Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

al87987 wrote: »
    . . . and had been enjoying RIGOLO's posting. Hope he returns

+1

Took a punt on £PMO in August after it's price fell considerably. It kept falling and I averaged down in the last couple of months. As it stands, the price has recovered to a position I'm now in profit (yippee). There is talks of a merger though so I'm not sure if I should hold or bail out. Any thoughts?

If you took a punt that suggests it was somewhat speculative...... averaging down after the price fell considerably suggests you are now overinvested.......... I'd take the profit and all my cash and run.

Or perhaps leave the initial punt there if you are so inclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Anyone know why 4d Pharma took such a dive over the last few days?

Comhra wrote: »
    Anyone know why 4d Pharma took such a dive over the last few days?

No idea, AIM market volatility etc etc IMO.
    I bought some more today ......... I'm averaging up but it's a wonderful opportunity all considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

al87987 wrote: »
    Only started trading on revolut last week for the 1st time and had been enjoyong RIGOLO's posting. Hope he returns

Same here but 6 months in getting my toes wet through revolut. All the content is great on the thread to be honest, at the very least it's interesting to read people's views & stories, even if I'm taking them with a pinch of salt and just doing my own thing regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Was hoping to average down today on 4d but looks like i set my buy price too low grr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

I literally liked that post because I thought it was in good sarcastic humour, I guess I misread the room!

Enjoy Rigolos, and indeed everyone else's, insight so a shame if he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Sold long term bets SNE and TEL yesterday.
    Also sold short term bets JKS and FTI.

Bought AIBG and MOMO today for medium term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

My exit from UpWork was premature it seems! Didn't think vaccine news would be good business for outsourcing

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

voodoo wrote: »
    Wish I had taken more advice on here and didn't jump head first into some of the stocks I did - 4D Pharma and Edesa being two...

I feel you on Edesa, but any day now! :)

• Advertisement

DutchYurt wrote: »
    DS Smith less so it's been downward trend but I do think there is some opportunity there.

DS Smith up 16% since I posted, hope someone jumped on, I think it has more to go!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

cronos wrote: »
    I still think a template of some form would be handy for specific stock picks. Although understandable if it would end up too time consuming for everyone.

That would mean that people would either do some home work to justify there hunches...

I think anyone that liked Thargos post, Rigolo thought they were against him. I, for one liked the post cause I thought it was funny. I really enjoy his insights in this thread to be quite frank.

There will be another Rigolo along in the next few weeks, just as sure as God made little green apples. In the meantime just turn on CNBC or whatever and listen to the talking heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭littlevillage

DS Smith up 16% since I posted, hope someone jumped on, I think it has more to go!

Yep, got into DS Smith there a while back (when 1st discussed on this thread) going very nicely. I have 25% profit at the moment but think it has further to run.

cronos wrote: »
    I would just be curious to see overall fund performance of posters in general. While keeping it anonymous obviously.

If they calculated performance correctly as per CFA suggestions and tracked it against an acceptable compost benchmark, most would not be doing what they do.

I did post one example a while back: FNF

retalivity wrote: »
    GAN taking a pounding this afternoon, didnt think the quarterly results were that bad, limit order in for 15

My $15 order was filled earlier. Unfortunately, its a purchase to get my BEP down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭crushproof

My $15 order was filled earlier. Unfortunately, its a purchase to get my BEP down a bit.

Yep no going well at all, certainly in comparison to Draftkings. Can only hope they pull something out of the bag in the coming months, the stock has been languishing since summer.

crushproof wrote: »
    Yep no going well at all, certainly in comparison to Draftkings. Can only hope they pull something out of the bag in the coming months, the stock has been languishing since summer.

Would you recommend going in or staying out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Buffet is going for Merck, Pfizer and Abbvie. Given that I do no research whatsoever, I'm piggybacking 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭jams100

jams100 wrote: »
    A better (safer) long term hold would be shell. You get a decent dividend with that too. It may never reach what it was in February for a long time but oil will eventually get back up to $60 a barrel and their smaller competitors probably won't survive this pandemic

This Shell one has been a lesson for me.
    Thought I was getting in at the bottom but it dropped another 20% went to average down but I done that too quickly and at too short an interval.

