Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

AmberGold wrote: »
    Just putting this out there as a marker for hopefully positive update later.

I've been building a significant holding in Ackmans SPAC PSTH for some time and it accounts for near 50% of my portfolio now. Average price is $21.70 or so...... expecting news of a target in Q1 and possibly sooner. A lot of chatter that the target is Stripe, if true this could double at least.

I like Ackman, his founders fee is performance related and the Tontine structure rewards long term investors.

Very interesting. Sounds like a keeper.

Have you read PSH June 30th Annual Statement.
    It gives alot of detail on the PSTH structure, as you say its not a normal SPAC. PSH are not taking the same founders fees nor administration costs, so its all gravy for the investor. In this case the majority investor in this will be PSH which according to Ackman is trading at 30% NAV, whereas PSTH was at 106% at time of writing. So could make a case here to buy PSH and not PSTH .
    Factor in the SPAC was oversubscribed to the tune of 12 billion , but they capped it at 4billion and PSH have an option to add 1-3 billion to the pot, it comes out at 7 billion blank check.
    At they clearly state the want to be a minority owner in the merger company whihc limits their options to companies 15billion and up... definitely has a company the size of STRIPE written all over it.

https://assets.pershingsquareholdings.com/2020/08/28125504/Pershing-Square-Holdings-Ltd.-June-2020-Interim.pdf

I wonder when he will announce this, pre vaccine roll out, pre xmas , pre Presidential transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

jams100 wrote: »
    Just bought Wells fargo and Mastercard.
    With the American economy going to turn around quick in 2021 I think this stock has been undervalued, have been keeping an eye on them for a while but finally pulled the trigger on both today. Can see Wells being up 30-40% in 12 months. With a dividend of only 1.40% a dividend increase 2021 is almost a certainty, which should result in a nice little bump.

WFC is an interesting one, I owned it for a while and it just traded sideways mostly whilst others went on a mega rampage after March this year so I got rid off. Wall street hates this stock because of the endless scandals, it was one of the things that attracted me in initially thinking it was unfairly beaten down!. It got a new CFO but the new scandals/stories coming weekly things still dont seem to be any better, in the end I decided to lump it in with the cigarette and stocks I don't understand basket, steer well clear of. Coupled with that Fintech is disrupting old school banking with WFC being one of the oldest, can they move with agility , and adapt?, I'm not so sure.

For all that I think it might do well enough, maybe not back to pre March ~$50 levels but maybe late $30's early $40's are possible with patience. Not for me for the reasons above but everyone trades for the same reason, happy profits to you if they come :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Quick question - How do taxes work on us individual stocks?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Quick question - How do taxes work on us individual stocks?

Things you need to google:

W8-Ben
    If you are a PAYE worker for CGT - https://www.revenue.ie/en/gains-gifts-and-inheritance/documents/formcg1.pdf
    Dividends - fill out in the income section of https://www.ros.ie/myaccount-web/sign_in.html (there is US and Canadian dividends subsections IIRC)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Another one of my significant investments Tullow has come back from the brink and is looking steady now, SP increasing from .8 to .33 over the last few months. I'm now finally green.

They had a "Capital Markets" briefing today which was positive and they mentioned expansion plans would be self funded.

Most importantly they didn't mention a rights issue, fully expecting the SP to rise after, its decreased. WTF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Strong opening today

• Registered Users Posts: 16 culchie_abroad

Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm starting to dip my toe into stocks but am a bit wary due to the market being at an all time high, surely a massive correction is on the way?

Interesting in hearing your thoughts on some long terms share picks, I'm aiming to buy a couple hundred every month to slowly build up my portfolio over time. Most of it I'll put into VOO or maybe even ARKK but I'd like to place a few long term bets like below.

Steadyish:
    - GOLD
    - BA
    - SABR
    - PYPL

Speculative:
    - PLTR
    - UBER
    - TLS
    - DKNG
    - NCLH
    - When Airbnb & Stripe IPO arrives I'd probably take a few there too

What do you guys fancy for a 5-10 year period (and maybe beyond)?

Hi All,

I'm starting to dip my toe into stocks but am a bit wary due to the market being at an all time high, surely a massive correction is on the way?

Interesting in hearing your thoughts on some long terms share picks, I'm aiming to buy a couple hundred every month to slowly build up my portfolio over time. Most of it I'll put into VOO or maybe even ARKK but I'd like to place a few long term bets like below.

Steadyish:
    - GOLD
    - BA
    - SABR
    - PYPL

Speculative:
    - PLTR
    - UBER
    - TLS
    - DKNG
    - NCLH

Thats not a bad list you have put together. Everyone will put together their own lists. Im not gone on GOLD, BTC seems to be the replacement.
    I think there is already plenty posts in here where you can get the answer to what people are considering for long term investments.
    PSTH which was mentioned this morning could be one for 5 years.
    If you are putting in a few hundred a month , then perhaps you should limit the portfolio to less stocks as spreading that capital across many shares wont get you much of each.
    ITs really just a case of taking some input from here, and then making your own mind up after you learn as much as you can about the company and the sector and then ultimately you are backing yourself.

Good luck with the trading. FWIW the market has ALWAYS had turmoil, Ive lived thru many crashes abd bubble markets. Each age is a new age with a new dynamic as well as some old factors at work.

RIOT and MARA saving the day, indexs red but the porfolios green, Bitcoin is setting new highs and these miners are firming up . A new sector for me but very lucrative so far. Maybe you can teach an old dog new tricks.

The CRSR dip is offering a new buying oppurtunity with some of those crypto profits.

And PLTR continues to rise, military cloud software, the ultimate black hole industry no one knows what they do and no one knows who they do it for . :D

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I don't know why it's called a bull run because all I'm seeing is red and thats their favorite colour.

