Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

MikeSoys wrote: »
    So with Biden.. he's going to tackle covid, if he starts lockdowns that will impact markets? but he will need to have the funds in place possibly before starting to lockdown regions..mind you now that Trump is out we might not hear as much about covid problems in USA :-)

Remember nothings changing before Jan.

Also, the narrative will change with relation to Covid, but I’m not sure actions will change that much (simply because a lot of the decision making seems to happen at a state or at a city level, for exemple I am not sure the federal government could easily impose an countrywide lockdown even if it wanted to, and even if he had wanted to Trump couldn’t really have prevented the lockdown in New-York).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Bob24 wrote: »
    Remember nothings changing before Jan.

Also, the narrative will change with relation to Covid, but I’m not sure actions will change that much

I think you are right about this. One thing that strikes me is that covid has run rampant through thier society for so long that its impossible to put back in the bottle imo.

I think a narrative change like ignoring case numbers n only focusing on deaths might be successful. Roll out the vaccines to the vulnerable. Show the deaths declining and claim a change in direction. January gets him more time for a vaccine or two aswell. If people stop dying, economy doesn't need to fear so much.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Lots of permutations to what Biden will do, what he can do and how the markets react.
    As they say for any regime change , The King is Dead, Long live the King.

Now that the eulogy is out of the way , lets make some more more money with our investments.

WTF happened with cannabis stocks, we missed a trick there.
    I say 'we' because 99% here are sharing tips and helping out, (1% are just a pain in the arse) . I saw a post this weekend where someone said their portfolio just broke even.. thats a poor reflection on this thread if someone who contributes to the thread hasnt made gains in this market in this year, 2 year, 4 year , 10 year cycle. Theres a collective responsibility to help eachothers portfolios , at least thats how I see it ( I know 1% think why would they waste their time on research and give the tip to strangers) .

Anyways the post election cannabis pop was a gift we should have spotted.
    Cannabis legislation was on the ballot in 5 states and all passed it. Thats why they all popped post-election 15-40%.
    Did anyone get on it ? Perhaps you did and apologies if you tipped it here.
    Tuesday night I pulled an all nighter for the count, sometime in the wee hours I was looking at stocks and saw some talk on the potential for cannabis stocks, I made a note in the phone to get on it in the am but in the fog of the next few days I never got back to it. Missed an easy peasy gain.

Anyways not to worry another oppurtunity will be along, lets make sure we dont miss it.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Don't normally do thsi but wanted to dig into what felt like a good week. This is the WEEKLY gain of my 26 stocks :eek:

APPS +48%
    LMND +46%
    TTD +45%
    SQ +28%
    NET +24%
    SE +18%
    STNE +18%
    WIX +16%
    FSLY +16%
    SPOT +15%
    DOCU +15%
    CRWD +14%
    NVTA +14%
    PTON +14%
    SHOP +13%
    OKTA +11%
    VEEV +11%
    DDOG +11%
    PINS +10%
    AMZN +9%
    PYPL +9%
    RDFN +8%
    NOW +8%
    SNOW +6%
    TDOC +5%
    TWLO +5%
    GDRX +4%

Total of +15% gain for the week. Can we have another election next week please :D

Shedite27 ... your full of gobbleydygook ROFL .....
    Jim2007 wrote: »
    I post in the hope the people stumbling upon this gobbledygook will not mistake it for investing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

TPI composites seems a good longer term play now that Biden has won. They are outsourced manufacturers of wind farm impeller blades & have strong contracts with most of the major players. Jumped 10% on the news, wish I got in last week but I wasn't sure about who'd come out on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Personally I've no issue with Jim's posting - uncompromising as it may be. Talks a lot of sense and worth taking on board. I've pared down my holdings and looking for bigger holdings for longer and am in no rush to buy, happy to read up and track shares for months until getting in if I do.

For the record I can recall two tips one of which was a sector being title insurance in the US - up about 25% since it was mentioned.
    The other was Nestle which is flat since. Given Jim's investing strategy of picking few and sticking with them long term it's hardly surprising he isn't throwing out tips every few days of an IPO or a biotech with a good pipeline.

You have to question Jim's long term strategy in this market environment. I've seen some of my holdings go up 200% in a year. My most bullish long term target has been hit on ZM so I sold. Was planning to hold 5 - 10 years. It's all and good have a plan but you can't ignore what the market is giving you. I wouldn't critizice anyone swing trading although trying to justify a HTZ investment is pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

You have to question Jim's long term strategy in this market environment. I've seen some of my holdings go up 200% in a year. My most bullish long term target has been hit on ZM so I sold. Was planning to hold 5 - 10 years. It's all and good have a plan but you can't ignore what the market is giving you. I wouldn't critizice anyone swing trading although trying to justify a HTZ investment is pushing it.

