Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi Bob,
    Would the EUR exchanges be the ones for Total and RDS. I know noob question and any action/ risk is my own, thank you.

I'd suggest to buy Total on the Paris stock exchange (the symbol is FP).

Shell can be bought in London (in GBP) or Amsterdam (in EUR). But make sure you buy class B shares (symbol RDSB either in London or in Amsterdam). Class A shares are paying dividend from the Netherland meaning there is withholding tax applied, while class B shares are paying it from the UK which means no withholding tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

treatyman wrote: »
    Is Shell RDSB.L or RSDB? Why is there 2? Sorry, newbie question.

RDSB is listed both in London and in Amsterdam for historical reasons (Shell being an Anglo-Dutch company).

Both are the exact same shares except one is listed in GBP and the other one in EUR (and the London listing is a bit more liquid). No other difference so you can buy on whichever exchange makes the most sense with your broker (if it makes no difference to you, go for London as it is the most liquid listing).

The key thing to pay attention to is to buy B shares rather than A shares (A and B are both dual-listed in London and Amsterdam). See reason in my above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

have gone long Calnex, half the normal position size I take and it was on the upper limit of Spread and Minimum Market Cap size I will invest in.

Good increase in profit the last 2 years and IPO this year. Will add/Close based on results or Trading Statements.

They have Cash in the bank too. Summary of who they are and what they do below taken from Admission doc

Calnex designs, produces and markets test instrumentation and solutions for network synchronization and network emulation, enabling its customers to validate the performance of the critical infrastructure associated with telecoms networks. To date, Calnex has secured and delivered orders to over 600 customer sites in 68 countries across the world. Customers include BT, China Mobile, NTT, Ericsson, Nokia, Intel, Qualcomm, IBM and Facebook

Calnex benefits from high levels of repeat revenues, with over 80 per cent. of its revenue over the last three years coming from repeat customers and an average length of engagement with its top ten customers in FY20 of nine years. The Company's top ten customers accounted for over 50 per cent. of revenues in FY20. In recent years the Company's top ten customers have included Non-Telecoms customers. In FY20, these Non-Telecoms customers represented 14 per cent. of the top ten customer revenue."

And 5G is beginning its global roll out....

Calnex has a range of test and measurement solutions ready to meet the early requirements of 5G market participants. The Company is well placed to evolve its current products, alongside the introduction of new products, to meet its customers' future requirements as the roll out of 5G progresses.

It could g belly up very quickly though, DYOR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

It's Green day, literally every stock bar few exceptions in Green :)

It seems market is assuming a clean majority to Biden...this rally might last a day or two before covid19 reality hits again....so play carefully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Soo

Shell
    BP,
    Exxon,
    Chevron,
    Total.

Any one that I am missing? And any particular favourite?

Philips 66

OMV in Europe

Altagas

Enbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I reckon today is one of those days to "buy when others are fearful"

.. Think you missed the boat on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

Soo

Shell
    BP,
    Exxon,
    Chevron,
    Total.

Any one that I am missing? And any particular favourite?
    What about BHP(Formally bhp billion).. Its unloved at the moment or one that day traders like is RIO TINTO--sorry commodities but sure don't have all your egs in one basket :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Nice pop on Aptevo Therapeutics today one of my long term holds after they the announced complete remission of a leukaemia patient on their P1 trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭peterofthebr

treatyman wrote: »
    Is Shell RDSB.L or RSDB? Why is there 2? Sorry, newbie question.

https://www.shell.com/investors/share-price-information.html

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

wouldn't touch oil stocks that look like a bargain, you're swimming against a heavy tide. you might do allright in an individual stock (after doing your research) but swimming against big industry trends in energy and transport is in my view very risky

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2020/09/is-exxon-the-next-general-electric/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Futures popping, doesn't always translate, I know. If futures hold current gains then its a day for some profit taking.
    Nice to finally see what looks to be a significant green day for amazon after smashing earnings again in Q3!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ADZAM

ADZAM wrote: »
    Long time lurker, I really enjoy the content, I created this account to comment on this board and share my portfolio and some thoughts.

