Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Santander is issuing new shares as a dividend this year, 1 per 23 shares owned. The rights to these dividend shares are tradable and are currently undervalued

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Because of the size of his portfolio, his options are very limited so the picks represent the best of a bad lot. He has been telling people NOT to follow him for some time now.

Yeah he's been warning people for quite a while now that his position is just so unlikely to be to worth copying for small fish. I think people forget that he is extremely restricted in what he can do because his funds are so large, that its like taking a sledge hammer to killing a fly.
    If he was smaller, he'd be enjoying being able to move in and out of positions, but right now, he creates a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Augeo wrote: »
    No idea, AIM market volatility etc etc IMO.
    I bought some more today ......... I'm averaging up but it's a wonderful opportunity all considered.

At the risk of sounding a bit thick, can I ask why people believe 4d pharmacy is a good stock to hold.

Also I’d like to add my thanks to Rigolo’s musings. They have been very informative and also made me chuckle at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Another stock I'm thinking of is Moderna, I now it's priced high @ $77 since it started work on the Covid vaccine, however it's using mRNA technology, Pfizer seems to have proven it's efficacy using their own mRNA vaccine. I know there's a lot more to vaccines than using the right technology but Pfizer seems to at least be proving the concept. They use this technology in most if not all their pipeline so for me this improves the outlook but the price hasn't moved much.

Some call man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Bit of dumb luck there but yea happy with that. It's at $94 now but I'd have expected higher when I thought of it. Just goes to show how much hope is tied up in the valuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

RIGOLO wrote: »
    MARA jumped 25% yesterday and RIOT jumped 48% .. .

Glad you're back...there will always be someone who'll try to pick bones in your work...you can put them on your ignore list...

I remember you mentioned them few weeks ago and had them in my watchlist...but never got into them..feck it

took up a small position in NIO on Monday for a swing trade - the results have topped estimates and they've raised their guidance too...let's see who'll win Longs or short-sellers.

@Shedite27 - got some GDRX, I understand Amazon moving into their Domain will be damaging but thought yesterdays drop was overreaction, what you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

@Shedite27 - got some GDRX, I understand Amazon moving into their Domain will be damaging but thought yesterdays drop was overreaction, what you reckon?
    TBH, I feel like they've lost their reason for being a company, gonna give it a few weeks to cool off and see what becomes of it. I'm certainly not averaging down or feeling too confident about it right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Bar a short spell helping the neighbour find her missing cat, more a small leopard one of those MaineCoon cats, a beast ..been watching BTC with MARA and RIOT moving in tandem pre-market.
    BTC held above 18000 for long periods and has since dropped, I expect ti to revisit over 18000, maybe evne hte high of 18300, getting ready to pull the trigger on MARA if I see a trend line . Plenty volume there.

Either way mkts open, both are up so compunded gains , just a matter of setting a stop loss to lock in profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Wombatman wrote: »
    I jumped in again on Boeing yesterday. Expecting a double whammy of Covid recovery and 737 Max approval over the coming months.

https://twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1329042312559779841

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Supercell wrote: »
    Anyone having a look at RIDE?, I think this has multibagger potential all over it.

$18.95 when I posted this on Monday, $28 now.
    Did I buy, no, did I watch it saying its too late this cant keep up like this since, yes, FML
    Pumped to $31 back in September before dropping to around $13, think I'll just watch a bit more :(
    Maybe a YOLO on PLTR in the meantime, at least those guys are making and selling something today.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

CRSR and PLTR - on a good run...thought after the earnings both would drop...what do I know.

got out of CRSR at 29...now it's feckin 35 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Supercell wrote: »
    $18.95 when I posted this on Monday, $28 now.
    Did I buy, no, did I watch it saying its too late this cant keep up like this since, yes, FML
    Pumped to $31 back in September before dropping to around $13, think I'll just watch a bit more :(
    Maybe a YOLO on PLTR in the meantime, at least those guys are making and selling something today.

