Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

cc87 wrote: »
    I think it will be a very slow burn for 2077.

It sounds like it won't/doesn't run well on current gen consoles and needs PS5/xbox series x. Without the console market it's not going to have the big bump on stock price it might otherwise. It's also had a very buggy launch when will again delay it's effect.

Having said that, if they get the multiplayer aspect that's rumoured for late 2021/2022 it could be the same as GTA V and be a big earner for years to come.

Down another 10%. Might pick up as much as I can over the coming weeks. This should start creeping up once the bugs are sorted out and the sales numbers start coming in. I'm no hardcore gamer but apparently Witcher 3 was similar at launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭outonawing

Valhallapt wrote: »
    I really want to buy RBLX , but I tried to buy ABNB via DEGIRO and it just went crazy before the opening trade. How can I get on the RBLX ipo before it hits the opening market?

See post 6751 from Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭testtech05

p to the e wrote: »
    Down another 10%. Might pick up as much as I can over the coming weeks. This should start creeping up once the bugs are sorted out and the sales numbers start coming in. I'm no hardcore gamer but apparently Witcher 3 was similar at launch.

Must do some more research on this one sounds promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Long. How are those low hanging liaroidi feeling, now?
    The funds have to buy....supply/demand up she goes,... €700

I haven't shorted them. Trading at over 1000 times earnings, you'd have to wonder. They remind me of Bitcoin. Just doesn't make sense.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

testtech05 wrote: »
    Must do some more research on this one sounds promising.

From what I remember most gaming stocks do well in the run up to a big launch, but then start to decline no matter if the game was a big success or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

RedRochey wrote: »
    From what I remember most gaming stocks do well in the run up to a big launch, but then start to decline no matter if the game was a big success or not

Except in 2018 when fortnite sucked money from every game.. I backed TTWO at the time because of red dead (which is an awesome game) - fortnite smashed every single one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,605 ✭✭✭Treppen

DutchYurt wrote: »
    Except in 2018 when fortnite sucked money from every game.. I backed TTWO at the time because of red dead (which is an awesome game) - fortnite smashed every single one.

Fortnite isn't a once off game so has ongoing revenue stream.... Much like.... ROBLOX...

Watch this IPO go even nutser than Airbnb.

Anyone with kids will want to get in on it... Just to try and recoup all that money they spent on Robux vouchers :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Treppen wrote: »
    Fortnite isn't a once off game so has ongoing revenue stream.... Much like.... ROBLOX...

Watch this IPO go even nutser than Airbnb.

Anyone with kids will want to get in on it... Just to try and recoup all that money they spent on Robux vouchers :pac:

Fortnite .. ongoing revenue stream.. tell me about it .
    I had to strike a deal with one of the kids, he loses part of his weekly pocket money as I pay for his Fortnite Monthly Crew pass.
    Its a new departure for Fornite , for a fixed monthly fee you get some free skins , vbucks and battle pass.

I would love to see Epic Games IPO really well run, they could potentially have 3 IPOs, their Unreal gaming engine, the Epic game store and Fortnite itself could all standalone at this stage.

Im officially starting the rumour, PSTH will merge with Epic Games to bring them public. He said he wanted a mature company to partner with, but does a gaming company qualify as a 'mature' company....;)

Looks like the regular Friday price action, a flurry in the morning and small selloff.
    Im already thinking 2021, there where you want your portfolio to be positioned at now imo, ignore the noise of the day to day swings.

And folks Ive been thinking today how lucky we all are to be in sight of the end of 2020 , an annus horribilis , if ever there was one. We are lucky and blessed if our major issues are clearing up the tax and wondering about our portfolios. Many didnt make it to the end of this year, passing on in circumstances no one ever imagined, and many of us will not embrace or imbide as normal with our fellow man during the upcoming yuletide celebrations. So be grateful for the stock gains that are allowing you to fill your stockings.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

RIGOLO wrote: »

And folks Ive been thinking today how lucky we all are to be in sight of the end of 2020 , an annus horribilis , if ever there was one. We are lucky and blessed if our major issues are clearing up the tax and wondering about our portfolios. Many didnt make it to the end of this year, passing on in circumstances no one ever imagined, and many of us will not embrace or imbide as normal with our fellow man during the upcoming yuletide celebrations. So be grateful for the stock gains that are allowing you to fill your stockings.

Its funny you mention that, back in February I left myself a reminder in Outlook to check what date my wife's birthday is this year (Chinese - they use a lunar calendar), but I also left myself a message which I'd totally forgotten about - how has the year gone, did I get the virus yet -no, was I able to go on the holidays I'd booked - no, is there an end in sight - YES!

