Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

Any opinions on GEVO looks like it could be ready for a jump?

TDOC OTRK AMWL anyone think all these are oversold? Have made a nice bit selling and re-buying but now I looks like I am potentially holding here.

CLOUDMD SOFTWARE+SERVICES 6PH.F was looking at .90 cents forgot about it checked again and it was 2€ - any opinions, also any benefit or otherwise to buying it off the TSX (doc)

Was holding norwegian since june at 20$ got out today at 23$ and was happy to do so it was a rash purchase on a new Degiro account.

Am looking to off-load carnival also.

Also Shell am currently -17% on it even after the recent gains

And finally citigroup was up 15% at one stage got greedy and waited was suddenly down 20% - currently -8%, a few weeks ago prognosis have the fundamentals changed that much since then? Better to cash out or?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

A bit of a stupid question, but if you don’t subscribe to a rights issue, and your rights get sold, do you get the money?

For instance I was entitled to RR rights, but I didn’t opt for it. It had allowed me to buy 130 stocks for a total of 47€. Do I get the 47€ if I reject it?

I don't know whats going on with RR, I opted for the rights, and I thought my order was executed last week, but the rights and the new shares puchased have disappeared, but I don't appear to have been refunded for what I bought either. I see an email from Degiro on technical issues as well, hopefully its related to that.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Treppen wrote: »
    Novacyt for the long haul it is then!
    Certainly took a beating. I said in an earlier post that was one of the risks, a vaccine, as did NUMIS their broker in one of their note's.
    I took alot off the table as I watched it fall, but it was all significant gains as is.
    And then on the drop I bought back in . I still think we will need testing going forward.
    The vaccine wont hit the streets for another 3 months if not longer, so still plenty of testing to be done.
    What can you say, no one can go to a cinema or go on an actual cruise but they all jumped double digits, whereas everyone in the world needs a regular covid test asap and diagnostics dropped.

If one was cynical enough you'd almost think it was planned, 3 business days after election we get very positive vaccine news, then multiple trading platform crash , pi's stop losses are taken out and retail investors cant buy into the pop.
    I wonder where the bottleneck for the platforms that crashed was, was it in their cloud infrastructure.

Anyways plenty earnings to come this week, it will be interesting to see how the market reacts. Looking forward to PLTR, DOYU, HYLN, GEVO, LAC, CRSR among others.
    A day for the ages, this is why I love this game, brutalism par excellence.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Augeo wrote: »
    Your point?
    There's still value there as it's 60% off previous highs?

I'll leave you to check today's high and decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Even if the Vaccine is out, one would still need to be tested... I'm looking to open a position in OPK health.

Today is not the time to pick recovery stocks when they're up 20-30%. Since Vaccine is not that far definitely keep an eye on them but wait for this Euphoria to die...

Just read they're planning for EU wide lock-down

http://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53737420

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Got a few cruise lines and airlines recently and just took profit there. There's been many drugs and cures (e.g. remdesivir) that haven't delivered. Plus I still don't think people and governments are ready to give business back to these companies yet. Furthermore Im hearing about new stimulus measures being lame if anything at all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Even if the Vaccine is out, one would still need to be tested... I'm looking to open a position in OPK health.

Today is not the time to pick recovery stocks when they're up 20-30%. Since Vaccine is not that far definitely keep an eye on them but wait for this Euphoria to die...

Just read they're planning for EU wide lock-down

http://www.breakingthenews.net/news/details/53737420

Today feels very alike that random day back in June when Europe thought it was opening fully back open, I remember well buying Airbus and IAG on that day half expecting a full V recovery, and that didn't end well for me at all ha.

And yep Novacyt, for better or worse I'm happy that I don't have a hard stoploss set on it (I'm only swing trading it), maybe I will need to accept a loss on it but today was not the day to sell, I'll let it hopefully get back towards 9stg before deciding what to do.

codrulz wrote: »
    I'll leave you to check today's high and decide for yourself.

Today's high?
    Why not today close?

RR was heading downwards long before covid came along.

I'd like to think most folk realise that preCovid prices may or may not be seen again... Past performance etc etc. Investing basics ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Netflix down a decent amount today cause of the Vaccine news I assume. Would hardly think that is actually relevant to Netflix so might put more in on it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

Augeo wrote: »
    Today's high?
    Why not today close?

