Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

bob mcbob wrote: »

Ah tis Nikola you're looking for then! They do some great renderings of hydrogen powered trucks and they even roll down hills!
    https://www.ft.com/content/a875fe3f-f59e-4dcb-aebc-ee54280122be

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    People think 4Dpharma is likely to rise again? Was thinking of going in on it soon.

Up 14% today!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Up 14% today!:cool:

It's a real yo-yo stock. I think it's been vulnerable to pump and dumps recently. Also looking like it was oversold. I could see it back to 150 pretty soon (I know nothing, don't listen to me for financial advice.)

weemcd wrote: »
    It's a real yo-yo stock. I think it's been vulnerable to pump and dumps recently. Also looking like it was oversold. I could see it back to 150 pretty soon (I know nothing, don't listen to me for financial advice.)

Double down again it is, thanks stranger from the internet!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Agreed. If you've done your DD and you value a stock at x and it drops that's when you make your gains. Don't think it was Warren, but one of the big boys said, 'If it's the right price before the dip it's even better value after the dip.' Or words to that effect.

Fair enough but with that logic ratings agency would have two categories, buy and sell... with no room for hold. I dont think one should be applying every maxim literally and in all cases.

Like every investor , the big guys have had epic fails and chased dips that ended up in huge losses. If you knew your market history you could rattle them off, even Buffett has had plenty.

Im happy to invest based on my earlier point , you dont load up on every dip in every stock in your portfolio. If you have that much dry powder lying about then your not putting it to work in the first place.
    Besdies you have no idea of who is the other side of your trade or how much cash they have in their armoury to keep a stock down for however long they want.

now suns shining, its 18 degs here and Im off for my midday cycle and let my investments go to work.

• Advertisement

RIGOLO wrote: »
    you dont load up on every dip in every stock in your portfolio.

You're missing the point. IF you believed the price was right, and assuming no fundamental change, then it makes sense to buy on the Dip.

With that said, it falls down because nobody can fully know the share even with significant research. And it's a generalisation for sure, but there's a logic to it.
    Enjoy your cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Been a nice two weeks. Green across the board and looks to continue

Gamestop, Providence, Barra Resources, and now UpWork.

Kilboor wrote: »

Same! My portfolio is up18% since early September.. the problem is it went down 20% during that little tech correction at the start of September :pac:

The expression stairs up elevator down really holds true.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Kilboor wrote: »

Yeah having a great run for myself too, +15% in October and we're only halfway through. I underperformed in August when big tech had its massive run (Tesla, Apple), so nice to be getting the bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Does anyone bother with premium access to yahoo finance, cnbc etc?

I used to have access to a Bloomberg terminal in my old workplace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

My portfolio is +10% today. Back to its peak profits just before corona hit in march. If you told me I'd be back in this position before the end of the year after all that carnage I would of told you to stop ripping the piss lol.

Edit forgot to say thank you US fed. Let's not get ahead of myself and think I'm actually good at this lol.

Does anyone bother with premium access to yahoo finance, cnbc etc?

I used to have access to a Bloomberg terminal in my old workplace

Nah I don't pay for any services, I keep creating free 14 day simplywallst accounts though using Google accounts

You're missing the point. IF you believed the price was right, and assuming no fundamental change, then it makes sense to buy on the Dip.

With that said, it falls down because nobody can fully know the share even with significant research. And it's a generalisation for sure, but there's a logic to it.
    Enjoy your cycle.

I understand the point , but some here seem to be arguing you should always buy the dip if you believe in a company.
    I still stand over my position, thats not always the case, not every dip is worth chasing. I may be wrong, but we all have to make our own decisions.

You have NO IDEA who is on the opposite side of any trade.
    Irrespective of whether you belive in the fundamentals of a company or not, if the market makers have decided they want to bring it down, they will and they can and they can keep it down for a very very long time, longer than you can stay solvent.

So every dip IMO is not always a buying oppurtunity, it depends on many things, how you guage the strength of whos bringing it down, short ratio, options market, whats happening in the real world, your time frames, how much cash is on the side etc...

Wall St has everyone investing in companies that have never made a profit and may never will with PEs in the 100s mcaps in the billions, pennies for EPS , theres no fundamental basis for that. We are all coining it, for now.
    But equally they are holding back the SP of plenty companies with better balance sheets, better sales and better future with single digit PEs.
    Its a rigged game.
    cycle was great, Covid numbers are at their record numbers in the city near where I live and I got stuck in traffic cars parked on the kerbside cos everyone was rushing to a circus.. yes believe it or not a circus/fun fair had setup shop in the local playing fields and young uns falling over themselves to get into it for the Wed half day .. I grinned to myself and thought of all my investments in COvid testing companies , thats a dip I will follow.

best of luck to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

One of the things I struggle with is coming up with an exit point for the stocks I'm in. Does anyone have any site or source that they've found to be reasonably reliable for suggesting target prices?

Does anyone have any site or source that they've found to be reasonably reliable for suggesting target prices?

It's the reverse of the buy decision? Why did you buy it at that price. If it goes beyond what you think is fair value then sell.

Some stocks will remain relatively stable and people stay with them for Dividend purposes.

The only "rule" I remember someone saying years ago was to sell at 40% gains regardless. But, that was just a personal choice of theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

It's the reverse of the buy decision? Why did you buy it at that price. If it goes beyond what you think is fair value then sell.

Some stocks will remain relatively stable and people stay with them for Dividend purposes.

The only "rule" I remember someone saying years ago was to sell at 40% gains regardless. But, that was just a personal choice of theirs.

