Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

CRSR and PLTR - on a good run...thought after the earnings both would drop...what do I know.

got out of CRSR at 29...now it's feckin 35 :(
    Thats a tough one, I feel for you, you really did spot it early and made a great call to invest.
    Just seems to be the way markets are manipulated these days, good companies run up into earnings, then report good numbers, Wall St knocks it back to scare the weak hands and then they hover up cheap shares and rerate it and let it run to its true potential. Been on the recieving side of that too often, its been goign on for years, now if only Jim Cramer had done a video in 2006 talking about how hedge funds make that happen..:rolleyes:..

I think CRSR is still worth investing in.
    We are facing into Q4 , Black Friday deals, presents gifts and tech is all that the younger generation want. Everyones a blogger these days and needs lots of peripherals . I think it and PLTR will run more, just waiting on some dips to add to the holding. So 2021 theres no reason to believe CRSR wont report even better numbers.

Also I went back to my roots with some old school statistical modeling , even asked the wife to help my run some CRSR numbers thru a predictive analysis Matlab program I wrote, and got Google AI involved via my Rasperry PI to crunch some numbers .
    Whilst that was running on a small bitcoin mining farm in the garage and all the lights were flickering on and off with the power surge, I asked myself is there an easier way.. so I went on Amazon and tried to buy some Corsair kit and alot of it is not in stock cos of demand with delays on shipping. :p

You see it doesnt think a PhD to work this sheeeettt out, sometimes all you need is to look in the right places, any idiot can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Ah Roubini Perma-bear....but in fairness to him he was right about Financial crisis in 2008...I reckon some of the economists just go by the economic theories...real world have so many variances...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mach 3

RIGOLO wrote: »
    For those interested in broader systemic views of the markets Michael Cembalest JPMC has 2 great articles on what he calls 'The Armageddonists ' .. these are the bears who have for a decade or more predicted a global recession , but history has been written on their comments and they were ALL WRONG !

So moral of the story is

1) Not everyone gets it right
    2) Even the best get it wrong
    3) Buisness journalists in broadsheets (non business specific tomes) are 90% terrible at their jobs particularily in the Irish press. They wouldnt know how to cover or inform a reader on global macro economic issues if their lives depended on it.
    4) Equities have outperformed safe havens goverment and corporate bonds considerably since all these predicitons of doom.
    5) Even in the depths of the COVID dip , many of these commentators got it WRONG AGAIN in their predictions.
    6) And for many reasons Mister Cembalast sees no reason why this bull run should not continue. If you exclude airlines, travel and energy related stocks the fundamentals including earnings , free cash flow and EPS are actually up across the sectors. So a very specific few sectors have born the brunt of the impact .

I enjoy reading the quotes ..
    Now if only we had journalists who next time they interview one of these guys or write an article on them will mention the elephants in the room regarding their subjects.

I guess Nobel Prizes dont mean as much as they used too, and calling economics a science was always goign to be a stretch.

Anyways deep in the Covid crisis they gaffed again

Interesting reading

Part 1 Nov 2019
    https://privatebank.jpmorgan.com/content/dam/jpm-wm-aem/global/pb/en/insights/eye-on-the-market/the-armageddonists.pdf

Part 2

Good post, RIGOLO. You are on the right track.

90% of people would rather be wrong with the crowd than wrong on their own. The other 10% don't care if they are wrong.

I'm not so sure what point you are trying to make, but I am getting the impression you are very bullish equities. I am of the opposite view at the moment and would be interested to hear why people think it is a good idea to be invested in equities over the next 6 months or any other asset classes for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Mach 3 wrote: »

90% of people would rather be wrong with the crowd than wrong on their own. The other 10% don't care if they are wrong.

I'm not so sure what point you are trying to make, but I am getting the impression you are very bullish equities. I am of the opposite view at the moment and would be interested to hear why people think it is a good idea to be invested in equities over the next 6 months or any other asset classes for that matter.

You won't be wrong anyway if all asset classes go down and you are not invested in any of them. Gold is supposed to go up if shares go down.

Thats a tough one, I feel for you, you really did spot it early and made a great call to invest.
    Just seems to be the way markets are manipulated these days, good companies run up into earnings, then report good numbers, Wall St knocks it back to scare the weak hands and then they hover up cheap shares and rerate it and let it run to its true potential. Been on the recieving side of that too often, its been goign on for years, now if only Jim Cramer had done a video in 2006 talking about how hedge funds make that happen..:rolleyes:..

