Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Jim2007 wrote: »
    From the back of a cornflakes box! Analysts don’t weighed anything and serious fund managers don’t tell you their thinking.

But they move a stock price more than anything. That morgan stanley Nio $40 call was the catalyst for the massive increase. A lot of their price targets are garbage though especially some of the tesla short calls by 'analysts' so hit and miss I suppose.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

From the back of a cornflakes box! Analysts don’t weighed anything and serious fund managers don’t tell you their thinking.

ahh finally you gave a stock tip.. I assume this is your way of tipping K - The Kellogg Company .
    keep it up.. this is the Stock Picks 2020 thread affter all .. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RIGOLO wrote: »
    ahh finally you gave a stock tip.. I assume this is your way of tipping K - The Kellogg Company .
    keep it up.. this is the Stock Picks 2020 thread affter all .. :D

This thread is the equivalent of an open mic at the local pub - the regular few only too will do embarrass themselves by demonstrating their lack of talent.

Oh it's going up... Oh it's going down... Mick said it will go up... I don't understand.... everything is red, everything is green.... - A summary of the thread so far ;-)

This thread is the equivalent of an open mic at the local pub - the regular few only too will do embarrass themselves by demonstrating their lack of talent.

Oh it's going up... Oh it's going down... Mick said it will go up... I don't understand.... everything is red, everything is green.... - A summary of the thread so far ;-)

and still no tip.. is this a record for the most posts and never actually given a stock tip in this thread.

ahhh so your one of those .. sits on the fence gettting a sore arse lecturing everyone else trying to sound like you know what your talking about but never actually calling a tip yourself.
    Met loads of these types in my life. You probably dont even play the market .

moving right along.. think I will dump some NIO early today contrary to asian weighting and buy back in on a dip later in day or next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I've stopped buying NIO since it went over 37$ but dont think I'm bothered selling just yet, dipped to 39 premarket but back up to 41 now, its still absolutely due some sort of pullback, but the risk if I sell is it just keeps on going lol. If it was still steadily bouncing off its two trendlines that its been following last 6months id considered swing trading it, but it gone well above that now, and who knows how much further it can go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Let's be more like Jim, second guess every investment, and put your cash in a shoebox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

crushproof wrote: »
    Yep fab returns, the stock of the year for me. Makes up for selling my NIO ages ago for pittance compared to what it is now!

Not sure if TTD will hold its after market gains, Q3 results were great but the price is crazy at the moment.

Well how wrong I was, what a beast. Cruising to 800

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

I reopened my trading in May.

I am trying to work out my PnL. The reason was I had cash on to the side and thought I may invest XXXX EUR. However that figure was adjusted (thankfully for the right reasons).

How do I calculate my PnL base don the changes? I have bought shares in different months and then sells. e.g

- Buy 1000 EUR share 1 in June
    - Buy 1000 EUR share 2 in July. (portfolio size is now 2000)
    - Close Share 2 for a loss of 50 in August (Investment size now 1950 due to the loss)
    - Buy 1000 EUR Share 3 in Sept (Invested size now 2050 to include the loss and an extra 50 to make it to 1000)
    - Close Share 1 for a profit of 60 (Portfolio size is now 2100 but only 10 of it is profit).
    - The value of my stock portfolio has probably tripled in the last few months but I never hold more than 5 stocks and usually at equeal weighting.

*** I am excluding TC's above for argument sake and figures are examples not exact.

At the start of next year I have a fixed amount set aside and current PnL will be crystallised so on Jan 1st my total amount able to invest will be fixed and back to 0 PnL. E.g. I have 10k to invest, currently there is 6k in investments and 4k cash to use to buy, so at the end of next year my PnL will be (Account value - 10k)

My Speculative and Crypto have not changed in size since day 1 so they are simple, the above is whats annoying me as I have a bet on with a mate that I could beat the S&P between June and EOY :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

CRSR - they've had decent run last few weeks going from 18 to 28...results are out on Monday, not sure how to play this...will we see it doing a logitech or we'll see a sell-off...I'm inclined to sell them and take the profit now...

@Jim - Man, if you think you know so much and you're brilliant you can share that as other folks do...instead of trying to pick bones of every second post....if not seriously you can sod off

CRSR - they've had decent run last few weeks going from 18 to 28...results are out on Monday, not sure how to play this...will we see it doing a logitech or we'll see a sell-off...I'm inclined to sell them and take the profit now...

FWIW as fas as I can see peripherals are booming
    .. my LOGITECH DEC21 calls were up this week , PLT (Plantronics) another peripherals play are booming, I was a quarter too early to jump on them so missed this fortnights ride. PLT popped considerably on their earnings beat

I have some dry powder going to pick up some CRSR, I know you have tipped them way back but based on LOGI and PLT gaining after earnings beats Im in.

Caveat Emptor : Calling how the market will react to earnings these days is near impossible to guarantee.

• Advertisement

PHG wrote: »
    I reopened my trading in May.