RR was heading downwards long before covid came along.

I'd like to think most folk realise that preCovid prices may or may not be seen again... Past performance etc etc. Investing basics ;)

Because the close doesn't matter, the volatility does, you basically called the top for RR as it had rallied 45%... within an hour, RR was ~100% up on the day.

You were wrong today, move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone any thoughts on TWILO ?

Seems to be a decent company well run, some good acquisitions - seems to have taken a hammering today, buy op ?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Edesa and Fastly on a poor ending today.

Really hoping they have some upward trend soon!

I sold the last of my cannabis shares the day before they soared like 100% too. Funny that, still wouldn't go near them!

I'm going to keep an IAG for a while and might dip my toe in again once everything has settled down a bit. This vaccine news is a total overreaction, that was a corporate press release and the findings haven't been verified by an independent body. Then again nothing makes sense any more so that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Hi,

I'm new to buying stock and have a n00b question. I bought Palantir ( PLTR ) a few weeks ago at $9 a share.

It's up over 50% as of today. Good time to sell ? Any opinions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭crushproof

I know many of you bought ill fated hares in TAW/A40 and suffered the highs and ultimately the lows.
    This garbage is still appearing on my DeGiro portfolio and depresses me everyday. The stock was delisted ages ago so does anyone know how long it takes for Degiro to remove delisted non existent stocks?

codrulz wrote: »
    Because the close doesn't matter, the volatility does, you basically called the top for RR as it had rallied 45%... within an hour, RR was ~100% up on the day.

You were wrong today, move on.
    I didn't call the top.... I stated a fact...... Now make your point.... You still havent made a point.
    You sold at the top did you knowing it was the top.... Yeah.

I was wrong? How so.... I'm an investor not a wannabe day trader talking rubbish :)

Now, rr what's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Saganist wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm new to buying stock and have a n00b question. I bought Palantir ( PLTR ) a few weeks ago at $9 a share.

Not following it, check when their Quarterly results will be out, most of the stocks have been increasing upto the earnings date and then a sell off.

As an investor for the long term I'm happy that I held my nerve over the last 8 to 9 months, didn't panic, sell any stocks just kept buying every few weeks in to the shares I felt had intrinsic worth.
    I certainly wouldn't have been able to time the announcement of the vaccine to buy back in.
    This is an expression of relief, not self-satisfaction because I don't like share-dealing as an amateur and would be investing in something more secure if there was any reasonable somewhat liquid option out there.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Saganist wrote: »
    Hi,

Well done.

I often spend a Sunday reviewing the upcoming earnings, normally I look a month out, but last Sunday I happened to look at this upcoming week.
    PLTR jumped out for me.
    PLTR report Wed. Its their first earnings report since their direct listing. They did not go the IPO route. Its Peter Thiel backed , very succesfull venture capitalist. Has government and military contracts
    Im expecting it to do well and I have bought in.
    But is it too close to yesterdays sesimic shock ?
    Timing may be wrong even with a positive readout.

SCHW doing well, I still see it as one of my safe storage place, with room for more upside as the Ameritrade merger gets closer.

As the US weakens Asia strengtens, reports that 40 million first time internet users have been added in Asia this quarter. Maybe DOYU+HUYA will reflect this in their earnigns this week.

LAC might be oversold since yesterday with earnings today also .

Brookfield BAM doing great, thanks to the poster who led me to them . A great multi-sector conglomerate with divisions in the growing infrastructure , renewables and more importantly in emerging markets Asia and india , thats where growth is moving too it seems.

It will be interesting to see how UNITY report out gaming and using the gaming engine as a industrial design tool, lets see if those valuations match to the bottom line numbers .

And CRSR, seems now that we have a 25 million vaccine doses that need to be stored at -80 degs we no longer need headsets or keyboards.

Yesterday, what a ride made me feel good to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Intel seems like one to watch for me. The price is good value and with if it drops much more with pressure on IT stocks it could be great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Intel seems like one to watch for me. The price is good value and with if it drops much more with pressure on IT stocks it could be great value.

