/when I'd expect dips in the console manufacturers and related companies I.e chip manufacturers, video game publishers etc etc

Companies affected from what I mentioned:
    Sony
    Microsoft
    AMD
    CD Projekt Red
    Square Enix

Advertisement