I am trying to work out my PnL. The reason was I had cash on to the side and thought I may invest XXXX EUR. However that figure was adjusted (thankfully for the right reasons).

How do I calculate my PnL base don the changes? I have bought shares in different months and then sells. e.g

- Buy 1000 EUR share 1 in June
    - Buy 1000 EUR share 2 in July. (portfolio size is now 2000)
    - Close Share 2 for a loss of 50 in August (Investment size now 1950 due to the loss)
    - Buy 1000 EUR Share 3 in Sept (Invested size now 2050 to include the loss and an extra 50 to make it to 1000)
    - Close Share 1 for a profit of 60 (Portfolio size is now 2100 but only 10 of it is profit).
    - The value of my stock portfolio has probably tripled in the last few months but I never hold more than 5 stocks and usually at equeal weighting.

*** I am excluding TC's above for argument sake and figures are examples not exact.

At the start of next year I have a fixed amount set aside and current PnL will be crystallised so on Jan 1st my total amount able to invest will be fixed and back to 0 PnL. E.g. I have 10k to invest, currently there is 6k in investments and 4k cash to use to buy, so at the end of next year my PnL will be (Account value - 10k)

My Speculative and Crypto have not changed in size since day 1 so they are simple, the above is whats annoying me as I have a bet on with a mate that I could beat the S&P between June and EOY :P
    A quick rule of thumb for helping simplify calculations, ignore the shares you invest in. It's just how much you put into your account, and how much your account is worth now, that really counts.

Setting up a CAGR calculator is good for keeping track of how you're doing
    https://cagrcalculator.net/cagr-calculation-in-excel/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What's going on with $CRON? Was tipped here some time back and I added to my watchlist. Has jumped in the last couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

FWIW as fas as I can see peripherals are booming
    .. my LOGITECH DEC21 calls were up this week , PLT (Plantronics) another peripherals play are booming, I was a quarter too early to jump on them so missed this fortnights ride. PLT popped considerably on their earnings beat

I have some dry powder going to pick up some CRSR, I know you have tipped them way back but based on LOGI and PLT gaining after earnings beats Im in.

Caveat Emptor : Calling how the market will react to earnings these days is near impossible to guarantee.

Agree it's tough to call post-earnings reaction...i'll hold with a tight SL...:D

I was hoping for a much bigger correction in IT stocks - I have a bit of dry powder too :)

@Kilboor - good call on upwork

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Looks like Biden has it, anyone expecting a dump?

Thargor wrote: »
    Looks like Biden has it, anyone expecting a dump?

Biden having the presidency but not the senate was the perfect result for the markets, there'll be no dump on account of that (or we'd be seeing it today)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Biden having the presidency but not the senate was the perfect result for the markets, there'll be no dump on account of that (or we'd be seeing it today)

Yep the republicans won't let his cgt reforms pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Timmaay wrote: »
    Yep the republicans won't let his cgt reforms pass.

Indeed. While the dems open the floodgate of liquidity even more! (which will be quite a feat).

Shedite27 wrote: »

Yeah this market seems to be indestructible, impervious to balance sheets, pandemics, economic shutdowns, rising unemployment, increasing public and private debt.

But alot can happen between now and the inauguration, Im betting heavily on their being a further twist in the tail that will shine a light on some issues that have been ignored for a while.

Good week all round Id say for everyone we survived an epic election with portfolios intact. Have a great weekend everyone.
    Looking forward to next week already, who knows we may even get a stock tip from this threads biggest hurler on the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I think we did really well this week and the last 2 weeks considering all the events that are happening. My portfolio broke about even the last 3 weeks, which im very pleased with. Scary couple of weeks near the beginning of that period.

I think this bodes really really well for the markets over the next medium term. I'm pretty concerned about the massive unemployment and job losses. I imagine alot of restaurants and small businesses didn't make it through. A consolidation of many sectors is on the cards. That works ok for me financially, as i have some of the larger companies which will likely eat the others up. Though, not favorable for mom and pop!

Ah I know you have beef with Jim because his style of posting is to point out what he finds are other's mistakes. It can be abrupt for our culture to someone to speak as such, however, to me, he has offered some very very sound advice, and clarity many times in this thread. I wouldn't be interested in his stock tips, I find his advice and recognition of silliness in some people's decisions to be worth more. The thread is not short of tips, but definitely could use experienced voices pointing out mistakes and offering caution.

Hope the beef stays silent and everyone just does their thing. It's a good thread, and i hope it stays that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Yeah this market seems to be indestructible, impervious to balance sheets, pandemics, economic shutdowns, rising unemployment, increasing public and private debt.

But alot can happen between now and the inauguration, Im betting heavily on their being a further twist in the tail that will shine a light on some issues that have been ignored for a while.

Good week all round Id say for everyone we survived an epic election with portfolios intact. Have a great weekend everyone.
    Looking forward to next week already, who knows we may even get a stock tip from this threads biggest hurler on the ditch.