I think CRSR is still worth investing in.
    We are facing into Q4 , Black Friday deals, presents gifts and tech is all that the younger generation want. Everyones a blogger these days and needs lots of peripherals . I think it and PLTR will run more, just waiting on some dips to add to the holding. So 2021 theres no reason to believe CRSR wont report even better numbers.

Also I went back to my roots with some old school statistical modeling , even asked the wife to help my run some CRSR numbers thru a predictive analysis Matlab program I wrote, and got Google AI involved via my Rasperry PI to crunch some numbers .
    Whilst that was running on a small bitcoin mining farm in the garage and all the lights were flickering on and off with the power surge, I asked myself is there an easier way.. so I went on Amazon and tried to buy some Corsair kit and alot of it is not in stock cos of demand with delays on shipping. :p

You see it doesnt think a PhD to work this sheeeettt out, sometimes all you need is to look in the right places, any idiot can do that.

I agree with holiday season, it definitely has legs to run...will nibble some if it dips....Great call on PLTR...

Folks interested in UK market should look at Capita - CPI...it's a diversified group but mainly outsourcing, providing BPM services etc...before Covid-19 it was on a path of re-structuring it's business but covid disrupted it...however with vaccine on horizon it has great scope. current price is 42P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

NNDM back over 5$ (premarket), I'm very bullish on this company at the minute,they have about a 2year lead on their competitors.

https://youtu.be/9xzRymjXLKA

responses to a few posts mixed in here, great to see healthy discussion
    Mach 3 wrote: »

Dont read too much into that post whether I am bullish equities, I think thats for another debate. FWIW I am, but everything in this game is personal, so my bullish time frame is 5 years out , I dont need the money tied up in equities but others might and have a different timeframe and need the market to support their future plans in 12-18 months, so bullish 5 years is no good for the person who needs it in 2021.

The point I was really making there is dont listen too much to anyone cos everyone gets it wrong plenty times, and there have been 'Armageddonists' (great term) saying its all going to crash for decades.

As to why theres reason to be bullish, its all outlined in the article.
    Mr Cembalast makes a good case that the fundamentals supported many companies in this crisis and will do the same going forward. I freely admit I didnt expect so many companies to be able to report such good numbers in the midst of a global pandemic. If someone told you 2 years ago, in 2020 everyone would be wearing a mask, no schools open and no flights or holidays but the Dow would break 30,000 , everyone would say your mad to think the market could survive that impact.
    But its happened, many companies are fundamentally healthy and emerging markets and regions are expanding so theres a good case for being bullish, bar
    a mink escaping from some 'fur farm' and infecting the planet with a new covid variant.

One of my takeaways from the articles is . You just never know how the market will react, or you just never know what life will throw up next, thats what makes this such an interesting area to be involved in, you just never know , its like a sitcom where the plot line is unpredictable but we spend our days trying to predict it and sometimes get it right.

As to PLTR , theres a poster here 'saganist' who I think made the earliest call on them, have to give him credit.

Roubini - wasnt the only one to call the crash ;)

Some refer to Bitcoin as Gold 2.0 , its the new goto 'commodity' if equities drop or interest rates go negative. The gold:bitcoin ratio has been trending positive for BTC, lets see if the millenials keep it alive as they seem to prefer a virtual coin, although Im old school and prefer a gold one, maybe I need to get with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Folks interested in UK market should look at Capita - CPI...it's a diversified group but mainly outsourcing, providing BPM services etc...before Covid-19 it was on a path of re-structuring it's business but covid disrupted it...however with vaccine on horizon it has great scope. current price is 42P

I got tipped when they were 27 and got out at 32. If I'm not mistaken there were rumours of a buy out by a private equity firm. I only dabble a small amount but certainly keeping an eye

Timmaay wrote: »
    NNDM back over 5$ (premarket), I'm very bullish on this company at the minute,they have about a 2year lead on their competitors.

Thats quite the graph they have there, any idea what happened in June and Oct 2019 like a brick was put into their SP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

@Shedite27 - got some GDRX, I understand Amazon moving into their Domain will be damaging but thought yesterdays drop was overreaction, what you reckon?
    The CEO was on CNBC today talking through Amazon's move. I'm more bullish now after hearing what he had to say, basically that GoodRx still offers far more and bigger discounts than Amazon, and their model is quite different.

