Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

Wombatman wrote: »
    I jumped in again on Boeing yesterday. Expecting a double whammy of Covid recovery and 737 Max approval over the coming months.
    https://leehamnews.com/2020/11/09/pontifications-aircraft-prices-rents-plunge/

just because they have planes to sell, doesn't mean they'll make any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Looks like the market hasn't a clue where it's going today (no more than myself)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Bob24 wrote: »
    Broadly agreed that people who started subscribing to streaming services because of lockdowns will likely keep budgeting for this type of service when life gets back to normal.

Having said that, competition has been ramping-up. And due to special introductory offers and/or having too much time to watch TV quite many households probably ended-up with access to many of those services at the same time (Neflix, Disney, Amazon, Apple, HBO, etc).

At some point I suspect there will be some type of arbitrage with people deciding which one(s) to keep and which ones to stop paying for.

Not sure what exactly it means for Neflix though. As the dominant player they’ll probably resist pretty well. But I’d still quote increased competition and a possible return to “normal life” next year as potential headwind.
    I like Netflix, the more I get into the habit of turning on my TV and going to the Apps in my TV over picking up the Sky remote, the more it becomes a habit and just the go-to thing. More Apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney), the more it moves me away from Sky. I can see a time fairly soon when I'll quit my Sky subscription. Netflix have great control over their costs now with the amount of stuff they make themselves

Wombatman wrote: »
    I jumped in again on Boeing yesterday. Expecting a double whammy of Covid recovery and 737 Max approval over the coming months.
    When Boeing gets the Max certified it'll pop more than any of the airlines

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Jaysus between Fasty and Edesa all my cruiseline and airline profit for yesterday is taking a hammering.

Edesa seems to be having an absolute nightmare since it's good news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

JFrog really is tanking. Down to $57 from my buy at $67

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Looks like NASDAQ is having a sell off, Jimbo (the CNBC Mad Money Jim Cramer) did call it saying a multi-day Nasdaq sell off was on the cards.
    Could this be the valuation reckoning we all new was due . Beware how the big boys play, they will let you down so gently you wont even know you lost a packet until its too late.. I speak from experience.

Im going to pass on PLTR for now.

Asia Asia Asia.. seems to be where its at. Picking up some Lenovo when mkts open tonight.

As long as the VIX is high the volatility will provide opportunity , big trading houses are flat out picking pi's pockets.
    Another sure sign .. when NIO turns red somethings going on :) still it made a few bucks for many here .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Any thoughts about $FCEL ? Might be a good buy with Biden becoming president maybe?

China esports and streaming giants HUYA and DOYU are merging.
    Anyone been tracking these and have info ? Both are majority owned by Tencent

HUYA will buy out DOYU , DOYU share holders recieving .73 HUYA shares for 1 DOYU. Earnings from both in the next 24 hours

At todays prices that looks like a premium if you buy DOYU.
    HUYA 20.35 , DOYU 13.94 .. .... 20.35x0.73 = 14.8 !

Creation of a streaming giant with Tencent backing, Asia still an emerging mkt, 40 million new first time internet users, dollar weakening, the leader of the free world is now a man who cant distingusih between his granddaughter and a son he lost 20 years ago, and a premium to boot. Im in maybe the Chineese have gotten better abacuses to improve their bookkeeping.

p to the e wrote: »
    I see 4D Pharma dropped significantly on word of the Covid vaccine

Yup, strange really. Covid vaccine won't deter them from their main projects/focus.
    I bought more 4d yesterday after Ctrip after it spiked......... market reaction was OTT to both IMO. Glad to be out of Ctrip now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I like Netflix, the more I get into the habit of turning on my TV and going to the Apps in my TV over picking up the Sky remote, the more it becomes a habit and just the go-to thing. More Apps (Netflix, Prime, Disney), the more it moves me away from Sky. I can see a time fairly soon when I'll quit my Sky subscription. Netflix have great control over their costs now with the amount of stuff they make themselves

For sure the likes of Sky and Virgin media have the most to lose in terms of broadcasting subscribers.

