Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

All this good news has been hammering my Amazon position. Glad to see them in the spotlight again for abusing competition law - up 1.5% today

I think I'm beginning to understand how the market works... :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Kilboor wrote: »
    I enjoy reading your posts, I'm not sure if you're a mad man or semi genius but not that you were wrong to follow the very Peter Lynch strategy of seeing what people are enjoying, however Nvidia definitely aren't valued where they are today because of handheld gaming consoles. The shield division makes up a relatively small portion of the business.

What they are really successful at from a consumer facing point of view is graphics cards and from a less consumer point of view their chips for self driving technology and a range of other applications the day to day user wouldn't necessarily notice.

agreed ... its a very different company now.. that was just a reason to enter at the time ... as you say the stuff going on with technology is incredible, especially at the chip and nic level, its hard to keep up but makes for an interesting hobby. I just got my new PI400 soc this week, best computer for 80euro you can buy.
    I digress...
    I hadnt heard it called Peter Lynch strategy, no doubt many abide by it, I used it again a few years ago to buy into Nike cos when I asked my kids what runners they wanted they always asked for Nike. (full disclosure I exited NIKE as they became too political, if the kids want NIKE shoes now, they can pay for it with their own money) you can add mean b*tard dad parent to my failings I can live with that.

Another day in the pit , this volatility wont last forever another 6-8 months, although my in house bio informatics statistician warns me you cant fight the virus or contacts or virus mutations . Lets hope she is wrong and gets back to cooking the dinner.
    Best of luck to anyone trading. Do your due diligence but dont forget to look around you also, who knows just like that mask your wearing your next big earner (APT/LAKE) might be right under your nose .. literally.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Except he’s not a trader, but he’d like you to think he is. Like everyone else who makes money out of trading, as indeed I did, he’s in the picks and shovels business.

It’s just simple stats and a bit of probability theory for heaven’s sake.

And a lot of people tend to forget how at Tesla's IPO and for weeks after, he vehemently dismissed the idea of Tesla stock potential, fast forward to years later and its worth hundreds, to a point where Musk himself said it was overvalued (I have to say though I very much disagreed with what musk said there)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Got into alibaba yesterday.

I know they keep talking about regulating the likes of alibaba, Google, amazon and no doubt that would have a negative effect but at the end of the day when I want to find something on the Internet I'll be using Google and probably amazon, regardless of what regulations come in, and I guess the majority of people will do likewise. These companies are ingrained in most people whether we like it or not, I see the dip as good chance to get into a company I've been watching for a while.
    What are peoples thoughts on baba specifically?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭T.Chunter164

jams100 wrote: »

I know they keep talking about regulating the likes of alibaba, Google, amazon and no doubt that would have a negative effect but at the end of the day when I want to find something on the Internet I'll be using Google and probably amazon, regardless of what regulations come in, and I guess the majority of people will do likewise. These companies are ingrained in most people whether we like it or not, I see the dip as good chance to get into a company I've been watching for a while.

I would personally wait on Alibaba, there's nothing wrong with buying now - analyst predictions are quite high indeed. BUT, with the failure of Ant group IPO recently, baba shares have taken a little beating and its uncertain how investors are going to react in the next few weeks. Ant group has tremendous effects on what happens to alibaba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

jams100 wrote: »

I like the company, e-commerce + Cloud + China sounds like a winner.

Just be aware, the reason for the 10% drop this week has been the news tha China is gonna try to reduce their power https://www.bbc.com/news/business-54898357

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Tencent is my china play, their investment arm is very active so hopefully will unearth further value. Not a cheap stock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

And a lot of people tend to forget how at Tesla's IPO and for weeks after, he vehemently dismissed the idea of Tesla stock potential, fast forward to years later and its worth hundreds, to a point where Musk himself said it was overvalued (I have to say though I very much disagreed with what musk said there)

Musk I think only said that in the context of the share split, as in the share price is too high to purchase individual shares, he also cleverly announced it on the 1st of may or 5/1 in US format and then had a 5 to 1 share split lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Kilboor wrote: »
    Yesterday morning I closed out a position I had held for the last 4 years, in fact it may have been the first stock I ever bought! 4 years and a return of 50% (all this year) :D

Looking back I had no idea what I was doing back then but thankfully today I can pretend I know what I'm doing :cool:

Ya dont loose or make money until the day you sell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Bought in to Shopify yesterday hoping to make a quick flip but the more I think about it I'm considering holding on.

I wonder if they are possibly considering a stock split. Usually results in an inflated stock price even if only temporarily.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

wix having a nice bump in advance on their earnings call tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭DulchieLaois

Is BOI with a quick flip on the possibility of brexit trade deal ?

CRSR blows away estimates and still down :(
    What a difference 24 hours make. Im in and out like the bishop and the nun ,
    Thanks for the tip.
    Happy with a small profit. People understimate the power of small gains compounding over time, plus it hones the skills in having a plan, executing the plan and exiting , even if theres some potential profit left on the table down the road. We all trade the same stocks but each has a different plan, timeframe and goals.

Solid company all the same good luck .

Held off on PLTR yesterday , market was still settling after Biontech monday and I took heed from Jim Cramer.But have reassessed and am going for it. I dont regret any missed losses due to this delay, again its good to practice various habits of trading .

Market seems to be swinging back in favour of tech and software, lets see if it holds another day. CRSR profit I hardly knew you , your back in the game , on PLTR.

Noobs I do not recommend you jump right into swing trading and do this type of stuff. Maybe as Im one of those old distinguished white dudes the world has come to despise I need to create my own excitment in my life.
    There is an awful lot to be said for holding and investing long term, Ive plenty already tied up in that.

