Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Stop losses become targets though. Traders can see how many shares that need to be bought to break down to the stop losses i.e. they can become targets to trigger.

Chinese Whospers
    to whom do i have to subscribe to get this info,on stop losses,which i assume shows all lurking bids. Also want instant prices.
    thanks in advance

regards

rugbyman wrote: »
    Chinese Whospers
    to whom do i have to subscribe to get this info,on stop losses,which i assume shows all lurking bids. Also want instant prices.
    thanks in advance

regards

Hi,

I think it's mostly day traders have this, but give a look here (I don't have access to it directly) https://www.investopedia.com/articles/trading/06/level2quotes.asp#:~:text=Level%20II%20is%20essentially%20the,insight%20into%20the%20price%20action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I see Ark Invest's ETF is up 80% YTD, you can also subscribe to their daily purchases/sells on their website?
    The level of transparency here is amazing considering their business model.

Anyone here following or copying?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Is it just me or does this feel like the dot.com bubble all over again where investors are no longer looking at the fundamentals of the company for its valuation.

yes .. for various reasons I agree with this sentiment..

QQQS - 3x Short Nasdaq 100 is your friend if this is a medium term outlook and you want to invest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RIGOLO wrote: »
    yes .. for various reasons I agree with this sentiment..

QQQS - 3x Short Nasdaq 100 is your friend if this is a medium term outlook and you want to invest

I think most people would agree there is a disconnect between price and value in the tech sector (i.e. that many share prices are too high fort the value of what you are buying).

Having said that, shorting the market with leverage is incredibly risky as no one knows at which point a bubble might burst, and if prices keep going up while you are holding this ETF the losses can be massive. As they say, “the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”.

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think most people would agree there is a disconnect between price and value in the tech sector (i.e. that many share prices are too high fort the value of what you are buying).

Having said that, shorting the market with leverage is incredibly riskyas no one knows at which point a bubble might burst, and if prices keep going up while you are holding this ETF the losses can be massive. As they say, “the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”.

I dont think that paints an exact picture.
    This is a fully collaterised product, your maximum loss is your stake, which is the same risk as any long position .
    Buying QQQS isnt shorting the market with leverage.
    The underlying assets do have a compounding rebalance of the daily leverage whihc is different.
    This rebalance will underperform against you if there is high volatility but if the trend is up (or in this case NASDAQ trend down) they this compounding effect will work for you .

Agreed theres risk, theres always risk, but IMO its limited risk and if you want a short term play and if you believe in an upcoming short-medium term downward trend in the NASDAQ or other indexes then these ETFs will outperform.

This is a fully collaterised product, your maximum loss is your stake, which is the same risk as any long position .

Yeah, your broker will close out a position unless you increase your funds. If no funding is received by a certain time they will purchase the required shares from your funds if the price rises too high.

Basically, the house is safe, but you could lose the funds you have in your account in a veritable blink of an eye.

Yeah, your broker will close out a position unless you increase your funds. If no funding is received by a certain time they will purchase the required shares from your funds if the price rises too high.

Basically, the house is safe, but you could lose the funds you have in your account in a veritable blink of an eye.

im too busy .. to explain
    but thats complete rubbish given what we were talking about.. have a read back, then go do some research
    if you dont understand QQQS and how ridiculous that statement is given thats what we are talking about then I really dont have time to explain and to be honest an unleveraged ETF is not for you .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Having said that, shorting the market with leverage is incredibly risky as no one knows at which point a bubble might burst, and if prices keep going up while you are holding this ETF the losses can be massive. As they say, “the market can remain irrational longer than you can remain solvent”.

Very true the vix can give an indication of when but as you say it’s very risky

im too busy .. to explain
    but thats complete rubbish given what we were talking about.. have a read back, then go do some research
    if you dont understand QQQS and how ridiculous that statement is given thats what we are talking about then I really dont have time to explain and to be honest an unleveraged ETF is not for you .

Calm down dear, I'm not referencing QQQS in the slightest, just in general.

You've got the most fragile ego on this thread, and takes from the genuine good info you put up here.

