Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

What are people's opinion on a logistics/warehouse REIT? No doubt there will be higher demand for warehouses in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Edesa, my main play up 24% before the bell. FDA approval for stage 2 Trials for Covid Therapy. Already had been approved in Canada. Waiting on government funding now. Had hoped for a bigger move, but hopefully no spike with more steady climb.

Previous spikes have been followed by big falls. Looking that way again??

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Edesa, my main play up 24% before the bell. FDA approval for stage 2 Trials for Covid Therapy. Already had been approved in Canada. Waiting on government funding now. Had hoped for a bigger move, but hopefully no spike with more steady climb.

I'm also in, unfortunately fastly is just taking any gains I have at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

One to watch Corsair gaming, it listed few weeks ago and with holiday season it looks ripe for decent growth...GS have price target of 32...I picked some last week in low 18's.

Fastly coming under pressure again, reckon it test the support around 78-79 levels.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Agreed, in newbies would be well advised to ignore most of what is said here they have the skill to filter out the BS.

@Rigolo

Do you have access to the order books, in sufficient detail to back up this statement with actual facts, or are you just repeating what the talking heads are saying?

hit an 18% gain this morning, 200% since Friday took my top slice .. its a free ride from here on it..
    .. the wifes in the shopping centre with the kids, I told her get them all new clobber , HERTZ are paying .. happy wife happy life
    hows that for filtering bs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

^^^^^^^^^^

1-Wf-kv-vksu-FWor-Lzokvkgg.jpg

Can I get peoples thoughts on Fastly or is anyone else in?

I thought it would have started to correct today but it still seems to be dripping down. Lots of sell volumes coming in but can also see ARK adding. I'm truly stumped. I have a feeling it might go mid 70s

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Can I get peoples throughts on Fastly, I thought it would have corrected today but the sell volumes keep coming however I can see ARK are adding but I'm now stumped on what to do.. I think there might be more pain to mid 70s before a bounce

Honestly I think cloud is done, regarding stocks price and company valuations, sure it will intrude more into our lives, but the gains have been made , and the over valuations are catching up.
    FSLY is just the first to fall, but others will follow soon.
    Profit margins are shrinking, everyones in on the game, businesses are complaining about cloud complexity , Amazon moving their Outposts on premises, cheaper hw all round.

I could be wrong, I only caught a small bit of the cloud rise , so what do I know. Good luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Jaysis. That didn't last long anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

RedRochey wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on a logistics/warehouse REIT? No doubt there will be higher demand for warehouses in the future

Which ones are you looking at out of curiosity?

• Advertisement

Rothmans wrote: »
    Jaysis. That didn't last long anyway!

ooofh.. I gotta start profit taking with these spikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Soo, now that's its back to where it finished the day Friday..... what do you see over the next few days?

I'd love to hear your take on what's happened today, what an emotional rollercoaster. My day time job distracted me from the profits unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

I reckon for these short-term small cap stocks, once it's up 20-25% you should take the profit.

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I'd love to hear your take on what's happened today, what an emotional rollercoaster. My day time job distracted me from the profits unfortunately.

Practically the same... So, I'm bag holding, but my BEP is about €6.40 so not so bad.

It was the epitome of Buy the Rumour, Sell the News. It only got to a level similar to when it was first expected the news would come out (but the company fluffed the original FDA application and had to go another 30 days).

There are lots of catalysts so not selling just yet. Canadian funding will spike it, company bought out will seriously spike it. Announcement of trial starts will give it a lift. Results of stage 2 trial will hopefully be another plus.

BTW, I think this stock has serious potential, considering the insider stock holding level, the management buying stocks at market value only a few days ago, plus the actual products are good (not just the Covid therapy). So, while holding long is a pain, it could be worse.

Practically the same... So, I'm bag holding, but my BEP is about €6.40 so not so bad.

It was the epitome of Buy the Rumour, Sell the News. It only got to a level similar to when it was first expected the news would come out (but the company fluffed the original FDA application and had to go another 30 days).

There are lots of catalysts so not selling just yet. Canadian funding will spike it, company bought out will seriously spike it. Announcement of trial starts will give it a lift. Results of stage 2 trial will hopefully be another plus.

BTW, I think this stock has serious potential, considering the insider stock holding level, the management buying stocks at market value only a few days ago, plus the actual products are good (not just the Covid therapy). So, while holding long is a pain, it could be worse.

I'm not stupid, just fiscally irresponsible so I will follow your play!

But in seriousness thanks for your 2 cents!

RIGOLO wrote: »
    my US covid picks are green across the futures (fwiw) board

Big mask play in my portfolio is APT whihc I mentioned before , and Ive a small position in LAKE.. neither were getting much love from Wall St despite great quarters , little debt etc. .. but will benefit off of the news.

OPK (aka Bioreference labs) are under $4 and also showing green. This is a mad stock, its manipulated both internally and externally , heavily shorted but has a legit business and legit lab footprint, options interest was already looking positive before the news.

APT - 11%, LAKE - 4% and OPK 8% today ...not too bad and its only Monday.

Still room to run in these , they have been trying to break thru some resistance lately (arent all stocks) Im hoping earnings will give them a leg up.

But the first two are very risky, they have great balance sheets, low debt ratios, good price/sales etc .. Wall ST hates that stuff, they much prefer a company losing money hand over fist .. I jest...

