Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Peoples thoughts on Alteryx?, ride the wave or take some profit. I think it has potential to get back to 180.. but I'm a bit skeptical. Might be the new CEO just being bullish. I'm back pre tech stock bubble, which was also pre pandemic bubble so I expect something bad to happen this week to every company I have a piece of.

If it does you've been warned.

I did say something bad was going to happen, so this was trumps tweet followed by 4DPharma ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Still unsure - TBH as to whether to go for the RI. It's either all in or all out. It's not massive numbers here, but it's good money.

If I go all in on the RI, I should end up with 5418 shares @ avg cost of £1.08:

Current
    Purchases: 1073 shares @ £4.02
    Dividend Shares: 115
    Total shares: 1188
    Cost: 1073 * £4.02 = £4,313.46

Max RI:
    New shares: (1188 / 3) * 10 = 3960
    Cost: 3960 @ £0.32 = £1,267.20

Post RI
    Total Shares: 5148
    Avg cost: (£4,313.46 + £1267.20) / 5148 = £1.08

If I sell now, I have losses of £2,507.71:

Sell Now
    1188 * £1.52 = £1,805.75
    Loss = £4,313.46 - £1,805.75 = £2,507.71

The temptation is to go all in on the RI and go long on the shares. If anything, the correct decision might be to see if shares drop and then purchase some more in order to get the avg cost to below £1.00 mark.

Thoughts?

If you don't need money, I would say hold. Another option is you can sell half of it and with the proceeds subscribe to RI's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Atlas_IRL recommends Atlas Trading ...
    .... hmmmm .. are we being totally transparent on potential conflicts of interest...:D

thanks for tip will check it out on the air gapped machine .

hahah just copped that, this was a stupid name I picked donkeys ago. Its US owned. I just let it sit in the background and glance at the alerts, i'd lose my wallet day trading but for the knowledgeable its brilliant. I mainly just read the spac channels.

weemcd wrote: »
    Might be a good entry point for anyone wanting to try 4d.

There was no bad news today at all. Rumours of a Nasdaq listing upcoming at some point, plenty of people still bullish on this one. I'm not selling my small stake anyway. I think between Trump, the election and Covid there are still plenty of rollercoaster moments yet for this year and beyond...

It's dropped nearly 35% today and looks tempting, however I would hold jumpin in just yet, let the price stabilise and then make a move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It's dropped nearly 35% today and looks tempting, however I would hold jumpin in just yet, let the price stabilise and then make a move.

Yeah, I'm actually thinking of averaging down myself. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

I have to think it will rebound strongly over the coming days/weeks. A Twitter search reveals only good news, so I can only come to the conclusion that there is a lot of panic selling happening today as, at the end of the day, it is still technically a penney stock.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Treppen wrote: »
    Ha! I took your tip yonks ago with LUCKN for a couple of quid and meant to dump it. Lets see where this goes then.

lets keep talkin about this you and me.. the more we post the higher it goess..

up another 14% today ...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Look at labours plans for rasing revenues in 2021 budget. Abolishing cgt relief seems to be part of their plans, will the other parties go for similar?
    Also 3% increase in cgt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I think it's time for a separate tax on housing assets.

They're so housing focused they dont see how this hurts people looking to invest in assets outside of housing!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Kilboor wrote: »
    I think it's time for a separate tax on housing assets.

They're so housing focused they dont see how this hurts people looking to invest in assets outside of housing!

Not populist enough. I'd be more afraid of what sinn fein will come out with. They seem to to think that the likes of us are making millions when I'd be happy with low 4 figures

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

jams100 wrote: »
    Not populist enough. I'd be more afraid of what sinn fein will come out with. They seem to to think that the likes of us are making millions when I'd be happy with low 4 figures

That's exactly it, putting high taxes and reducing credits on those investing in shares only hurts the lower income earners. It's not only completely demotivational it's also counter intuitive to allowing people to grow and save their wealth without relying on government money.

