Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

Jesper wrote: »
    I enjoy this thread and value the contributor opinions. I have also done my own research and hold a trading account outside of my pension.
    Right now I have a lump sum of $13,000 to invest in a self traded pension. I have just set up a self trading pension account with Conexim.

Key Considerations.
    - This is a pension fund so long term buy and hold only. Stability is key. I know this should be Coke Cola, Berkshire etc. but I am happy to be a 8-9 out of 10 risk profile.
    - I think USA stocks are running hot at the moment so I'm happy to hold emerging market stocks.
    - I have a 20+ year time frame to retirement :mad: (generalisation).
    - I only want about 6 picks. I hope to add yearly. $13,000 limit.

What would you spend $13,000 on. Wildcards accepted.

Microsoft MSFT $215.00 10 $2,150.00
    MercadoLibre MELI $1,500.00 2 $3,000.00
    PayPal PYPL $210.00 0 $0.00
    Pinducocuo PDD $145.00 0 $0.00
    Alibaba BABA $280.00 6 $1,680.00
    JD JD $90.00 12 $1,080.00
    Google GOOG $1,800.00 0 $0.00
    Shopify SHOP $1,050.00 2 $2,100.00
    Bristol-Myers S BMY $64.00 20 $1,280.00
    SAP SE $120.00 $1,200.00
    Total TOT $55.00 $0.00
    Sea SE $183.00 0 $0.00
    TSM TSM $98.00 15 $1,470.00
    AMD AMD $88.00 0 $0.00
    Take2 TTWO $178.00 0 $0.00
    CrowdStrike CRWD $150.00 0 $0.00
    Veeva VEEV $275.00 0 $0.00
    Roku ROKU 285 $0.00
    $13,960.00

If nothing else I'm happy to share my thoughts on stocks I like and get an interesting debate going. I do some of my own research (not always technical) and I'm a member of a few subscription services. I like other options like PSTH/Trade Desk/Stone etc. etc. but the bouncy ones I'll try trade on my personal account.

Another very tech heavy portfolio there my top 5 out of those for a 20 year hold would be:

1. Google
    2. Sap
    3. Microsoft
    4. PayPal
    5. Crowdstrike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

I decided to add some gaming stocks into my portfolio today

TTWO:
    Not a lot of short-term catalysts, but great long-term pick since its valuation multiple is low relative to the recent past.
    It is Overvalued.
    I have done my homework on this one and the next GTA is in development without a doubt.
    As soon as GTA 5 was announced the stock shot up and never really stopped rising other than a few healthy pullbacks with the broader market. The run up it had from the time it was announced to the time it was released was significant.

GTA 5 was the most successful video game of all time in terms of revenue. The video game world is going to go nuts when it’s announced and the stock should reflect the excitement.
    The only problem is it could be a couple more years before we even get an announcement.
    They are benefiting from the stay-at-home culture and video games are probably going to keep increasing in popularity for the rest of our lives.

ATVI:
    Best portfolio at the right time. Most of the top games on Twitch are ATVI.
    Overvalued

Current valuation: $79.57
    Valuation of entry parameters:
    Analyst ratings: Buy
    Analysts target price: 90-95

Tenacent:
    I don’t know much about this one. Saw it on a forum recently.
    Article from Motley is an interesting read though. Might put it on my watchlist and pick it up in a few weeks.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/10/02/is-tencent-stock-a-buy/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

Tencent are a Chinese giant, basically if you want to sell your games in China you have to give them your soul/shares
    They have Epic/fortnite, Activision, Roblox on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

I use the Vaneck eSports ETF as a gaming play, has all the big names in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

RIGOLO wrote: »
    We all have limited time, so this weekends research was not spent (yet) on upcoming earnings but in reading PSH Pershing Square Holdings (Bill Ackmans fund) June semi-annual report, all 47 pages, its a cliffhanger, I cant wait for the movie.

So Id begun building a position in the PSTH SPAC (thanks to ambergold who alerted me to it) and based on the report Im increasing that significantly in coming weeks. Its the largest blank cheque spac in operation 4 billion in investor funds , 12 billion was bid, and they shut it down after 2 days it was so oversubscribed. PSH have option to add 1-3 billion making it 5-7 billion in total.
    Lots of rumours and public comment from Ackman himself saying he is having discussions with alot of well known private entities, airbnb, bloomberg and stripe. I think Stripe is the one he wants, PSH need to add a fintech to its portfolio, they are overweighted to restaurant and hospitality. And when you consider PSH made 40% gains even with major holdings in those sectors it shows how well managed it is as they hedged early for a shutdown and won big. Also PSH is in 101-105th position for FTSE100 rating, Ackman wants addition to FTSE100 and becoming an index funds target, he doesnt understand why PSH is undervalued and isnt already in, but Im betting he is betting on the PSTH deal when its announced getting them over the line.Also Ackman has reduced the normal SPAC founders shares and commissions, so its all benefiting the spac investor. Once the merger is announced I expect PSTH to increase considerably.