I should have paid more attention instead of making jokes about riding. Hindsight is an awful thing remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I should have paid more attention instead of making jokes about riding. Hindsight is an awful thing remember.
    Textbook breakout of a downtrend on volume, I should have paid more attention to the technical and not listened to fear. Have learned something from this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

So we had some research , got up early made a plan .
    Then all I needed was for BTC to revisit the highs in pre markets open , but no joy.
    Still holding sub 18000, maybe it will break the resistance tonight or later in the week. If it does one can always execute the same plan. Theres no harm in having a plan. Either way stop losses are set on crypto mining stocks .
    Stop losses saved me on CBAT today as I was working in the garage and they kicked in to save my gains. Anyone know if 3 hours applying polyurethane varnish in a confined space is bad for you, I certainly dont feel very concerned about the markets.
    Picked up more PYPL maybe the rumour of Buffett is true.
    SCHW is ticking nicely along, still feel its a safe place to park a stake with upside potential.
    Repositioned a chunk of the portfolio into Asia, for now those positions are not where I expected them to be but playing the long game on them .

The VIX continues to drop , the boat may be settling down and normal service being resumed. Back to the long game .

Rigolo - I remember you mentioning you were in Barrick gold, what's your view on it? you still long on it?

FSM and GOLD are down this week, lowest they've been in a month...Assume people diversifying from metals and putting in cyclicals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

What price did you buy at mate? Was looking myself. Long-term it should go up again for sure.

Rigolo - I remember you mentioning you were in Barrick gold, what's your view on it? you still long on it?

FSM and GOLD are down this week, lowest they've been in a month...Assume people diversifying from metals and putting in cyclicals.

Yeah I posted about it, I played it as a hedge, exited with some gains, then Buffett bought in and thought he knows something I dont and felt Id left some on the table but seems that was pure hedge on his part as hes now cut that GOLD position. BARRICK is very well run and all this Covid stuff has actually forced management to do a better job and create leaner more efficient less waste organisations.

Looking at the VIX volatility index all this talk of vaccines is definitely calming things down. So I think playing Gold is a risky move (I know.. says the man who nearly went in large on a bitcoin miner today) if your expecting gains or a flight to gold . There are far less risky plays in the cyclicals as they pick up. I think you and many others have already built out positions in them .

And also theres no harm in not trading anything, keeping some cash on the side . If theres some stocks you believe in long term, then use the side money to build a bigger position in them on each of their red days , every stock has red days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

rudders wrote: »
    What are people's opinion on Walgreens? Stocks seems to have a constant decline this year. Announcements of Amazon getting into the pharma industry it's taking even more of a hit. Any thoughts ?

I think the drop in Walgreens due to Amazon entry into pharma is overblown. Amazon will not be able to prescribe/deliver what are called Schedule II class drugs. These include Ritalin and strong pain medications, adderall, codeine. People with multiple meds that include these Schedule II drugs may not want to deal with multiple vendors.

Also Walgreens has recently partnered up with Doordash to deliver medication kind of like a Deliveroo. I'm not sure of the planned delivery times for Amazon pharma but some people may not want to wait a day or two for their meds.

Add to that a nice dividend.

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Yeah I posted about it, I played it as a hedge, exited with some gains, then Buffett bought in and thought he knows something I dont and felt Id left some on the table but seems that was pure hedge on his part as hes now cut that GOLD position. BARRICK is very well run and all this Covid stuff has actually forced management to do a better job and create leaner more efficient less waste organisations.

Looking at the VIX volatility index all this talk of vaccines is definitely calming things down. So I think playing Gold is a risky move (I know.. says the man who nearly went in large on a bitcoin miner today) if your expecting gains or a flight to gold . There are far less risky plays in the cyclicals as they pick up. I think you and many others have already built out positions in them .

And also theres no harm in not trading anything, keeping some cash on the side . If theres some stocks you believe in long term, then use the side money to build a bigger position in them on each of their red days , every stock has red days.

Thanks for sharing your views, agree gold and metals in general will be risky play at this time...You know I have been a bit heavy on cyclicals :) yep I'm gonna keep a bit of powder dry..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I took the opportunity to get my BEP down a bit. Think they simply have to recover eventually, especially when things get back to 'normality'.

The backdrop here is that

- various US states are being forced to legalize gambling. (They are broke and need the taxes)

- GAN directors were buying GAN shares at these kind of prices a few months back.

- Also Flutter (Paddy Power) who are one of GAN's biggest customers might take a fancy to simply buying them out if the GAN sp collapses.

Bought a traunche at $15 yesterday, out at $17 today. No biggie, but 13% in my pocket is better than in some other plebs pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Bought a traunche at $15 yesterday, out at $17 today. No biggie, but 13% in my pocket is better than in some other plebs pocket.

Just wondering how it works - do you pay all that CGT at once then, or do a separate form every time you sell?

