Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭peterofthebr

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So MSFT beat earnings and drop. 10 or more companies I held this year did the same whilst companies who lost money gained on their SP.
    Its a rigged game . Dont ever forget it.

The market is effectively a board game now . A combination of snakes and ladders, Monopoly, Cluedo , Chess and draughts all played on the same board with all their pieces in place at the same time. But only Wall St and market makers tell you what game is being played at any one time.

So Wall St and market makers say its chess time , and rules of chess apply, they move the market, put your Queen under attack. Its then your move, the private investor and you go to move your Queen out of danger but they say no now its snakes and ladders time you need to throw a 6 , you dont throw a 6, back to the market maker he says its back to chess time again and takes your queen. Good analogy even if I do say so myself.

Epic red day, election and Covid all coming together nicely. I was hoping an oppurtunity like this would come along again. First time round was a chance in a lifetime, a second oppurtunity in less than 12 months is just unreal.

If you made money out of the crash in March and the recovery since then this is your chance to compound those gains, a mini double dip is on the cards. Planning and patience will get you thru as it did in Q1-Q2 2020.
    If you didnt make money out of the crash in March and the recovery then you should take care. Change your strategy and figure out what worked back then and repeat.
    Granted alot of value is already backed in , so lets get back to portfolio growths of 10-15% per annum being healthy, no shame in that, the 10% jumps in a day were an anomaly. Remember its investing, a bit like growing a few plants or trees, starting small before you know it the years have passed and your picking pears off the trees in your garden .

Red across the board, more Covid lockdowns coming across Europe, election, a second blow to many businesses that just cant take a second blow, mortgage andrent breaks coming to an end, no workers goign back to the office, winter on its way and a Christmas unlike any before .. there is blood on the floor with more to come just make sure its not yours.

buy on the dip anyone :eek::rolleyes:

DOW seems to be moving faster downwards, ..time to sit back and see how low she goes.
    https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=.DJI

..FED to start telling backrock to buy more stocks ...any moment now ;-)

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Soo my timing was pretty good (for a change). The arse is falling out of Nyct. What price to jump back in at though is the question..now ???

I am going to stick with the Paris exchange soo looking for an entry in the €8's

well played ..
    I dont even know what price its at today. I havent looked.
    If you need to be checking your portfolio every day, your either very nervous or not happy with how you are positioned, or an unhealthy attraction to money.
    I think it was a rabbi who once explained to me that the bible doesnt say money is the root of all evil , he said its the pursuit of money that is the root of all evil, an important difference .

its nice to take a few days off whilst the floor is crashing, I will let it drop a bit more and pick up some on Friday or after d-day

bought into CRH there(iseq), long term play..will add another few houndred if it sinks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

What do you guys do to get the intrinsic value of each stock?? Do you do any analysis?? Dividend discount analysis?

• Advertisement

GiftofGab wrote: »
    What do you guys do to get the intrinsic value of each stock?? Do you do any analysis?? Dividend discount analysis?

That. That of course, plus the tried and tested 'stick index finger in mouth then hold up in the air.'.

Most of the fundamentals are priced in (so the theory goes) - buy the rumour sell the news is a strong element of pricing for growth stocks. Hearing the "rumour" in time is imperative. You can get this from a number of places including target stock investor updates or Investor update sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

GiftofGab wrote: »

I've read there's too types of investors, ones that do all the analysis, due diligence etc then decide to invest..

and the other is a "aah you know it feels right, with everyone working from home I reckon they'll need more mouses and keyboards what company does that"

I'm unfortunately on the latter side.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

My BOI investments are losing money even though a global wall of printed money seems to be keeping the stock markets up (after the initial panic).
    I get the strong impression though that the Covid impact really hasn't hit yet. So many companies and business are operating on government funded life support and I think enterprise customer demand is starting to seriously drop now that 3-9 month contracts/projects are lapsing.
    I think it will be carnage in 2021 but I don't know what fund is safe anymore. I want to get out of equity soon though.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Fastly hasnt seen a green day since the 14th of October, I won't make it to christmas at this rate watching it everyday

I had a SL of notch under 73 and it got hit other day...if results are good tonite, it could jump...if you're not neck deep hold it with a SL and see how it pans out.

buy on the dip anyone :eek::rolleyes:

Sure, so many names from my watchlist are in the buy range:D

We're seeing records numbers from the second wave, reckon we'll see march lows for some of the old favourites this week.

• Advertisement

Sure, so many names from my watchlist are in the buy range:D

We're seeing records numbers from the second wave, reckon we'll see march lows for some of the old favourites this week.

