Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 doolepat

Some fun today... red across the board - almost every EV play that I'm tracking or holding in the red, NKLA up 7.5% at the minute... explain the logic on that one :-) Holding long term across portfolio so not panicking plus only investing what I can afford to lose... €1k bet on WKHS will have to wait until the 2021... looks to be a buying day though for anyone with the spare capital though...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

nkla is speculation IMO, people are buying based on the cancellation announcement, hoping it will go up in the future.
    A very risky strategy, and one that makes a TSLA investment look solid by comparison!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I took profit 2 days ago from my degiro shares. Had turned 5k into 10k since April and liquidated half of all quantities so freerolling the rest now, they have got a whack the last few days, but you gotta take the red with the green.

Had to take it out for mortgage money which was the reason I was playing around with it but boy does this industry get you hooked for life, bit obsessed with reading absolutely everything from a lot of sources, blogs discord, podcasts, email subscriptions, mywall st etc.

There's lots of stocks I want to get into but can't for above reasons and I cant wait to get back in next year or whenever I finally get a house and start a proper portfolio I don't need to sell some for others again.

At least I actually took profit this time which is the hardest thing to do. In the last bitcoin boom, i turned 5k into 32k then cashed out 5k and didn't want to make that mistake again. Crypto really is the wild wild west and I much prefer the stability of the stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

If anyone is still in Nikola, SELL!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Just picked up some EBR. Hoping to get to $9 by end of Q1 2021.

• Advertisement

Trying to be diplomatic here.

How would you describe the speed of your tax returns on share trading?

Very fast = 10. Very slow = 1.

Very close to 1 myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Wombatman wrote: »

Very close to 1 myself.

I keep timing out on ros.ie when trying to sign in to my account so cannot even submit anything right now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Atlas_IRL wrote: »
    I took profit 2 days ago from my degiro shares. Had turned 5k into 10k since April and liquidated half of all quantities so freerolling the rest now, they have got a whack the last few days, but you gotta take the red with the green.

Had to take it out for mortgage money which was the reason I was playing around with it but boy does this industry get you hooked for life, bit obsessed with reading absolutely everything from a lot of sources, blogs discord, podcasts, email subscriptions, mywall st etc.

There's lots of stocks I want to get into but can't for above reasons and I cant wait to get back in next year or whenever I finally get a house and start a proper portfolio I don't need to sell some for others again.

At least I actually took profit this time which is the hardest thing to do. In the last bitcoin boom, i turned 5k into 32k then cashed out 5k and didn't want to make that mistake again. Crypto really is the wild wild west and I much prefer the stability of the stock market.

My degiro account has been in the red for almost 2 years now overall. Not great for the mental health.

All the shares I've made small plays on have made huge gains and my big plays have all dropped 40/50%.. Such is life (damn hype stocks where all logic goes out the window)

BUT The last 6 months has taught me a huge amount but still in the red so to see people go from 5k to 10k gives me hope and is a serious return. Congrats I'm hoping to be in green some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DutchYurt wrote: »
    My degiro account has been in the red for almost 2 years now overall. Not great for the mental health.

All the shares I've made small plays on have made huge gains and my big plays have all dropped 40/50%.. Such is life (damn hype stocks where all logic goes out the window)

BUT The last 6 months has taught me a huge amount but still in the red so to see people go from 5k to 10k gives me hope and is a serious return. Congrats I'm hoping to be in green some day!

I learned a very good lesson a couple of years ago. I manage my wife's and my own account, on her account I just researched and bought and left well enough alone. My own account I kept chasing runners and trading like a lunatic and lost a bunch whilst hers kept pulling away.

These days I'm far more picky about what i invest in short term and am able to resist jumping in the fomo train , PLTR and RIDE being excellent examples, though perhaps I was too cautious on those but there I learned too about setting limits. I'm getting too old (and maybe wise) to chase stocks that move >15% a day or the likes !

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    I learned a very good lesson a couple of years ago. I manage my wife's and my own account, on her account I just researched and bought and left well enough alone. My own account I kept chasing runners and trading like a lunatic and lost a bunch whilst hers kept pulling away.

These days I'm far more picky about what i invest in short term and am able to resist jumping in the fomo train , PLTR and RIDE being excellent examples, though perhaps I was too cautious on those but there I learned too about setting limits. I'm getting too old (and maybe wise) to chase stocks that move >15% a day or the likes !

I've actually set up a 212 account to do just that for DCA approach on stocks I see as 5 year hold. Degiro is just my big red whale. All I want to is to get to 0 or even +1 euro. Seeing - and red every day is tough. But patience seems to be the key here.. However with Edesa which is one I am chasing.. it just keeps dripping down. I bought at 8.6 at the start of September, its now 4.78 and counting down...After a big buy i'm trying to DCA to average down, a hybrid of sorts..

I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and fear it might be a loser, going to give it until for more trials news and just go from there.. but if it hits 4.5 first my alarm bells will be going off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Very close to 1 myself.
    0.5 here!
    ;)

ELM327 wrote: »
    0.5 here!
    ;)

So you are close to 1 too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Supercell wrote: »

Similar story here, hard lesson, I only ever buy on lows now despite how much FOMO I'm suffering from.

If the stock I want isn't at a low I time my entry or pickup something else that is.

I use two brokers, DeGiro was my starter account and is red all over but up 20% due to a few Growth plays. I'm gradually getting out of my crappy picks.

My other account in Interactive has never been red and shows a significant gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

AmberGold wrote: »
    Similar story here, hard lesson, I only ever buy on lows now despite how much FOMO I'm suffering from.

If the stock I want isn't at a low I time my entry or pickup something else that is.

