Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Anyone watching £ABF (Associated British foods). If/when the virus is sorted. Primark will clean up

SP is hobbled now obviously... but could be nice chance to jump in ?

Agree on ABF, was looking at their earnings, they weren't that bad, the near term performance is very much hinged on covid-19 shutdowns as they aren't online, but as they showed when the previous lockdown were lifted peoples baskets were bigger than they were before the lockdown. People also want to get out of their houses when lockdowns are lifted too which bodes well for primark/pennys

Their grocery arm also done well and they are pressing ahead with opening further stores which is a good sign and they've suspended their dividend which I like even as an owner of the stock, I'd rather a company wasn't taking on additional debt just to please shareholders in the short term. Going to hold ABF for 12-24 months and see where it takes me.

Plan on picking up more and averaging down if it drops further. Decent if not brief summary in the below article

https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/share-research/202011/abf-positive-trends-but-uncertainty-means-no-dividend?utm_medium=social-organic&theSource=SOTW&Override=1&fbclid=IwAR2HeQmZYMvkIi8uBhpAiozQLuFgV1REx_-ln0cxuxqskQqj9v_rP0KUz9Y

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Added to a few holdings today - Twilio, Cloudflare and Fastly

Also started a new position in GoodRx. They basically allow Americans to see where they can get their prescriptions cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

sirboby wrote: »
    Interesting day in the market,

I am getting into CDProjekt's stock, CDR for a ~3-6 month play

I think the valuation is high from what I can tell, but that doesn't seem to matter these days.

Share price has dropped 25% from its peek in the start of September, because of repeat delays on Cyberpunk 2077.
    But I don't think that is a very bad thing for this company in particular. It has a great history of good user experience and I think it will boom not bust.

It has a few other things in the pipeline such as a ar Witcher phone game, news of which may temporally pump the share price but I would not want to be holding when it gets released.

Also I don't see the US election affecting this really at all.

Exited 3/4 of my position up 13%

Went up alot in one week so i'd expect it to fall again next week

Will monitor over the next few weeks to see if I should jump back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

I really like"Dunkin' Brands Group" ( DNKN )

But it has had a huge run recently, so waiting for an opportunity to get in.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

sirboby wrote: »
    I really like"Dunkin' Brands Group" ( DNKN )

But it has had a huge run recently, so waiting for an opportunity to get in.

DUNKIN is going private. I think your too late, the 20% jump was due to the buyout price. We all missed the boat on that.
    As long as the donuts and coffee dont change I can live with that , pure rocket fuel heading to work on a cold New England morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 ADZAM

Recent IPO October 28th 2020 - ROOT (available on Degiro since yesterday/today) App based Car insurance provider aka "insuretech", currently trading 11% below IPO price of $27 it could be worth a look.

Nice 5% pop from APT, my N95 mask maker, great earnings report.
    Triple digit yoy growth and they also do PPE and housing insulation product.
    Guidance is good into 2021 with backlog of orders even out to Q2 2021.
    Dont see Covid going anywhere soon, but this stock trades sideways even with the huge demand.
    Just waiting of the day Wall St rerates all these businesses that are well run.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

NNDM finally taking off again after last week's share offering, hopefully it will push back over 4 and towards 5 or 6 soon enough again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

OwlsZat wrote: »

Speaking of news long term Boards pick Verastem's drug duvelisib (which they party sold rights to) is in P1 trial as a combo with Ventoclax, producing curative responses in Imbruvica resistant and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukaemia. 7 of 12 patients who have reached 12 months were able to discontinue treatment. Amazing times we live in (even if we won't get rich off Verastem) curing the very worst cancers.

have been holding VSTM for a while, hopefully this will push up the SP.

McPhy picked up 8% today, to 25. If you want to play the Hydrogen market in Europe this ones for me.
    Completed a new 180million share placement 2 weeks ago , operations in 3 countries , France, Germany and Italy. This industry is about having great engineers and I rate these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    NNDM finally taking off again after last week's share offering, hopefully it will push back over 4 and towards 5 or 6 soon enough again.

Goddamit IG why the hell wouldn't you let me take out a spreadbet on this in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

There is an Irish guy I follow on Twitter who puts up some stock analysis that might be of interest to some on here. Beats having to follow yanks all the time

https://twitter.com/wolfofharcourt/status/1324102833441021952

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

have been holding VSTM for a while, hopefully this will push up the SP.

Same here , in at $3.50 . Think I'll stick it out for a while.
    Good news to hear about those trials though.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Good results for Trade desk again... huge gains in CTV. Mentioned a few times before on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    Sony have been a great performer for me over the last couple of years. I know it won't be anything like it with the PS5, but have a look at the Sony share price in the lead up to to the release of the PS2 in March 2000. The stock was trending nicely in the months prior to Covid.

Sony has been a star for me this year. The question now is when to offload.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    Having a little punt on JKS.

Yum. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

Good results for Trade desk again... huge gains in CTV. Mentioned a few times before on this thread.

Yep fab returns, the stock of the year for me. Makes up for selling my NIO ages ago for pittance compared to what it is now!

Not sure if TTD will hold its after market gains, Q3 results were great but the price is crazy at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

BLUE (Bluebird Bio) looks good at $48.83. Filing delay put a 16.6% dent in the shares today which have traded at $213 back in 2018. Filing delayed to 2022 but big potentially upside in the longer term. These therapies are having a tough time with the FDA but path forward appears clearer for Bluebird Bio than for many others atm.

Seems to be alot of analysts weighting their portfolios to Asia.

