Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Followed some price action on RMS in London, made some quick gains , nothing like getting back in the saddle when you have been bronco bucked.
    As I was eating lunch yesterday RMS was all I saw repeatedly on the CNBC ticker so took a look this morning, seems to be a alot of hype and buyers 3v1 . In at 3.5 out 4 plus , going to use that to chase JD . The have sw to monitor sharfs, turbines wear and tear . Could be legit .

A company I had looked into BraveHeartHoldings BRH , investment vehicle own some RMS, so I picked up some BRH to hold. They seem to be good activist investors so I will let them do the work and ride their profits. They are into Gyrometric, RMS and Pharm2Pharm. Could these be profitable companies, perhaps , but if its in BRH interest to make them turn a buck then I can benefit.

Anyone familiar with these or playing them ... ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

@Rigolo
    Great read on your post well done the main point i took from it and I think it exactly reflects my own position
    " 5) Character - who you are plays a huge part in how you trade. Appetite for risk, patience, discipline,zest for life and age etc. Your biggest enemy is yourself."

I might add I'm up 69% on NIO profits which I'm struggling to take.

NIO is a monster
    I’m up over 150% but haven’t cashed in however a 27% on SOLO in one day is too much to ignore taking something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Was up 225% on NIO yesterday and exited, moved it all across to LMND & TDOC. May look for a NIO re-entry after earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

I first invested in Nio in March. Up over 350%so far. I am very bullish on it being a long hold. Might see some dips along the way, but I see it shooting up to 100 dollar a share in next 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

buyer95 wrote: »
    I first invested in Nio in March. Up over 350%so far. I am very bullish on it being a long hold. Might see some dips along the way, but I see it shooting up to 100 dollar a share in next 12 months.

I remember looking in Feb was going to put 1k after the gov bailout was granted. To think that would have been a 1500% return. Then again if I did the lotto yesterday I could have one that too! Enjoy the gains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

buyer95 wrote: »

NIO is a gamble. Not a sure thing. It was saved by the Chinese government and its books aren't open for scrutiny. Could it hit 100 dollars? Well with the market being nuts at the moment it could very well do that but my advice is to pick a point where you sell up and stick to it. Get your profits and get out. A long hold is years and years. If you think NIO can be relied upon for decades then stick with it but don't believe all you read.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I had NIO before it was cool, sold it at $3.94 in Feb - currently at $50

Also sold PlugPower that day for $3.99 - currently at $24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

This NIO saga will not end well at all. 65 billion market cap? Bigger than general motors? This isn't the next Tesla, it doesn't have even half the characteristics Tesla had.

Even growth potential it's ridiculous, the company was massively struggling to gain a foothold in the Chinese market to a point where they couldn't cover costs.

It will be back to under 30 dollars within a month. Long term it's anyones guess but I'm staying far far away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I had NIO before it was cool, sold it at $3.94 in Feb - currently at $50

Also sold PlugPower that day for $3.99 - currently at $24

I'm very small time compared to most on here but bought NIO @ $12-15 thanks to someone on here I believe, unfortunately only bought a handful (regretting that now :) )

Had been saying that if it got to $50 I would cash out, I think I will follow through with it today and put it down as a win.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

You'll always think you could have bought at a lower price, sold at a higher price, bought more at the start etc. We just feel a "loss" more than we do a "gain". A great book around this is Daniel Kahneman's "Thinking Fast and Slow".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm wondering if construction related stocks will do well over the next few months. With a potential end in sight to the virus, countries may want to get vital infrastructures in place before people get back on the roads. BAM and Caterpillar might be good options

RIGOLO wrote: »

As for Palantir, well Ive two thoughts. Firsty Ive worked on US Government contracts from the technical side in the past, currently stil do in fact, and once the hooks are in the hooks are in and they have big budgets. Lets see what the analyst upgrades are next week.
    Secondly well my youngest still needs walking to school only 8, I had promised here midweek some Fortnite V-bucks as she asked how the investments are going, I told her we bought a US Govt spy company (PLTR) and if they did well she would get extra v-bucks. I had to tell her this monring they were red overnight no extra v-bucks, but she still gets the basic amount promised. Her response -- I told you you should have held onto the chinese EV stocks, which she had, its a joy to talk investments with your 8 year old walking to school, like I said never ignore a source and its not all about the money

and just like that PLTR are back in green up 6%
    So do I tell her when her mother brings her home from school we are green and she better hit me now for those Fornite v-bucks before the Friday sell off ?