Its been a rough year but there has been positives out of it - more family time due to WFH for example, a realism of whats really important to me, one to remember, I'm facing 2021 full of hope and optimism right now, its going to be a better year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Vixxy is pumping to 25 - almost everything will take a battering.

Correction - 25.09 as I type this. What happened/is happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭DutchYurt

I'm getting absolutely battered today across the board -7% to -14% is my range for my portfolio :( have a few in the 1/2% green but not enough to fight back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

DutchYurt wrote: »
    I'm getting absolutely battered today across the board -7% to -14% is my range for my portfolio :( have a few in the 1/2% green but not enough to fight back

Down almost 2k today myself. Combo of Brexit, Nio fundraising and just the rest of the market seeming to be poor also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

hold up of stimulus talks...I would see this as an opportunity to grab some...well after chasing NIO forever, picked some there....

hold up of stimulus talks...I would see this as an opportunity to grab some...well after chasing NIO forever, picked some there....

Hope you have better luck than I've had so far. 15% down. But I'm going to hold long term. I've put in another buy if it drops to $39.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Vixxy is pumping to 25 - almost everything will take a battering.

Correction - 25.09 as I type this. What happened/is happening?

Its Friday , the 2 big IPOs this week sucked alot of dry powder .
    We are coming to the end of year and the big firms are booking their profits to meet their targets and get their bonus's.
    Everyone is human, even traders and they are switching to holiday mode, the US , the world has been thru the wringer , if you played it smart alot of money has been made , time to step back. I feel it myself and pretty much everyone I know in the US is taking extended vacations this holidays, some already begun people who normally take 2 days are taking 2 weeks, I think the same applies to Wall St. Thats my 2 cents .. 2021 we rise again .

Picked up a few shares at $13 in the SPAC dMY Technology Group 2 Inc today.

DMYD not to be confused with DMYT, is due to merge with Genius Sports Group in the first quarter of next year. GSG supplies data on sports events to betting operators in what should be an expanding market in the US in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 culchie_abroad

I'm just after taking a small punt (500 to get 173 shares) on UUUU (Energy Fuels). They're a company specializing in uranium mining development.

Uranium stocks have picked up in the last few months on the back of some proposed legislation to try and create a US national strategic reserve.

Longer term however, reserves are low as Fukushima disaster shut down a lot of mines creating a lack of supply along with the green agenda + newer smaller reactors which are being created for other uses. Also India and China building a lot of plants, even if they're closing in Europe.

There was a bubble market in 2007, where Energy fuels was worth 230$ a share, it's currently trading at about 3$. It might be a slow burner to keep an eye on.

The downside is that if we have another Chernobyl/Fukushima, the stock will be worth absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Are the GAN fanboys still aboard that ship? It's one of a few stocks that's in the red and anything else I'd consider (eg Airbnb) is far outside my buy range. Considering doubling down on GAN but maybe I'm throwing good money after bad... Keen to hear a bull or bear perspective on it.

That and PSTH are the only two I'm looking at much at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

robman60 wrote: »
    Are the GAN fanboys still aboard that ship? It's one of a few stocks that's in the red and anything else I'd consider (eg Airbnb) is far outside my buy range. Considering doubling down on GAN but maybe I'm throwing good money after bad... Keen to hear a bull or bear perspective on it.

Yep underwater on GAN, hanging in there on the basis of more states relaxing gambling laws or as a target for an acquisition.
    Shouldn’t be too hard finding something better.

I’ve a shed load in PSTH and it accounts for >70% of my portfolio so won’t comment on that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

robman60 wrote: »

I've found it very hard to look long term on anything this year, there's been so much easy money in the cloud subscription-based stocks. Never had a good reason to sell GAN, still sounds a decent thesis, it just felt like missed opportunity elsewhere

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I've found it very hard to look long term on anything this year, there's been so much easy money in the cloud subscription-based stocks. Never had a good reason to sell GAN, still sounds a decent thesis, it just felt like missed opportunity elsewhere

I bought Gan and Draftings at the same time, sold Draftings at $35 for a tidy profi, but held onto a small holding in Gan that cost me $17.10.