Up 10% today (still down 20% for the week)

• Advertisement

exactly what I was wishing for, company to make a statement :)...hopefully it'll go back to where it was at the start of the week

cmssjone wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding a bit thick, can I ask why people believe 4d pharmacy is a good stock to hold..........

My reasoning is that they are working on treatments that might potentially be used in conjunction with an MSD blockbuster drug. The current SP is tiny relative to that potential. I bought most of my shares at 60% of what they are now so I'm not sitting on a loss and hoping for the best.

Edesa has dropped below the 5$ resistance with a new low today of 4.89$ and I'll be honest, I'm now starting to worry.. It's been roughly a month since they released news about FDA clearance for Phase 2 so news should be coming soon. I've been saying should alot..

I can't make sense as to why it is still going down, I learned yesterday that a hedge fund bought 120k shares at an avg of 8$ in Q3 (owning about 1.28% of the company) whilst there has been insider buying a few weeks back for 4$ but yet it keeps dripping down.

I'll hold my weak hands for now but if it tests the 4.80 level I can't keep DCA'ing from lack of funds so I'll reconsider the advice I read awhile ago of watering the flowers and cutting the weeds at a 30% loss.

Any one else thoughts on Edesa?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

DutchYurt wrote: »

I'll hold my weak hands for now but if it tests the 4.80 level I can't keep DCA'ing from lack of funds so I'll reconsider the advice I read awhile ago of watering the flowers and cutting the weeds at a 30% loss.

Any one else thoughts on Edesa?

Are you dollar cost averaging or just averaging down?

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Are you dollar cost averaging or just averaging down?

After an initial large buy I am DCA'ing double the amount of the original buy I bought in so half/half - maybe DCA isnt the correct term in this situation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

After an initial large buy I am DCA'ing double the amount of the original buy I bought in so half/half - maybe DCA isnt the correct term in this situation

An initial large buy and then you bought in again but double the original amount?

DCA'ing is deciding an amount to invest in a company and then spreading out the investment over time at regular intervals.

By my understanding you've doubled down after the SP fell following the initial buy. Basically averaging down hoping the price pops so you can let go of the bag you've been holding. Been there, done that, will do again.

As for Edesa, I only know of it from your posts on here. A lot more often than not I've found that patience rewards more than trying to trade your way out of trouble. Buffets line about the market being an efficient mechanism to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient is very true. If you feel Edesa have potential catalysts and nothing fundamental has changed since your initial reason for buying then consider the patience option.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    An initial large buy and then you bought in again but double the original amount?

DCA'ing is deciding an amount to invest in a company and then spreading out the investment over time at regular intervals.

By my understanding you've doubled down after the SP fell following the initial buy. Basically averaging down hoping the price pops so you can let go of the bag you've been holding. Been there, done that, will do again.

As for Edesa, I only know of it from your posts on here. A lot more often than not I've found that patience rewards more than trying to trade your way out of trouble. Buffets line about the market being an efficient mechanism to transfer wealth from the impatient to the patient is very true. If you feel Edesa have potential catalysts and nothing fundamental has changed since your initial reason for buying then consider the patience option.

Oh sorry, let me explain eg - bought in for 1000 initially, but will buy an additional 2000 more but using the DCA (200 at a time) method if that makes sense!

Appreciate the advice - it started to fall when I got in bed with Fastly so ive had alot of red days and my hands are getting weaker!

I was just wondering if anyone else was in them to see if they were seeing something I wasn't! :)

Oh sorry, let me explain eg - bought in for 1000 initially, but will buy an additional 2000 more but using the DCA (200 at a time) method if that makes sense!

Appreciate the advice - it started to fall when I got in bed with Fastly so ive had alot of red days and my hands are getting weaker!

I was just wondering if anyone else was in them to see if they were seeing something I wasn't! :)

Investing in bio, esecially bio research companies is ALWAYS high risk but high reward.
    I took a look at Edesa , my 2 cents , they seem legit, have some products and are targetting a medical sector that has huge demand, so IF they make the breakthrough it will be huge.

But their clinical pipeline is all still in either Phase 1 or early Phase 2.. if your expecting regular news updates on these then you will be dissapointed, thats not how those trials work, its slow.
    Still nothing in Phase 3, so until they get to Phase 3 no one will know how good their product is.

If I were you Id be using the FDA trials website to keep track of them, according to that 2 of their trials are still recruiting and the EB01 one seems to be late on reporting, although they recently announced enrollment completion, maybe thats Covid delays, not everythign is up to date.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=&term=edesa&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03680131?term=eb01+dermatitis&draw=2&rank=1

Seems looks like a young pharma company to me , only 5 years old and only recently completing enrollments so it comes down to have you patience to wait anything from 6 months to 3 years for news and a pop, or do you have so much capital tied up in them you need to get out. Its a small float so they may need another dilution but even so its still a small float.

In my experience the first 5 years of any new bio company is spent with all the lab nerd PhDs runing around trying to bonk each other and just happy to have their first job. Once things settle down only then do they crack on with the work.

Interesting company, intersting product but its ultimately a bio-pharma punt, needs patience and risk and willingless to lose.
    Ive lost on plenty of them but others Ive won on so thats the nature of the beast. Welcome to the club your now a bio-pharma venture capitalist Best of luck .

Edit : the people involved there seem very expereinced, so I stand corrected on my earlier comment , they are probably well past their days of chasing each other around the lab, and some have a history of developing companies and selling them on, so maybe thats what they are at here, looking for one more payday. And I see a UNC Medical Centre partnership on the EB01 trial. Thats how Id evaluate them and I freely admit Ive invested in bio pharma companies with far less credentials. So it will either end in riches or tears but it may take 3 years before you know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭cmssjone

Augeo wrote: »
    My reasoning is that they are working on treatments that might potentially be used in conjunction with an MSD blockbuster drug. The current SP is tiny relative to that potential. I bought most of my shares at 60% of what they are now so I'm not sitting on a loss and hoping for the best.

I’ve done a bit more reading about them. Do you think that they have a realistic chance of joining the NASDAQ? If so, what would the share price increase to? Can definitely see the potential with regards to finding that wonder drug.

And AYRO is my EV play , Amazon are building a new distro centre near them and they do electric run abouts.

AYRO up 39% today . I had to wait 4 months to get back above my bep and see a bit of green as they had been hammered after I bought in.
    Unfortunately Id cut some of my holding so its just reducing my losses which is still good.
    So they were on my watchlist and Id spotted the run this morning but baulked at taking advantage. When a stock has bitten you once, one is wary of getting caught again but sometimes this hesitation is a mistake. The past is history, live for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

What do you guys think of INTERPACE BIOSCIENCES IDXG?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

Timmaay wrote: »

+15% as I type.... good call, thanks Timmaay

cmssjone wrote: »
    I’ve done a bit more reading about them. Do you think that they have a realistic chance of joining the NASDAQ? If so, what would the share price increase to? Can definitely see the potential with regards to finding that wonder drug.

They'll be on NASDAQ q1 2021 I expect....

Leeds, UK, October 22 2020, – 4D pharma plc (AIM: DDDD), a pharmaceutical company leading the development of Live Biotherapeutic products (LBPs) - a novel class of drug derived from the microbiome - and Longevity Acquisition Corporation (NASDAQ: LOAC) ("Longevity"), a NASDAQ-listed Special Purpose Acquisition Company (“SPAC”), today announce the proposed merger of the two companies. The deal is worth up to $37.6 million to 4D pharma. As a result of the merger, 4D pharma plans to launch a new NASDAQ-listed American Depositary Share (ADS) programme under the ticker symbol ‘LBPS’ and will immediately be admitted to trading on NASDAQ upon completion. 4D pharma will become dual-listed and ordinary shares will continue to be traded on AIM under the ticker symbol ‘DDDD’.