For now me personally I think the VIX is screaming that swing trading will give returns. And I checked that no biotech has an earnings call in the next 24 hours, Id be surprised if any did release news given the market couldnt absorb more, so we have a window where no magic vaccine other than Putins Potion is going to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

riddles wrote: »
    Is a subscription to the FT a valuable information source or is there a decent recommended alternative thx

Just buy the FT Weekender, will give the highlights for the week

PHG wrote: »
    Just buy the FT Weekender, will give the highlights for the week
    great tip..

Its a great read, one of the best weekend papers about and something in it for everyone from gardening to Wall St . Normally takes a whole week to get thru all the sections.

Check out Merryn Somerset Webb ... love her column... and Alphaville , Tyler Brule among others

And they have a great tech section, I recall reading an article years and years ago early 2000s about a small British company a bunch of boffins working on some chips for Apple, a company call ARM 20 people or so .... Softbank ended up buying them for 30billion in 2016 .. hidden gems in that paper. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Aurora ACB might be a bit of a steal right now.

They are planning something i rekon, yet to be announced later this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I can not express enough how much you should stay away from that company, there has been a partnership or peltz to score a deal or something up their sleeve for about 3 years now. Their management team are idiots. They upgraded their revenue targets by 12% or something along those lines a week before earnings then missed them? WHO does that. Then the CFO announced they wouldn't turn a profit until 2021.

There are much better weed companies. I'm just a stranger on the internet but I will always call that company out for the sack of **** it is. The only thing keep it afloat after the reverse split is yolo robinhood traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Any thoughts on DataDog DDOG - seems to have suffered the fate of many companies, a bad day following good results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

MDB has recovered a good bit on the last few weeks. I went in in Sept and initially saw a good uptick. That was slowly eaten into over the last few weeks but looks better today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Jaysus yesterday there was a blood bath on NASDAQ, today its like they don't give a flyings pig.

FVRR n Upwork on fire

Asana is at its lowest since IPO, their Quarterly earnings are due mid-Dec it would be a good idea to look at them now. May be we can look at cyclicals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I can not express enough how much you should stay away from that company, there has been a partnership or peltz to score a deal or something up their sleeve for about 3 years now. Their management team are idiots. They upgraded their revenue targets by 12% or something along those lines a week before earnings then missed them? WHO does that. Then the CFO announced they wouldn't turn a profit until 2021.

There are much better weed companies. I'm just a stranger on the internet but I will always call that company out for the sack of **** it is. The only thing keep it afloat after the reverse split is yolo robinhood traders.

regardless. its gone up 2 bucks from $6 to $8 since I posted that earlier . If it breaks 8.30 this evening, i think it may rocket. Peltz. Resigned years ago from Aurora. Miguel Martin , is leading them into a new era. A very accomplished manager. Aurora are the biggest giant in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Any thoughts on DataDog DDOG - seems to have suffered the fate of many companies, a bad day following good results.

I bought into DDOG last month, now I'm down almost 16% after posting great q3 results..don't understand that tbh. noob problem I guess.
    They have won 100's of new customers in the last Q and their product is excellent. I work in that space and I'd but their product.

Sticking with them as the trend seems to be to knock good results and climb back.

Also reading that SBBP is worth looking at, $2.45 at the moment, though with so much Pharma coverage at the moment it might be all noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Cpfm wrote: »
    I bought into DDOG last month, now I'm down almost 16% after posting great q3 results..don't understand that tbh. noob problem I guess.

Stocks are forward looking, they price in any possible scenario in advance, that's why stocks often fall on good earnings. Positive moves usually happen in anticipation of an earnings report, then after it reports it can have the opposite effect (the smart money so to speak). You'll also see stocks rally on poor earnings for the same reasons.

For me, that's why I follow price action and not just fundamentals. If a stock is running into trouble, price will tell you well before the fundamentals will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Is now a good time to buy NIO?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Held off on PLTR yesterday , market was still settling after Biontech monday and I took heed from Jim Cramer.But have reassessed and am going for it. I dont regret any missed losses due to this delay, again its good to practice various habits of trading .

Market seems to be swinging back in favour of tech and software, lets see if it holds another day. CRSR profit I hardly knew you , your back in the game , on PLTR.

Noobs I do not recommend you jump right into swing trading and do this type of stuff. Maybe as Im one of those old distinguished white dudes the world has come to despise I need to create my own excitment in my life.
    There is an awful lot to be said for holding and investing long term, Ive plenty already tied up in that.

For now me personally I think the VIX is screaming that swing trading will give returns. And I checked that no biotech has an earnings call in the next 24 hours, Id be surprised if any did release news given the market couldnt absorb more, so we have a window where no magic vaccine other than Putins Potion is going to be announced.

I'm extremely new to this with only a couple hundred euro capital to my name -- but I've put down 30% of my worth in PLTR with the intention of playing an extremely long game. It's only going up from here in the long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

... It's only going up from here in the long term.

Be careful thinking like this, just saying. Plenty big players went bust thinking this way, no such thing as a sure thing in the market. Hopefully you're right, not just for now but during your intended holding period.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

regardless. its gone up 2 bucks from $6 to $8 since I posted that earlier . If it breaks 8.30 this evening, i think it may rocket. Peltz. Resigned years ago from Aurora. Miguel Martin , is leading them into a new era. A very accomplished manager. Aurora are the biggest giant in the industry.

Years ago? He was appointed in March 2019 as strategic advisor and stepped back in Sept 2020.. sounds like you've already drank the cool-aid. Best of luck pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

Over on r/weedstocks ACB was the poster boy 2 years ago, but I think they burnt through cash like anyone's business. I got a little burnt but got out in time. Who knows though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ncyt up again. Think it was a bit of a shake down.

Advertisement