Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

pot stocks are one to watch today. Aurora and Canopy growth

House of representative vote today and earlier this week the WHO downgraded its danger as a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

House of representative vote today and earlier this week the WHO downgraded its danger as a drug.

Don't touch aurora with ten foot pole (long term anyway).

Looks like USA will follow path of Canada , I don't think I have the resolve to jump on that rollercoaster again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

robman60 wrote: »
    Same as, great call from the poster. I remember they said it was recommended by someone who puts huge figures into one stock at a time with a 2-3 year horizon or something - hopefully they're well up at this stage!

Had continued buying Intel between 44-47 and it's steadily climbing. The dividend is nice while I wait too.

UMC up another 12% to 8.70 premarket now. No news whatsoever, only minor thing are Taiwan stock's boost due to the whole China vote, but TSM up nowhere near as much. So pure momentum play? Do I sell and aim to buy back if it pulls back or sit tight and hope the momentum keeps going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Timmaay wrote: »
    UMC up another 12% to 8.70 premarket now. No news whatsoever, only minor thing are Taiwan stock's boost due to the whole China vote, but TSM up nowhere near as much. So pure momentum play? Do I sell and aim to buy back if it pulls back or sit tight and hope the momentum keeps going.
    Well I'll be holding anyway. I don't tend to sell unless my opinion of the company overall changes (Twitter being a recent example, taking profits now that it's increased from the big post-earnings dump).

For me, if I sold I (a) wouldn't be sure what level to get back in it and (b) would feel I had missed out if it kept rising.

Time in the market versus timing the market and all that.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

Aurora has 2.5 billion debt, compared to .5 last year. I'll say it until my grave as someone who got stung by them stay away from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

outonawing wrote: »
    First day trading as Luminar technologies LAZR today, nice bounce. Bought late August at $10.80, now $23+.

Hit $30 in early trading today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Soo, in summary, do your SPAC shares become LAZR shares ? (At a pro rata to the IPO price)...and you also have additional warrants which allow you buy more LAZR at the IPO price?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Wow, owner is 25! Crazy being a billionaire at 25 years of age. I went with Velodyne but will be a while yet to try bounce back to my bep but reading up a bit now it looks like these have way more patents and could be a much better bet.

Elon seems dead against Lidar but some of these companies are also ripe to be purchased or if some of the big self-driving tech firms choose Lidar over radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Soo, in summary, do your SPAC shares become LAZR shares ? (At a pro rata to the IPO price)...and you also have additional warrants which allow you buy more LAZR at the IPO price?

My GMHI shares were converted to the same number of LAZR yesterday morning. No option to buy more that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Bob Harris wrote: »
    VSTM was building up to a day like today for a week or more. Shot up Wednesday afternoon and in AH trading.
    Something afoot but mere mortals like ourselves aren't privy to those goings on.
    Sold 2/3 of my holding for above my average price overall but for a loss on the FIFO basis so will be a few quid off the CGT bill. Have 400 of them left at an avg of 1.41. We'll see if there is some news and a real pop or will go back to where they came from and wallow like they usually do. I've been holding for Verastem for 3+ years and had enough of them to be honest. There is better value to be had elsewhere like PIC (XL Fleet). Up nearly 25% since I got in on Tuesday.
    OwlsZat wrote: »
    Ya it's a slow burner but the science is spot on. Big fan but likely a year from now until the big readouts. One of their molecules is an immune suppressor and appears extremely effective at dampening the cytokine storm COVID is famous for. If its not that has to be a buyout.

I hope you held Bob. Flying the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 steer

Any thoughts on Momo?

Fastly up 7% there's chatter that it's to be bought over by Cisco - I'm still in the red on it but will hold to see how this pans out!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Exxon Mobil Corp [XOM] should be able to get back to €50 in the next 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

steer wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Momo?

Bought them a on 17 Nov. Got cold feet and sold on the 25 for a small loss.

Bit of a gamble but could well be worth it.

Poor third quarter earnings could see another downgrade. Give it a week.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/momos-q3-earnings-beat-estimates-142102185.html

$17 - $20 wouldn't surprise if earning pick up.

One of my cats is called Momo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Bought Starbucks today, so you may as well short it knowing my luck!

Bought Starbucks today, so you may as well short it knowing my luck!

I'm in this comment and I don't like it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Treppen wrote: »
    Don't touch aurora with ten foot pole (long term anyway).

Looks like USA will follow path of Canada , I don't think I have the resolve to jump on that rollercoaster again.

the last time you said that about Aurora, it went up 30%

A 30% gain doesn't change the fact it's a fundamentally flawed company.

