Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats incorrect , a small number of stocks drive the bulk of gains in every countries market , the vast majority of stocks are at eighteen month lows and more , disney was higher in march 2015
    DIS is down 8% from where it was a year ago.

Majority of stocks still way up from 1 year ago.

We can keep going back and forth, but this drop is only severe due to the crazy increases in the last few months.

AAPL still up 50% from last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Greatest bull run and they continued to fall for the past 6 years.

Now at its lowest since 09 paying a near 10% dividend.

grand if i get stopped out so be it should at least make it back to 7.50
    time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Tesla
    - Uber
    - Snap

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those companies folds before the end of the year. If an Uber driver is identified as a virus spreader in the US they'll be bust by the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I think Uber will be in it for the long term as they actually have a decent product, are widely used and are now legitimately another part of the public transport landscape many parts of the world. They are in the same club as Google, hoover and, in an Irish context, tayto - people don't get taxis, they get Ubers. They are transacting, providing a useful service and have a great platform and the add on businesses (jump and Uber eats) are solid businesses that are useful to the wider economy.

Snap I'm not so sure about, they are dependent on a small number of large advertiser's so if some of them pull out they are in trouble, they are getting eaten by Instagram also and they don't transact with anyone. They don't really have any decent underlying product so there is always a danger of people wandering off to the next fad (like TikTok) or one bad event or wrong software update from losing loads of users, losing ad revenue and going kaput

Also, hats off to the guy/gal who posted AIM Immunotech, it's up by 285% since that post was made. I'm playing with small money but nice to get a win like that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

S&P500 futures up 2.95% as of right now, please let this have bottomed.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

I've never bought shares but I've being following the market for a few years. I'm considering the following later in the year

Apple
    Delta
    Coca Cola
    Mastercard
    Microsoft
    Tesla

Then to a lesser extent I'm willing to take a punt on
    - Uber
    - Snap

Nice selection, maybe add Twitter and stay clear of Uber, overpriced still because they struggle to make profits. Worse, to do so means they’ll have to increase prices which won’t go down well with customers.

Supercell wrote: »

Oil war will have to be fixed to find any kind of bottom. Covid19 has caused enough carnage as it is, we don’t need more.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Kamu

I'm waiting on funds to transfer to my Degiro account.

I'm thinking:
    Norwegian Crusies or Delta
    Apple or Microsoft
    Visa
    S&P etf
    Possibly Sony or Disney?

1000euro each.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Nice selection, maybe add Twitter and stay clear of Uber, overpriced still because they struggle to make profits. Worse, to do so means they’ll have to increase prices which won’t go down well with customers.

My only thinking behind behind uber is that they're so big and they're expanding into so many sectors, that the moment they segments cornered the prices go up and they'll make profits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Supercell wrote: »

So much volatility at the moment it’s hard to know. Wouldn’t be surprised at another test of the low. Then again, everyone is expecting that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

In these days of Coronavirus hysteria is anybody keeping an eye on drug trials/genome research companies ?

I like Open Orphan (ORPH : AIM) ? ... they are a drug trials/genome research company that have recently doubled in size as a result of a merger, and gained a potential block buster flu vaccine drug in the process.

CEO Cathal Friel seems to be a serious deal maker who talks a great game and he is making no secret of the fact that its going up for sale once the combined entity is profitable.... somewhere in next 12 months. (he owns a stack of the equity himself and is locked in for 3 years).
    canonball5 wrote: »
    AIM Immunotech (AIM), they had their CEO on Fox news a couple of days ago as they have applied for two patents covering the use of Ampligen to treat and prevent the Coronavirus.

Great call

Kamu wrote: »
    I'm waiting on funds to transfer to my Degiro account.

I'm thinking:
    Norwegian Crusies or Delta
    Apple or Microsoft
    Visa
    S&P etf
    Possibly Sony or Disney?

1000euro each.

Any thoughts?

Some observations:

Carnival have had to shutter 65 ships, Norwegian will do similar. Cost impact enormous and likely to take a while to recover. Research the debt levels and the ability to continue to pay the rich dividend. Very cheap at these prices if you believe that they'll bounce back when this virus is solved with social security payments bankrolling lots of the elderly US citizens to have a holiday. The big question is to what extent this business is severely damaged by the notion that ships are a nest for every type of virus and best avoided.