The motivation from 4d is clear... 'Duncan Peyton, CEO, 4D pharma. “A NASDAQ listing allows 4D pharma to capitalise on increased interest from US healthcare investors in recent years, providing access to a much larger pool of specialist capital, and increasing our global profile and exposure. NASDAQ is a very positive environment for growing, innovative biotech companies'

Impossible to guess quantify the impact TBH as I'd expect some good news RNSs to be released also...... Recent highs of 1.70 ish should be surpassed easily IMO over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭riddles

GEVO had a run today because of this - NOV 19, 2020
    Aviation pollution targets set out in new US bill
    A Sustainable Aviation Fuel Act, an innovative bill that takes a first step toward cutting the climate-harming pollution from aircraft, has been introduced in the US.
    The bill, introduced by Julia Brownley (D-CA), sets clear targets for the aviation sector to cut emissions to put the sector on a path to net-zero emissions by 2050.
    The bill provides incentives for the production of high quality sustainable aviation fuels with a requirement that all these fuels, at a minimum, meet international standards.- 12bn$ in grants for alternative fuel options

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

What do folks think on Tesla? Can it really go much higher than it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,242 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bilbot79 wrote: »

Every ETF and fund in the world that tracks the S&P 500 will need to add Tesla to their portfolios in the coming weeks. There'll be a lot of demand and price pressure in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting article on PLTR on Seeking Alpha - https://seekingalpha.com/article/4390525-what-palantir-is-not
    I bought some of these as a yolo buy a few days ago but have to say this doesnt sit well. I have a simple rule when buying stocks - if I dont understand what the company does then dont buy it. Its why I never buy pharma stocks as I haven't a clue about that industry. I think $20 is likely on this in the next week or two at most and I'll exit then. maybe I'm passing up an opportunity but so be it.

Heres another interesting article, this time on RIDE which had a mad run this week - https://investorplace.com/2020/11/dancing-around-wont-save-lordstown-motors-from-hitting-0/
    Its funny, NIO had armageddon type articles too back when its price was cratering but then it had Chinese government support which can never be discounted I suppose, hard to see the same hail mary for RIDE, think I'll steer well clear for now.

Anything EV is white hot these days, wouldn't be surprised to see VLDR take a pop any day soon back to the $30 mark, the EV space is one I am doing a lot of reading on recently, I think there are other nascent Tesla's out there ripe for the picking with a bit of research, and luck.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Investing in bio, esecially bio research companies is ALWAYS high risk but high reward.
    I took a look at Edesa , my 2 cents , they seem legit, have some products and are targetting a medical sector that has huge demand, so IF they make the breakthrough it will be huge.

But their clinical pipeline is all still in either Phase 1 or early Phase 2.. if your expecting regular news updates on these then you will be dissapointed, thats not how those trials work, its slow.
    Still nothing in Phase 3, so until they get to Phase 3 no one will know how good their product is.

If I were you Id be using the FDA trials website to keep track of them, according to that 2 of their trials are still recruiting and the EB01 one seems to be late on reporting, although they recently announced enrollment completion, maybe thats Covid delays, not everythign is up to date.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?cond=&term=edesa&cntry=&state=&city=&dist=
    https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03680131?term=eb01+dermatitis&draw=2&rank=1

Seems looks like a young pharma company to me , only 5 years old and only recently completing enrollments so it comes down to have you patience to wait anything from 6 months to 3 years for news and a pop, or do you have so much capital tied up in them you need to get out. Its a small float so they may need another dilution but even so its still a small float.

In my experience the first 5 years of any new bio company is spent with all the lab nerd PhDs runing around trying to bonk each other and just happy to have their first job. Once things settle down only then do they crack on with the work.

Interesting company, intersting product but its ultimately a bio-pharma punt, needs patience and risk and willingless to lose.
    Ive lost on plenty of them but others Ive won on so thats the nature of the beast. Welcome to the club your now a bio-pharma venture capitalist Best of luck .

Edit : the people involved there seem very expereinced, so I stand corrected on my earlier comment , they are probably well past their days of chasing each other around the lab, and some have a history of developing companies and selling them on, so maybe thats what they are at here, looking for one more payday. And I see a UNC Medical Centre partnership on the EB01 trial. Thats how Id evaluate them and I freely admit Ive invested in bio pharma companies with far less credentials. So it will either end in riches or tears but it may take 3 years before you know for sure.

Thanks Rigolo! Really appreciate the time you put into that, I didn't expect that at all! Will take everything you said onboard! Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,135 ✭✭✭dinneenp

bilbot79 wrote: »

People have been asking that question for years.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I've played Biotech well this year a good few times. You don't want to be holding them long term. The best time to get out of 4d Pharma is a day or two before the news. Take your profit from the run up (which could be as much as 100% +, however 30% + is excellent in itself), and don't look back.

Cheap BioTech is for swing trading not long term holding. Sell before news I say.

Advertisement