Treppen mentioned you can make a short term profit - best of luck if you want to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I hope you held Bob. Flying the last week.

I've dumped them all now. It may have been premature but I've been cycling out of more uncertain companies and getting my holdings down to 4/5 core longer term holds that I will add to and to achieve that VSTM was the last to go. No more small holdings and no more punts on the likes of VTSM which could explode or will more likely just be a dog in the portfolio. Apart from 'dodgy' companies there'll be no more mickey mouse speculative buying either. €200/300 of a stock is pointless really in my mind. A 50% pop which is very decent but still 'only' €150. If I put 200/300 now it'll be adding to a bigger position I hold. I'd sooner get 5% on 3/4k invested in a more solid company than 50% today that could be back to where I started or worse tomorrow though arguably the likes of 4D Pharma and XL Fleet are hardly blue chip and I'm considering bitcoin also.

I think it was Supercell a few days ago said that his wife's best left policy alone was far more profitable than him chasing trades here and there. I've a similar story whereby my mother had a policy maturing a few weeks ago and I went to the financial advisor with her so she knew what was going on. Ignorance is bliss it seems. Regular savings long term and just rolling policies over as they matured and hardly knowing what she had worked out very well to the point where I had to convince that she had as much as she had.

I've bought all sorts of shíte and lot of them got me well into the green this year so quitting the 'speculative trading' while I'm ahead and looking towards longer the longer term by opening or adding to longer positions.

Fastly
    Opened at 82.69
    Peaked at 97
    Now trading around the 91-92

My BEP is 91 - with currency fluctuations 94 will be my BEP.

If the Cisco news is true, take over target SP would be about 130..

I'm not sure whether to sell out now after recovering my losses or hold on a bit more. Thoughts?
    I think I might hold a bit more.. but what a run of a day.. Will be splurging on the takeaway tonight!

Edit - now 89... that was short lived.. wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

NIO down ~20% this week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

weemcd wrote: »
    NIO down ~20% this week

Do ya get the monthly activity mails from Degiro? It was the most traded stock on Degiro for November in 11 of 18 european countries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Do ya get the monthly activity mails from Degiro? It was the most traded stock on Degiro for November in 11 of 18 european countries

I don't think so, or if I do I've not read any before

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

Ya ok I suppose I just didn't know when to pull the plug as I watched a long falling knife (although got out before it hit bottom too). I've been hearing about 'Legalisation' in the USA since 2017 after Canada was on the path but it's just so messy I can't really see it happening in the US at a federal level, so if it happens locally then it's going to be right skirmish. Investors will be looking to throw money at the next big thing and then the companies will have too much money to know what to do with ( remember Bruce Linton! ). So maybe you can get in and get out quick.

I'm finally back in the green with Aphria and foolishly also dumped Canopy at 25 just before it started to rise again (but got in at 9, so take what wins I can these days). Any Aphria holders here? Think I recommended them to some poor souls a year or 2 back at 17$, who knows though! As it's my last holding I'm just holding out of sheer nostalgia (Warren Buffet would probably not approve of that philosophy).

Where's this all going though? Massive warehouses to grow plants ( Aurora Sky anyone!! ) seems very old technology when the pharmas are going for pure synthesis, as opposed to extracting from a tonne of plants.

When that happens it'll negate the whole patient-smoking-for-medicine argument. What's left will be cannabis smokers and edibles , and generally smoking is kind of a bad thing these days be it vaping, tobacco or cannabis. Edibles and Beverages... that will probably be a mixed bag like craft breweries.

Long term, I have my eye on InMed for their glaucoma trials using CBN, early days as with all their other phase trials but I think that's the way forward for medical applications.
    For a research biotech they seem over priced at what they are trading at, but if they can crack it , it might be good.

Any pharma people on here care to have a quick look and comment on InMed and potential market size if it comes good?

https://www.inmedpharma.com/science/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I've dumped them all now. It may have been premature but I've been cycling out of more uncertain companies and getting my holdings down to 4/5 core longer term holds that I will add to and to achieve that VSTM was the last to go. No more small holdings and no more punts on the likes of VTSM which could explode or will more likely just be a dog in the portfolio. Apart from 'dodgy' companies there'll be no more mickey mouse speculative buying either. €200/300 of a stock is pointless really in my mind. A 50% pop which is very decent but still 'only' €150. If I put 200/300 now it'll be adding to a bigger position I hold. I'd sooner get 5% on 3/4k invested in a more solid company than 50% today that could be back to where I started or worse tomorrow though arguably the likes of 4D Pharma and XL Fleet are hardly blue chip and I'm considering bitcoin also.