Eventually for most of us, there will be a transfer of assets from shares into buying houses all without having to take anything from the government but instead they would rather push us away from this process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭inisfree0504

Look at labours plans for rasing revenues in 2021 budget. Abolishing cgt relief seems to be part of their plans, will the other parties go for similar?
    Also 3% increase in cgt!

From a quick Wikipedia search, it seems we already have one of the highest rates of CGT in the world (above norway, sweden, germany etc). Any more is just madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Also 3% increase in cgt!

Abolishing Entrepreneurial relief is another joke, yea lets make it harder to start a company in an environment where tens of thousands of people are out of work... The mind boggles.

Look at labours plans for rasing revenues in 2021 budget. .........

Modern labour party doesn't know what it's at, sort of a SF esque view on everything now tbh.

I understand the frustration above with those policies, those idiots think if I plug a plug bank into itself I can still power my appliances. They dont realise you need a feed of power (investment, entrpreneurship, capital) to pay for their other policiys.

Now lets get back to putting the G in CGT .
    INTEL finally getting some notice. I think its a safe haven with room for growth if your looking for one. I parked some dosh there when it crashed after their epic earnings on all the AMD hype. With a PE around 10 its way undervalued
    AMD for my gaming system, INTEL for work ... cue the 7nm acolytes..:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭ChuckieEgg

I understand the frustration above with those policies, those idiots think if I plug a plug bank into itself I can still power my appliances. They dont realise you need a feed of power (investment, entrpreneurship, capital) to pay for their other policiys.

Now lets get back to putting the G in CGT .
    INTEL finally getting some notice. I think its a safe haven with room for growth if your looking for one. I parked some dosh there when it crashed after their epic earnings on all the AMD hype. With a PE around 10 its way undervalued
    AMD for my gaming system, INTEL for work ... cue the 7nm acolytes..:)

I've picked up a load of Intel stock too as it will probably Intel for your gaming too as the next Gen gaming will come from cloud based computing services like Googles stadia, Microsoft Azure Cloud Games, Apple Arcade etc

NYCT , are breaking out again , up near 4% in London (broke 7 quid) and 7% in Paris.
    I still think its got room to grow, 25-30% if you add up the contracts its won, they are less than its market cap.. who ever heard of that. Its a gift even at this price.

Time for a coffee, speaking of which LUCKIN up a buck 04 yesterday popped 22% , been double digit gains for 4 days. I think thats got room to run, but be ready to exit quick if the pot goes cold.

GLTA , the markets are responding positively now that that guy 'with the 126 bedroom resort in Palm Springs ' has developed some auntiebodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

NYCT , are breaking out again , up near 4% in London (broke 7 quid) and 7% in Paris.
    I still think its got room to grow, 25-30% if you add up the contracts its won, they are less than its market cap.. who ever heard of that. Its a gift even at this price.

Time for a coffee, speaking of which LUCKIN up a buck 04 yesterday popped 22% , been double digit gains for 4 days. I think thats got room to run, but be ready to exit quick if the pot goes cold.

GLTA , the markets are responding positively now that that guy 'with the 126 bedroom resort in Palm Springs ' has developed some auntiebodies.

How do you buy luckin now that its delisted? i cant see it in degiro, is it because you kept some or using a different platform? cheers!

hottipper wrote: »
    How do you buy luckin now that its delisted? i cant see it in degiro, is it because you kept some or using a different platform? cheers!

I use Etrade US account .
    sorry I forgot many cant trade it

If you don't need money, I would say hold. Another option is you can sell half of it and with the proceeds subscribe to RI's.

Holy s**t Rolls Royce up another 15% today, nearly doubled since Fridays low's

I really hope no one listened to me when I said you should sell. Ive worked in airplane manufacturing buinses and just didnt see how RR would benefit as airlines suffer. I guess a rights issue and a few billion more in loans has seen them right for the near term
    To ere is human, best not to comment on stocks or industries your not closely watching.