AFAIK Jim is retired so his money is made.
    He's essentially advising people to look beyond the bluster and headlines when choosing your buys. When NIO had fallen to $2 he was asking the question why if it wasn't a buy at $5/6 why was it a buy at $2? It's a fair and rational question and the fact that it's $40 odd now doesn't make it less so.

. When NIO had fallen to $2 he was asking the question why if it wasn't a buy at $5/6 why was it a buy at $2? It's a fair and rational question and the fact that it's $40 odd now doesn't make it less so.

The converse is true too (I don't recall the original discussion) if it was a buy at $5/6 it's an even better buy at $2.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

AFAIK Jim is retired so his money is made.
    He's essentially advising people to look beyond the bluster and headlines when choosing your buys. When NIO had fallen to $2 he was asking the question why if it wasn't a buy at $5/6 why was it a buy at $2? It's a fair and rational question and the fact that it's $40 odd now doesn't make it less so.

That's the problem, this isn't a rational market. I see no fundamental reason for some of these valuations. If you are a long term holder you are potentially missing out on locking in huge gains.

Some swing traders are killing it right now cause they understand what drives momentum. These factors might change in a few months/years and then the swing traders will disappear. Same happened in 2000.

Bottomline is you can make money in the markets long or short term. We all know that investing LT gives you a much better edge but that's meaningless if you don't have targets in place. I learnt the hard after buying CSCO back in 2000. So much can happen now in a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The converse is true too (I don't recall the original discussion) if it was a buy at $5/6 it's an even better buy at $2.

NIO had a serious cashflow issue back in march, with a crash in sales due to Corona, salaries had to be pushed back etc. That was why I sold my 1700 share stake at the time for 3.50 breakeven, I could kick myself and say I missed out on like a 10x 60k gain, but simple fact my 6k investment at the time was at risk so no regrets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Timmaay wrote: »
    NIO had a serious cashflow issue back in march, with a crash in sales due to Corona, salaries had to be pushed back etc. That was why I sold my 1700 share stake at the time for 3.50 breakeven, I could kick myself and say I missed out on like a 10x 60k gain, but simple fact my 6k investment at the time was at risk so no regrets.

I guess the question remains if it's a buy now?

cronos wrote: »
    I guess the question remains if it's a buy now?

I think right now its hitting the fomo stage, so basically logic is going out the window, it could easily do a Tesla and continue straight up to 50/100$+, but the more parabolic it goes the higher a risk of a serious pullback. So invest accordingly, assume more volatility moving forward, personally I'm largely happy to hold my position but will be slow to invest further yet unless I manage to get in just ahead of a clear cataylst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Futures open in a few hours, I will be looking at them with much interest

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

Guys....what you think of gold?

Countries are printing money and gold may be a hedge.

Polymetal making a fortune at present and great dividend.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Talking of NIO doing my returns for CGT i have a loss realised on Boeing and unrealised profits on NIO to off set my CGT should i sell them and buy back in the same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Talking of NIO doing my returns for CGT i have a loss realised on Boeing and unrealised profits on NIO to off set my CGT should i sell them and buy back in the same day.

If you harvest a CGT loss you can't rebuy the same holding straight away. No issue with realising a gain and rebuying straight away to offset against your CGT allowance though

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Browney7 wrote: »
    If you harvest a CGT loss you can't rebuy the same holding straight away. No issue with realising a gain and rebuying straight away to offset against your CGT allowance though

Great thanks for that one more question could I re purchase after 30 days the shares i took a loss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Great thanks for that one more question could I re purchase after 30 days the shares i took a loss

You can repurchase the same day if you like if you take a loss but not if you use that loss to offset other gains. If you're using the loss to reduce your CCT liability then wait 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Pelezico wrote: »

I went long gold earlier this year after being long silver 10 years, let's see how it plays out

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Pelezico

I went long gold earlier this year after being long silver 10 years, let's see how it plays out

One more I like is Fresnillo.

• Advertisement

Pelezico wrote: »

WPM (50.53) who report after hours Monday are an interesting play on Gold, Silver and Palladium if you prefer mineral streaming to online streaming . They do mining partnerships , pre buy mineral deposits and then move them on. Their last quarterly report had guidance based on Gold sub 1600, Silver sub 17 and Palladium sub 1900... each of those is currently riding much higher

Jim will be along to let us all know if this is investing or goobledygook.. meanwhile close to 3 million shares will change hands in this stock on Monday by traders, investors, brokers and market makers .