Intel have just been surpassed in the gaming chip world by AMD now. They had held an advantage there. AMD architecture is down at 7nm while Intel are still on 10 and struggling to get to 7. They are under serious pressure in the chip business. AMD have surpassed them in gaming (single threaded operations since the new Ryzen chips were launched) and Intel were already behind in the standard day to day operations of chips. There likely move is to reduce the chip costs to maintain market share. I'd give Intel a miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Thanks rooster. I knew amd had surpassed them but didn't know they were that far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭littlevillage

ceekay74 wrote: »

You might just get your chance to buy later today

https://pageone.ng/2020/11/10/apples-latest-macs-could-start-a-new-chip-war/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Intel have just been surpassed in the gaming chip world by AMD now. They had held an advantage there. AMD architecture is down at 7nm while Intel are still on 10 and struggling to get to 7. They are under serious pressure in the chip business. AMD have surpassed them in gaming (single threaded operations since the new Ryzen chips were launched) and Intel were already behind in the standard day to day operations of chips. There likely move is to reduce the chip costs to maintain market share. I'd give Intel a miss

Also Apple are meant to announce their first computers using their own chips today (i.e. moving to the ARM architecture and ditching Intel chips).

Don’t know how much of an impact it might have on Intel, but it certainly isn’t tailwind. Apple alone doing this probably does have some type of material impact (although not catastrophic). But if this ends up being a trend and the PC industry decides to go they same way, then it is panic mode :-s

Netflix falling more in pre market. I'm already down on it after buying at 480 but think I'll pick up more.

It's a volitile stock but to me it seems the stock overreacted to news of a vaccine. People will still be stuck inside for months. Netflix subscribers should stay very good.

Before news of a vaccine yesterday Netflix was actually 522 on pre market. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't see any reason for it not to bounce back?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Netflix falling more in pre market. I'm already down on it after buying at 480 but think I'll pick up more.

It's a volitile stock but to me it seems the stock overreacted to news of a vaccine. People will still be stuck inside for months. Netflix subscribers should stay very good.

Before news of a vaccine yesterday Netflix was actually 522 on pre market. Anyone have any thoughts? I don't see any reason for it not to bounce back?

My opinion for what it's worth is people don't tend to unsubscribe from these types of luxuries. Netflix doesn't cost that much and I think once you've budgeted and paying for it, get hooked on a series or 2, just because you won't be confined to your house as much in the coming month doesn't mean you'll stop watching Netflix.

treatyman wrote: »
    My opinion for what it's worth is people don't tend to unsubscribe from these types of luxuries. Netflix doesn't cost that much and I think once you've budgeted and paying for it, get hooked on a series or 2, just because you won't be confined to your house as much in the coming month doesn't mean you'll stop watching Netflix.

Basically my thoughts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Apocalypse3

Does anyone know a good guide to fill capital gain tax form, I've sold some shares in 2019, but those terms such as Aggregate consideration etc I don't understand how to fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

treatyman wrote: »

Broadly agreed that people who started subscribing to streaming services because of lockdowns will likely keep budgeting for this type of service when life gets back to normal.

Having said that, competition has been ramping-up. And due to special introductory offers and/or having too much time to watch TV quite many households probably ended-up with access to many of those services at the same time (Neflix, Disney, Amazon, Apple, HBO, etc).

At some point I suspect there will be some type of arbitrage with people deciding which one(s) to keep and which ones to stop paying for.

Not sure what exactly it means for Neflix though. As the dominant player they’ll probably resist pretty well. But I’d still quote increased competition and a possible return to “normal life” next year as potential headwind.

Bob24 wrote: »
    Broadly agreed people who started subscribing to streaming services because of lockdowns will likely keep budgeting for they type of service when life gets back to normal.

Having said that, competition has been ramping-up and due to special offers and/or having too much time to watch TV quite many households probably ended-up with access to many of those services at the same time (Neflix, Disney, Amazon, Apple, HBO, etc).

At some point I suspect there will be some type of arbitrage with people deciding which one(s) to keep and which ones to ditch.

Not sure what exactly it means for Neflix though. As the dominant player they’ll probably resist pretty well. But I’d still quote increased competition and a possible return to “normal life” next year as potential headwind.

Yeah fair points I'm not planning on keeping Netflix long term like Apple. Maybe for six months or if I see a spike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I jumped in again on Boeing yesterday. Expecting a double whammy of Covid recovery and 737 Max approval over the coming months.

Advertisement