Having said that from a consumer’s perspective I don’t think there is any savings to cheers about: as people are stopping their premium TV subscriptions, those companies are increasingly relying on their broadband service to make money, and since there isn’t much competition they are hiking prices for “naked” broadband to make-up for the lost revenue with TV subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Tesla looking very vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

CRSR blows away estimates and still down :(

OPK health flying

regards Netflix, there's too many streaming sites now and Netflix won't be seeing the same robust growth going forward...so may be that explains why its down

CRSR blows away estimates and still down :(

OPK health flying

regards Netflix, there's too many streaming sites now and Netflix won't be seeing the same robust growth going forward...so may be that explains why its down

Im getting really tired of that scenario, blowing away estimates and a stock tanks. Its happening far too often, whilst companies that scrape by and never turn a profit go up.
    What can you say, you spotted a gem, with potential, it realised the potential but the game is rigged. Just repeat and hope for some rational to return to investing. Im going to hold long term on it, may even buy more

Yes OPK is doing well , testing testing testing . Covid.. it hasnt gone anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

That has been the pattern this Quarter...will see how it holds today...

A lot of IT stocks down...JFrog at the lowest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Picked a bad day to go in on Fiverr, bought @ 179 on Friday, trading at 139 now. Thankfully it's my only position in the red but Jesus I barely had time to put my hands back in my pocket. Just wish I bought a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Picked a bad day to go in on Fiverr, bought @ 179 on Friday, trading at 139 now. Thankfully it's my only position in the red but Jesus I barely had time to put my hands back in my pocket. Just wish I bought a week later.

Ooof sorry to hear thats quite the swing, I feel your pain. reckon there will be more pain or 139 is a buy opportunity?

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Ooof sorry to hear thats quite the swing, I feel your pain. reckon there will be more pain or 139 is a buy opportunity?

Yea I'll wait two weeks and go in again, it's a long term play but what a start!

That has been the pattern this Quarter...will see how it holds today...

A lot of IT stocks down...JFrog at the lowest

CRSR Looks to have recovered well, strong finish .
    And a solid well run company it seems, thsi might be a keeper.

Im tempted by JFROG at these prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Looks like NASDAQ is having a sell off, Jimbo (the CNBC Mad Money Jim Cramer) did call it saying a multi-day Nasdaq sell off was on the cards.
    Could this be the valuation reckoning we all new was due . Beware how the big boys play, they will let you down so gently you wont even know you lost a packet until its too late.. I speak from experience.

Im going to pass on PLTR for now.

Asia Asia Asia.. seems to be where its at. Picking up some Lenovo when mkts open tonight.

As long as the VIX is high the volatility will provide opportunity , big trading houses are flat out picking pi's pockets.
    Another sure sign .. when NIO turns red somethings going on :) still it made a few bucks for many here .

Guys please do not base your investing on Mad Money's Jim Cramer, do the research yourself and keep an eye on potential news around whatever company you are investing in - as example, e-commerce now leading up to the Christmas season - or energy stock in the US given Biden being elected as president.

• Advertisement

Guys please do not base your investing on Mad Money's Jim Cramer, do the research yourself and keep an eye on potential news around whatever company you are investing in - as example, e-commerce now leading up to the Christmas season - or energy stock in the US given Biden being elected as president.

Completely disagree with this sentiment . 100%

To glibly dismiss everything Jim Cramer says is such a tired line everyone throws out to sound informed. Jim Cramer a trader for nearly 50 years , in the spotlight for 30 years on the business channel that sets the bar for others to follow and people think he doesnt have any value.

I dont care who says what, you dont have to look at the man who speaks it, just listen to the words been spoken , and then I decide if they reasonte with you.