Havent had to do it before, have some profit to take this year though - wahey !

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Went in on 4D pharma a while back and regret it big time now. Just holding it out of FOMO but don't think they are looking like making shapes anytime soon.

As a side-note, I really wouldn't like to have to get into one of those planes. If they are re-certified, I'll do my best to avoid them. Have heard awful things about Boeings engineering in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

TSLA off again, madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I keep DCA'ing Edesa but it just keeps going down. Tested 5$ a few times seems to have good resistance. I hope that's the bottom. I'm nearing a 30% loss overall on it..

Fastly thankfully back to making goesn, just another 10$ and I'll be evens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Wonder what caused Zoom to shoot up just there? But annoyed cause I had been watching ball week bethinking it might be one to get.

But that's investing always a million options you consider but don't take

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

anyone know why Regeneron is doing so poorly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People probably think the new vaccines are going to eat its new antivirals lunch. Great company though, big pipeline and not doing that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Wonder what caused Zoom to shoot up just there? But annoyed cause I had been watching ball week bethinking it might be one to get.

But that's investing always a million options you consider but don't take

New York announced about that time that they were closing schools again. Lockdown = Zoom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

Went in on 4D pharma a while back and regret it big time now. Just holding it out of FOMO but don't think they are looking like making shapes anytime soon.

4D is one for a long term hold. They have a NASDAQ listing on the horizon which could be huge. Everything in the pharma industry is dependent on whether the stuff they make works or not so there's always a risk but also potentially huge rewards. If you think they are worth investing in and believe in their product then stick with them.

https://www.valuethemarkets.com/2020/11/17/the-second-gen-covid-19-stocks-offering-explosive-opportunities-4d-pharma/

• Advertisement

For those interested in broader systemic views of the markets Michael Cembalest JPMC has 2 great articles on what he calls 'The Armageddonists ' .. these are the bears who have for a decade or more predicted a global recession , but history has been written on their comments and they were ALL WRONG !

So moral of the story is

1) Not everyone gets it right
    2) Even the best get it wrong
    3) Buisness journalists in broadsheets (non business specific tomes) are 90% terrible at their jobs particularily in the Irish press. They wouldnt know how to cover or inform a reader on global macro economic issues if their lives depended on it.
    4) Equities have outperformed safe havens goverment and corporate bonds considerably since all these predicitons of doom.
    5) Even in the depths of the COVID dip , many of these commentators got it WRONG AGAIN in their predictions.
    6) And for many reasons Mister Cembalast sees no reason why this bull run should not continue. If you exclude airlines, travel and energy related stocks the fundamentals including earnings , free cash flow and EPS are actually up across the sectors. So a very specific few sectors have born the brunt of the impact .

I enjoy reading the quotes ..
    Now if only we had journalists who next time they interview one of these guys or write an article on them will mention the elephants in the room regarding their subjects.
    May 20, 2010 Nouriel Roubini "There are some parts of the global economy that are now at the risk of a double-dip recession. From here on I see
    things getting worse." - CBS
    January 7, 2016 George Soros
    "Global markets are facing a crisis and investors need to be very cautious, billionaire George Soros told an
    economic forum in Sri Lanka on Thursday..."China has a major adjustment problem," Soros said. "I would say it
    amounts to a crisis. When I look at the financial markets there is a serious challenge which reminds me of the
    crisis we had in 2008." - Bloomberg
    November 9, 2016 Paul Krugman
    "It really does look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging....So we are very probably looking at a
    global recession, with no end in sight. I suppose we could get lucky somehow. But on economics, as on everything
    else, a terrible thing has just happened." - New York Times
    I guess Nobel Prizes dont mean as much as they used too, and calling economics a science was always goign to be a stretch.

Anyways deep in the Covid crisis they gaffed again
    March 24, 2020 Nouriel Roubini
    “With the COVID-19 pandemic still spiraling out of control, the best economic outcome that anyone can hope for is
    a recession deeper than that following the 2008 financial crisis... The risk of a new Great Depression, worse than
    the original — a Greater Depression — is rising by the day.” - Published note on Project Syndicate
    April 1, 2020 George Soros "We're going to have the worst bear market in my lifetime." - Business Insider

Interesting reading

Part 1 Nov 2019
    https://privatebank.jpmorgan.com/content/dam/jpm-wm-aem/global/pb/en/insights/eye-on-the-market/the-armageddonists.pdf

Part 2

Advertisement