Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

CANNABIS stocks are on the up pre-market following on from last weeks moves.
    Still pissed I spotted the potential last week and never pulled the trigger.
    HEXO, WEED, ACB, CGC, CRON, APHA, TLRY
    ACB and CGC reporting today, if they report good and give good guidance then the others will also pick up more green.
    TLRY is very much for medicinal use.
    Theres a short squeeze componet to some of the rise, all of them were off 52 wk highs but some are revisitng them.
    Warning thought they all crashed for a reason htis year, the raw numbers werent as good as expected, openeing outlets, users and also hit by the black market trade

There medium term movement based on the legislation approved last week in 5 states, and there are long term plays if FEDERAL approval is put in place for medicinal use.

Im going to watch the early morning charts , with a view to swing trading a couple of these for the next few days .

fwiw I dont like their products but this is the 'pit' who gives a crap, I dont wear womens dresses but that doesnt stop me investing in RVLV

Looks like a green start for everyone, Lets go slay some dragons today .
    Alot of traders who hedged pre-election are moving their money back into the market to catch the 'blue' wind .

Speaking of EVs, the Toyota CEO , Toyoda had a great writeup on TSLA, very well put together metaphor, Im not sure the market cares that much but he has a point.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/toyota-president-tesla-valuation-doesnt-reflect-real-world-business.html
    “I am hesitant to say this — Tesla’s business, if you want to use the analogy, is like that of a kitchen and a chef,” Toyoda said.“They have not created a real business in the real world yet. They are trying to trade recipes. The chef is saying ‘Our recipe is going to become the standard of the world in the future!’ At Toyota, we have a real kitchen and a real chef too, and are creating the dishes already. There are customers, who are very picky about what they like to eat, sitting in front of us, and eating our dishes already.”

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Anyways back to trading, too much money to be made in this market,
    Jim will be along to tell everyone they arent investors, meanwhile $6 trillion dollars will exchange hands today , people can make a choice to get into the game or they can join Jim on the sidelines and shout for no team whilst the game ebbs back and forth.

People don’t have to get into your game to make money and they don’t have to take the ridiculous risks you take nor rely on the talking heads for tips. If trading was such a sure way of making money then why don’t all the vendors of tools, training and news sheets just trade? Why don’t financial institutions just trade on their own account?

You can’t predict with any accuracy what will happen to a share price over 12 months, but you can find stock that are fairly predictable over the long term. So why deliberately stack the odds against yourself?

For most people investing is a serious business, it’s going to impact their financial well being for the long haul. And I’d hate for any of them to mistake this thread for something serious. I’m just flagging nonsense for their sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Kilboor wrote: »
    Still holding GameStop. Console releases this week

Hope you plan on selling this week, I see it jumping with the hype of console releases, but I personally would not want to be holding when the quarterly results come out.

I think with the non-disc versions of the consoles it could really kill there already diminishing foot-traffic and also with covid, GameStop is having to compete with Amazon.

There will be good sales pre-Christmas just purely because of how hard it will be to get a console for a while, but it can't be sustained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Anyone following Rolls Royce...it's jumped nearly 25% in the last few mins...Don't see any breaking news to warrant that sort of jump....

Apparently +news on vaccine from pfizer...all markets in a hyper jump now

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Rolls Royce aviation arm/engine as a result of vaccine Headlines. RR has a long way further to go to be flat.

• Advertisement

Anyone following Rolls Royce...it's jumped nearly 25% in the last few mins...Don't see any breaking news to warrant that sort of jump....

recently it seems that rolls royce could go up or down 30% a few times a week

Easyjet up 32% , Ryanair 16%.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

RIGOLO wrote: »
    I assume you are aware that if buy back the NIO that your cost basis for CGT calculations for these shares will not have changed. It will still be the original purchase price pre the sale and rebuy.

If you were to wait 30 days and risked that NIO didnt move significantly and then bought back in , your cost basis would reflect that price and would be used for next years cgt loss/gain caluclations.

I posted earlier about ways (with element of risk) to get around this bed and breakfasting shares at this time of the tax year.

Thanks Rigolo wasn't aware of that market gone crazy with vaccine news this morning so need to re think.. Thanks

So is it time to start selling things?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Apparently +news on vaccine from pfizer...all markets in a hyper jump now

Airbus +18% also! I'm happily selling rest of my shares finally at a profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

My news feed has been pretty busy with talk of a vaccine. I'd imagine that will throw up a lot of greens today/this week.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54873105
    BBC - Covid vaccine: First vaccine offers 90% protection

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Vaccine announced.

Anyone owning Airlines, Hotels, Cruises - this will be a good day

sirboby wrote: »

I don't think so, and I won't to anyway!
    feels like a pivotal headline.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Vaccine announced.