So if 2 days ago Jim Cramer says be careful folks this Nasdaq sell off could be multi-day, it gets me thinking. And as things have transpired Jim seems to have been right. Helped me decide not to take a punt on PLTR, seems if others had listened they too might not have got burned in this 2 day NASDAQ sell-off.
    Perhaps others had worked this all out from first principles. In a busy day with alot of distractions I welcomed Jims contribution to setting the scene.

Sure he acts crazy on TV , he may be out of his head some days, and like any self-respecting hedge fund manger he probably pulled every dirty trading trick in the book in his days at Goldman Sachs and managing his own fund.
    But in the trading world in my opinion you should listen to every and any source particularily someone whos been in all the positions imaginable .

Should you do exactly what he says every time, course not, whos dumb enough to do everything someone says. But no need to dismiss it .

Next you will be telling us Joe Kennedy should have ignored what his shoeshine boy was saying about the stock market in 1928, if he had ignored it he wouldnt have exited just before the great depression.

Dont ever ignore a source because of who they are with one caveat .
    This does not apply to stock tip threads where the source gives no tips , in which case just ignore that.

feckn 2 and a half more hours for Hong Kong to open .. the things we do for money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

Is a subscription to the FT a valuable information source or is there a decent recommended alternative thx

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

To glibly dismiss everything Jim Cramer says is such a tired line everyone throws out to sound informed. Jim Cramer a trader for nearly 50 years , in the spotlight for 30 years on the business channel that sets the bar for others to follow and people think he doesnt have any value.

Except he’s not a trader, but he’d like you to think he is. Like everyone else who makes money out of trading, as indeed I did, he’s in the picks and shovels business.
    So if 2 days ago Jim Cramer says be careful folks this Nasdaq sell off could be multi-day, it gets me thinking. And as things have transpired Jim seems to have been right. Helped me decide not to take a punt on PLTR, seems if others had listened they too might not have got burned in this 2 day NASDAQ sell-off.

It’s just simple stats and a bit of probability theory for heaven’s sake.
    Next you will be telling us Joe Kennedy should have ignored what his shoeshine boy was saying about the stock market in 1928, if he had ignored it he wouldnt have exited just before the great depression.

Except he did ignore it and took it as an indication of what a crazy situation it was.

The rest of your post just proves his point you’re taking a 50/50 bet on being able to guess when someone else is right or wrong! Hopefully people will see you are their shoe shine person!

Yeah Cramer talks a lot of sense IMO, equally as likely to talk up JNJ as he is Fastly, anyone that can make him a bit of money, and is usually fairly good at telling you when to take a little off.

I can understand why some don't like his personality though

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Except he’s not a trader, but he’d like you to think he is. Like everyone else who makes money out of trading, as indeed I did, he’s in the picks and shovels business.

It’s just simple stats and a bit of probability theory for heaven’s sake.

Except he did ignore it and took it as an indication of what a crazy situation it was.

The rest of your post just proves his point you’re taking a 50/50 bet on being able to guess when someone else is right or wrong! Hopefully people will see you are their shoe shine person!

ahh Jims back.. still no stock tip Jimbo ..
    Markets are open in Frankfurt and London , theres 3000 companies to choose from.. go on pick one

If your probability theory extends to calling somthing a 50/50 bet then its evident you know nothing on this subject.
    Statistics was one of my own majors in college , but even so on that subject I do defer to the missus who was a lecturer in MIT and Harvard and outdoes me with her PhD in statisitcs. I freely admit its a topic I fear to thread on when she is about, I hate it that she lords it over me when it comes to that field.

Anyways newbies enough of Jim and his non stock tip posts in the stock tip thread.

I stand over my case of never ignoring a source and will do till my account closes.