• Advertisement

Very true the vix can give an indication of when but as you say it’s very risky

Explain why QQQS or any other fully collatorized non-leveraged ETF is very risky ?
    I will wait....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Explain why QQQS or any other fully collatorized non-leveraged ETF is very risky ?
    I will wait....

I haven’t said anything about an ETF all I have said is that it very risky to short the stock as the timing might be wrong.

Buying QQQS isnt shorting the market with leverage.

True, you can't lose more than your original stake. But it still is leveraged in the sense that your gains/losses are magnified by a factor 3. I.e. if you invested 100 and the indice rises 10% tomorrow, you will lose 30 (and if the indice increases 30% you lose almost everything you had invested - that is leverage).

And this is not even taking into account beta slippage, which will kill your performance if you have to hold it long term waiting for the tide to turn in the direction you are hoping for (meaning even if you end-up being right, if you had to hold the product for too long before your expectations came true you could still be losing money).

So just my view, but IMO this type of ETF shouldn't be held for more than a couple of days (either as a cover for other positions, or if one has a very strong conviction that the indice will drop in the immediate future).

For reference, see below the effect of beta slippage on 3x leveraged long and short ETFs with 10% daily volatility. After 50 days the market hasn't moved but the 3x short ETF has lost 94% of its value. Of course 10% daily volatility is an extreme exemple, but lately the markets aren't exactly smooth either and beta slippage is far from insignificant.

48749491-15145778832648926_origin.png

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Fastly still on the down after hours, one of the few in my watchlist to stay red yesterday. I'll have to turn to holistic trading soon if this keeps up!

True, you can't lose more than your original stake. But it still is leveraged in the sense that your gains/losses are magnified by a factor 3. I.e. if you invested 100 and the Nasdaq rises 10% tomorrow, you will lose 30 (and if the indice increases 30% you lose almost everything you had invested - that is leverage). ...

nice chart but its meaningless. I already covered the case for volatility .
    (you can see that QQQS has lost about 70% of its value in the past 6 months
    6 months of data is not painting the actual picture.

I happen to think we are back into February , first week of March territory .
    So Im playing QQQS and a few others to catch the same type of trend that happened back then . While your long holdings were crashing thru the floor the index short ETFS like QQQS was offering 100%+ gains during that window, so like I say your chart is meaningless as its a chart of the post MARCH market crash recovery, but Im talking about benefiting from an upcoming potential second market crash and not losing your shirt.

Those who are smart enough to see the difference can invest in a perfectly safe non-leveraged ETF with very limited risk as a hedge against the winds that are blowing thru society that may see a second major dip in coming month.

Its all opinion . If you dont think 'winter is coming' dont buy into it.
    If you do , then buy some .
    I bought more SHORT non-leveraged ETFs this morning, record covid cases worldwide yestreday and Faucci is talking late 2021 early 2022 before normality.
    Anyone who thinks the same , free country, jump on board.
    Anyone who thinks because of this I am exposed to potential leveraged margin calls from my brokers is talking out their .....

nice chart but its meaningless. I already covered the case for volatility .

6 months of data is not painting the actual picture.

I happen to think we are back into February , first week of March territory .
    So Im playing QQQS and a few others to catch the same type of trend that happened back then . While your long holdings were crashing thru the floor the index short ETFS like QQQS was offering 100%+ gains during that window, so like I say your chart is meaningless as its a chart of the post MARCH market crash recovery, but Im talking about benefiting from an upcoming potential second market crash and not losing your shirt.

Those who are smart enough to see the difference can invest in a perfectly safe non-leveraged ETF with very limited risk as a hedge against the winds that are blowing thru society that may see a second major dip in coming month.

Its all opinion . If you dont think 'winter is coming' dont buy into it.
    If you do , then buy some .
    I bought more SHORT non-leveraged ETFs this morning, record covid cases worldwide yestreday and Faucci is talking late 2021 early 2022 before normality.
    Anyone who thinks the same , free country, jump on board.
    Anyone who thinks because of this I am exposed to potential leveraged margin calls from my brokers is talking out their .....