Theres a new'ish lobby group in Congress promoting cyber currency, they gave every member of congress $50 in bitcoin as a promo stunt , they are looking to push for regulatory control of cyber currency.
    Interesting item on CNBC, 15% of Americans own cyber currency, 25% of millenials and 33% of businesses accept them.
    Lets see if my MARA, RIOT pickup, but Im holding them for 3-4years out so no rush.

• Advertisement

I really hope no one listened to me when I said you should sell. Ive worked in airplane manufacturing buinses and just didnt see how RR would benefit as airlines suffer. I guess a rights issue and a few billion more in loans has seen them right for the near term
    To ere is human, best not to comment on stocks or industries your not closely watching.

Theres a new'ish lobby group in Congress promoting cyber currency, they gave every member of congress $50 in bitcoin as a promo stunt , they are looking to push for regulatory control of cyber currency.
    Interesting item on CNBC, 15% of Americans own cyber currency, 25% of millenials and 33% of businesses accept them.
    Lets see if my MARA, RIOT pickup, but Im holding them for 3-4years out so no rush.

I was Naysayer as far as Crypto was concerned back in 2013-14 when it was in infancy if only I had listened to some of the boardsies back then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I still haven't bought into crypto. From listening to experts I was of the understanding that it was supposed to protect against crashes, but it crashed in March this year too. So essentially it's behaving like a tech stock now.

The bull case as I see it is that as more people "want" it, well it's a limited resource, so price will go up as demand goes up. I'm open to listening to people explain to me better than that why I should be interested, I like to feel like I understand why a price goes up and down (business performance). I don't feel I know how to do that with Crypto

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

https://uk.reuters.com/article/jpmorgan-diversity-idUSKBN26T0H0

$CARV is ripping it before hours went to $23 in June and can hit $10 plus.
    $IPDN is possibly another one.

It sucks not having before hours trading, watching Carv go up and up and not able to do anything..

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I still haven't bought into crypto. From listening to experts I was of the understanding that it was supposed to protect against crashes, but it crashed in March this year too. So essentially it's behaving like a tech stock now.

The bull case as I see it is that as more people "want" it, well it's a limited resource, so price will go up as demand goes up. I'm open to listening to people explain to me better than that why I should be interested, I like to feel like I understand why a price goes up and down (business performance). I don't feel I know how to do that with Crypto

I still see it as a tulip, but possibly down to my ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭supue

I'm actually sick looking at it the past few days, bought on a comment here at 106, sold out mid 120's as I wanted to lock in a profit, considered buying back in at 130 and decided not to. Serious sellers remorse! Still profit is profit and thanks for the call-out on the drop from whoever posted as I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

supue wrote: »
    I'm actually sick looking at it the past few days, bought on a comment here at 106, sold out mid 120's as I wanted to lock in a profit, considered buying back in at 130 and decided not to. Serious sellers remorse! Still profit is profit and thanks for the call-out on the drop from whoever posted as I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Don't regret not buying - only regret buying :)

What news is there though to warrant these rises. Is there some manipulation going on here?

Anyone here think that long term RR & BAE will merge. UK Gov have golden shares in both.

supue wrote: »

I can completely understand, I had the buy order at 108 and it didn't go through as it closed around 113 on Friday...so you're not alone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I still see it as a tulip, but possibly down to my ignorance.

Same, until I see it being used practically, I'll remain sceptical. I've said that since day 1 & it has risen xxx,xxx% since, but I don't understand the underlying economics & until I do it's a gamble as opposed to an investment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Someone here posted UMC as one to watch, probably a month or so ago, and it looks to be flying. Not sure who it was, but can anyone dig out the post? Can't find much about UMC online and I want to try determine whether there is more growth potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lemonade finally making a big move today. Averaged down when it dipped down to the 40's - I'm finally back in the green. This will be a long hold for me.

Advertisement