Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭supue

If you mean a floor to sell the stocks at, I use stop loss.

Say I own stocks in company A at $1, and I'm worried about minimising losses should they fall, you set a stop loss. The price at which you want to trigger a sale. You're guaranteed execution, however price might drop lower if the order can't be filled at your price. Stop limit does the same, however will only sell at your limit price, so if your order isn't filled, you could end up with a holding despite the price dropping lower.

Choose sell company A, choose stop loss, and the price you want to sell at. Then choose GTC (it stays open for days until the price comes live, even in after market trading). Set your stop loss too close to current trading price, you risk the sell kicking in during a slight dip, so something you need to be conscious of. As the price rises, you can edit your stop loss price higher to lock in profits. You need to cancel your stop loss before you sell your shares otherwise you end up with a short position which De Giro will flag if you're using this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Going to get some $SPCE and see how that goes and if $SOLO drops into the low $4’s, my limit order will kick in

Both of these are up about 15% in 3 days

July going well so far, time to keep cool and not get carried away

Emotions can kill your common sense and strategy at times. Stick to your plans and take your profits

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭plasmin

Any views on SQ, is it too expensive to buy.? Its cash app is growing v strong.

What do ye think of the following:-

Putting a not insubstantial (that's relative I know) amount into...

IAG
    Lufthansa
    Air France/KLM

and be happy to leave there for 3 years or so. I know it's the opposite of diversified and risky on a number of levels

I know there'd be a risk of a pan-am scenario. But, these shares are at a third (approx) of pre Covid prices, and in the medium term (say 3 years) you'd imagine the world would get back to some normality. Risk yes, but the reward could be significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭in2dark

What do ye think of the following:-

Putting a not insubstantial (that's relative I know) amount into...

IAG
    Lufthansa
    Air France/KLM

and be happy to leave there for years or so. I know it's the opposite of diversified and risky on a number of levels

I know there'd be a risk of a pan-am scenario. But, these shares are at a third (approx) of pre Covid prices, and in the medium term (say 3 years) you'd imagine the world would get back to some normality. Risk yes, but the reward could be significant.

Im doing the same with IAG only from the 3 above as well as SHELL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Kamu

in2dark wrote: »
    Im doing the same with IAG only from the 3 above as well as SHELL

Which exchange are you guys looking at, British or Madrid?

British has more volume but who knows what will happen to the pound.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

One to watch might be Snowflake. They're a cloud computing firm who should be going public soon.

Kamu wrote: »

Madrid to reduce currency exposure. The prices pretty much track each other though taking fx into account. Otherwise arbitrage would be possible (I think).

Kamu wrote: »

Unfortunately uk as i do it on t212 and the madrid listing is not available for IAG

in2dark wrote: »
    Unfortunately uk as i do it on t212 and the madrid listing is not available for IAG

You could always open a Degiro specifically for this (considering it's relatively long term) if your own currency is in euro.

• Advertisement

You could always open a Degiro specifically for this (considering it's relatively long term) if your own currency is in euro.

I have degiro but i prefer the free version :-)

Anyway i believe the currency movement will not be significant in the long run plus i expect the price to adjust accordingly due to arbritrage traders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I'm in IAG and TUI AG both in Euro's to avoid currency fluctuations

I'm in IAG and TUI AG both in Euro's to avoid currency fluctuations

Are you prepared for a long term view and would you be willing to put substantial funds (relative to your amount available to invest) in that position or would you have a day trader outlook?

Trying to see if I'm missing something ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I wouldn't call myself day-trader nor i'm in for long-term...probably short-mid term 3-12 months.

my general rule is not to invest more than 10-15% in one position.

I wouldn't call myself day-trader nor i'm in for long-term...probably short-mid term 3-12 months.

my general rule is not to invest more than 10-15% in one position.

Thanks. Appreciate your take on it. I'm not adverse to taking the gains in 3-12 months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Madrid to reduce currency exposure. The prices pretty much track each other though taking fx into account. Otherwise arbitrage would be possible (I think).