Delta is a very strong airline but significant overseas exposure. In the sector, probably one of the best legacy carriers.

Apple and Microsoft both superstars of late.

No opinion on Visa or MasterCard, big players, deep pockets, transactional based.
    Wealth creating banks eg JPM and Goldman my preferred choice.

Don't do etf's so no opinion.

Disney and Sony .... I like both but would choose Disney.

Just my 2 cents.....

Only found this thread lately and enjoy the contributions. Some very knowledgable posters.

I don't day trade but I'm invested in equities for more years than I care to remember.

Again, as frequently mentioned here, research the companies you are interested in.

Thanks to all and happy hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Futures now up 4.5%, fed must have cured Covid19 / sorted oil prices out overnight.

Futures now up 4.5%, fed must have cured Covid19 / sorted oil prices out overnight.

Hoping for another dip to load up more

Some observations
    Again, as frequently mentioned here, research the companies you are interested in.

Thanks to all and happy hunting.

Thank you, I very much appreciate your in depth response, and for voicing your thought on regards cruise stocks. I was feeling the same considering their clientele would be older folks who might be fearful of the ability of viruses to spread around the ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

ANXIOUS wrote: »
    Up over 200% at one stage today. Hopefully they do have the vaccine.

What a fluke, just looked after a few days and see it is up over 500% since I bought.

Thanks to whoever initially mentioned AIM.

Thank you, I very much appreciate your in depth response, and for voicing your thought on regards cruise stocks. I was feeling the same considering their clientele would be older folks who might be fearful of the ability of viruses to spread around the ships.

That said Kamu, if you have a long term time horizon, cruise popularity has soared in recent years. I’ve no doubt it will return with new protocols in place to allay ‘getting poisoned’ concerns but can their balance sheets survive the famine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I'm not jumping back in just yet. Think Covid-19 situation is going to get worse, particularly in the US, before it get quantifiably better.

Wombatman wrote: »
    I'm not jumping back in just yet. Think Covid-19 situation is going to get worse, particularly in the US, before it get quantifiably better.

Would markets not have factored this in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Would markets not have factored this in?

You can't factor in panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Majority of my watchlist is green today so far. Considering yesterday was almost entirely red, it will be very interesting to see what happens when the NYSE opens today.

Still looking for long term value, not short term trades.

What I'd be looking at:
    AMD
    HSBC
    Global ETF clean energy
    Potentially one or two airlines

That said Kamu, if you have a long term time horizon, cruise popularity has soared in recent years. I’ve no doubt it will return with new protocols in place to allay ‘getting poisoned’ concerns but can their balance sheets survive the famine.

Thank you Kilcrea, I'm in my mid-20s, so I'm in it for the long game (20+ years), unless the stocks spike massively.

I'll check the details of Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I do believe that there will be fear surrounding cruises until a vaccine is circulated, but in long run they'll recover and grow.

weemcd wrote: »
    Majority of my watchlist is green today so far. Considering yesterday was almost entirely red, it will be very interesting to see what happens when the NYSE opens today.

Still looking for long term value, not short term trades.

What I'd be looking at:
    AMD
    HSBC
    Global ETF clean energy
    Potentially one or two airlines

I'll be looking at Clean Energy etf too. Especially considering the oil price crash, I think we'll see mire interest in clean energy.

You’re right in the sense that volatility will reign for some time. Oil is key in my view.

Thank you Kilcrea, I'm in my mid-20s, so I'm in it for the long game (20+ years), unless the stocks spike massively.

I'll check the details of Royal Caribbean and Norwegian. I do believe that there will be fear surrounding cruises until a vaccine is circulated, but in long run they'll recover and grow.

20+ years, great, you’re going to do very well.

You can't factor in panic.

No but markets are already looking months into the future. This panic is just creating opportunities (IMO)

I'll be looking at Clean Energy etf too. Especially considering the oil price crash, I think we'll see mire interest in clean energy.

Wouldn’t cheap oil reduce the interest in clean energy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Futures meant very little it appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you have balls of steel, probably some in here could be big winners in time - https://seekingalpha.com/article/4330867-42-s-and-p-500-stocks-down-50-from-52-week-high

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement