Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

bilbot79 wrote: »
    What do folks think on Tesla? Can it really go much higher than it is now?

I've been bullish on Tesla going back 5 years but I think it will start to consolidate and growth will slow over the next year. The cybertruck is the most interesting thing they're doing from a business point of view but as for the rest of their line up, it's getting a bit stale and competition in those ranges is increasing.

Always good to have as part of a diversified portfolio though

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Folks these are just thoughts, Im not preaching or telling or dictating to anyone , Im finding this forum useful to get some ideas out.
    Its a free'ish world, read if you wish dont read if wish, freedoms are precious dont let anyone take any of yours or even your neighbours away.

Ive been watching bitcoin chart all week to the point where when I close my eyes I can still see its vague outline.
    This morning it seems to be holding firm above 18k in a manner not seen before. All bodes well to a green day and Project RIOTMARA as Ive been nibbling at them throughout the week on dips. Looking for relationships and maybe the description of BTC as Gold 2.0 and it being a legitimate haven is coming to fruition.

The general market is currently digesting some of the big numbers , debt is spiraling (duh yeah tell us something we dont know) , corporate debt has been growing this year at rates not seen for a decade as many companies look to the capital markets to refinace and survive, similarily the level of share offerings are also at record levels , again another means for companies to recapitalise but the danger of this is share dilution. But not every company has done this so are surviving on fundamentals. Yet all this corporate debt will have to repaid down the line. Just have to look at China where SOEs (stae owned ent.) have recently defaulted on a number of bond interest repayments to realise that day when the money lender arrives at the door with his pitbull in tow is already upon us for some companies.

Which leads me to think any additions to the portfolio should pay big attention to the balance sheet and debt and float (duh yeah thats always been the case), so well run companies in emerging buisness with room to grow and good financials are gogin to be solid for 2021, companies like CRSR.

But than all of the above is bull**** and doesnt apply if you look at some sectors.

I spoke of rotation to ASia, I spoke of looking at upcoming earnings and so I bought into BILI , a mobile content deliverer, they released earnings and losses were larger than expected so you expect a drop, but no it rallied 20%, why because actual viewers had increased considerably and revenue up, so finiancials bad but stock price goes up.

Everyone here who trades stocks (im excluding people who post here but dont actually trade or tell us what they trade) seems to have experience of this where the SP didnt move in a way they expected post what earnings or balance sheet was saying.

So maybe todays lesson (again, how many times do we need to learn this) is that as always the balance sheet is important in some sectors but meaningless in others. You just have to seperate those sides of your brain when buying into stocks in different sectors. It makes sense, so buy it, it makes no sense but buy it anyways.

VIX has stabilised but the volatility where previously was across all sectors seems to be more containerised . EVs and all things EV seems to be this weeks VIX toy so lets see if we can play this. The likes of GEVO,AYRO,BLNK,CBAT are all on the radar this morning to see if they are going to run some more.

Now if your happy to invest long dont feel the need to day trade, swing trade scalp etc. just cos you see others here doing it. As I say we are all differnet at differnet times of life, different access to capital different needs, so feel free to sit it out. Just do me a favour and dont pss on our parade, your free to enjoy watching us fools fall on our face (or maybe we dont ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Edesa has dropped below the 5$ resistance with a new low today of 4.89$ and I'll be honest, I'm now starting to worry.. It's been roughly a month since they released news about FDA clearance for Phase 2 so news should be coming soon. I've been saying should alot..

I can't make sense as to why it is still going down, I learned yesterday that a hedge fund bought 120k shares at an avg of 8$ in Q3 (owning about 1.28% of the company) whilst there has been insider buying a few weeks back for 4$ but yet it keeps dripping down.

I'll hold my weak hands for now but if it tests the 4.80 level I can't keep DCA'ing from lack of funds so I'll reconsider the advice I read awhile ago of watering the flowers and cutting the weeds at a 30% loss.

Any one else thoughts on Edesa?