My best ever trade was NVIDIA , many years ago we had an aupair from the Czech Republic, useless sod, took no interest in the kids, and no help around the house so we shipped him on after a few weeks.
    But what he did pay ALL his attention too was a handheld device , he had just gotten the new NVIDIA handheld console, I took a look and was impressed.
    So as he stuffed his face across the table from me , I determined if this kid is transfixed by this device then this company are onto something and this stock is a must buy.
    NVIDA was $15 at the time ... the rest is history

so like I say never ignore a source
    but do ignore people who never tip in a stock tipping thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Yesterday morning I closed out a position I had held for the last 4 years, in fact it may have been the first stock I ever bought! 4 years and a return of 50% (all this year) :D

Looking back I had no idea what I was doing back then but thankfully today I can pretend I know what I'm doing :cool:

ahh Jims back.. still no stock tip Jimbo ..
    Markets are open in Frankfurt and London , theres 3000 companies to choose from.. go on pick one

If your probability theory extends to calling somthing a 50/50 bet then its evident you know nothing on this subject.
    Statistics was one of my own majors in college , but even so on that subject I do defer to the missus who was a lecturer in MIT and Harvard and outdoes me with her PhD in statisitcs. I freely admit its a topic I fear to thread on when she is about, I hate it that she lords it over me when it comes to that field.

Anyways newbies enough of Jim and his non stock tip posts in the stock tip thread.

I stand over my case of never ignoring a source and will do till my account closes.

My best ever trade was NVIDIA , many years ago we had an aupair from the Czech Republic, useless sod, took no interest in the kids, and no help around the house so we shipped him on after a few weeks.
    But what he did pay ALL his attention too was a handheld device , he had just gotten the new NVIDIA handheld console, I took a look and was impressed.
    So as he stuffed his face across the table from me , I determined if this kid is transfixed by this device then this company are onto something and this stock is a must buy.
    NVIDA was $15 at the time ... the rest is history

so like I say never ignore a source
    but do ignore people who never tip in a stock tipping thread.

I enjoy reading your posts, I'm not sure if you're a mad man or semi genius but not that you were wrong to follow the very Peter Lynch strategy of seeing what people are enjoying, however Nvidia definitely aren't valued where they are today because of handheld gaming consoles. The shield division makes up a relatively small portion of the business.

What they are really successful at from a consumer facing point of view is graphics cards and from a less consumer point of view their chips for self driving technology and a range of other applications the day to day user wouldn't necessarily notice.

Kilboor wrote: »
    Yesterday morning I closed out a position I had held for the last 4 years, in fact it may have been the first stock I ever bought! 4 years and a return of 50% (all this year) :D

Looking back I had no idea what I was doing back then but thankfully today I can pretend I know what I'm doing :cool:

Nice, what was it?

Nice, what was it?

An Aussie stock, Barra Resources. At the time I invested into it purely because it was a cheap stock and similar companies (Galaxy Resources) had made a killing. It was involved with mining cobalt which I believed would be vital for the electric car industry but of course it was a stupid decision because I didn't know the first thing about mining or raw materials or the Australian market. Still I for some reason average downed my position to something like 0.025 aud.

After announcing their cobalt resource study which was underwhelming and released into a bearish cobalt market I decided to hold as the share price fell to 1 cents. Thankfully the company also holds some gold deposits and this allowed me to exit in the money this year with the rising price of gold.

A good learning experience I would say!

• Advertisement

Kilboor wrote: »
    An Aussie stock, Barra Resources. At the time I invested into it purely because it was a cheap stock and similar companies (Galaxy Resources) had made a killing. It was involved with mining cobalt which I believed would be vital for the electric car industry but of course it was a stupid decision because I didn't know the first thing about mining or raw materials or the Australian market. Still I for some reason average downed my position to something like 0.025 aud.

After announcing their cobalt resource study which was underwhelming and released into a bearish cobalt market I decided to hold as the share price fell to 1 cents. Thankfully the company also holds some gold deposits and this allowed me to exit in the money this year with the rising price of gold.

A good learning experience I would say!

I remember looking at it a few years back myself, probably would have made the same decision had I not been buying a house at the time. Most people learn lessons from when they lost money, good going to learn and still be 50% up!

Advertisement