It would be a real chance if we did see march lows ...but i would be very suprised - rem: dont fight the fed...

also if Trump looses (biden will raise taxes ) market could slide more...

also - Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked - Warren Buffett

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Across my portfolio and watch list the only green I see are boi electrolux and a polish insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

My BOI investments are losing money even though a global wall of printed money seems to be keeping the stock markets up (after the initial panic).
    I get the strong impression though that the Covid impact really hasn't hit yet. So many companies and business are operating on government funded life support and I think enterprise customer demand is starting to seriously drop now that 3-9 month contracts/projects are lapsing.
    I think it will be carnage in 2021 but I don't know what fund is safe anymore. I want to get out of equity soon though.

Banks share prices will stay low for a long time to come as they can’t make money in the low interest rate environment so won’t be paying dividends. The excess cash floating around is costing them money as they either place with ecb at a negative rate or buy a gov bond at a negative rate. The share price will only go up once the market thinks rates will rise

It would be a real chance if we did see march lows ...but i would be very suprised - rem: dont fight the fed...

also if Trump looses (biden will raise taxes ) market could slide more...

also - Only when the tide goes out do you discover who's been swimming naked - Warren Buffett

We may not see S&P close to March lows thanks to FAANG+ brigade

But some sectors like Oil n travel who have taken the hardest hit are close to March lows.

BP n OXY made a fresh low, RDS, XOM not that far.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    So MSFT beat earnings and drop. 10 or more companies I held this year did the same whilst companies who lost money gained on their SP.
    Its a rigged game . Dont ever forget it.

Thats the theme across the board now, if results match or exceed, sell them and jump to a new name whose losses weren't as bad as expected. :D

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

On days like today , unless you have an actual strategy and pre-determined plays you wanted to make, your best to not watch the ticker.

Better to use the time to think about what you will do tomorrow, next week, next month and next year.

my guns SWBI and RGR and my mask play APT are well in the green
    APT report in a week, RGR tonight I believe
    Everything else is getting hit hard, the beauty of the brutality in a time when all else in life is diluted. I love it.

oh and HTZ are up 11% ...11% green in the midst of a 2 day sell off... you see newbies I told you last week, play HTZ its the best educational roller coaster in town.

MSFT down as NASDAQ is under pressure from today's Congress drilling against FB, Twitter and Google (over censorship of news) - that's outside covid news! managers selling today where they made profit recently... Also concerns on fed stillimus

.. everybody knows allot of stocks are over priced..stocks might bounce tomorrow who knows

Dji down 3.42% !!!!! I'm looking at maybe ColaCola and Goldman sachs.... Watcen cnbc(taking heads) stats indicate more lows to come...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Banks share prices will stay low for a long time to come as they can’t make money in the low interest rate environment so won’t be paying dividends. The excess cash floating around is costing them money as they either place with ecb at a negative rate or buy a gov bond at a negative rate. The share price will only go up once the market thinks rates will rise

True and I would also run away (seriously) from banking shares as all central banks are now discussing central bank digital currencies. When (not if) CBDCs arrive retail banks are likely to become irrelevant in terms of current/deposit accounts.

In short, with the low interest rates and upcoming CBDCs, central banks are destroying the business model of retail banks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Which websites are you folks using for earnings calendars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Shedite27 wrote: »
    SNAP up 25% after results. Bodes well for Pinterest when they report.

Pinterest up 20% in after hours post-results (albeit after a 7% dip today). Been one of my biggest winners for the year, up 400% since March. Hopefulyl some others got on them when I mentioned them here in June at $20
    I hold Pintrest and will add today, think they'll be a beneficiary of this as it seems to avoid Hate/Demonstration posts so should less impacted by this. They're also the social network with the best least inflated price so a lot of room to grow, and are also doing a big job at expanding overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Back in March we had big down days following less big up days, I reckon good chance of a bounce tomorrow and a big dump on Friday again.
    Holding off until election result becomes clear or a clear target is hit( eg BAM @ $24, BA @ $120 for example) don't see those any time soon but I'm comfortable at those prices.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭jenneyk19

if covid gets bad this winter expect stock market crash

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Which websites are you folks using for earnings calendars

Earnings whispers

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I see that gold didn't go up after markets are down today. So it does look like people are cashing in profit, and not reinvesting into safe havens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Kilboor wrote: »
    Earnings whispers

I'm not sure if you are pulling the piss out of me or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

I don't use it but
    https://www.earningswhispers.com/calendar

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Pinterest up 20% in after hours post-results (albeit after a 7% dip today). Been one of my biggest winners for the year, up 400% since March. Hopefulyl some others got on them when I mentioned them here in June at $20

I joined in July, disgusted in myself as another friend tipped it! Congrats!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,276 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Sorry I didn't mean bank shares. I meant the funds managed by BOI.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I'm confused :D

Advertisement