I have lost track of how many times you wrote "non-leveraged" in the past few posts :)

The QQQS ETF you are referring to is leveraged though ... see the KIID for the ETF, whereby the very issuer of this product states "losses will be magnified by leverage". I don't think anyone is claiming that holding this ETF is subjecting you to margin calls (obviously it isn't, it is the point of the product to avoid it, and package the complexity of leveraged investment into a simple to hold ETF). But no margin calls doesn't mean no leverage: there is leverage built into the product to achieve the triple magnitude effect - essentially the issuer is borrowing and/or buying leveraged derivatives on your behalf to achieve the tripling effect, the underlying financial structure is significantly more complex than a basic ETF tracking an indice.

On the chart I posted. It illustrates the effect of beta slippage on leveraged ETFs like QQQS (and shows that effect is even more pronounced for short ETFs than it is for long ETFs). The is a generic concept and nothing to do with specific marked conditions this year. The point is that holding this type of ETF for any prolonged period tends to cost quite a bit of money regardless of what the market does.

Hence why those should only be used for a short period of time an if one has very strong conviction or requires cover. As I said, nothing wrong with using that ETF if you have very strong conviction the Nasdaq will crash in the coming days. But if we are talking weeks or even more so months, then it is a fairly costly and risky instrument to use.

ANY WAY - as the races are about to start.

What are peoples thoughts on Pinterest long term, I like how they are making their website into a marketplace where they can create profit rather than people just posting pretty pictures, has the boat sailed or do people see long term value?

I have lost track of how many times you wrote "non-leveraged" in the past few posts :)

The QQQS ETF you are referring to is leveraged though ... see the KIID for the ETF, whereby the very issuer of this product states "losses will be magnified by leverage". I don't think anyone is claiming that holding this ETF is subjecting you to margin calls (obviously it isn't, it is the point of the product to avoid it, and package the complexity of leveraged investment into a simple to hold ETF). But no margin calls doesn't mean no leverage: there is leverage built into the product to achieve the triple magnitude effect - essentially the issuer is borrowing and/or buying leveraged derivatives on your behalf to achieve the tripling effect, the underlying financial structure is significantly more complex than a basic ETF tracking an indice.

On the chart I posted. It illustrates the effect of beta slippage on leveraged ETFs like QQQS (and shows that effect is even more pronounced for short ETFs than it is for long ETFs). The is a generic concept and nothing to do with specific marked conditions this year. The point is that holding this type of ETF for any prolonged period tends to cost quite a bit of money regardless of what the market does.

Hence why those should only be used for a short period of time an if one has very strong conviction or requires cover. As I said, nothing wrong with using that ETF if you have very strong conviction the Nasdaq will crash in the coming days. But if we are talking weeks or even more so months, then it is a fairly costly and risky instrument to use.

Posters have been implying buying this ETF is buying with leverage , which its not.
    IMO your scaring off newbie investors who can perfectly safely trade these instruments and benefit from trends with yourr talk of huge losses.
    And its a myth to say holding these for months is both risky and costly, the expense ratios can be pretty low and whether its a bear or a bull run then months or even multi-years of a trend in your favour and you will gain.

As I said earlier this week, I thought this market (circa Mar-June) was a once in a lifetime oppurtunity, but IMO here we are again with a good chance of a repeat and Im betting on that. So what ever you did back then that made you money just repeat, which in my instance was buying short ETFs which paid handsomely on the crash , picking up stocks on the dip and then riding the recovery.
    I dont like people telling me what to do, nor am I implying anyone should do what I tell them. Im simply putting out there what I do .

Posters have been implying buying this ETF is buying with leverage , which its not.
    IMO your scaring off newbie investors who can perfectly safely trade these instruments and benefit from trends with yourr talk of huge losses.
    And its a myth to say holding these for months is both risky and costly, the expense ratios can be pretty low and whether its a bear or a bull run then months or even multi-years of a trend in your favour and you will gain.

It *is* buying with leverage, with the complexity of leverage packaged in an ETF as per mentioned in the KIID (you seem to be equating leverage with the concept of margin call, which are 2 different things).

Also you still seem to miss-out on beta slippage. The main cost of holding this ETF isn’t necessarily the expense ratio, it is rather beta slippage and the cost of rolling over derivatives which are separate from the expense ratio. Sticking to the expense ratio as the main cost is like ignoring contango when looking at the cost of owning an oil ETF.