Lemonade @$55 average
    I bought this as I was intrigued by the Insurance disrupter taking on legacy insurance services with a recurring business model, sexy UI and a tech first approach. I did not sell when I should of when it hit the highs of ~$90 shortly after IPO (mistake). They are Certified B Corporation which "are a new kind of business that balances purpose and profit" (this could be a pro if it's good marketing for socially conscious millennials) but it does worry me as a shareholder that the company needs to balance purpose with Profit - what b*llox. The expansion plans are exciting, you can imagine market cap growing on entry to new Geos, new insurance services (Car, Health, other). I feel I know this stock well having watched it since IPO, I will average down $40-$50 range and NEXT TIME, set stop loss in the $70+ range

Slack @$26 average
    I bought the day of the IPO for $42 and have been averaging down since. It haunts me that I choose Slack over Zoom and watched Zoom moon and Slack went down or sideways. I kept saying Zoom was overvalued at $100, $200, $300, $400 (a lot of FOMO here). Why I stick with Slack is, I feel I know this stock now watching the price action, CEO on CNBC etc and it *could* work out in the end as Slack is very sticky once its rolled out to employees and the pure hope that Slack could get acquired by a legacy tech company (Oracle, IBM) for $40-$50 if not get there themselves in 1-2 years with the headwind of Covid-19.

J&J @$144 average
    They are working on a vaccine, they may not be the first to market but there will be UNLIMITED DEMAND for this vaccine - J&J will get their share of the market, and with the hand sanitizer recalls in schools today, maybe not being first could be a good thing. I will hold J&J as it's a pretty stable stock and dividend payout in December. Pharma plays are very speculative, I've been burned many times. Play safe with them!

Asana @$24 average
    Collaboration software, recent IPO, I think it could be a 2x in 1-2 years, I will average down if it goes <$20

My biggest regret this year is missing out on Zoom, fannying around thinking it was overvalued at $100, $200, $300 and so on. Heartbreaking.

I've been watching ISE stocks, mainly Dalata - I was hoping with the level 5, they would break below €2 and I'd hold in anticipation of a recovery, they bounced around €2.25 this week and have popped a bit - anyone have any thoughts on Dalata Group? How is Ryanair not <€10? Would you put money in either of these in this climate? Buy when there's blood in the streets?

Phew, good to offload. Appreciate any advice, comments, observations.

Eventbrite [EB] - a risky-ish, post covid-19 recovery play
    They are an event ticketing service - Physical events (remember them?) and virtual events
    Eventbrite is one of the most used (loved?) ticketing platforms and integrates with many common systems.
    Cut half their staff in April so should be a leaner machine
    It was $22 in February 2020 precovid19 - earning call tomorrow - I bought in today @$9.46 (Market Cap $860 million)

I'm assuming the next week or so is gonna be pretty volatile but I couldn't resist buying today.

Updates:
    Lemonade - held through some bad days in the $40 range - now in the green
    Asana - added more in the $21 range in the last week or so
    Slack - I sold Slack at $28.50 - someone here said to water flowers and cut the weeds so that's what I did :) - may re-enter in the lower $20's.
    J&J - holding position - nice dividend coming up and expecting more good vaccine news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Took another Amazon share when it dipped below 3k the other day, free money at that price. I might just change my investment plan to buying an Amazon share every month or two from now on.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Taking an absolute bath on my short plays against the S&P , NASDAQ and Euro STOXX . Portfolio is green but cant rationalise whats going on .
    Im both stubborn and old school, going to stick out the short another few weeks. Like all hedges its a safety net, sometimes turns out your didnt need it.

Covid lockdowns worldwiide, election in the balance still no stimulus plan but markets are booming .
    At this point the FED and ECB are supporting a Universal Income policy by their countrys, free money for everyone ,
    We are witnessing the worlds populations being paid to stay at home, but whilst at home most people cant stop spending. Somebody will have to ultimately pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Taking an absolute bath on my short plays against the S&P , NASDAQ and Euro STOXX . Portfolio is green but cant rationalise whats going on .
    Im both stubborn and old school, going to stick out the short another few weeks. Like all hedges its a safety net, sometimes turns out your didnt need it.

Covid lockdowns worldwiide, election in the balance still no stimulus plan but markets are booming .
    At this point the FED and ECB are supporting a Universal Income policy by their countrys, free money for everyone ,
    We are witnessing the worlds populations being paid to stay at home, but whilst at home most people cant stop spending. Somebody will have to ultimately pay for it.

No stimulus now till the end of January in the US...covid will get worse in the USA as it has in Europe over the winter period. 3rd week in Nov is my bet for a correction in the tech stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Thargor wrote: »
    Took another Amazon share when it dipped below 3k the other day, free money at that price. I might just change my investment plan to buying an Amazon share every month or two from now on.