I think it was Supercell a few days ago said that his wife's best left policy alone was far more profitable than him chasing trades here and there. I've a similar story whereby my mother had a policy maturing a few weeks ago and I went to the financial advisor with her so she knew what was going on. Ignorance is bliss it seems. Regular savings long term and just rolling policies over as they matured and hardly knowing what she had worked out very well to the point where I had to convince that she had as much as she had.

I've bought all sorts of shíte and lot of them got me well into the green this year so quitting the 'speculative trading' while I'm ahead and looking towards longer the longer term by opening or adding to longer positions.

This is a really great post.

As a newbie, I'm torn between ETF's, dividend stocks and simply buying blue chips and adding to them over time and just letting them grow. It's a bloody minefield and one I'm certainly trying to way up.

You see posters here mentioning stocks and the work they've done etc and my head spins TBH. I backed PSTH because Rigolo picked it and a load of people followed and I thought, "Sure what the hell". Now, it was very small money, but it highlighted my naivety.

The one area I am intrigued about is companies going for their IPOs. I'm looking at AIRBNB and Petco.

Again, I'm a newbie and just starting out so this a minefield, so it was definitely good to hear of your honest experience.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

80s Child wrote: »

As a newbie, I'm torn between ETF's, dividend stocks and simply buying blue chips and adding to them over time and just letting them grow. It's a bloody minefield and one I'm certainly trying to way up.

You see posters here mentioning stocks and the work they've done etc and my head spins TBH. I backed PSTH because Rigolo picked it and a load of people followed and I thought, "Sure what the hell". Now, it was very small money, but it highlighted my naivety.

The one area I am intrigued about is companies going for their IPOs. I'm looking at AIRBNB and Petco.

Again, I'm a newbie and just starting out so this a minefield, so it was definitely good to hear of your honest experience.

Cheers

Nothing naive about buying PSTH, actually one of the best options about currently if you are patient. In the overall scheme of things it won’t be a long wait.

Don’t buy into an IPO day one, they have a turbulent start which can go on for a while, have a look at SNOW, Unity software etc to get a feel..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Soo.... Its been a great few months. Soo great in fact, I'm getting worried.

Everything I have invested in (after doing my own research) has turned to gold....or at least silver.

Excepting a few wild punts that I took from tips on here and other fora which have turned to dog pooh (but you'll always have that)

I'm posting now, because I've run out of share buying ideas.... basically from midsummer onwards I bought up what I considered to be sure fire recovery plays in energy, retail and discretionary/leisure.

They have done really well..... but now all those companies are basically back to pre covid highs.... and adding further will only dilute my winnings.....and maybe I should in fact be taking some of those winnings off the table?

Anybody else think there might be a major pull back after Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Soo.... Its been a great few months. Soo great in fact, I'm getting worried.

Spare a thought for the chicken licken's that went to 100% cash in March....and missed the biggest & fastest stock market recovery ever. Not me btw, but they know who they are.
    Soo anybody else think there might be a major pull back after Christmas?

Maybe, but its a coin toss, you could miss another rally just as easily. My earned profits this year will cushion any short term pull back blow for me anyway...and I imagine most of the serious posters on here have made big profits this year too.

Anybody else think there might be a major pull back after Christmas?
    Not too likely IMO, there's nothing that could upset it at the moment as I see it, Vaccines on the way, US Presidential changeover is at a standstill till Jan, most comapies have beat results in the past while, and there's gonna be some big headlines about the amount of trade done online for Christmas that will boost ecommerce, finance stocks.

Anyway, no point in guessing it, as you've seen this year, Staying invested is the easiest way to profits.

• Advertisement

80s Child wrote: »

Cheers
    Good luck getting invovled, there's a bit to elarn that you'll probably pick up through a bit of trial and error. IMO dividend stocks are a fools gold for people paying Irish income tax. I get taxed 42% on any dividends I recieve, whereas if a growth stock increases share price, I get taxed 22% on the gain. Also, it's a lot easier for share price to grow over time if it's not paying out dividends.

IPO's are tough, as others mentioned, wait a week to see where it's landing. Have a look at some recent IPO's, Snowflake settled about the $230 mark (was about $300 on day 1). Lemonade settled about the $55 mark (was about $80 on day 1). Once you see a base emerge, that's a good time to buy in. Almost without fail, the day 1 price available to us will be a lot lower within the week

Advertisement