Thinking being that US has some instability , isnt handling Covid as well and not as much room for growth. And Asia overall is still seen as an emerging market to some degree, plus the current dollar yuan trade is playing into Asian strength.
    As evident in gains we are seeing in the likes of Tencent , NIO, XPEV ...
    Im getting back into BABA , their cloud business saw alot of growth yoy and ANT will get approval once the CCP decide what their cut will be.
    Granted their cloud business isnt making any money, but thats not neccessary in the cloud buisness, not only is data in the cloud but profits are in the cloud also :D. .. (Im calling it PAAS , PROFITS AS A SERVICE)

Anyways worth taking this into consideration if you have asian or is it asean holdings.

Asian stock tips ... lets be having them .. especially looking at you 'Chinese whospers' .. time to live up to your name buddy . I know I am .

crushproof wrote: »
    Yep fab returns, the stock of the year for me. Makes up for selling my NIO ages ago for pittance compared to what it is now!

Not sure if TTD will hold its after market gains, Q3 results were great but the price is crazy at the moment.
    Yeah same for me, bout at $170 in March, trading over $700 in after hours. It's my biggest position by a good chunk now.

Although it definitely doesn't make up for selling NIO at $3.94 in Feb :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How much more legs has this relief rally got? It seems utterly insane given the COVID situation. I am very wary that once the election winner is declared that attention will go back to the reality on the ground and we could see a rerun of March. I am all in cash right now, too risky to stay in.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    How much more legs has this relief rally got? It seems utterly insane given the COVID situation. I am very wary that once the election winner is declared that attention will go back to the reality on the ground and we could see a rerun of March. I am all in cash right now, too risky to stay in.

I hear you but all in cash, isnt that also a risk in itself.
    If you truly believe a return to March, there are better (albeit some riskier) ways to play that bearish trend market and benefit than just sitting on the sidelines with alot of dry powder.

Everyone has to live within their own comfort level of risk I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Anyone have any insight on Nio as a long term investment?

RIGOLO wrote: »

Thinking being that US has some instability , isnt handling Covid as well and not as much room for growth. And Asia overall is still seen as an emerging market to some degree, plus the current dollar yuan trade is playing into Asian strength.
    Im getting back into BABA , their cloud business saw alot of growth yoy and ANT will get approval once the CCP decide what their cut will be.
    Granted their cloud business isnt making any money, but thats not neccessary in the cloud buisness, not only is data in the cloud but profits are in the cloud also :D. .. (Im calling it PAAS , PROFITS AS A SERVICE)

Anyways worth taking this into consideration if you have asian or is it asean holdings.

Asian stock tips ... lets be having them .. especially looking at you 'Chinese whospers' .. time to live up to your name buddy . I know I am .
    Think a lot are still wary of China after Luckin (and previous Chinese frauds that have been documented), you definitely get Asian companies at a bit of a discount as a result. Sea Ltd is the main one for me. It's south east asia, Gaming, online payments and online marketpalce rolled into one. Beenrun up a lot this year already tho

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Add Meituan dianping to the list (posted it months ago - Its chinas just eat / restaurant booking app). Now is not a good entry though let it cool off for a week or so.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think a lot are still wary of China after Luckin (and previous Chinese frauds that have been documented), you definitely get Asian companies at a bit of a discount as a result. Sea Ltd is the main one for me. It's south east asia, Gaming, online payments and online marketpalce rolled into one. Beenrun up a lot this year already tho

One mans fraud is another mans friend, Im up over 250% in LK , fortunate timing on my part.
    But your point is still 100% valid , who knows whats going on with the Chinese bookeeping .. it all starts in the takeaways, ever notice how many add up your bill on paper, as oppossed to ringing a till.
    SeaLtd in the notebook,

Could be a selloff coming today, my shorts are green as we speak but still double digit down, options day for many, earnings season tapering off and theres some kind of minor global infectious pandemic going on where everyones is being paid to stay at home but that ones not really seen as major concern to market valuations.

I think the banks with large trading desks have all cleared their earnings dates and these desks helped them post good figures even if their loan books went south, the volatility and massive new retail investor community has helped them, but now they may take all the toys away .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

I think the banks with large trading desks have all cleared their earnings dates and these desks helped them post good figures even if their loan books went south, the volatility and massive new retail investor community has helped them, but now they may take all the toys away .

thats the fear. they have made their targets for this year (if they even had any) and will now sit on the sidelines picking off cherries.

But, then theres always the santa claus rally at this time of the year (in a couple of weeks!)....maybe covid won't hit that one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

It seems a lot of us missed NIO ride, either not getting on board or jumping the ship early....I started following it in March/April around 3.50 and said to myself it's up 10-15% in last couple of weeks, i'll wait for a correction and then jump in....but here we're it's in 40's now:mad:...May be if it comes down to mid-20's then i'll look at it....

I agree after Luckin fiasco i'm defo wary about chinese co's...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

It seems a lot of us missed NIO ride, either not getting on board or jumping the ship early....I started following it in March/April around 3.50 and said to myself it's up 10-15% in last couple of weeks, i'll wait for a correction and then jump in....but here we're it's in 40's now:mad:...May be if it comes down to mid-20's then i'll look at it....

I agree after Luckin fiasco i'm defo wary about chinese co's...

Big miss in the short term! It's difficult to value Chinese stocks when you don't understand the market, that's why I stay away.

That said I invested in NIO nearly 2 years back and made 60% so I don't feel too left out :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

From the back of a cornflakes box! Analysts don’t weighed anything and serious fund managers don’t tell you their thinking.

Advertisement