Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭LC134

Jim2007 wrote: »
    First of all is it actually under valued or just his opinion? Remember he has something to sell. Next keep in mind that on average these vehicles have a return of about -15% and a median of about -35%, that means they need to be highly under valued if the investor is to manage the risk and get an appropriate return.

Be very careful with these type of vehicles.

Hi - I’m completely new to the SPAC concept (but I like it), I’m surprised at that indicative return figure? Is there any general reason for this? Is it because they’ve a blank cheque they end up over paying for the acquisition etc.

I see the share price is up at 25.

Over the past 30 years I knew I could not make money out of trading, but we could out of traders and we did.

How do you make money out of traders? Selling a how to trade book/"course" ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

How do you make money out of traders? Selling a how to trade book/"course" ?!?
    I assumed he meant something like copy trading on etoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

cronos wrote: »
    What entry price are people looking at for psth?

How high's the risks? What are the risks?
    Unlikely the price would ever go below $20 - I've only seen that in 1 of about 50 SPAC's I've been following this year.

Ackman is the sort of personality that won't want his SPAC to be seen as underwhelming. I'd say there's a very good chance it won't be Stripe, but I'd be confident he'll find a suitable target regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Any random individual can pick up the paper tomorrow, pick a trending stock and have the exact same odds (50%) of doing as well you do. I don’t see why you see that as something special!

Over the past 30 years I knew I could not make money out of trading, but we could out of traders and we did.

Why do you insist on making such flippant remarks about traders? Yes it's clear you understand the benefits of investing LT. There are also times when ST trading outweighs them and we're currently in one of those times. The market is gifting us fast massive returns so even the most ardent long would be foolish not to take them.

I know some swing traders and they spend hours after work researching stocks and looking for trends to trade. They understand markets and know when to trade actively. This time next year they may not trade at all. These guys are smart.

It's no coincidence that this board has seen a big uptick in activity the last few months. Just like back in the 90's the hype will eventually die down and the traders will disappear. Until then it looks like your words are falling on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

RIGOLO wrote: »
    PSH is Pershing Square Holdings - Ackmans main fund vehicle
    PSTH is the SPAC blank cheque - one Im loading up on
    PSTH-WT are warrants for the spac (there may be some trading restrictions on when you can sell these post a merger, open to correction)

Ackmans has had success with SPACs in the past his Justice Holding did a similar deal in 2012 with Burger King to form QSR and thats done consistently well for PSH since.

And yes Ackmans PSH is undervalued by any metric you want to take.
    Heres just one ... FTSE 100 companies are trading at 1.5 times book value on average , whilst PSH is trading at a 20-30% discount. Thats undervalued!
    but
    Plenty companies are undervalued , doesnt mean they get the love, plenty companies are overvalued making millions billions for investors. The games rigged you just need to figure out if its worth holding and them eventually getting a justifiable re-rate on the sp.

Chinese EV companies will be releasing November delivery numbers this week, expecting some good figures for NIO, LI and XPENG in that order .. if one delivers then the others will follow, if all 3 beat expectatiosn we have another major legup

And just like that bitcoin back above 18k .

risk off is the motto for the end of 2020.

Whats the significance of FTSE100 ? PSTH is listed on NYSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Whats the significance of FTSE100 ? PSTH is listed on NYSE.

PSHZF, his fund as opposed to SPAC is listed on the LSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

AmberGold wrote: »
    PSHZF, his fund as opposed to SPAC is listed on the LSE.

Right, thanks.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Any random individual can pick up the paper tomorrow, pick a trending stock and have the exact same odds (50%) of doing as well you do. I don’t see why you see that as something special!

finally me and jimbo agree on something...:D

I knew he wasnt a trader or investor and couldnt make money in the markets,
    that explains why he never picks a stock in any of his posts.. at least now he admits it, so some progress.

okay everyone back to the markets and investing, jim will be back shortly with a nothing comment no doubt but at least now we know how he has performed in the GREATEST BULL RUN IN HISTORY , he didnt cos he admits he could not make money out of trading...