I've a fair bit invested at 3300. I regret being impatient as the recent swings have been easy money to play as you say. <3050 is a very nice swing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

manonboard wrote: »
    I've a fair bit invested at 3300. I regret being impatient as the recent swings have been easy money to play as you say. <3050 is a very nice swing to take.
    Its the share to hold for the next few years in my totally amateur opinion, even with recent gains and a post election dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Thargor wrote: »
    Its the share to hold for the next few years in my totally amateur opinion, even with recent gains and a post election dump.

I would agree, and its why i found it easy enough to incur recent losses. (i invested big in it). I work with their cloud tech, and i think people greatly underestimate what it's going to be come.. Not being in Microsoft cloud or AWS would be a crazy unimaginable decision to make for anything but the utmost sensitive information. I see the vast majority of companies putting thier IT in MS or AWS.. and i can hardly fathom the scale of such an enterprise.

Our rising costs each month in my company are 80k with a 1.2k increase each month. That is just for my department. We are happy to pay it for the incredible level of resources and services we are getting. Once you move into the cloud, which is just madness to not to, you are stuck in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

RIGOLO wrote: »

Euro STOXX is the only one I'd have been hesitant to short, they haven't really run off the lows we had in March, and Biden being elected will clear to route for a Brexit deal which is a major hold on the economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

No stimulus now till the end of January in the US...covid will get worse in the USA as it has in Europe over the winter period. 3rd week in Nov is my bet for a correction in the tech stocks.

It's a pretty sickening system that has a dramatic bounce on the market due to a 'split' election. Democrats highly likely to win the presidency and Republicans highly likely to win the Senate.
    This all means that one side says 'Break up Big Tech' or 'Regulate medical and pharma pricing' and the other side says no. Ironically both sides agree on both strategies to a high extent. But in such a fractious environment the market understands that there will be no common agreements in the foreseeable future. Prescription drugs rose by 10% in 2020. What will they go up by next year with the headwind of Covid?

Bemused by it myself but I'd be happy to buy pharmaceuticals/Bio-Tech. BMS, J&J, Abbvie, Pfizer, MSD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Jesper wrote: »
    It's a pretty sickening system that has a dramatic bounce on the market due to a 'split' election.
    The dramatic bounce was based on the election being over. There had been a lot of down days in the past month as people banked some wins (rumours that Biden will change CGT laws). Nothing big changed this week. People had cash, stocks were selling 10% less than last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Nice pop on Aptevo Therapeutics today one of my long term holds after they the announced complete remission of a leukaemia patient on their P1 trial.

Up 30% Tuesday, and 50% Wednesday. So now nicely in the green on this position. I'm relatively new to investments but have been creating a long term value bio portfolio. I've got a medical background so makes sense to me.

It's a fairly thankless task while you're waiting for news to break. Pre-sales companies are shorted at will and trade with the news. However consequential or inconsequential it might be.

Speaking of news long term Boards pick Verastem's drug duvelisib (which they party sold rights to) is in P1 trial as a combo with Ventoclax, producing curative responses in Imbruvica resistant and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. 7 of 12 patients who have reached 12 months were able to discontinue treatment. Amazing times we live in (even if we won't get rich off Verastem) curing the very worst cancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

3rd week in Nov is my bet for a correction in the tech stocks.

What percentage levels do you estimate for a correction?

Do you include Amazon as a tech stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Kilboor wrote: »
    Entered UpWork at 20.10

Happy with that, I think it will grow steadily over the next year or so

Some nice earnings yesterday. Not as much as growth as I would personally want from them but pre market is responding well. Up 30% :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Saudades wrote: »
    What percentage levels do you estimate for a correction?
    10-15%

Do you include Amazon as a tech stock?

Amazon won’t be as impacted as much as other stocks due to cloud and fact that there is a basis for valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

UpWork up 50% today, I closed out my position but definitely still way more growth there in the long run!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

JFrog Ltd is dropping heavily. Currently 64.80

I bought at $67

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Anyone watching £ABF (Associated British foods). If/when the virus is sorted. Primark will clean up

SP is hobbled now obviously... but could be nice chance to jump in ?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

cronos wrote: »
    JFrog Ltd is dropping heavily. Currently 64.80

I bought at $67

Ive been monitoring that one myself , good product.
    fwiw , of the 3 devops cloud stocks that IPO'd in the same week, JFROG, SNOW , and SUMO , JFROG is the only one that actual comes close to making a profit so obviously Wall St doesnt like it.
    Im tempted to buy in the low 60s.
    The stock price pricing of these 'software stack' companies is a mystery inside a conundrum inside a paradox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Jesus, Tencent is rocking. I'm up 23% in the 2 months since I went in. Planning on holding long term so I should really stop looking.

Advertisement