I use two brokers, DeGiro was my starter account and is red all over but up 20% due to a few Growth plays. I'm gradually getting out of my crappy picks.

My other account in Interactive has never been red and shows a significant gain.

Why have two accounts? How do they compare in terms of the tools. I'm with Degiro.

AmberGold wrote: »

I shudder everytime I open degiro to see the big negative. I imagine this is why paddy power doesn't record losses on peoples accounts! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

I've actually set up a 212 account to do just that for DCA approach on stocks I see as 5 year hold. Degiro is just my big red whale. All I want to is to get to 0 or even +1 euro. Seeing - and red every day is tough. But patience seems to be the key here.. However with Edesa which is one I am chasing.. it just keeps dripping down. I bought at 8.6 at the start of September, its now 4.78 and counting down...After a big buy i'm trying to DCA to average down, a hybrid of sorts..

I'm not seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and fear it might be a loser, going to give it until for more trials news and just go from there.. but if it hits 4.5 first my alarm bells will be going off

As a noob I'm also struggling with FOMO, this is a great thread to pick up tips, particularly in Pharma and EV of late. After a summer of poor choices to try and pick up under valued companies that would recover after C19, airlines, oil etc, I've rebuilt some long term holdings and much smaller bites on the more risky plays like PLTR and NNDM. When you see them go +20% in a day you wish you put in more... but like you guys are saying, patience pays. Have managed to stay in green for the last couple of weeks. might be learning something. DutchYurt I am cracking up reading your posts... wish I had the same sense of humour when my own choices tank ...

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

sirboby wrote: »

(2-11-2020)
    I am getting into CDProjekt's stock, CDR for a ~3-6 month play

I think its getting near time to reduce my holding, up a good amount and would like to reduce the risk that there new game bombs.

Think I'll wait it out a few more days tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

Also, I am getting really tempted to take out a small bit of margin on Degiro.

I know the risks, but don't know if it has many tax implications.

Anyone want to talk me out of it? please :)

Cpfm wrote: »
    As a noob I'm also struggling with FOMO, this is a great thread to pick up tips, particularly in Pharma and EV of late. After a summer of poor choices to try and pick up under valued companies that would recover after C19, airlines, oil etc, I've rebuilt some long term holdings and much smaller bites on the more risky plays like PLTR and NNDM. When you see them go +20% in a day you wish you put in more... but like you guys are saying, patience pays. Have managed to stay in green for the last couple of weeks. might be learning something. DutchYurt I am cracking up reading your posts... wish I had the same sense of humour when my own choices tank ...

I bought into Slack after the FOMO of missing earnings seeing the hype around ZOOM. Jaysus was I wrong. Some times all you can do is laugh, I had to explain to my friends I'm not stupid just fiscally irresponsible and I think that sums it up!

Too much positive going around with covid. I'm just playing anchor here, you guys think it's going bad, lets see whos negative is bigger (get your head out of the gutter).

Does anyone have a number for the stock market man I've a complaint to make :pac:

But honestly if there is someone I could complain to I'd appreciate it. Drawing fake lines going upward on trading view just doesn't cut it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

But honestly if there is someone I could complain to I'd appreciate it. Drawing fake lines going upward on trading view just doesn't cut it anymore.

You could try the SEC but I think they are utterly useless. The shenanigans that go on are outrageous at times and they are powerless. I'd say you'd have more joy writing to your local TD.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    You could try the SEC but I think they are utterly useless. The shenanigans that go on are outrageous at times and they are powerless. I'd say you'd have more joy writing to your local TD.

I meant it more along the lines of "Yes Mr Stockman, can you make my stocks go up please?... Wednesday? Sure! I can hold the line"

If you ever write to your TD just make sure it's in a brown envelope, gaurentee it'll be opened :pac:

I digress, what do people think of Nvidia? It's been on a screamer since March - I think it might go to 4 digits at this rate

NDQ | CRSR Crosshair looks like it could be potentially a good price around the 33.90 USD mark.

UPDATE: Trade went through at 33.80

Bought GBT a couple of weeks ago. Up 10%. I hope to get it up around $65 in the next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

I meant it more along the lines of "Yes Mr Stockman, can you make my stocks go up please?... Wednesday? Sure! I can hold the line"

If you ever write to your TD just make sure it's in a brown envelope, gaurentee it'll be opened :pac:

I digress, what do people think of Nvidia? It's been on a screamer since March - I think it might go to 4 digits at this rate

Tipped by MF also.. yes.. that's the extent of the homework I've done on Nvidia

cronos wrote: »
    NDQ | CRSR Crosshair looks like it could be potentially a good price around the 33.90 USD mark.

UPDATE: Trade went through at 33.80
    Eleven analysts cover Corsair stock. Creutz rates it at Hold, while the others say it is a Buy, The average target for the stock price is $36.65, which suggests a potential gain of roughly 7% from the level at midday on Wednesday.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/corsair-gaming-stock-falls-after-downgrade-valuation-is-the-issue-51606936243?siteid=yhoof2

Yes not super cheap I agree and doubtful it will see 50 again. Might just hit 40 though. Obviously speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I shudder everytime I open degiro to see the big negative. I imagine this is why paddy power doesn't record losses on peoples accounts! :pac:

SkyBet show this, I switched to them to get visibllity and gave up gambling pretty quickly after that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

We've all been there with the hype stocks, I'd definitely keep the hype stocks to 10% of my portfolio. 90% of my stocks I can honeslty say, I never worry about, and don't consider selling. The 10% of punt stocks are the ones that might work and make a big boost, but if they fail, my portfolio as a whole won't be red.

• Advertisement

Bought GBT a couple of weeks ago. Up 10%. I hope to get it up around $65 in the next couple of months.

Even more value there now...:o

Advertisement