Probably the worst day of the year to sell and make a gain from a CGT POV. Just saying :D

And may all your problems be as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Arcadia group about to collapse, the online retailers are seeing a boost because of this. Probably have plenty of room left to run with them yet.
    Im already in ASOS, its up 3% today to 46.39, Bohoo up 6%, JD Sports up 7%.
    Coupled with Christmas coming up, shops closed, even more people moving to online clothes shopping, the quarterly numbers for these could see a huge boost for these in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Any more experienced investors looked at Franklin Wireless Corp FKWL?

Their recent quarter results are impressive, company looks undervalued to my novice eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Compass pathways has popped up on my radar again who are developing psilocybin therapy to treat depression. I think it was mentioned here before.

Their IPO was in Sept and the price seems to have settled around the mid 30 range, but of course still early days.

Going to keep an eye on it for now but this could potentially be the stock that you lose your money on or get a 10x return.

Up 19% since posted and another 12% pre-market today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

ASAN is still undervalued compared to its competitors. It will surpass 35 in a few weeks and will smash the next earnings. Similar to PLTR they direct listed in October and did not not perform well.

Yes I am aware, Asana is a basic project management platform. Companies can literally develop an in house projects management system in weeks...

The founders of Asana were both interviewed on The Social Dilemma documentary film on Netflix and I quite like and share their version for future working.

Personally will probably start a small long position on it this today and see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Slack looks like its going to take off again today.

EDIT, Salesforce deal to be announced at EOD tuesday https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/30/salesforce-deal-to-buy-slack-expected-to-be-announced-tomorrow.html?__source=twitter|main

retalivity wrote: »
    Slack looks like its going to take off again today.

EDIT, Salesforce deal to be announced at EOD tuesday https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/30/salesforce-deal-to-buy-slack-expected-to-be-announced-tomorrow.html?__source=twitter|main

Feck. Bought this before earnings (on admittedly the hype of zoom, tesla etc) it crashed, I was bag holding and sold out at small loss.

Some one mentioned the quote the stock market is a way for the impatient to give their money to the patient. This is a perfect example.

Congrats to all those holding. Lesson learned for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Another bloody share offering from NNDM this morning (which I was expecting but not so soon), anyways I managed to grab more shares on the Frankfurt exchange (ticker 2N5B) for 5.80$, tiny volume and crap spread as a result, but anyways they are back up to 6.55 now and in the green for the day already. Mad stuff that it jumped back up so fast, but anyways the Frankfurt exchange is proving very useful to me to buying up stuff on news before the usa premarket even opens.

Opened at a whopping +3% overall today and less then an hour later I'm -1% overall so far.. This daily watching isn't good for my health

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

Have a chunk of Slack, but never been through this process of a takeover. What exactly happens if Salesforce are to confirm this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Bought into Palantir last week mid 20's... pure FOMO. Typical.... its falling on its ass now, after two/three savage weeks of basically upwards only movement.

I'm not too worried as its a long term play, and if it tanks back into the teens, I'll double down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Jeeze, everything freezing today, I guess the BTC new ath has the rabble foaming at the mouth.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Glad got rid of NKLA last week...May be Citroen are right....Who knows...

EV's not the flavour today...looks like they buying Crypto :)

Cyclicals down as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

I enjoy this thread and value the contributor opinions. I have also done my own research and hold a trading account outside of my pension.
    Right now I have a lump sum of $13,000 to invest in a self traded pension. I have just set up a self trading pension account with Conexim.

Key Considerations.
    - This is a pension fund so long term buy and hold only. Stability is key. I know this should be Coke Cola, Berkshire etc. but I am happy to be a 8-9 out of 10 risk profile.
    - I think USA stocks are running hot at the moment so I'm happy to hold emerging market stocks.
    - I have a 20+ year time frame to retirement :mad: (generalisation).
    - I only want about 6 picks. I hope to add yearly. $13,000 limit.

What would you spend $13,000 on. Wildcards accepted.