One thing that concerns me is that it is incorporated in Bermuda. Why would this be so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Dropbox up over 10% AH...rumours of a buyout, no idea if true or not, with rumours the less that is known the better! In here a few weeks ago and up nicely already. Rounds off a decent week.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

May I please ask your expertise on analysing BionTech?
    I have around 100 shares of BNTX average around 124. Looking at the market cap its sitting around 30 billion. The vaccine is their first marketable product.
    Analysts estimates are not really positive, in fact their target is between 67 -129.
    Looking at the current situation, the vaccine might bring almost 5 billion revenue to BionTech in 2021.
    Somehow I feel that Bntx didn't get the attention it did require based on the future possibilities.
    On the other hand, there is an argument that the growth is already priced in the share value.
    Do you think bntx will appreciate over in 2021?
    Whats your observations?
    Any response would be highly appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

jinish wrote: »

All I can add is that I'd pay little or no attention to analysts opinion or targets.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

jinish wrote: »
    I have around 100 shares of BNTX average around 124. Looking at the market cap its sitting around 30 billion. The vaccine is their first marketable product.
    Analysts estimates are not really positive, in fact their target is between 67 -129.
    Looking at the current situation, the vaccine might bring almost 5 billion revenue to BionTech in 2021.
    Somehow I feel that Bntx didn't get the attention it did require based on the future possibilities.
    On the other hand, there is an argument that the growth is already priced in the share value.
    Do you think bntx will appreciate over in 2021?
    Whats your observations?
    Any response would be highly appreciated

Think about how analysts really work:

They listen to the earnings call, may be read a report or two, the better ones may feed figures into a model - usually created by someone else and then make some predictions, which gets reviewed by an investment committee of some type or other before it is released to the general public.

They rarely have much contact with the company's management or other leaders in the sector beyond the opportunity they get to ask a question at the earning call. They are usually unfamiliar with the companies operations, in the sense of having visited the various locations of the company nor their middle management etc....

And when they get it wrong, which they often do, do the accept responsibility for their errors? Nope they punish the stock for failing to meet their expectations! "I just lost you cash because I got it wrong, you'd better sell the stock... trust me I know what I'm doing"

Not really the kind of advice I'd rely on, but it's your money....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Jim 2007

I would like to gain access to see the order books on ,initially, Irish Shares.
    You have often mentioned this.
    To what organisation do I need to subscribe to.
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Its Friday , the 2 big IPOs this week sucked alot of dry powder .
    We are coming to the end of year and the big firms are booking their profits to meet their targets and get their bonus's.
    Everyone is human, even traders and they are switching to holiday mode, the US , the world has been thru the wringer , if you played it smart alot of money has been made , time to step back. I feel it myself and pretty much everyone I know in the US is taking extended vacations this holidays, some already begun people who normally take 2 days are taking 2 weeks, I think the same applies to Wall St. Thats my 2 cents .. 2021 we rise again .

Fair enough. I view the Vix as the canary in the coal mine so when it jumps 10% in a day I'm wary. There's no time to step back though, that's when you might be caught slipping. ;)

Speaking of holidays, is anyone else eyeing up or in CWH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Those of you who are super bullish on Airbnb, are you worried about how much the company is affected by outside forces? Lots of places introduced strict laws about who can and can't rent out their house, business licences needed, laws about the number of days rented per year etc. and the general sentiment is that Airbnb harms the rental market and always seems to face a tonne of kickback from local governments.

As a consumer, it's one of my favourite companies ever but I'm wary of putting my investing money in something that can have laws suddenly passed somewhere that could negatively affect the share price. I guess that could work both ways but laws seem to be tightening rather than loosening. I usually like high upside companies, I just think their ceiling is capped slightly. Am I being too conservative here?

Those of you who are super bullish on Airbnb, are you worried about how much the company is affected by outside forces? Lots of places introduced strict laws about who can and can't rent out their house, business licences needed, laws about the number of days rented per year etc. and the general sentiment is that Airbnb harms the rental market and always seems to face a tonne of kickback from local governments.

As a consumer, it's one of my favourite companies ever but I'm wary of putting my investing money in something that can have laws suddenly passed somewhere that could negatively affect the share price. I guess that could work both ways but laws seem to be tightening rather than loosening. I usually like high upside companies, I just think their ceiling is capped slightly. Am I being too conservative here?

If the stock price half's from where it is now I'd be in. Otherwise I think it's too high. It's the same valuation as Facebook was when it IPO'ed. I think Facebook always had an easier path to scale. But at half it's current price I'd give it a go. Facebook halfed after it's IPO back in the day, so could happen here I think.

The valuation the company had back in March was $30 a share. I really don't think $140 or $150 is justified currently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

rugbyman wrote: »
    Jim 2007

I would like to gain access to see the order books on ,initially, Irish Shares.
    You have often mentioned this.
    To what organisation do I need to subscribe to.
    Thanks in advance

I'm not familiar with Irish offerings. Here (Switzerland), most brokers offer the service with prices from free for the local market to about 200 Euros/Month for full access to all markets.

Advertisement