Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭daheff

....and maybe I should in fact be taking some of those winnings off the table?

Anybody else think there might be a major pull back after Christmas?

I think we will see some pull back into the new year.market will be watching Xmas retail numbers, Brexit deals.

This time of year is prone to see a lot of buying as fund managers don't want to be left sitting on a lot of cash for year end. Investors want their money invested!!

So money could be taken back off the table early Jan.... especially if there are any US hiccups between Trump & Biden

Look at Jan returns for markets over last 20-30 years to get an idea of what might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

weemcd wrote: »
    I don't think so, or if I do I've not read any before
    They send an image of the most traded stock in a month. Here's November 2020, NIO all over the place.

e2NVs0qqKX1denibz8JTqYYFSeZb6mDolSg-iZAOix1E0MSQjygRFi5S2S_hja05LUO9qyGQxszMSyeDSu1RXIuls_PGyPHP7lNSd5BypKCtjl0iQ0n6Qi8g_zV6WJ5czRosokELMw14ozlTTiDorXdbXCqxChG6X5fylQtIYsIvPVvNJuVzfr7nzrudkUlPVQiN-lfrZqeD_Kor7DvGiGYM6eFzvrH6mRflW1CmiFBuCaYSMo2fJ41bE-DSNgTo5tkwUu4q5aW2fHmob0_PVmZWfG4=s0-d-e1-ft#https://marketing-image-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/6363dae82d6d7deee1c981d9374adb9c7d80271b7fa66a5b3b2c6f91597167b2b2733c8dcc73b8a0bd23edcda013f458cc7db10ffc8a3cd0b2ce04a1ccecb0ac.png

Go back a month to October and it wasn't top of any market
    TvIanDTc4zHguVdM00_X07obgSa422aL_tsgXx6MI2MEbPZWiAdOBFgyWLAx0RVj4P-RjttlIQdsrmqhIn-uP2m2vZ5W7DvyCQimsQgH3nscdIqE2zKQ1jFZQv3iY7ROJA-7jZ_gYeV0Cxvfb9scb0pDIdQzNJyNb_cN1xUWBxtwMdd5dzvWrAi2Eu9CycfrsexLnoKBSbRywzYhI4SNzbwR6Xku7Jjq4678_0Hcl0AYSGmKQAPkkKNqU-y9e2uI825_KvT_QOfMsBFpbojoNV06XCo=s0-d-e1-ft#https://marketing-image-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/0957a83dc4d850bc438af34e1e4b232655006dcf1eaed776258ca01c8e488eb8fcc3b4d9f08702043ac897b4bab518d337a01218374e1bac9f0c38054bb76529.png

September was fairly Tesla!
    ZwBCFQhFXPE_UE0ZOUJaXaNO2ErRcRw59HcyWvwo__8sYXzMZIvQ3ivysOLMA07NyAfuCEsbVlWdNf4Z-HS95Wns8VwkKRcrrgRTVoG8r62PgMdCb16m8hz0JQ1YDSk_LeoRLm8wmxU55RDxFLAaj17mARGfRRbKVceldX2eI-9EhGk8CbYLaZdzZ0yfyhMNm18MS4hMDW8t_N9zX7a7XeRE45zSk2wRVqdIm4DSV7R20W3krnJ5mxkMTNI9aBVxTwqUWLu5aBh9WNrTRt7CMamb80U=s0-d-e1-ft#https://marketing-image-production.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/316f3e83a8dbe53c718b2aa0879c23fe6190a1bc2ff542e9435e1fff10eea8e1041b1c163fe3c9b66d4820eebcb25532608dbe55e892adf7126935fde2b39672.png

Ireland has been Tesla most of the year, BOI was top in June, Apple in October

One interesting one I always find is the Poles. They always have somethign obscure at number 1.
    CD Projekt (Computer Games)
    Biomed Lubin
    CCC SA