So its all about PATIENCE, we are entering a time of life and the seasons where foraging for food, stockpiling and hibernation will all pay dividends in the new year. Same applies to stocks and thats why Im gathering up all the PSTH nuts I can buy and expecting to feast on them come early spring at the latest.

BlackFriday e-commerce up 22% on last year.. should be a few stocks out there that will report amazing numbers for Q4 based on this, just need to find the ones that dont have all of this priced in yet or have had a small dip. So again patience and ability to wait for the pop will pay off in 2021.

this is all just opinion good luck all.

I think Stripe are too big for this personally. The volume is massive on this one but with spacs the market acts like a 5yo when the company they all want isn't the merger company. Ackman will get something big though! Expect a pullback if it is not stripe or a fancible company like robinhood your fav app ;)
    They recover quite quick though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Has anyone used Grayscale Bitcoin Trust to get exposure to Bitcoin? Haven't done any research on it yet but sounds like an easy way to get Bitcoin into your stock portfolio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

RedRochey wrote: »
    I use the Vaneck eSports ETF as a gaming play, has all the big names in there

Thanks! Looks interesting. Would you know why is there 2 different prices for it? On trading212 I am getting 40USD and on Google and Yahoo Finance I am getting 60USD!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

RedRochey wrote: »
    Has anyone used Grayscale Bitcoin Trust to get exposure to Bitcoin? Haven't done any research on it yet but sounds like an easy way to get Bitcoin into your stock portfolio

I think they have higher fees compared to say Coinbase... but I may be wrong on that.
    I big upped MARA and RIOT pre this BTC spike, still kicking myself I sold a chunk at what I thouhgt were highs. Cest la vie.
    HUT8 is my newest entry for this, smaller position , but it claims to have kept alot of the Bitcointhey mined, albeit they are using older slower miners, as BTC goes up, if it goes up then HUT8 will gain as will BITFARM one of the largest miners

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I think Stripe are too big for this personally. The volume is massive on this one but with spacs the market acts like a 5yo when the company they all want isn't the merger company. Ackman will get something big though! Expect a pullback if it is not stripe or a fancible company like robinhood your fav app ;)
    They recover quite quick though.
    v.g.
    if Ackman merges with Robinhood, Im out, Ive got some standards I cant be hanging with those millenials... :D

Ackman has been very vocal saying they want to be a minor partner up to a 15% stake, thats so he wont scare off partners. So yes Stripe are big but so big they may be happy with Ackman being a small partenr. Plus Ackman has been touting the names of his major backers in PSTH, these are not public knowledge yet but Ackmans reasoning is that these are long term stable investors who wil lgive a company time to evolve whihc makes this chunk of money appealing to a new IPO prospect.
    Theres alot of FOMO on it now, maybe everyone is planning to exit right after the announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Moderna up 51% since I bought them. I was actually going to go with Pfizer but I heard something about the owner selling their shares after they announced their vaccine which seemed a bit odd. I just wish I got more of Moderna. Although I said the same thing about Square.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I decided to add some gaming stocks into my portfolio today

TTWO:
    Not a lot of short-term catalysts, but great long-term pick since its valuation multiple is low relative to the recent past.
    It is Overvalued.
    I have done my homework on this one and the next GTA is in development without a doubt.
    As soon as GTA 5 was announced the stock shot up and never really stopped rising other than a few healthy pullbacks with the broader market. The run up it had from the time it was announced to the time it was released was significant.

GTA 5 was the most successful video game of all time in terms of revenue. The video game world is going to go nuts when it’s announced and the stock should reflect the excitement.
    The only problem is it could be a couple more years before we even get an announcement.
    They are benefiting from the stay-at-home culture and video games are probably going to keep increasing in popularity for the rest of our lives.

ATVI:
    Best portfolio at the right time. Most of the top games on Twitch are ATVI.
    Overvalued

Current valuation: $79.57
    Valuation of entry parameters:
    Analyst ratings: Buy
    Analysts target price: 90-95

Tenacent:
    I don’t know much about this one. Saw it on a forum recently.
    Article from Motley is an interesting read though. Might put it on my watchlist and pick it up in a few weeks.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2020/10/02/is-tencent-stock-a-buy/

Keep an eye on CD Projekt Red. They are a Polish game developer that developed "The Witcher" games and the upcoming "Cyberpunk 2077". Their stock is available on the Warsaw Stock Exchange under the ticker CDR. Because they are listed on the Warsaw Exchange this surprisingly put a lot of investors off.

p to the e wrote: »
    Keep an eye on CD Projekt Red. They are a Polish game developer that developed "The Witcher" games and the upcoming "Cyberpunk 2077". Their stock is available on the Warsaw Stock Exchange under the ticker CDR. Because they are listed on the Warsaw Exchange this surprisingly put a lot of investors off.