Does anyone have a number for the stock market man I've a complaint to make :pac:

Alteryx and Chegg are my only saving grace today.

I still think Alteryx has huge potential and chegg should climb back up with online learning.

Was thinking of making a play on Paypal before earnings with their latest BTC announcement.

Also keep an eye to infrastructure companies in the US - they were underfunded under trump so I think they're a good 2/3 year hold. Which company however I don't know yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Hi All,

Steadyish:
    - GOLD
    - BA
    - SABR
    - PYPL

Speculative:
    - PLTR
    - UBER
    - TLS
    - DKNG
    - NCLH

VOO is a great place to start. The only other one I have in your list is UBER and its doing really well. Square and Adobe are my best performers and I'll definitely be holding them long term. Maybe look into other sectors like healthcare and energy so you're diversified.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I don't know why it's called a bull run because all I'm seeing is red and thats their favorite colour.

Does anyone have a number for the stock market man I've a complaint to make :pac:

Alteryx and Chegg are my only saving grace today.

I still think Alteryx has huge potential and chegg should climb back up with online learning.

Was thinking of making a play on Paypal before earnings with their latest BTC announcement.

Also keep an eye to infrastructure companies in the US - they were underfunded under trump so I think they're a good 2/3 year hold. Which company however I don't know yet!
    Funny the last few days I've been the opposite. GReen today

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Lots of Twitter rumours that Salesforce will buy Slack.

Up 30% today.

Anyone still holding Slack?

Timmaay wrote: »
    Sold 34% of my NIO this morning (for the original capital amount plus 20%), sold half my Tanh that I took a handy 40% gain from yesterday, trimmed 1/4 my Novacyt for a 25% loss (Rigolo worst share tip ever!!!, Lol nay absolutely no regrets and I'll see how the future goes, hopefully get back to breakeven next negative covid news and trim more then, can't win them all). Bought more NNDM on the dip this morning and have buy orders in for it and UMC.

Up 5.1% in Paris and 4.9% in London today, 24 hours . I hear you though, its a rocky ride currently.
    My stance hasnt changed , I look out the window and Covids still out there and top quality testing (PCR kits) will be needed.
    Also this has been a very quite period for news. The directors accumulated some shares in recent weeks which means we cant get any news for 2 weeks post that.
    So I think something is building behind the scenes.
    Whenever they had a quite period before and were knocked back they always came out with a great RNS to leg up.
    So I am holding until at least another RNS or end of year sales statments whihc is easier as my bep is very low.
    I hope you recover all your losses, I hate to see someone down after following my tip , I trust they were up at one point for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Timmaay wrote: »
    Sold 34% of my NIO this morning (for the original capital amount plus 20%), sold half my Tanh that I took a handy 40% gain from yesterday, trimmed 1/4 my Novacyt for a 25% loss (Rigolo worst share tip ever!!!, Lol nay absolutely no regrets and I'll see how the future goes, hopefully get back to breakeven next negative covid news and trim more then, can't win them all). Bought more NNDM on the dip this morning and have buy orders in for it and UMC.

Nice call on NNDM. Picked up some yesterday based on this. Thanks buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Shedite27 wrote: »

Up 30% today.

Yep, A ton of it.
    Cha-ching!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Bank them now before Salesforce change their mind...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Bank them now before Salesforce change their mind...:)

Have my stop-limit order in for a chunk of them at $35 , BEP is $27.90.
    Still believe its a company with a lot of growth potential and also ripe for a buyout by salesforce or others, so definitely want to maintain a position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Shedite27 wrote: »

Up 30% today.

Bought $10K around the time they took the case against MS, underwater for most of the time I've held it. Thought Zoom could have been a contender ...

Anyone with some house cleaning left to do on their CGT keep in mind the end of November is coming round if you want to get it sorted for the 11 month initial period Jan 01 - Nov 30.
    Its a shortened trading week for Thanksgiving, closed Thursday and half-day Friday, but Monday open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone holding DKNG with me? Up 52% since I bought it, still think it's a long term hold I'm not taking profits

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Anyone holding DKNG with me? Up 52% since I bought it, still think it's a long term hold I'm not taking profits

Yeah i bought the last dip +37% currently, going to let that run not going to trade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

PLTR is like a runaway train at the moment. I only made a small investment in it as I'm new to this game. It is up 192% since then.

Should have went in bigger, but hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

SNOW is up almost 9% today also. I went in slightly more on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

hottipper wrote: »
    Yeah i bought the last dip +37% currently, going to let that run not going to trade it.

Me neither, I really think its a solid company. Hopefully more states open up for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

CRSR under pressure today, nice dip to add a bit I would say.

Cyclicals holding well not budging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

CRSR under pressure today, nice dip to add a bit I would say.

Cyclicals holding well not budging.

I could have sworn Corsair CRSR was on revolut but I went to look there and I can't find it. I swore I was looking at it in there the other week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭franglan

Me neither, I really think its a solid company. Hopefully more states open up for them

No some of us are in GAN misery....

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Took some profits shifted them to UXIN awaitng earnings and some magic Chinese accounting , still undecided about SOL .

only had to wait 2 days....
    UXIN popped a 20% high today, currently up 16%. Earnings arent out yet, maybe this is the start of a big run. There seems to be a battle going on with those who want it short and those who know the value. For now Im stuck in the middle and will have to wait it out, possibly until earnings are officially out.
    Second hand car market should produce good numbers now that they got rid of the car financing department

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Already had some but was about to go back in for more. The slow rise back has started it seems.

Who you thinking?

Delta and American being the obvious ones. Delta seems safer but less money to be made imo

I am considering delta too but am hesitant with its current price. Southwest too.

Away from airlines, I'm considering General electric too.

Advertisement