Aye I'd have a rough idea where I'd see it going when I buy after doing my due diligence but it's nice to have a shortcut to check in from time to time to see if my exit price is still realistic or underamibitious. Yahoo and CNN do aggregations of analysts price targets but I find them to be a bit all over the shop.

One of the things I struggle with is coming up with an exit point for the stocks I'm in. Does anyone have any site or source that they've found to be reasonably reliable for suggesting target prices?

Selling your winners and holding/adding to your losers is like cutting the flowers and watering the weeds - Peter Lynch ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,276 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You have NO IDEA who is on the opposite side of any trade.
    Irrespective of whether you belive in the fundamentals of a company or not, if the market makers have decided they want to bring it down, they will and they can and they can keep it down for a very very long time, longer than you can stay solvent.

It should not matter who is on the other side of the deal. And if it does, then you are playing with penny stock and you should not even be there.

Have a look at the logic behind this book Take Stock. Unfortunately they don't ship it outside the States, but you can sometimes find it on EBay or get someone you know in the States order it and ship it to you.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It should not matter who is on the other side of the deal. And if it does, then you are playing with penny stock and you should not even be there.

Tough day on the market . .dow,nasdaq,s&p all red
    Among many other things market has jitters over the stimulus bill not getting signed.

but when your portfolio is still green when the broader market is red then you know all those penny stocks (:rolleyes:) and dips (;)) you didnt buy are working out just the way you planned...thank you LAKE, NCYT, NIO :D

If variety is the spice of life, diversity is the essence of a portfolio.
    have a great powerhour everyone.

• Advertisement

Aye I'd have a rough idea where I'd see it going when I buy after doing my due diligence but it's nice to have a shortcut to check in from time to time to see if my exit price is still realistic or underamibitious. Yahoo and CNN do aggregations of analysts price targets but I find them to be a bit all over the shop.

Sorry but these guys know no more that you do and in some cases may be less!

Over thirty years, I had analysts admit to me:
    - They only read the company press release....
    - They did not read the notes to the accounts
    - They have never seen an actual 10-K
    - They have never visited any of the company's operations
    - They have no knowledge of the competitors etc...
    - They only keyed the data from the press release into a pre build model which spewed out the answer! But understanding the model... no not really.

So you got a bunch of guys sitting in an office spewing out reports based on press releases etc... and punishing the stock when they get it wrong.

Personally I never pay any attention to these guys because they are more likely to mess up your thinking than to provide any real insight.

Among many other things market has jitters over the stimulus bill not getting signed.

but when your portfolio is still green when the broader market is red then you know all those penny stocks (:rolleyes:) and dips (;)) you didnt buy are working out just the way you planned...thank you LAKE, NCYT, NIO :D

But, if you bought the stock previously and it now dipped one of two things apply.

1. You got your DD wrong previously and bought at too high a price.
    2. The stock is oversold and trust your DD and fill your boots.

If you didn't hold the stock previously it's irrelevant in this scenario

Yea, you will eventually learn just how wrong you are.... but the problem is it will take you about thirty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Yeah having a great run for myself too, +15% in October and we're only halfway through. I underperformed in August when big tech had its massive run (Tesla, Apple), so nice to be getting the bounce.

Spoke too soon!

Fastly announced tonight that the TikTok issue resulted in lower usage in TikTok so less income for Fastly - down 28% currently.

Other TikTok customers (that I hold) taking a hit also...
    Datadog down 8%
    Cloudfare down 8%

No movement in Trade Desk yet but suspect that will take a hit tomorrow too

IF you can buy in AHs it might be worth buying EDSA. Insiders released SEC records of buying significant Share Options at Market value just before close. I see huge growth for this company, wouldn't rule out a company buy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

IF you can buy in AHs it might be worth buying EDSA. Insiders released SEC records of buying significant Share Options at Market value just before close. I see huge growth for this company, wouldn't rule out a company buy out.

Holy hell thats had a rough ride over the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭crushproof

Shedite27 wrote: »
    No movement in Trade Desk yet but suspect that will take a hit tomorrow too

Superb performance recently so hopefully just a minor dip before continuing its rise

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Yea, you will eventually learn just how wrong you are.... but the problem is it will take you about thirty years.
    ohh that struck deep... :D

Yesterdays Financial Times had a very amusing article, quite timely given yesterdays back and forth on this same topic..

and to think some posters on this thread claim it doesnt matter who is on the other side of your trade... tut tut tut :rolleyes:

its paywall .. well worth the expense, I snipped a bit below..

https://www.ft.com/content/0a14e904-5fac-41bd-a9b4-a8a588db15c5
    Hedge fund short sellers target pandemic winners.
    Shares linked to home computing and gym equipment, grocery retail and healthcare soared when the pandemic forced countries into lockdown earlier this year. Many were lifted by hopes that changing behaviour and shopping patterns as a result of Covid-19 would feed through into stronger, long-term earnings growth, even though some companies have until recently been unprofitable.

But some hedge fund managers are now betting against those stocks, in the belief that the boost to company earnings will fade away faster than many investors anticipate.

so people in black and pink (pun intended) fyi your up against the whales with billion dollar wallets, long term strategys to take down some of your 2020 winners .
    And in an alternate universe this information doesnt matter to your portfolio ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Good time to Buy Peloton so :p

• Advertisement

Holy hell thats had a rough ride over the last few years

:confused:

I think you might be taking the share price drop over the years at face value. This is STILL a very small cap company with news for a potential game changing Covid Therapy (amongst others). They have issued some shares over the last few years, which will affect how the chart looks which may confuse some people (cough).

TLDR Be careful how you read charts.

Advertisement