Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

ceekay74 wrote: »
    I am considering delta too but am hesitant with its current price. Southwest too.

Away from airlines, I'm considering General electric too.

United might also be a shout. Their fleet isn't as big as the likes of American so goes to reason they shouldn't have as many planes grounded as things pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

2021 financials like paypal and mastercard will repost jan1
    Airlines will take longer to return certs for pilots, aircraft and traveler reluctance have bought cruise line shares big ships ready to go think will be first big leisure spend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

US Markets closed today - thanksgiving

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Shedite27 wrote: »
    US Markets closed today - thanksgiving

What am I going to do from 2:30PM :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭allybhoy

retalivity wrote: »
    Yep, A ton of it.
    Cha-ching!

Likewise, i bought a load back in early Covid days thinking it would face similar growth to Zoom etc but it never happened, dropped further and further, I tried averaging my losses by buying the dips but i could never find the bottom. Was actually depressed about it to be honest and was tempted to cut losses and sell a few times to free up capital, im glad i didnt, got out yesterday at 38 with a healthy 30% return. Very happy with that one, although if the rumour is true i except the price to keep growing as its a very good piece of software and it surprised me as to why it was performing so poorly given the nature of Covid. I think Teams just blew it out of the water

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

agoodpunt wrote: »
    2021 financials like paypal and mastercard will repost jan1
    Airlines will take longer to return certs for pilots, aircraft and traveler reluctance have bought cruise line shares big ships ready to go think will be first big leisure spend

Have United just passed the Golden Cross?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

80s Child wrote: »
    Have United just passed the Golden Cross?

Explain golden cross?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Anyone holding Arrival CIIC?

Not yet. 2021 may be a big year for them.
    I like the look of that truck and they already have 1billion in orders. British engineering whats not to like.

If they dont pop too much in the next 10days I will accumulate them as another long term SPAC holding adding to PSTH.
    I convinced the missus to put some of her dosh in PSTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

Hi all,

Could someone please clear this up for me.

If, for instance my income is around 32k. Which is below the 35k threshold of being liable to pay the higher tax rate. I make 4000e gain from disposal of shares throughout the year. I file my returns and pay my CGT tax. As for my income, does that correlate? Meaning, will revenue make my annual overall income out to be 36k and charge me the higher tax rate? But then I’ll be paying tax twice no? Lol. I spoke to the guy on ROS and he didn’t know much about this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi all,

If, for instance my income is around 32k. Which is below the 35k threshold of being liable to pay the higher tax rate. I make 4000e gain from disposal of shares throughout the year. I file my returns and pay my CGT tax. As for my income, does that correlate? Meaning, will revenue make my annual overall income out to be 36k and charge me the higher tax rate? But then I’ll be paying tax twice no? Lol. I spoke to the guy on ROS and he didn’t know much about this matter.

CGT is not income, dividends are.
    The person you were speaking to in ROS needs a new job.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

80s Child wrote: »
    The golden cross occurs when a short-term moving average crosses over a major long-term moving average to the upside and is interpreted by analysts and traders as signaling a definitive upward turn in a market. Basically, the short-term average trends up faster than the long-term average, until they cross.

Stolen from Google.

Usually the daily e/ma 20 crossing the 200 upward, downwards it a death cross :).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Hi all,

As Supercell said above you have a taxable capital gain not an income gain so no impact on your income tax. Just as an aside, if your PAYE income was above 35k, it's only the part over the threshold you'd pay at the higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Supercell wrote: »
    Usually the daily e/ma 20 crossing the 200 upward, downwards it a death cross :).

Yes. I deleted my previous post as I was going to put in an updated image.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

CGT is not income, dividends are.
    The person you were speaking to in ROS needs a new job.

Thanks. Yeah, I knew about the dividends being liable for income tax. Was unsure of CGT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Big drop in crypto today. Maybe now is a good time to buy.

Or it could be the sharpest knife ever caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

All the analysis of the hash ribbon rates compared with previous halvings have suggest towards a t 30% pull back, this might be it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Don't know much about Crypto, however generally speaking don't buy into Big drops...let the drop to stabilise then you can jump in....I understand the temptation but this is were we get sucked in and become bag-holders.