Anyway, two months later I'm back up 10%. Have taken 33% off the table this evening willing to hold the rest for an extended period especially with the 5% dividend.

I came close to selling at a loss, its true what they say, its not a loss until you s(H)ell :D

• Advertisement

Would you recommend going in or staying out?

I took the opportunity to get my BEP down a bit. Think they simply have to recover eventually, especially when things get back to 'normality'.

The backdrop here is that

- various US states are being forced to legalize gambling. (They are broke and need the taxes)

- GAN directors were buying GAN shares at these kind of prices a few months back.

- Also Flutter (Paddy Power) who are one of GAN's biggest customers might take a fancy to simply buying them out if the GAN sp collapses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Anybody looking at Tesla? Started like a train today (S&P inclusion) ...but is running out of steam (sorry Pun) now. What kind of price would it be a buy at, perhaps $400??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭Treppen

Jim2007 wrote: »
    That would mean that people would either do some home work to justify there hunches...

Not really, it was done before. You just enter your stock tip and current price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Anybody looking at Tesla? Started like a train today (S&P inclusion) ...but is running out of steam (sorry Pun) now. What kind of price would it be a buy at, perhaps $400??

Don't think it'll drop that low again tbh. Maybe 420 but Tesla is anyone guess.

That said know it's in the S&P I would be more inclined to trust it long term

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Don't think it'll drop that low again tbh. Maybe 420 but Tesla is anyone guess.

That said know it's in the S&P I would be more inclined to trust it long term

I think I sold like the 10 shares I had at 420 because of the last time it happened and he commented on Joe Rogan or something like that? Unfortunately I then missed out on the massive meteoric rise

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

What are people's opinion on Walgreens? Stocks seems to have a constant decline this year. Announcements of Amazon getting into the pharma industry it's taking even more of a hit. Any thoughts ?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Buffet is going for Merck, Pfizer and Abbvie. Given that I do no research whatsoever, I'm piggybacking ��

Because of the size of his portfolio, his options are very limited so the picks represent the best of a bad lot. He has been telling people NOT to follow him for some time now.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Because of the size of his portfolio, his options are very limited so the picks represent the best of a bad lot. He has been telling people NOT to follow him for some time now.

An early post from Jim but still nothing about trading. Now if only posters were up this late/early actual trading in say BTC Bitcoin.. more on that later.

I cant let these nothing information posts pass by , theres young folk here needing an education

Berkshire Hathaway hasnt been a pure Bufett vehicle for a decade or more , he is the figurehead but his sidekick Charlie Munger calls alot of the trades, and he has been grooming a new generation of fund mangers for 20 years to run the show and take over and a number of them already have control of a number of sectors of the portfolio.

Berkshire Hathaway latest SEC filings reveal a number of repositionings.
    Some decisions were Warren, some joint, some by Charlie , some by the new crop, and some by their investors (the mega pension funds and the like that invest in Berkshire Hathaway often have regulations about the makeup of their portfolio and the kncok on from that is they need Berkshire to reflect this positioning, sometimes they do accomodate this)
    Some of the moves are non-traditional moves in that they may be short term plays, which again is tied to the new generation of managers there rather than the old school hold for a decade.

So BRK bought into big-pharma, reduced its Gold exposure (that was a hedge after all), cut Costco and JPMC completely, reduced Apple but the most interesting filing they made is the Confidential Filing.

Reports are that BRK also made a confidential filing with the SEC (a regular occurrence) indicating they are building a big position in a company .

Some rumours are its PAYPAL, this could be faux news that its them but BRK are on the accumulation of something big hence the confidential filing , we just dont know what prob aly until next months 13-F forms.

So there Jims nothing information .. and theres some real information.

An early post , thats cos Im up looking at BITCOIN, BTC trading is open, Im making a major play today and need to get the research done before . more on that later..