They have an active ATM offering which was filed end of September. This might explain some of the selling. You will know more when they file the next 10Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Ive been watching bitcoin chart all week to the point where when I close my eyes I can still see its vague outline.
    This morning it seems to be holding firm above 18k in a manner not seen before. All bodes well to a green day and Project RIOTMARA as Ive been nibbling at them throughout the week on dips. Looking for relationships and maybe the description of BTC as Gold 2.0 and it being a legitimate haven is coming to fruition.

Hey Rigolo, maybe something of interest to you but if you look at the Hash Ribbon indicator for BTC at each halfing they have had it has steadily increased, the more mining the more expensive it gets to mine, at the moment the hash ribbon is in a decrease which they think is due to wet season in china (the miners are moving their equipment to a drier place to begin mining again).

Looking at the hash ribbon historically after a halving historically has seen a massive rise in the price worth to keep an eye on too when making decisions on BTC!

I spoke with someone who knows the ins and outs of it entirely, they bought a few coins when they were in the 100 mark so just sharing the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Cpfm wrote: »
    +15% as I type.... good call, thanks Timmaay

Uggh more share dilution. Back to 4.20 premarket. The last one (only back in October) got bought up fast at least. I'd hold off buying anymore to see how the next few days go anyways.

• Advertisement

MCPHY (22 euro)- Hydorgen electrolysers , French company, met some of their scientists recently I think they are on the cusp of some breakthrus...

MCPHY hitting all time highs closing on 32 euro. The French might be the surrender monkeys of history but they are often on the cusp of breakthroughs

Nice solid gains in under 6 weeks, looks like we will all be pulling up to hydrogen electolyser powered EV charging stations to recharge our NIOs which have CBAT batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

VIX has stabilised but the volatility where previously was across all sectors seems to be more containerised . EVs and all things EV seems to be this weeks VIX toy so lets see if we can play this. The likes of GEVO,AYRO,BLNK,CBAT are all on the radar this morning to see if they are going to run some more.
    I am sitting here salivating at the prospect of the Vix at or under 21. That's risk-off territory and the run after that will be crazy.

One of my sleepers was shilled to Chamath Palihapitiya yesterday on Twitter. Things are looking sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Compass pathways has popped up on my radar again who are developing psilocybin therapy to treat depression. I think it was mentioned here before.

Their IPO was in Sept and the price seems to have settled around the mid 30 range, but of course still early days.

Going to keep an eye on it for now but this could potentially be the stock that you lose your money on or get a 10x return.

So this weeks early morning review of BTC is paying dividends.
    Had to wait 4 months for MARA and RIOT to get the crypto boost and now that BTCs on a run , we see more green this morning.
    Blackrocks CIO just stated cryptocurrency is here to stay and may replace gold. .
    Yesterdays buy back into CBATs pullback is up 10%.
    Time for a cup of tea to think about when/if we exit.

Mnuchins positive comment on the Covid stimulus talks has settled everyone down.

Cathie Wood and Ark investments they had a great chat with head of Gaming at Youtube. First 35 mins of this.
    Its very interesting for anyone playing gaming, social media or computer peripherals for the next 5 years.
    Watching this video and more importantly forcing my older kids who game to watch all 35 mins of it convinced me to add more CRSR. If they game they better be able to talk 'shop' also and advise on the portfolio.

I regret exiting BILI even if it was double digit gains, but thats the value sometimes of very active trading you eventually settle the portfolio into what you want it to be and have some knowledge in each sector. Nothing like having money in the pot to make you pay attention to what drives sectors.

Heres the video, worth the 30 mins, but a short version is we will all be playing 1000 person battle royal games on mobile devices whilst actively altering the games landscape in 5 years time.. Greta Thunberg will be dissapointed ..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Another day with insane EV runs, had my eye on AYRO yesterday thinking there would be pullback today but now 50% up..lol is all i can say to that!
    IDEX and GMHI are plays I think that could well explode next week, this is pure gambling though, big risk, big gains :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The CEO was on CNBC today talking through Amazon's move. I'm more bullish now after hearing what he had to say, basically that GoodRx still offers far more and bigger discounts than Amazon, and their model is quite different.

Up 10% today (still down 20% for the week)

GDRX moving up nicely today...