Its simple.
    Where can I put my savings and get a return that at minimum fights inflation? Nowhere.

Sure n26 one of the new banks are charging customers negative interest rates if you have over 50,000, I feel this is just the beginning and other banks are inevitably going to follow and probably with lower thresholds in the future.
    Sure the likes of prize bonds won't even fight inflation unless you win big, which is slim

Then for the institutions its much the same, the only place you can get decent returns now are equities, so in the short term equities are safe in my amature opinion. (With the big names)

Anyway, sold Sony this week for a tidy 15% profit, bought redfin. Frustrated I missed out on redfin earlier in the year when someone om here pointed it out, plan is to play this one long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

jams100 wrote: »
    Its simple.
    Where can I put my savings and get a return that at minimum fights inflation? Nowhere.

You can certainly get a return which beats inflation this year.

https://www.cso.ie/en/interactivezone/visualisationtools/cpiinflationcalculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

OwlsZat wrote: »
    Nice pop on Aptevo Therapeutics today one of my long term holds after they the announced complete remission of a leukaemia patient on their P1 trial.

I feel like I alerted a members club. That's it I'm buying my speedboat. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Any chance you could shut up with the endless repetition? Its pure cringe listening to you. Id rather hear his take on things than your repetitive crap, you only showed up in here after getting barred from all the politics forums and Trump threads for your deranged ramblings there anyway, anyone taking investment tips from you would do well to go over your post history first and see what you actually are.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

manonboard wrote: »
    I think we did really well this week and the last 2 weeks considering all the events that are happening. My portfolio broke about even the last 3 weeks, which im very pleased with. Scary couple of weeks near the beginning of that period.

Breaking even means you're loosing. You need to track your progress against a valid benchmark. And most often that should be a composite.

Ah I know you have beef with Jim because his style of posting is to point out what he finds are other's mistakes.

I post in the hope the people stumbling upon this gobbledygook will not mistake it for investing.

Ah I know you have beef with Jim because his style of posting is to point out what he finds are other's mistakes. It can be abrupt for our culture to someone to speak as such...
    Breaking even means you're loosing. You need to track your progress against a valid benchmark. And most often that should be a composite.

He'll appreciate this so.

There are two posters on here that have a very high opinion of themselves, and are likely to clash. Their tone is wrong in my opinion, but some wisdom can shine through, but I mostly skim read their posts. That way you get the best, life's too short.

This is a good thread to pick up stocks to START DD on. A lot of stocks have come good. Is it any better than a monkey throwing a dart... who knows. DYOR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Personally I've no issue with Jim's posting - uncompromising as it may be. Talks a lot of sense and worth taking on board. I've pared down my holdings and looking for bigger holdings for longer and am in no rush to buy, happy to read up and track shares for months until getting in if I do.

For the record I can recall two tips one of which was a sector being title insurance in the US - up about 25% since it was mentioned.
    The other was Nestle which is flat since. Given Jim's investing strategy of picking few and sticking with them long term it's hardly surprising he isn't throwing out tips every few days of an IPO or a biotech with a good pipeline.

Don't normally do thsi but wanted to dig into what felt like a good week. This is the WEEKLY gain of my 26 stocks :eek:

APPS +48%
    LMND +46%
    TTD +45%
    SQ +28%
    NET +24%
    SE +18%
    STNE +18%
    WIX +16%
    FSLY +16%
    SPOT +15%
    DOCU +15%
    CRWD +14%
    NVTA +14%
    PTON +14%
    SHOP +13%
    OKTA +11%
    VEEV +11%
    DDOG +11%
    PINS +10%
    AMZN +9%
    PYPL +9%
    RDFN +8%
    NOW +8%
    SNOW +6%
    TDOC +5%
    TWLO +5%
    GDRX +4%

Total of +15% gain for the week. Can we have another election next week please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

What's going on with $CRON? Was tipped here some time back and I added to my watchlist. Has jumped in the last couple of days

All the green are going into the green. Supposedly pro-legalisation moves in the States on the back of Biden win.

Pity... After 3 years of holding $9 Canopy I'd had enough and dumped at $24 just last week, now it's at $30.
    Still though I forgot about Aphria as I was waiting for a break even around $7 ... Seems they've bought a really good beverage brand in the US which has now been granted a spirit licence (they're all trying to get in on the liquor these days) , so I think I'll hold.

That was some 3 year rollercoaster, seems like things have stabilised now with a US reboot, have a few cannabio pharma stocks which are trash so maybe they'll get some wonder drug out of one at least.

I'd say canopy will drop around 20 again so might come back to it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Biden wins, it'll be interesting to see futures tomorrow night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MikeSoys

So with Biden.. he's going to tackle covid, if he starts lockdowns that will impact markets? but he will need to have the funds in place possibly before starting to lockdown regions..mind you now that Trump is out we might not hear as much about covid problems in USA :-)

Advertisement