Microsoft MSFT $215.00 10 $2,150.00
    MercadoLibre MELI $1,500.00 2 $3,000.00
    PayPal PYPL $210.00 0 $0.00
    Pinducocuo PDD $145.00 0 $0.00
    Alibaba BABA $280.00 6 $1,680.00
    JD JD $90.00 12 $1,080.00
    Google GOOG $1,800.00 0 $0.00
    Shopify SHOP $1,050.00 2 $2,100.00
    Bristol-Myers S BMY $64.00 20 $1,280.00
    SAP SE $120.00 $1,200.00
    Total TOT $55.00 $0.00
    Sea SE $183.00 0 $0.00
    TSM TSM $98.00 15 $1,470.00
    AMD AMD $88.00 0 $0.00
    Take2 TTWO $178.00 0 $0.00
    CrowdStrike CRWD $150.00 0 $0.00
    Veeva VEEV $275.00 0 $0.00
    Roku ROKU 285 $0.00
    $13,960.00

If nothing else I'm happy to share my thoughts on stocks I like and get an interesting debate going. I do some of my own research (not always technical) and I'm a member of a few subscription services. I like other options like PSTH/Trade Desk/Stone etc. etc. but the bouncy ones I'll try trade on my personal account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MurDawg wrote: »
    Have a chunk of Slack, but never been through this process of a takeover. What exactly happens if Salesforce are to confirm this week?
    This week, if it's confirmed, you'll see the Slack share price more or less pegged to the Salesforce share price. Both would go up and down in unison for the next few months.

Then in a few months, when the transaction completes, there'll be some day you log into your brokerage account, and your Slack shares are gone, and Salesforce shares are there instead.

I'm hearing this will be a stock+cash deal too, so the cash bit will be paid out as a dividend on that day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Glad got rid of NKLA last week...May be Citroen are right....Who knows...

EV's not the flavour today...looks like they buying Crypto :)

Cyclicals down as well.

I wonder is it worth entering NKLA in this dip. I have an order sitting at 15 euro a share. Probably won't drop enough but would be great if it did I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

cronos wrote: »
    I wonder is it worth entering NKLA in this dip. I have an order sitting at 15 euro a share. Probably won't drop enough but would be great if it did I think.

Have a look at this video especially clips from Mad Money and you will see a CEO who looks like the the captain of a sinking ship. Cramer knows it too and is easy on him but NKLA as a business is fcuked. There are no trucks, no badgers, no future and there might be a speculative bounce here and there but in 6 months it mightn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0giBtH2vQNU

Watch at 7.30 when he gets asked about the badger....there's more chance of me developing the badger truck than Nikola.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Stablelad123

Bob Harris wrote: »
    Have a look at this video especially clips from Mad Money and you will see a CEO who looks like the the captain of a sinking ship. Cramer knows it too and is easy on him but NKLA as a business is fcuked. There are no trucks, no badgers, no future and there might be a speculative bounce here and there but in 6 months it mightn't exist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0giBtH2vQNU

Watch at 7.30 when he gets asked about the badger....there's more chance of me developing the badger truck than Nikola.

The Badger Truck was put on hold indefinitely today.

Nice call.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

There are a lot of Wall St raids in play the last couple of days, there always are.
    This mornings open and you could see so many stocks dropped on no news. It was all a play to shake some hands out .
    Typical Monday action, its only the first day of the week.
    If you have faith in your companies then hold .

NVAX just hit 140, Id scalped some gains on it, but still had a significant holding that I bought sub 50 , and rode all the way to 189, and watched it fall back to sub 70, but I believed in it and held and continue to do so. Sometimes the faith pays off.

Chinese EV numbers for November are out this week, I expect them to be very good , I think todays action in the big boys trying to get their hands on some cheap EV shares, NIO, LI, XPEV.

And BTC continues to deliver, MARA and RIOT recover 30% , Id sold out some late last week but thats okay I moved it to NNOX which is up 13% , lets see how it does when they run the live demo and the investor chat on Tuesday.

If you had a stock and saw it drop early today but it miracolously recoverd later, study the day chart, this is how they grab shares that you have , they run it low and then scare you off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Agree with the above sentiments, stay away from NKLA folks...GM walked away...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Agree with the above sentiments, stay away from NKLA folks...GM walked away...

Damn right they walked away...Nikola could give them nothing they could drive away in!

Advertisement