EV's on a mad-run....folks be careful jumping in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Supercell wrote: »
    Another day with insane EV runs, had my eye on AYRO yesterday thinking there would be pullback today but now 50% up..lol is all i can say to that!
    IDEX and GMHI are plays I think that could well explode next week, this is pure gambling though, big risk, big gains :)

Been holding for awhile, any idea why GMHI jumped today?

So bitcoin consolidates above 18k, hitting intraday highs but RIOT closes red.
    Mara was up , not as much as I expected but the Riot move surprised me.

I wonder was it beacuse 10,000 calls at 6 and 18,000 at 6.50 were expiring yesterday. And Wall St manages to land the burning plane right on the button at 5.99 . 4 billion lost by shorts in BTC , I guess they had to find somewhere to limit losses.
    Someone made a bad call, but some can get away with mistakes by manipulating the price and calling in some favours.
    Its a rigged game, we all know that, thems the rules, deal with it.
    Lets see how long they can fight against the tide.
    ah well still a green day, the world is EV

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

Lads I have no knowledge of buying shares but a guy in work recommended this company to me.

https://imagionbiosystems.com/

The stocks were $0.12 Aud on Friday but they have been on a market halt since then waiting for some kind of announcement. Is that normally a good or bad sign?

Lads I have no knowledge of buying shares but a guy in work recommended this company to me.

The stocks were $0.12 Aud on Friday but they have been on a market halt since then waiting for some kind of announcement. Is that normally a good or bad sign?

I've no knowledge
    Random guy recommended
    Penny stock
    Market halt.

4red flags. Don't think I'll bother continuing...

Timmaay wrote: »
    I've no knowledge
    Random guy recommended
    Penny stock
    Market halt.

4red flags. Don't think I'll bother continuing...

Actually I'll try and be useful. Dollar average and EFT, go spend your time researching both them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Macerich may also be a good retail property play, up nearly 20% pre open, but at that its still around a quarter of its pre covid value.

Still believe this has legs, I only went in when I made the comment above, I'm up 14% in 12 days, but it's still less than half it's pre-covid price.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

GDRX moving up nicely today...
    I sold out of my GoodRX yesterday, unfortuantely I think it'll take a while to revover from the Amazon news. I'm not convinced it'll be a killer but I can't imagine investors are going to grow the share prices while there's that uncertainty around it.

outonawing wrote: »
    Been holding for awhile, any idea why GMHI jumped today?

I guess this answers my question:

https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/11/20/why-gores-metropoulos-stock-skyrocketed-today/

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

So bitcoin

EOS and Cardano (Ada) are ironically my best performing assets this month. Next are banks. I'm >30% in green on the AIB!

American stocks are dragging behind and I expect this trend to continue.

• Advertisement

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Edesa has dropped below the 5$ resistance with a new low today of 4.89$ and I'll be honest, I'm now starting to worry.. It's been roughly a month since they released news about FDA clearance for Phase 2 so news should be coming soon. I've been saying should alot..

I can't make sense as to why it is still going down, I learned yesterday that a hedge fund bought 120k shares at an avg of 8$ in Q3 (owning about 1.28% of the company) whilst there has been insider buying a few weeks back for 4$ but yet it keeps dripping down.

I'll hold my weak hands for now but if it tests the 4.80 level I can't keep DCA'ing from lack of funds so I'll reconsider the advice I read awhile ago of watering the flowers and cutting the weeds at a 30% loss.

Any one else thoughts on Edesa?

I'm replying afew days later, and have absolutely no clue what that company is lol, however in situations like this the best bet is to flog off half your position now, that way you reduce your exposure but you still have half in to take advantage of any jumps, so emotionally alot easier on you lol, your not fomo'ing that you fully sold the wrong time, but you got that cash to move along and spent on something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

There is another very similar company called nanox vision NASDAQ:NNOX
    https://www.nanox.vision/ Citron Research says its a complete fraud though so i'm not recommending it to anybody. i am in it though +15% currently with a stop at my entry price so i don't really care what happens to it. For aus check out kogan.com ASX:KGN an entry around $14 mark could be good starting point and 11.90 if it gets there. i have it on my watchlist let it bleed a little bit longer maybe in a week or two it will be good to go again. afterpay is another interesting company but i'd like more of a dip on it to get in, its very similar company to klarna in europe.