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭butrasgali

I'm thinking of investing in roblox,they are due to float soon,any opinions on this would be greatly welcome .cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

butrasgali wrote: »
    I'm thinking of investing in roblox,they are due to float soon,any opinions on this would be greatly welcome .cheers

I've heard theyve been around since 2004 and have had losses ever since. I fail to see the attraction personally.

butrasgali wrote: »

I hadn't heard of them really, but if you're interested, have a listen to the latest episode of Stock Club podcast, they discusss it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Bob Harris wrote: »
    I've dumped them all now. It may have been premature but I've been cycling out of more uncertain companies and getting my holdings down to 4/5 core longer term holds that I will add to and to achieve that VSTM was the last to go. No more small holdings and no more punts on the likes of VTSM which could explode or will more likely just be a dog in the portfolio. Apart from 'dodgy' companies there'll be no more mickey mouse speculative buying either. €200/300 of a stock is pointless really in my mind. A 50% pop which is very decent but still 'only' €150. If I put 200/300 now it'll be adding to a bigger position I hold. I'd sooner get 5% on 3/4k invested in a more solid company than 50% today that could be back to where I started or worse tomorrow though arguably the likes of 4D Pharma and XL Fleet are hardly blue chip and I'm considering bitcoin also.

I think it was Supercell a few days ago said that his wife's best left policy alone was far more profitable than him chasing trades here and there. I've a similar story whereby my mother had a policy maturing a few weeks ago and I went to the financial advisor with her so she knew what was going on. Ignorance is bliss it seems. Regular savings long term and just rolling policies over as they matured and hardly knowing what she had worked out very well to the point where I had to convince that she had as much as she had.

I've bought all sorts of shíte and lot of them got me well into the green this year so quitting the 'speculative trading' while I'm ahead and looking towards longer the longer term by opening or adding to longer positions.

I appreciate your new strategy and response but think in the fullness of time on Verastem you'll be shown to be wrong. Fundamentally though your right don't punt on things you don't understand or stretch yourself so far that you can't fully research. Better to only have positions you'd be happy to add to over time.

OwlsZat wrote: »
    I appreciate your new strategy and response but think in the fullness of time on Verastem you'll be shown to be wrong. Fundamentally though your right don't punt on things you don't understand or stretch yourself so far that you can't fully research. Better to only have positions you'd be happy to add to over time.

I'm not writing them off as a company at all and have no problem being wrong in selling them now. Rather than a criticism of the company it's a criticism of my own strategy or lack of one to put it better. The first time I bought was not long before the FDA approval in 2018 and I averaged down a few times to the point where I had 2-3k in them. Got out for some profit in the end and started buying back in and ended up doing the same - averaging down and getting out for a few quid profit but not really any the richer but hopefully now a bit the wiser.

There is a big difference between adding on dips to a long term hold and averaging down to try and get a lower BEP point, hope for a spike and get out without losing. I find I was doing the latter too often through lame brained buys. If VSTM did drop again to $1 - $1.20 range I will admit it would be hard to resist getting in again as I do agree on their prospects and there in lies the draw of the market and the importance of discipline and setting rules for yourself.

I said above I have sold all the more speculative holdings but forgot I still hold VKTX in a another account. I think they're due trial results in the first half of 2021 and I'd expect some strong NASH data going on what they've released to date. Once that proves to be a 10xbagger I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

UMC seems to be flying in pre-market.. kicking myself for selling out at 7!

Question for the group, who usually sets up this thread for 2021? I'm keen to finish 2020 like everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DutchYurt wrote: »
    UMC seems to be flying in pre-market.. kicking myself for selling out at 7!

Question for the group, who usually sets up this thread for 2021? I'm keen to finish 2020 like everyone else

Sounds like you've nominated yourself!

retalivity wrote: »
    Sounds like you've nominated yourself!

Ha, fair enough. Will set her up in a week give a good chance to get some 2020 picks in!