The danger with AIG in Spain is that the government may need to step in and bail them out. I reckon that share price is likely to go under 2eur once they announce results, which are a disaster. AIG in Spain makes most of its money from transatlantic flights which are currently not operating.

Good luck with them anyway!

Galego wrote: »
    The danger with AIG in Spain is that the government may need to step in and bail them out. I reckon that share price is likely to go under 2eur once they announce results, which are a disaster. AIG in Spain makes most of its money from transatlantic flights which are currently not operating.

Good luck with them anyway!

You're right about the earnings. Hadn't thought about full nationalisation. Eek.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

plasmin wrote: »
    Any views on SQ, is it too expensive to buy.? Its cash app is growing v strong.

Not at all, I've been adding regularly this year, would happily add more at this price. They're moving in the right direction

You're right about the earnings. Hadn't thought about full nationalisation. Eek.

Obviously if you are willing to take the gamble and pay off it will give you a nice return in X months.

But I'd wait for results and let the price share sink. It still has a bit to go down.

Also they are to buy Air Europa, another struggling Spanish airline. I dont know yet whether that is good or bad news.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

I'll be keeping my powder dry for now. Once results from the airlines start to materialise then I think there will be another Bloodbath across all the airlines. I'd be expecting all of them to go well below the March lows. Why gamble with the likes of IAG when you could be able to pick up Ryanair sub €8 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

I'll be keeping my powder dry for now. Once results from the airlines start to materialise then I think there will be another Bloodbath across all the airlines. I'd be expecting all of them to go well below the March lows. Why gamble with the likes of IAG when you could be able to pick up Ryanair sub €8 again.

Terrible results wont be any surprise and if they're less bad than expected you may well see them pop.

Why gamble with the likes of IAG when you could be able to pick up Ryanair sub €8 again.

Why would Ryanair be less of a gamble, they have large reserves, but don't IAG also?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

For those of you into your electric car stocks, $SPAQ is one I’m considering as there is a possible imminent merger with Fisker

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    For those of you into your electric car stocks, $SPAQ is one I’m considering as there is a possible imminent merger with Fisker

..so many of these EV stocks - Buy the rumour, sell the news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Tesla, the gift that keeps on giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

What are peoples thoughts on rolls royce?

Its a slow one if anything. Long term of 7 years.
    Its now at bottom low of this whole situation.
    They make their money on mainteance contracts which depend on aircraft engines running. Per mile type of servicing.
    They've plenty of history of recoveries after crashes.
    Well established brand and some diversified sectors like power n defense.
    They already own the same contracts to existing jobs which will immediately begin again when flying resumes. The current flying is small and proportionally still makes profit for RR.

They are burning cash quickly this year. Fixing that with 9k layoffs. They've some bigger liabilities than I'd like n certainly might ask for assistance in future.

Another risk is that management has some downward decline SP before covid. Which has me second guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

manonboard wrote: »
    What are peoples thoughts on rolls royce?

Its a slow one if anything. Long term of 7 years.
    Its now at bottom low of this whole situation.
    They make their money on mainteance contracts which depend on aircraft engines running. Per mile type of servicing.
    They've plenty of history of recoveries after crashes.
    Well established brand and some diversified sectors like power n defense.
    They already own the same contracts to existing jobs which will immediately begin again when flying resumes. The current flying is small and proportionally still makes profit for RR.

They are burning cash quickly this year. Fixing that with 9k layoffs. They've some bigger liabilities than I'd like n certainly might ask for assistance in future.

Another risk is that management has some downward decline SP before covid. Which has me second guessing.

Yeah I added it to my watchlist yesterday, It hasn't really rocketed back like alot of stocks since March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Why would Ryanair be less of a gamble, they have large reserves, but don't IAG also?

I have a few shares of IAG. Will buy more if they dip under £2. Very low P/E, good reserves of cash etc. and remember these
    were £6 before Covid.

Should be a solid bet into the future.

Advertisement