Election looming another great reason to b'n'b some shares before tax deadline if your willing to take that 30 day risk

glta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

UpWork finally moving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Rigolo, you have a way with words ,am still chuckling

RIGOLO wrote: »
    APT - 11%, LAKE - 4% and OPK 8% today ...not too bad and its only Monday.

Still room to run in these , they have been trying to break thru some resistance lately (arent all stocks) Im hoping earnings will give them a leg up.

But the first two are very risky, they have great balance sheets, low debt ratios, good price/sales etc .. Wall ST hates that stuff, they much prefer a company losing money hand over fist .. I jest...

Election looming another great reason to b'n'b some shares before tax deadline if your willing to take that 30 day risk

glta

Re Bnb-ing shares. I've done some research, and I've come to the conclusion that the 30 day rule only applies to capturing a paper CGT loss, whereas it is perfectly permissible to BnB shares to capture a gain (without the 30 day rule applying) Is this correct?

It is difficult to find a definitive answer.

• Advertisement

Re Bnb-ing shares. I've done some research, and I've come to the conclusion that the 30 day rule only applies to capturing a paper CGT loss, whereas it is perfectly permissible to BnB shares to capture a gain (without the 30 day rule applying) Is this correct?

It is difficult to find a definitive answer.

I've looked into this before.
    Basically you can't sell shares and use the loss to reduce your CGT bill if you buy them back within 30 days.
    This is to avoid potentially making a gain from the loss on disposal by reducing your CGT by more than it cost to buy them back. For this to happen they'd need to drop in value in the intervening 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

OK guys - quick gains if you invest in the following:

Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple

Each and every one is currently under valued

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I've looked into this before.
    Basically you can't sell shares and use the loss to reduce your CGT bill if you buy them back within 30 days.
    This is to avoid potentially making a gain from the loss on disposal by reducing your CGT by more than it cost to buy them back. For this to happen they'd need to drop in value in the intervening 30 days.

Yes, that is my understanding. My question relates to the converse, i.e. can you realise a gain, and immediately repurchase a share in order to utilise your annual CGT exemption in respect of that gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Iseesheeps

Anyone know a broker were i can buy put options or warrants on irish shares? While I dont see another drop in the ISAQ akin to that of March I anticipate a potential 8-10% drop serious profits to be made shorting this collapsing economy

Yes, that is my understanding. My question relates to the converse, i.e. can you realise a gain, and immediately repurchase a share in order to utilise your annual CGT exemption in respect of that gain?

Yes, there is no problem doing that.

If your repurchasing shares your going to fall under the FirstInFirstOut FIFO and 4 weeks rule. Perhaps you can give more info on your scenario and we can comment.

Speaking for myself and sure who else would I be speaking for , bed and breakfasting shares, or as they say in America a 'wash sale', I think this year in particular is one to pay attention .
    With a looming US election,potential for a delayed result, COVID lockdowns extending and a Nov 31st prelimanry cgt tax deadline , then use of the 30 day rule and CGT loss is to be considered.

IF you are worried that whatever you sell before repurchasing will suddenly spike up in the 30 day grace period you have some limiting options
    Some of these have other considerations ...

You could buy a sector competitor... eg sell APA (apache oil) realise the CGT loss and buy into OXY , just in case oil spikes ..
    You can bed and ETF .. again sell , realise the CGT loss and buy into that sectors ETF for 30 days. Or buy into a CFD to trade that stock, or an index tracker
    In the UK people will sell and buy back the share via a SIPP or ISA

You could bed and spouse (thats my favouriite but not for tax reasons) , you sell realise cgt loss and get the missus to buy them and hold, her entry point is much lower and we all love a lower entry point . :D

Theres other ways to play it. Personally I dont like over complexing and going after every tax penny. For instance I have rarely claimed medical expenses tax allowance for me or the family, I always felt the health service is under strain and Im happy to live in a 1st world country with health services avail to me and loved ones so Im happy to pay over the odds into that system.
    AS a millionaire once said whats the point of being rich if society is falling apart and you cant go outside to enjoy it. Besides Penny pinching becomes boring and we all knows those types, so mean they wouldnt spend Christmas.

Summer fun is over, winter has arrived, brutal market forces are looking to hit eoy targets and bonuses... beware they want the change down the back of your sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭riddles

It’s a dice roll but any opinions on GEVO biofuels?

riddles wrote: »
    It’s a dice roll but any opinions on GEVO biofuels?

thanks for the tip , Im going to park some oil losses in there ... (the oil play was always a headge mid pandemic that 'The Thing' would all fade away)
    This very low price also gives an option to hedge against a Biden win (you have no idea how hard it was for me to write that). Its a risk as ethanol producers demand is weak at the moment and they cant even sell on their byproducts like corn feed as US farmers are over supplied. Many ethanol producers turning to hand sanitizer manufacturer.

Still its a low price , fairly low mcap for number of workers ( I know not scientific but I look at number of workers in most companies I invest in), with some cash on hand. I like to play multiple sectors and this one along with AMTX will do me for an ethanol green energy play . Lets call it my carbon guilt credit for investing in all that dirty oil for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Sorolla wrote: »
    OK guys - quick gains if you invest in the following:

Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple

Each and every one is currently under valued

Very broad and troll like statement there but I'll bite.

- What are you defining as quick gains, 1/2/20%?
    - When do you say people should enter and exit?
    - Why are they undervalued?

• Advertisement

PHG wrote: »
    - Why are they undervalued?

The markets don't price these lads too wrong IMO ........
    Johnson + Johnson
    Novartis
    Pfizer
    Siemens
    BASF
    Apple

Advertisement