Reading some blogs about AirBNB over the weekend and their upcoming IPO. Definitely a company I want to buy, but I suspect it'll be Snowflake-like first few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

Comhra wrote: »
    Anyone know why 4d Pharma took such a dive over the last few days?

because I bought some

because I bought some

DDDD carrying a lot of dead weight, I'm in too 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Does anyone have any thoughts on Planet 13 - $PLNHF as a growth stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Reading some blogs about AirBNB over the weekend and their upcoming IPO. Definitely a company I want to buy, but I suspect it'll be Snowflake-like first few days.

This topic should really warrent it's own dedicated thread. Ideally on how to get in at the IPO price assuming it's going to go up. Which of course is not always the case but probable here. I'm a long term investor anyway but hate hearing about these things late.

hottipper wrote: »
    There is another very similar company called nanox vision NASDAQ:NNOX
    https://www.nanox.vision/ Citron Research says its a complete fraud though so i'm not recommending it to anybody. i am in it though +15% currently with a stop at my entry price so i don't really care what happens to it. For aus check out kogan.com ASX:KGN an entry around $14 mark could be good starting point and 11.90 if it gets there. i have it on my watchlist let it bleed a little bit longer maybe in a week or two it will be good to go again. afterpay is another interesting company but i'd like more of a dip on it to get in, its very similar company to klarna in europe.

NNOX(36.74) was the Israeli company Id come across also.
    Joint venture with Japanese engineers. Could be a market disruptor and changing the fundamental way MRIs and scans are done.
    At this Citron saying its a fraud is almost reason to buy in.

Earnings plays this week and next are these two, hard to nail down when they will announce , but its soon
    UXIN (1.23) - China online used car company, used car prices have been steady if not increased during Covid , plus they offloaded their credit financing arm to just concentrate on selling cars.
    and
    SOL (5.32) - has had a recent pop but if their earnings meets their guidance on profitability then they may play catchup with the other solar stocks.

BTC held well during weekend trading, hit 18,900.

cronos wrote: »
    This topic should really warrant it's own dedicated thread. Ideally on how to get in at the IPO price assuming it's going to go up. Which of course is not always the case but probable here. I'm a long term investor anyway but hate hearing about these things late.

Well you definitely won't get in at IPO price, but the key is to see what price you want to get in at. Look back on how Snowflake, Lemonade, Palantir, Asana, etc performed in their first few days for a clue. It will "price" at a certain price, by the time the market opens, that will have jumped, but then over a few days it settles down into a lower price. I bought Lemonade and Snowflake after IPO, the key is to buy a small amount initially, then you can see later if it goes cheaper, you average down, if it starts climbing, well at least you have some at a good price. With Snow, I've bought every time it's touched $230, with Lemonade, I've bought every time it's touched $50. My maths has that as a fair price, I'll do something similar with AirBnB (I reckon it's worth about $50bn), so will work out my buy price from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

NNOX(36.74) was the Israeli company Id come across also.
    Joint venture with Japanese engineers. Could be a market disruptor and changing the fundamental way MRIs and scans are done.
    At this Citron saying its a fraud is almost reason to buy in.

Earnings plays this week and next are these two, hard to nail down when they will announce , but its soon
    UXIN (1.23) - China online used car company, used car prices have been steady if not increased during Covid , plus they offloaded their credit financing arm to just concentrate on selling cars.
    and
    SOL (5.32) - has had a recent pop but if their earnings meets their guidance on profitability then they may play catchup with the other solar stocks.

BTC held well during weekend trading, hit 18,900.

Ah cool its a super high risk play so no more than 2% of your account if anyone reading is going to risk it + we at the top of the daily so a good chance it retraces this week.
    If your interested in used cars maybe check out vroom $vrm
    They sell second hand cars online, don't have any dealerships your car arrives in a box like a pair of runners and you can try it out for 2 weeks :pac: It was backed by bill gates investments. It may be garbage not for everyone looking at the chart though price starting to diverge risk / reward is there.

Advertisement