Edit : pick up some more paypal , if the rumour is true its a win, if the rumour is not true its still a solid hold.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Theres a new'ish lobby group in Congress promoting cyber currency, they gave every member of congress $50 in bitcoin as a promo stunt , they are looking to push for regulatory control of cyber currency.
    Interesting item on CNBC, 15% of Americans own cyber currency, 25% of millenials and 33% of businesses accept them.
    Lets see if my MARA, RIOT pickup, but Im holding them for 3-4years out so no rush.

looks like I didnt have to wait 3-4 years.
    Karma is at work, the millenials I disparage so much are now lining my 2 euro Minnions plastic wallett.

Bitcoin is on a run in recent weeks and finally my crypto plays got the luv.
    MARA jumped 25% yesterday and RIOT jumped 48% .. compunded my gains in both to near 65% and 90%

So back to the value of research, so in recent days they both announced major increases in their mining capacity , and overnight RIOT announce they hired an old dude with serious credentials in the capital markets industry. Perhaps just a token gesture, I think not, I think they need someone like that to get a seat at the big table.

So BTC market is open Bitcoin up 3% but now its heading in the red, maybe this is profit taking, hence my early start to see the action live nothing like it, but the volume looks good and theres a many hours to go before US traders wake up. Maybe this is just some West coast and Asia traders taking profit.

More research to be done, lets see what the hype is on the early morning news shows and if cryptos are gettgin some positive press, but if BTC shows recovery then I expect the run on MARA and RIOT to continue at least thru to late Thursday. And if so Im making a big move on them .

As I said a month ago, I bought in, if you didnt and want a prize still , then fk off, cos this isnt how this game works.
    If you feel upset cos I didnt formulate the advice in a way that tickled your fancy you can join the above .

Heres some newbie advice, doesnt work all the time, nothing does but as long as it works movre often than not then Im good.
    So yesterdays break from posting on boards was to my benefit, I watched the early action on both and saw the volume saw the trend so kept buying all thru the day picking up tranches so by end of day Id near tripled my holdings and all purchases are in the green. All dependant on holding overnight.

It BTC holds its overnight gains, and I see similar volume early on Im going to load up bigger and earlier in MARA and RIOT. RIOT ran more on Tuesday, maybe MARA will do the run on Wed.
    If BTC is in the red and theres a pullback then I exit and take my gains.

Someone was looking to get 10% on 10k , heres one for you, buy at open and spend the day watching Netflix or working and then check back 30 mins before the market closes. Easy for me to say its your money, but it could be a play but again only if the volume trend and BTC price are holding if not walk away and wait for the next BTC run.
    This may even be a very long term play, maybe BTC turns legit, Ive outlined some earlier thoughts on it and with negative interest rates approaching maybe this is a haven for people.

Now folks at this point because I got in last month Im well ahead in both so Im comfortable taking this risk.
    Caveat Emptor.

Thanks to some posters who reached out to me yesterday, I genuinely feel bad leaving the thread , like I say there are top blokes on here, you know who you are.
    But Im too old to be getting up at 6 in the morning researching investments, making posts and putting it out there and then having to deal with snipers... fk em.

Anyone who wants screenshots can screenshot my ass...

• Advertisement

Early start, sun is up, 2 pots of tea later and bitcoin has tested 18k a couple of times , round numbers are always a psycological barrier so. If it holds then I think we consolidate above 18k for the day, which we seem to be doing.

more MARA and RIOT are on the menu read my earlier posts today on crypto if you wish. And take a sneaky bit of ARB.L, a UK based miner, if they are up this AM then Im sure the US miners will run also.

oh by the way my RMS and BRH plays from last week, I was up significantly but I got taken out by Modernas vaccine news and lost all the gains and now in the red but Im long on those.
    See Im happy to be honest on this forum, who needs screenshots Ive never once doubted anyones posts about trades bar peopel who post about nothing.
    A vaccines may well cure me but could lead me to the poor house :D , just waiting fro my vaccine plays to release their news.

So it was my character that cost me, remember you are your own worst enemy, greed, wanting more gains, wanting to only exit at the top.. I should have sold and moved on. Lesson for newbies and old guys who may go back to bed now. My daughter has no school on a Wed, the education system here astounds me, teachers had a vote in her school and said lets cancel Wed , so no walking her today but she will be watching Squawk Box thats kind of an education.

Have a great trading day. Hopefully im too busy watching these guys this morning to post again.

Advertisement