I imagine for liquidity reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Moderna up 51% since I bought them. I was actually going to go with Pfizer but I heard something about the owner selling their shares after they announced their vaccine which seemed a bit odd. I just wish I got more of Moderna. Although I said the same thing about Square.
    Moderna did the same . Idiot sold at $80 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Just looked up my closed transactions for Moderna, $78 or so, only 40 of them thou. Spooked at the time by all the insider sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Cashed out of Tesla at 580 booking a 30% gain. Spooked by the dip yesterday but it's back up a wee bit now. Hope it wasn't a bear trap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

All my gains getting hammered by the weakening dollar. Time to look closer to home I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

bfa1509 wrote: »
    All my gains getting hammered by the weakening dollar. Time to look closer to home I think...

Was reading an article about the UK economy. My biggest gainer so far in my very short history of buying stocks has been Boohoo has been the best.

Curious if there are any UK / Europe suggestions myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Agree USD is down anything between 5-10% from the summer...

holding few UK stocks.

Rolls Royce
    Capita
    Hammerson
    PayPoint
    4D - recommended here

Also have IAG - got it in Euro's

Markets are spooked because the dumb bint whos running the NASDAQ just announced today that going forward all boards of directors have to have one woman and one person from a minority as a member.
    The last bastion falls, the walls have been breached.
    The dumbest of dumb rules that Ive ever heard. MBAs and 30 years of business experience will count for nothing, your seat has been given to the one legged cis gender native of Vanuatu.

Im just waiting for the day they demand diversity in nature.
    All lion prides must contain one antelope. All killer whale pods must have one dolphin member. Every kettle of vultures must make room for one dove .

Come to think of it, do we have any women posting here, cmon show yourself and be dammed ... else close this thread its not fit for purpose where is the diversity.. oh yeah its in our portfolios .:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Markets are spooked because the dumb bint whos running the NASDAQ just announced today that going forward all boards of directors have to have one woman and one person from a minority as a member.
    The dumbest of dumb rules that Ive ever heard. MBAs and 30 years of business experience will count for nothing, your seat has been given to the one legged cis gender native of Vanuatu.

All lion prides must contain one antelope. All killer whale pods must have one dolphin member. Every kettle of vultures must make room for one dove .

Come to think of it, do we have any women posting here, cmon show yourself and be dammed ... else close this thread its not fit for purpose where is the diversity.. oh yeah its in our portfolios .:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

I see that, but the Nasdaq is up currently. I've no problem with a woman (or more) being mandatory. If there are all male boards out there they surely have issues.

But, someone just because they are from a minority background is bonkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

AmberGold wrote: »
    Just looked up my closed transactions for Moderna, $78 or so, only 40 of them thou. Spooked at the time by all the insider sales.

Sometimes, people just wanna buy yachts!

NNOX(36.74) was the Israeli company Id come across also....
    UXIN (1.23) - China online used car company ...
    SOL (5.32) - has had a recent pop but ...

NNOX hit 68.39 - 86%
    UXIN at 1.39 - 13%
    SOL at 8.21 - 54%
    obviously my board of directors needs more diversity and a woman member :p:p:p
    7 days some nice gains, with a bit of scalping along the way , and used those profits to build bigger positions in the likes of PSTH

Ive had a few stonkers in the same timeframe, everybody does, DPW being one (although having worked for a number of Israelis , smart but tough b'tards I still think they may come good) , but you never win them all, just as long as you win more than you lose .

Been watching CRSP - Crsiper the cas9 genome editing company, stock has been making good gains in the last 6 months and really up in the last 2 weeks, their tech is coming through for them. Anyone been following them or that sector and care to share some thoughts, my expertise in genome editing stopped at procreation .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I heard the US may be passing legislation that could delist many Chinese companies currently trading on the US Stock Exchange. Is this something we need to worry about?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Well you got cathie wood she's beating the hell out of the s&p with ark invest, she's so good that everyone is just copy trading her almost a meme at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

hottipper wrote: »
    Well you got cathie wood she's beating the hell out of the s&p with ark invest, she's so good that everyone is just copy trading her almost a meme at this stage

However they are trying to push her out lol.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Thanks for the laugh, you serious thinking investors are dumping positions because of this???????????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

bfa1509 wrote: »

Alternatively, a strong euro allows you to buy more shares in USD than a few months ago...
    Im wary of buying more GBP stocks at the mo as i already have plenty of exposure already and think its gonna weaken vs the euro in the new year with brexit and associated fallout, etc.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Thanks for the laugh, you serious thinking investors are dumping positions because of this???????????

THE 15 YES FIFETEEN 'sticking out tongues' MIGHT HAVE TOLD YOU It WAS A TONGUE IN CHEEK POST...
    .:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

but I see you continue to post in a stock pick thread but never pick a stock..you seriously think people consider you a trader or investor.

Jim"Over the past 30 years I knew I could not make money out of trading"2007 nice to know you read my posts...

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Jumped into PSTH today... so you've been warned. It'll be 1 by tomorrow :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 culchie_abroad

I've also joined the PSTH train... we'll either be sipping champagne or splitting cans of dutch gold in Q1.

Anyone else into Palantir? Small pullback so far this week.

Also Telos is starting to move, up 16% today.

Advertisement