RIGOLO wrote: »
    WPM (50.53) who report after hours Monday are an interesting play on Gold, Silver and Palladium if you prefer mineral streaming to online streaming . They do mining partnerships , pre buy mineral deposits and then move them on. Their last quarterly report had guidance based on Gold sub 1600, Silver sub 17 and Palladium sub 1900... each of those is currently riding much higher

Jim will be along to let us all know if this is investing or goobledygook.. meanwhile close to 3 million shares will change hands in this stock on Monday by traders, investors, brokers and market makers .

STOP! You're only posting now as a pretence to shoehorn in a dig. It's like watching mum and dad Grandad and Grandad fighting.

STOP! You're only posting now as a pretence to shoehorn in a dig. It's like watching mum and dad Grandad and Grandad fighting.

Dude this Jim bloke is a pure hurler on the ditch, Ive seen a million of them in my time, couldnt run a business or turn a market trade if their lives depended on it.

so far he hasnt tipped ANY shares in this thread . ANY ... NOT A SINGLE ONE I CAN FIND ..

We are in the mdist of the greatest BULL run in history and they dude cant pick a winner, or even attempt to.

A once in a lifetime pandemic event and the VIX volatility index hasnt gone below 20 in 10 months and theres not a peep out of him about actually picking a stock to buy into, other than pontificating and trying to sound smart with his after-timing and robbing other posters speak ..

his contributions so far range thru
    This thread is the equivalent of an open mic at the local pub -
    I post in the hope the people stumbling upon this gobbledygook will not mistake it for investing.
    From the back of a cornflakes box! .....

The dude is a classic left hand side of the graph , I was going to say trader but given he dont trade, I cant say that, so lets call him just a left hand side of the graph poster.

All he can do is talk about the left hand side of the graph which is the past...
    how about he put up his CREDIBILITY on the line and say what the right hand side of the graph , the future will do, after all thats where the money is to be made predicting the right hand side .

Any fool can say what happened in the past.

I dont see that happening, years of experience running into 'second guessers' like him have thought me hurlers on the ditch never get off the ditch , they just blather on whilst everyone else is out on the field playing the game .

Anyways back to trading, too much money to be made in this market,
    Jim will be along to tell everyone they arent investors, meanwhile $6 trillion dollars will exchange hands today , people can make a choice to get into the game or they can join Jim on the sidelines and shout for no team whilst the game ebbs back and forth.

I assume you are aware that if buy back the NIO that your cost basis for CGT calculations for these shares will not have changed. It will still be the original purchase price pre the sale and rebuy.

If you were to wait 30 days and risked that NIO didnt move significantly and then bought back in , your cost basis would reflect that price and would be used for next years cgt loss/gain caluclations.

I posted earlier about ways (with element of risk) to get around this bed and breakfasting shares at this time of the tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Anyone familiar with DeGiro know when the annual report is sent out? I assume it's at the start of December before the deadline :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Kilboor wrote: »
    Anyone familiar with DeGiro know when the annual report is sent out? I assume it's at the start of December before the deadline :D

Real noob here and glad to help for a change.

You will receive two annual reports per year. The first report will be released in December of the current year and will be for the period from 1 January up to and including 30 November. The second report will be released in January of the following year and will be for the period from 1 January up to
    and including 31 December.

MAJJ wrote: »
    Real noob here and glad to help for a change.

You will receive two annual reports per year. The first report will be released in December of the current year and will be for the period from 1 January up to and including 30 November. The second report will be released in January of the following year and will be for the period from 1 January up to
    and including 31 December.

Thanks yes I read this on the report but hoping that report is sent before tax due date :D Been using Degiro for 4 years but never sold anything until this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Nice bump for Nextera Energy (NYSE: NEE) in premarket (+7%). When a stock loses I regret investing in it. When a stock wins I regret not investing more. So much regret... :(

It will be a good few years for renewables. I hope people got in nice and early.

Still holding GameStop. Console releases this week

• Advertisement

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I assume you are aware that if buy back the NIO that your cost basis for CGT calculations for these shares will not have changed. It will still be the original purchase price pre the sale and rebuy.

If you were to wait 30 days and risked that NIO didnt move significantly and then bought back in , your cost basis would reflect that price and would be used for next years cgt loss/gain caluclations.

I posted earlier about ways (with element of risk) to get around this bed and breakfasting shares at this time of the tax year.

Does the degiro annual tax report have that 30day wait built into it? All it shows is the sum of gains and losses

Advertisement