The BTC trading volume is so tiny compared to last time, don't know what to make of it. last time it hit 19K every man and his dog was trading BTC, now it's only the diehards that i hear talking about it, is it them selling to each other only this time or is it really more non-retail investors? Sorry to take this off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Yep wouldnt touch it yet. The marketcap was around 850 last time BTC hit all time high. I think it will drop a bit consolidate then bull run. But just my guess.

And as you said, no one is talking about it at all, I reckon its all the funds that have started adding it have built it up.

I remember being at a work Christmas party last time and everyone was talking about it saying I don't know what it is but will I buy it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

My account opening process is under review at coinbase. Not looking to buy at current levels but will keep an eye on it and it might be handy to have the account though I might never use it. If I do it'll be adding sporadically. Bitcoin is here to stay and if I ask myself will it be more integrated into society and worth more in 10 years time than today then I think the answer is yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

The whole industry is garbage it's all leverage trading and liquidation hunts that pushes the price around so unless your a trader id stay well clear. They might pump it up to 24k or whatever just to grab some attention but you will wake up some morning with half your investment gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

The BTC trading volume is so tiny compared to last time, don't know what to make of it. last time it hit 19K every man and his dog was trading BTC, now it's only the diehards that i hear talking about it, is it them selling to each other only this time or is it really more non-retail investors? Sorry to take this off topic.
    Normies were scared off.
    They'll return after BTC sets a new ATH.
    And get dumped on again.
    Then they'll panic-sell their bags at a fraction of what they paid to the sellers.
    And it will begin again.

It's the circle of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Providence Resources Farmout finalised, going to be a tasty end to the month for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Any opinions on Sonos? Seems like a solid company, a lot of people I know have bought their products

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Kilboor wrote: »
    Providence Resources Farmout finalised, going to be a tasty end to the month for me

Where did you see that? I was worried about the radio silence on that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Kilboor wrote: »

Ah very good, fingers crossed. You planning on holding long term? I'm tempted to sell up on the news.

Ah very good, fingers crossed. You planning on holding long term? I'm tempted to sell up on the news.

I’ll see how it goes tomorrow, usually have a price target in my head to sell but can’t settle on a good valuation for providence. 350 million barrels at 50 dollars a barrel and 40-50% ownership . That to me is a lot more than 60 million market cap is all I’ll say

I’ll most likely sell out of my LOGP position though presuming a big jump tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Now it's only the diehards that i hear talking about it, is it them selling to each other only this time or is it really more non-retail investors? Sorry to take this off topic.
    Retail not so much a feature right now. This is being driven by the less regulated hedge funds/family offices/wealthy individuals. Also, paypal are a large buyer in this market - given that they're now offering crypto. Proper institutional investment has yet to arrive. It will come eventually.
    Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    And as you said, no one is talking about it at all, I reckon its all the funds that have started adding it have built it up.
    Yup.
    Bob Harris wrote: »
    My account opening process is under review at coinbase.
    I'd suggest Binance or Kraken - their trading fees are much better by comparison with Coinbase. Be sure to take your crypto off the exchange regardless of which one you use.
    hottipper wrote: »
    The whole industry is garbage it's all leverage trading and liquidation hunts that pushes the price around so unless your a trader id stay well clear.
    They can push the price around because it's a tiny market comparatively. That will fix itself as the market grows.
    hottipper wrote: »
    They might pump it up to 24k or whatever just to grab some attention but you will wake up some morning with half your investment gone.
    If volatility is a concern, the answer is to size your position proportionately/accordingly. Then zoom out and you'll see that over time, bitcoin has outperformed everything else going over the course of the past few years.
    Normies were scared off.
    They'll return after BTC sets a new ATH.
    And get dumped on again.
    Then they'll panic-sell their bags at a fraction of what they paid to the sellers.
    And it will begin again.
    It's the circle of life.
    Absolutely. Some crypto folk were reporting hearing from people they had not heard from for the longest of time - but not in major numbers. They will come when this bull market takes off properly.

Advertisement