It *is* buying with leverage, with the complexity of leverage packaged in an ETF as per mentioned in the KIID (you seem to be equating leverage with the concept of margin call, which are 2 different things).

Also you still seem to miss-out on beta slippage. The main cost of holding this ETF isn’t necessarily the expense ratio, it is rather beta slippage and the cost of rolling over derivatives which are not account for. Sticking to the expense ration as the main cost is like ignoring Contango when looking at the cost of owning an oil ETF.

QQQS.MI up 7.24% today ... :D ... If you have more charts and opinion let me know
    Some nice healthy green in my portfolio , even on this red day , and daily volume indicates alot of interest
    In fact all my short plays are in the green , bar Euro Banks but thats cos Lagarde will do anything to stay in control .

Some of these high risk (your words not mine) short ETFs made so much money for their investors during the March crash some of them were forceibly redeemed because the swap counterparty had to limit losses

If we get a trend across my short plays in the coming weeks we are off to the races , just like earlier this year.
    Money doesnt just dissapear, if theres people losing money then others are making money, you just need to be on the right side of the fence for the big swings.
    If things dont pan out the way I feel then just like every investment, you do due diligence, you make a decision, you make a play and you deal with the consequences.

Looks like my HTZ is in trouble .. you cant win them all .

• Advertisement

You're daily update on the **** show that is fastly, currently -8.4% today, the CEO gave a guidance downgrade due to an acquisition two days after earnings. Brilliant. My weak hands have another 5% dip them I'm out at a very large loss.

I'd love any ones take on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

I give up. I think Willie says it best...

https://youtu.be/8cALg01khKg?list=RD8cALg01khKg

DutchYurt wrote: »

Are you a trader or an investor?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

DutchYurt wrote: »
    You're daily update on the **** show that is fastly, currently -8.4% today, the CEO gave a guidance downgrade due to an acquisition two days after earnings. Brilliant. My weak hands have another 5% dip them I'm out at a very large loss.

TBH you should have got out around mid-70's...if i'm right you got in low 90's...so that's a huge loss...I would say it'll stabilise around 40's...

haven't been on board PINS...but as it has risen so much in the last couple of weeks wait for correction...probably it'll come down to 40's again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a look at my portfolio there, almost everything red bar Livongo. Checked the news and saw that Livongo converted to Teledoc last night so I now own Teladoc now instead. That's down 9% too. Ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I expect markets will respond favourably to a Biden win. Obama managed a good recovery after the last crisis with Biden at his side. Whatever about Trump being a friend of Wall Street he brings to much undesirable instability

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Apps (digital turbine), beats earnings expections, SP crashes by 16% 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

bfa1509 wrote: »
    A smart move would be to sell everything now before tomorrow's blood-bath of "good news" and pre-election adjustments.

Why oh why didn't I listen to my inner voice yesterday... It was clear as day that this was going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Had a look at my portfolio there, almost everything red bar Livongo. Checked the news and saw that Livongo converted to Teledoc last night so I now own Teladoc now instead. That's down 9% too. Ah well!

My Portfolio is only down 0.7% today, seems that having a broad portfolio is generally a good thing when it comes to a sell off, the two other people I've talked to are down 4-5% today, are people relying too much on one sector?

I still think tech is the place to be and I'm looking at picking up some more of the faang stocks less netflix if we see another bit of a drop. (Only own amzn and goog right now). Also looking for a good entry point to get back on the draft kings train.

Got into IAG this week, a stock i feel is going to pop with a vaccine announcement due in the next month, there's talk of there being 8 vaccines approved by July next year...signs an end might be in sight + the American election should be done in a few weeks as well as talk of mass antigen tests to be fast tracked by the eu and finally eu stimulus as a Christmas present. If you can see 4-6 months ahead I think we'll be in a much better place. Or, maybe im being optimistic, time shall tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Why oh why didn't I listen to my inner voice yesterday... It was clear as day that this was going to happen.

The same reason you will not sell on Monday even though deep down in your consciousnesses you know the blood in the markets have only started to flow.

Advertisement