BRH , RMS, CBAT, NIO, LI all seeing some nice action since reentry, happy ending for the week.
    That is a plus side of an agressive trading week, it gets you in the game and willing to hit the enter button and not be humming and hawing...

Congrats to everyone, this week we win even if BNTX and their vaccine knocked 5 years off all our lives, some of you can afford it, I dont have 5 to spare... have a great weekend everyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Picked a bad day to go in on Fiverr, bought @ 179 on Friday, trading at 139 now. Thankfully it's my only position in the red but Jesus I barely had time to put my hands back in my pocket. Just wish I bought a week later.

After all that, trading at over $174 now, what a mental few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Done well recently with Nio, Palantir and Fisker, they are my main three top holds which I won't sell.
    Also a couple from mywallst like PINS & pager duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    Done well recently with Nio, Palantir and Fisker, they are my main three top holds which I won't sell.
    Also a couple from mywallst like PINS & pager duty.

I just sold 50% of my Fisker, riding on the EV wave.
    Not sure it'll hold for long though.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

The US ban on tiktok didn't go through (was meant to be yesterday) so Fastly was 6% up pre market. currently at +2% might be the start of a big recovery.

Edesa continues to break my heart.

Alteryx is nearly in the buy zone for me again, if it drops below 110 I'll go in.

Bloom energy is one I've been keeping an eye with its hydrogen road map, if it goes below 15 again I'll go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

and just like that PLTR are back in green up 6%
    So do I tell her when her mother brings her home from school we are green and she better hit me now for those Fornite v-bucks before the Friday sell off ?

BRH , RMS, CBAT, NIO, LI all seeing some nice action since reentry, happy ending for the week.
    That is a plus side of an agressive trading week, it gets you in the game and willing to hit the enter button and not be humming and hawing...

Congrats to everyone, this week we win even if BNTX and their vaccine knocked 5 years off all our lives, some of you can afford it, I dont have 5 to spare... have a great weekend everyone .

PLTR making a good U turn for you :). Excellent week so far, CRSR n Fisker had a great run for me.

You too have a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Kilboor wrote: »
    This NIO saga will not end well at all. 65 billion market cap? Bigger than general motors? This isn't the next Tesla, it doesn't have even half the characteristics Tesla had.

Even growth potential it's ridiculous, the company was massively struggling to gain a foothold in the Chinese market to a point where they couldn't cover costs.

It will be back to under 30 dollars within a month. Long term it's anyones guess but I'm staying far far away

These are my sentiments in ways with Nio and I say that as someone who bought at 5 and stayed on the rollercoaster down to sub 2 and stayed on until 12ish before selling half my holding which I still have.

I can't see how this company is only 20bn or so off VOWs market cap having never made a dollar profit but am happy to stay on board whilst it trundles along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

I just sold 50% of my Fisker, riding on the EV wave.
    Not sure it'll hold for long though.

FSR hit stop loss @ 16.80, moved all over to TDOC & and a small amount into FSLY.

TDOC may drop next week when Moderna announce positive trial results but I'm in it for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Wow SOLO up another 30% today and actually nearly hit $8

Didn’t expect that after selling my lion’s share yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Slanty

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Wow SOLO up another 30% today and actually nearly hit $8

Didn’t expect that after selling my lion’s share yesterday

I held! Was some start then retreated a bit but back on the upwards trend. Again, thanks to whoever gave the original tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

With all the NIO discussion in the past few pages I thought this article might be worth a look :

https://apple.news/AYqpNlu9bS6Wo3mNk1uLgIQ

The Citron report is enbedded as a link in this article for anyone who cares to read.

I don’t have any NIO or know any of the background re Citron but figured I’d share the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

long post , feel free to ignore

So warts and all stories are both catharthic and may help newer investors learn somethings , in fact older investors everyone can do with a refresher every so often .................