Anyone owning Airlines, Hotels, Cruises - this will be a good day

Your tech heavy portfolio might take a bit of a bashing? Certainly won't be realising the gains today

Wonder what this means for tech now, its at best a stable sector for the foreseeable, don't see it crashing either, the way we do things have changed for the long term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

sirboby wrote: »

if you're in Green by good percentage I would sell...I don't think this Euphoric rally will last long...and may be time to adjust your portfolio now...look at stocks which will benefit with the vaccine especially travel and tourism

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I expect Zoom to fall somewhat today now at least for the short term while the vaccine hype exists. Then the realisation that its 12/18 months away from mass vaccinations should see it recover as it's service is still going to be needed for the medium term.

I reckon it's overvalued though now and may not represent good value. Would it be on to short?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hostelworld still looking very undervalued even with the 10% jump today. Cruiseliners gone through the roof as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jams100 wrote: »
    Your tech heavy portfolio might take a bit of a bashing? Certainly won't be realising the gains today

Wonder what this means for tech now, its at best a stable sector for the foreseeable, don't see it crashing either, the way we do things have changed for the long term
    Think I deserved it after that post Friday :o

Tech will fall a bit for sure, if nothing else people will want to move money to the recovery stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

CORONAVIRUS VACCINE: ZOOM SHARE PRICE PLUNGES AFTER NEWS ON PFIZER JAB
    https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/coronavirus-vaccine-zoom-share-price-b1719628.html

Tech stocks going to be hit hard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Can help wondering if Pfizer stalled on releasing this news so Trump wouldn't get a boost pre election...

• Advertisement

if you're in Green by good percentage I would sell...I don't think this Euphoric rally will last long...and may be time to adjust your portfolio now...look at stocks which will benefit with the vaccine especially travel and tourism

Sold some strong winners, Very happy about that as they all seem to have dropped at least partly since I sold.

I bought more 4D Pharma on the 10% drop, I don't think its value came from covid, it's in the green since my purchase and seems to be recovering back to ~125

4D also have many results coming out in the next 2ish weeks so that could cause another bump for me to sell the excess i picked up today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

I expect Zoom to fall somewhat today now at least for the short term while the vaccine hype exists. Then the realisation that its 12/18 months away from mass vaccinations should see it recover as it's service is still going to be needed for the medium term.

I reckon it's overvalued though now and may not represent good value. Would it be on to short?

I was thinking this this morning, very tempted to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ADZAM

ADZAM wrote: »
    Eventbrite [EB] - a risky-ish, post covid-19 recovery play
    They are an event ticketing service - Physical events (remember them?) and virtual events
    Eventbrite is one of the most used (loved?) ticketing platforms and integrates with many common systems.
    Cut half their staff in April so should be a leaner machine
    It was $22 in February 2020 precovid19 - earning call tomorrow - I bought in today @$9.46 (Market Cap $860 million)

I'm assuming the next week or so is gonna be pretty volatile but I couldn't resist buying today.

Updates:
    Lemonade - held through some bad days in the $40 range - now in the green
    Asana - added more in the $21 range in the last week or so
    Slack - I sold Slack at $28.50 - someone here said to water flowers and cut the weeds so that's what I did :) - may re-enter in the lower $20's.
    J&J - holding position - nice dividend coming up and expecting more good vaccine news

Eventbrite (+26.38%) - I knew there would be a post covid-19 world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Pfizer a good buy do ye think?

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    Pfizer a good buy do ye think?

Well, will gap up >15% at open.. prob still some room to run from there but IMO you'd be better off getting into travel stocks, airlines, aercap, Rolls Royce if you want to take a post-covid stance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macerich may also be a good retail property play, up nearly 20% pre open, but at that its still around a quarter of its pre covid value.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Just realised that the total profit or loss figure on degiro seems to be wrong.

When I add up my deposits - withdrawals and take that away from the balance shown on my degiro account I appear to have nearly twice the profit than the Total +/- suggests

Is this the same for other people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

I have a decent bit in cruise lines. The question is do I sell today expecting a dip and then buy it back. Or do o just hang on for even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I don't mean to get policial here, but poor Trump, only by afew days did he miss being in the limelight for the great covid solution, and also missed out on the Dow finally hitting all time highs and over 30k post the Corona crash lol.

• Advertisement

codrulz wrote: »
    Well, will gap up >15% at open.. prob still some room to run from there but IMO you'd be better off getting into travel stocks, airlines, aercap, Rolls Royce if you want to take a post-covid stance

The obvious ones have all gone up ........... RR up 45% by 1pm.
    The market has reacted.

Advertisement