• Advertisement

Fastly
    Opened at 82.69
    Peaked at 97
    Now trading around the 91-92

My BEP is 91 - with currency fluctuations 94 will be my BEP.

If the Cisco news is true, take over target SP would be about 130..

I'm not sure whether to sell out now after recovering my losses or hold on a bit more. Thoughts?
    I think I might hold a bit more.. but what a run of a day.. Will be splurging on the takeaway tonight!

Edit - now 89... that was short lived.. wow.

There's something going on here, both Fastly and Cisco didn't confirm deny the buy, SP went up 17$ with 35million in volume on friday

It opened at -4% so sitting at 85.. what a wild ride.. there's something going on.. I just don't know what

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

RIGOLO wrote: »
    KODK ($9) - they will get that loan eventually

I had to wait 2 months .. but sometimes , not always, but sometimes the waiting pays off.
    up 59%, hit over $14 on news of no wrongdoing by the board or CEO
    Hard to believe we are expecting 30,40,50% swings on stocks in a few months but if thats the game, then lets roll the dice.

Anyways , lets move some of these profits to PSTH before they dissipate.
    KODK mcap still only 900m and loan is for over 700 so will leave a bit there as this week it should run some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

How do people track their portfolios? I have an excel doc that works OK on a portfolio level but I don't have anything set up for specific stocks

Is there any good websites? I know yahoo finance is good but anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teroknor83

Spreadsheet for me for now.

3 worksheets. portfolio summary with all stocks, dollar cost averaging of each stock and dividends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

RedRochey wrote: »
    How do people track their portfolios? I have an excel doc that works OK on a portfolio level but I don't have anything set up for specific stocks

The BEP feature and profit/loss features on Degiro, are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭jams100

bcklschaps wrote: »
    The BEP feature and profit/loss features on Degiro, are handy.

The overall profit/loss figure on degiro isn't at all accurate though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I use Yahoo finance personally but I check a few things, degiro, stocktwits, random stock apps on android.

I must get an excel worksheet setup to properly track

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Anyone use WallMine? Looks handy enough, just a bit of work at the start setting it up

I've mentioned Investing.com before for keeping track of prices. Very hand website and app to set up as many watchlists as you like and for the most part they are real time prices.

jams100 wrote: »
    The overall profit/loss figure on degiro isn't at all accurate though

What do you mean? You mean I'm not in the red? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Excel now has a stock data type so I have my purchase price & fees as a fixed value, and the stock price is updated every time I open the sheet. Very easy to set it up, just input the ticker and it'll figure out the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Bought some PSTH at 26.25. Hope for the best!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

cronos wrote: »
    Bought some PSTH at 26.25. Hope for the best!

welcome aboard the SPACkman train ... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 culchie_abroad

RIGOLO wrote: »
    welcome aboard the SPACkman train ... ;)

It's actually starting to tank on the back of a tweet by Patrick Collison... looks like it's not Stripe.

Keep the faith in Bill and buy the dip? Thoughts?

It's actually starting to tank on the back of a tweet by Patrick Collison... looks like it's not Stripe.

I sold out of fear at 25.51. One of my poorest trades to date but it's hard to put a value on a stock like this. How much is tied up in the hope it's Stripe. Seems to have rebounded though. So that's couple of hundred down the drain haha. Will rejoin if it drops a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,283 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

PLTR has had some day, up 21%. Already in at $23, and had an order in for $21 for the last week or so that never got filled.
    Will fill my boots if it yo-yo's again.

While on the topic of apps, I'm looking for something to track the 1 week, 1 month, 3 moht etc performance of stocks. In my head It's an app that I can just put in the 30 stocks or so that I've invested in, and it';ll show me those values in a table. Sounds like it should be straightforward but I can't find anything, Yahoo Finance doesn't show me. Anyone have anything like that?

I went to school with him.. I doubt he'll answer my text though :pac:

He just may answer your tweet though. He cost me 10's of euros today (well technically a little more ;) ).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

Congrats him on the IPO, he might answer

Advertisement