I have to say that I always enjoy reading your posts. Generally, they are positive and full of educational nuggets.

Some long term contributors are less forthcoming with imparting their knowledge and that's their choice.

Thanks to you and all the other posters, who help us less informed investors/traders cope with what the markets throw at us.

Followed some price action on RMS in London, made some quick gains , nothing like getting back in the saddle when you have been bronco bucked.
    As I was eating lunch yesterday RMS was all I saw repeatedly on the CNBC ticker so took a look this morning, seems to be a alot of hype and buyers 3v1 . In at 3.5 out 4 plus , going to use that to chase JD . The have sw to monitor sharfs, turbines wear and tear . Could be legit .

A company I had looked into BraveHeartHoldings BRH , investment vehicle own some RMS, so I picked up some BRH to hold. They seem to be good activist investors so I will let them do the work and ride their profits. They are into Gyrometric, RMS and Pharm2Pharm. Could these be profitable companies, perhaps , but if its in BRH interest to make them turn a buck then I can benefit.

Anyone familiar with these or playing them ... ?

Should have held onto the RMS instead of taking near 20+% on the day trade, they topped out by end of day amid huge buys. For the last 3 hours of Friday it was impossible to get a trade thru , the market makers were filling a whales buy.
    This could blow on Monday, currently at 5p.
    I stand corrected RMS bought out Pharm2Pharm (developing tech to coat material, including masks with nanoparticle anti-viricides) , BRH control 51% of RMS and its another company they own called GyroMetric which does the shaft monitoring.
    Braveheart up 26% on my entry, will hold these. Currently 51p
    This is AIM, just cos its SP is only 5p fortunes can still be made and lost.

CBAT uo 16% for me, the China battery manufacturer report this week, lets see if they get some inflows from all the NIO millionaires who want to compound their gains.

JD earnings this week are covered, BIDU is tempting play. Other long holds NVDA, WMT, TGT are also out.
    So where are the plays,
    JKS JinkoSolar report, if these are positive other companies will benefit so Im playing that with SOL REneSola who gave preliminary earnings but report actual date is early Dec so hold for a few weeks by which time the near 80 year old will be closer to the football. Also POLA and FSLR are options plays resting on JKS gains.
    If theres still money flowing into software early week then pick up some MCFE.

And how did the PLTR saga play out in RIGOLO household, well the cutest wolf of Wall St caught me for 2,300 bucks ... luckily they were v-bucks but to an 8 year old its the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Is BABA's big drop all on the back of the news China will be doing more to combat monopolies? If it is, I'd be fairly happy this is overblown. Made it one of my biggest holdings earlier this year at about $205 average price but considering buying some more for geographic diversification purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Chaps, I was thinking of starting a thread with my question, but there seems to be quite a bit of activity in here.
    I read it daily and enjoy the snippets.

my question is

I reckon there will be a UK/EU deal this week, this will lift Irish and UK shares.

Where can I put 10 k euro to gain from this, quick 10% would do me.

Thanks

BRH up 13% , nice compounded gains from Fridays .
    40% in 2 days I will take it.

But what was I thinking with RMS .
    Spotted the run , albeit slightly late, jumped aboard at 3.5p, took my 20% on Friday , but its up 33% this morning , near 6.4.
    If I had left it there Id have near doubled my money in 2 days ... FK!
    ah well have faith , pity party is over... go pick another one.

volatility volatility is the mantra for this week

• Registered Users Posts: 14,284 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

rugbyman wrote: »
    Chaps, I was thinking of starting a thread with my question, but there seems to be quite a bit of activity in here.

my question is

I reckon there will be a UK/EU deal this week, this will lift Irish and UK shares.

Thanks

Sterling, probably. Although wont be 10%.
    Maybe a UK ETF

my question is
    Thanks

Fair question, I like the thinking but I dont have a specific stock answer.

Interesting report here, chart on page 5.
    I didnt realise that the UK has a very large trade deficit with the major EU nations, so if its anyones interest to get a deal done then it seems most in Germany and Frances interests.

It breaks it down by country and sector whether its services or goods .

https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-7851/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

my question is

Thanks

Won't be any deal... just going by a multitude of past experiences

Advertisement